Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Windmill Hut posted:

my mates are talking about how the William Hill 'win $100,000,000 for picking the ladder in order' is a good bet.

"Its only $5 and you can bet 100 times!"

loving hell

18 factorial is 6.4 million million million million million I think. 100 million is no good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

NTRabbit posted:

Matthew Liptak eventually left football early to continue his studies full time, and now he's a respected Orthopaedic Surgeon

Tom Swift of West Coast retired at 22 in 2012 to study medicine.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

realbez posted:

18 factorial is 6.4 million million million million million I think. 100 million is no good.
You think? Did you just work this out in your head?

This is actually a bit sad. The AFL might think about giving some other teams a go on Easter Monday next time (which is fair enough).

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
There's the frawley we know and love!

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

thepokey posted:

the review umpire that says "review underway" and "review complete. Confirmed touched." Sounds like same dude who did the umpires voice from the wonderful SNES (NES?) AFL game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBTndwRoqrU

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
Is there any chance of a team kicking it through the big sticks in the last quarter?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Side eggs for Easter.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

:lol: Frawley ran too far with the ball. Don't see that happen too often.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Bartel just murdered

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Hope he's OK. At least they were able to walk him off.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Combined Scott brother deficit: 139. If you add their scores together they beat Hawthorn by 1.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Deadly Hume posted:

You think? Did you just work this out in your head?

This is actually a bit sad. The AFL might think about giving some other teams a go on Easter Monday next time (which is fair enough).

Hah I wish. Yeah I worked it out a week or two ago so I when I said I think I meant I think I remember.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ouch, that was a drubbing :(

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Our midfield unit is not good

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Thank you Jordan Lewis for winning SuperCoach for me.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Thank you lance franklin for winning ultimate footy for me

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014
Ultimatefooty is a bit poo poo as is. Bench players replacing any position means you can literally have half your team be onballers

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Awful supercoach round. Had Rockliff as vice captain, swapped it to Selwood when he went down, and he shits out an even worse score.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lightinwater posted:

Ultimatefooty is a bit poo poo as is. Bench players replacing any position means you can literally have half your team be onballers

That just means you drafted poo poo.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Diet Crack posted:

Coming from king whinge over the last few years here :rant:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Got a feeling that Geelong might be bound for a stint of mid-ladder placings. Too much talent to outright bottom out but a lot of talent are getting long in the tooth.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Testekill posted:

Got a feeling that Geelong might be bound for a stint of mid-ladder placings. Too much talent to outright bottom out but a lot of talent are getting long in the tooth.
Too early in the season to say so yet, but it's going to be a tough one.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

TG-Chrono posted:

Coming from king whinge over the last few years here :rant:

Just telling him how it was and is, I just carried the rules over from last year sans captaincy which is new.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I'm glad the drug cheats lost.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Watching Shaun Burgoyne play is one of life's great pleasures.

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

Diet Crack posted:

Yeah, the fact that I didn't realise that baffling rules decisions meant that you could basically ignore positions for up to 3 spots meant that I might have concentrated a little too much on players that weren't onballers. On the up side I can now give up all effort to get a decent ruckman and just play 6 midfielders instead. Change my team name to The Grant Thomas All Stars.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Ha, even Barret is right for once.*

Bugg should have had a week and got lucky Riewoldt didnt have any ligament damage in his neck.

*he isnt THAT bad.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Also threatening a journo isn't very kosher, even if he is just a sports journo

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

Testekill posted:

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

EvilElmo posted:

I'm glad the drug cheats lost.

We beat Brisbane, actually.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lightinwater posted:

Yeah, the fact that I didn't realise that baffling rules decisions meant that you could basically ignore positions for up to 3 spots meant that I might have concentrated a little too much on players that weren't onballers. On the up side I can now give up all effort to get a decent ruckman and just play 6 midfielders instead. Change my team name to The Grant Thomas All Stars.

