Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
That's right, it's no longer just a Fallon bit or an appeal to RuPaul for clemency. The network that brought you JON TAFFER PUNKS BITCHES OUT, INTERCHANGEABLE CRIME DOCUMENTARY SHOWS, and NO ONE CARES WHAT ADAM CAROLLA'S DOING shows you just how fun it can be to not actually sing.

For those unfamiliar with the concept, here's how it worked on Jimmy Fallon's show: There are two rounds. In each round, Jimmy lip syncs to a popular song of his choice, then his guest does the same. Rinse and repeat for round 2. The winner is usually the guest by default; Jimmy likes to end with a concession.

The show follows a similar format, with two celebrities duking it out, LL Cool J hosting, and Chrissy Tiegen providing eye candy and commentary after every round, with the crowd deciding the winner by cheers at the end of the show. The big difference is that in the show, Round 2 incorporates props, backup dancers, and hype videos before each performance. On one hand, you can't be blamed for thinking this cheapens what is at heart a silly competition between two people, each with such impressive natural stage presence (in theory) that any victory besides whatever the audience enjoys is immaterial.

On the other hand,

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, "Stayin' Alive" by The Beegees

Common, "All Night Long" by Lionel Richie

John Legend, "U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer

And in this week's battle, Anne Hathaway vs. Emily Blunt, this happens.

So, once again, that's all happening on Thursdays at 10 PM ET on Spike TV. If you're interested, check it out. If you're a hipster who thinks lip sync battles have lost their edge ever since Fallon started doing them, stay away. And if your name is Fab Morvan, we've prepared a special little seat here where you can watch this Kafkaesque nightmare unfold. There's even an attendant to wipe away the tears from your unblinking eyes. Nice girl; pre-med, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

DivisionPost posted:

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, "Stayin' Alive" by The Beegees

This may be the most beautiful gif I've ever seen.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That big dude from Screen Junkies just got erect.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I watched the first two episodes today. Show is great. Like way way way way better than it has any right to be. May just be the great contestants so far but the future ones look like a good lot too.

Also of note, Chrissy Teigen is John Legend's wife. And in the second episode he performs Slow Motion by Juvenile as she watches in complete horror. It's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2PKLBSlfHU

X-O fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 7, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

I watched the first two episodes today. Show is great. Like way way way way better than it has any right to be. May just be the great contestants so far but the future ones look like a good lot too.

Also of note, Chrissy Teigen is John Legend's wife. And in the second episode he performs Slow Motion by Juvenile as she watches in complete horror. It's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2PKLBSlfHU

I've been a fan since the first one on Fallon. Emma Stone is still the best.

I'd do things banned in some states to that bar chick though... :a2m:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm just going to leave this next sentence on its own and let you decide if this show is something you might be interested in.

A future episode features Mike Tyson vs Terry Crews.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

I'm just going to leave this next sentence on its own and let you decide if this show is something you might be interested in.

:master:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Deadpool posted:

:flashfap:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Deadpool posted:

Well, I'm officially forced to watch this episode at least.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Deadpool posted:

Jesus Christ.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
I'm in it for the entire series run. May it amass more episodes than Chopped in even less time.

For all of it's jocular Spike-appealing bro stuff it's fairly subversive to have things like The Rock syncing "Blank Space" and I think that's neato.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If they can't get Tom Cruise syncing Old Time Rock n Roll in his underpants, it will be a wasted show.

For the whipper snappers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2UVsyVLLcE

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Wasn't this Steve Merchant's concept?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I really want to see RuPaul give this a whirl given that she judges lip synchs on her show.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Wasn't this Steve Merchant's concept?

he's one of the executive producers.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Rock has anti-ego. It almost seems like he wants to humiliate himself, but due to just being unfathomably cool, he can't even manage it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The Rock has anti-ego. It almost seems like he wants to humiliate himself, but due to just being unfathomably cool, he can't even manage it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Nope, still rocking it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He is just the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVRqteiJ3R8 <Gay cowboy music video, Be Cool.

Can't wait ti see him chewing scenery as Black Adam.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I'm not entirely sure this works as a 30 minute show. I loved it on The Tonight Show, but here the trash talking seems super forced and awkward, the commentary bits are terrible, and Chrissy Tiegen is adding nothing of value. They also somehow manage to do fewer songs in 30 minutes (4) than Jimmy Fallon would do in one segment of The Tonight Show (usually 6). It's screams of, "We have 10 minutes of content, so let's stretch this out a bit."

I like the songs themselves, but I'll probably just fast forward past everything else. My favorite part was the commercial they showed on the OnDemand version that had Stephen Merchant doing a bit in...that outfit.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So I found a gif from tonight's episode featuring Anne Hathaway vs Emily Blunt that proves it's a must watch:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
You could even click the link in the OP and actually watch it!

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

He looks like he is having fun and he is going all out definitely helps.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm not finished with this week's episode yet but next week's Anna Kendrick vs. John Krasinski throwdown looks perfectly ridiculous.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Emily Blunt Force is an A+ name, A+ show

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Bump for tonight: Anna Kendrick vs. John Krasinski! (Spoiler)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm amazed at the names they are getting for this. This is the best thing celebrities have done since FarmAid.

Hahaha, holy poo poo NBC passed on this and now Spike is getting tons of celebrities begging to be on the show.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/04/16/how-nbc-missed-out-on-jimmy-fallon-hit-lip-sync-battle/

quote:

When Jimmy Fallon sought to turn the popular lip sync competition feature from the "Tonight" show into a television series, NBC turned down one of its biggest stars — a decision that at least initially seems like an embarrassing mistake.

Fallon and his production partners instead brought "Lip Sync Battle" to corporate competitors at the Viacom-owned Spike TV, where it instantly became a hit. A clip of actress Anne Hathaway swinging on a giant wrecking ball to emulate Miley Cyrus has been watched online more than 10 million times since it first aired last week.

"People are responding to music that they love and to celebrities performing in a different way," said Casey Patterson, executive producer of the series for Spike. "It's like 'Saturday Night Live,' it's always a treat to see celebrities moving out of their comfort zone."

Celebrities are calling Spike "every day" to get on the show, she said, including people who won the competition on episodes that haven't aired yet wondering if they will be invited back.

Oh, and there's this

quote:

Upcoming episodes of the series include an “Empire” showdown between Terrence Howard and Taraji P. Henson

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 17, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This being fun and enjoyable is one thing. This being fun, enjoyable, and making NBC look dumb makes it even better.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

This being fun and enjoyable is one thing. This being fun, enjoyable, and making NBC look dumb makes it even better.

In fairness: the original pitch was more like a legit Voice-style competition series between average people. Sounds like it only became a celebrity hangout / dick-swing show during the transition to cable, which was frankly smart.

On the other hand, can you imagine how intolerable either version of this show would turn with NBC's marketing department behind it? It's bad enough that the people watching live have to deal with constant pointless highlight reels and obnoxious attempts to build social media presence during commercials breaks. On NBC that poo poo would all happen DURING THE SHOW, and on top of that there would be omnipresent ads that constantly promise THE BIGGEST. LIP SYNC. SHOCKER. EVER! (Shot of Carson Daly, as he Carsons "I can't believe that just happened!") So yeah, Spike is kind of making NBC look like idiots in another way.

---

If there are that many previous competitors looking to come back, I wonder if there's gonna be a massive tournament at some point. Spike sets aside the big pile of money they're making on this, lets it grow until they can afford to get the rights to songs like "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "Born to Run" without blinking, then just lets all the previous winners (alongside mainstays like Fallon, Krasinski, and Merchant) run roughshod in a single-elimination tournament to crown the "true" "champion."

Or they can keep it as a fun-as-poo poo celebrity hangout / dick-swing show. It ain't broke enough to fix.

EDIT: Next week is Tyson vs. Crews!

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 17, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I cannot believe the people they are getting to appear on this show. Season 1 might be a couple of friends and acquaintances but the insane press this show is getting, plus the mind blowing Anne Hathaway performances might get other big name movie stars to pop in for the fun and put this show into the stratosphere.

Also, for a pretty face, Chrissy Teigen does a pretty great job just hanging out and chatting with LL Cool J. She actually brings a lot of entertainment to the show.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 17, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
in last week's episode the most substantial thing she did was roll up a bunch of paper or something, pretend it was a joint, then say "i got blunted".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Anna Kendrick was great but Krasinski was robbed. Both of his performances were fantastic. The Jennifer Lopez cameo stole it for her as far as the audience was concerned. His private bartender must have been working overtime after this miscarriage of justice.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

Anna Kendrick was great but Krasinski was robbed. Both of his performances were fantastic. The Jennifer Lopez cameo stole it for her as far as the audience was concerned. His private bartender must have been working overtime after this miscarriage of justice.

Krasinski definitely put the most work in; Kendrick just trolled him so beautifully that it was hard for her to lose the edge.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why does LL Cool J say that "knock em out of the park, Sal!" thing as his sign-off every week?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

DivisionPost posted:

Krasinski definitely put the most work in; Kendrick just trolled him so beautifully that it was hard for her to lose the edge.

I was on Team Krasinski from "Bye Bye Bye" on, but "Steal My Girl" was amazing and I was fine with it going either way.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

DivisionPost posted:

EDIT: Next week is Tyson vs. Crews!

Oh my god :allears:

Terry Crews will be the true king of Lip Sync Battle. The final has to be him vs The Rock.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

pentyne posted:

Also, for a pretty face, Chrissy Teigen does a pretty great job just hanging out and chatting with LL Cool J. She actually brings a lot of entertainment to the show.

Really? Was she better this week? She's been pretty useless thus far, I thought.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I will be shocked if Tyson can hold any stage against Crews. That guy can do anything.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Grifter posted:

I will be shocked if Tyson can hold any stage against Crews. That guy can do anything.

Dude is also a semi-professional dancer, I believe. Likes to do the robot.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm shocked that a convicted rapist and generaly viciousl thug is so warmly held in a nation's heart. It's baffling.

• Locked thread