Me circa last year.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

hiddenmovement posted:

Also threatening a journo isn't very kosher, even if he is just a sports journo

Where is the threat?!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

tnimark posted:

We beat Brisbane, actually.

And we beat Port.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nutsngum posted:

Ha, even Barret is right for once.*

Bugg should have had a week and got lucky Riewoldt didnt have any ligament damage in his neck.

*he isnt THAT bad.

He's not right and he is pretty bad

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

spamman posted:

Watching Shaun Burgoyne play is one of life's great pleasures.

Seeing him live is worth ticket price, he's steps a head of most of the guys around him. He seemed to take pleasure in schooling the new Geelong players yesterday, great to watch.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Average score for last home-and-away season was 86.6.
Average score for this first round was 86.6.

Yeah I had to double check that to see if one of the variables had snuck through in the wrong place.

Anyway here's the update of the arithmetic ratings. I'm doing a full recode to add some new features and make it a bit easier to apply to other competitions, so I haven't got around to the silly graphs yet.
code:
HAW	1239  +41 
SYD	1136  -25 
PAD	1100   +5
FRE	1088   -5
ADE	1031  +65
GEE	 944  -41
ESS	 939  +25
NME	 905  -65
RIC	 897  +16
COL	 841   -1
GCO	 757  -32
CAR	 752  -16
WBD	 703  +26
MEL	 640  +32 
GWS	 635   +3
BRL	 592   +1
STK	 454   -3
The thing got 7/9 correct with some tight games so not too bad for the first round of a season.

I've got a rough implementation of the attack/defence ratings thing implemented but it's probably going to take a bit of fine-tuning.

Margins are the same but it's also attempting to predict par scores on how good a club is at the two aspects, e.g. Hawthorn is more attack-orientated, Port Adelaide is pretty well balanced, Sydney and Freo are better at defence. I'll drop more of that science on you when I'm content with the testing (gently caress rounding errors). Meanwhile, here are its predictions for next week.
code:
ROUND 2
Date  Fixture                     : Prediction         
10.04 WCE  933 vs CAR  752 at SUB : WCE by  30 (77.4%) 108 -  78
11.04 RIC  897 vs WBD  703 at MCG : RIC by  19 (68.4%)  97 -  78
11.04 GWS  635 vs MEL  640 at MAN : GWS by  12 (61.0%)  87 -  76
11.04 COL  841 vs ADE 1031 at DCK : ADE by   7 (56.6%)  84 -  91
11.04 GCO  757 vs STK  454 at CAR : GCO by  42 (85.6%) 117 -  75
11.04 PAD 1100 vs SYD 1136 at ADO : PAD by   8 (58.0%)  86 -  78
12.04 GEE  944 vs FRE 1088 at KAR : FRE by   2 (51.9%)  81 -  84 
12.04 ESS  939 vs HAW 1239 at MCG : HAW by  30 (77.3%)  70 - 100
12.04 NME  905 vs BRL  592 at DCK : NME by  43 (86.2%) 110 -  67

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The Deadly Hume posted:

Anyway here's the update of the arithmetic ratings. I'm doing a full recode to add some new features and make it a bit easier to apply to other competitions, so I haven't got around to the silly graphs yet.
code:
stats
The thing got 7/9 correct with some tight games so not too bad for the first round of a season.

I don't know if it's intentional, but your stats are missing a team.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

lightinwater posted:

This isn't quite true - last season you could leave a position empty and have a mid take their place. This season you actually need to have an non-playing player in any spot to have an emergency take their place, so you can still purposely put injured players in, but it leaves you with less depth (particularly come bye rounds) and is generally a risk when you might need an emergency or two.

So I'm not bothered by it, it's a risk/reward thing like anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

realbez posted:

He's not right and he is pretty bad

He ran into the back of an opposing player backing "sideways" metres away from the contest. The only reason he got off was that he gave Riewoldt whiplash instead of breaking ribs.

• Locked thread