Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It's been ages since I've played HL2 but I do the crouch jump thing in tf2 all the time. Just the right height to get on top of dispensers :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Resident Evil Revelations 2 is full of some of the greatest chronological order little things I've seen in a video game. Claire and Moira, the first half of each episode of the game, have their adventures six months before Barry and Natalia, the second pair do. This means that certain things you do as Claire and Moira affect Barry's route through the game and in some cases how difficult it is. Take this for example:

Near the end of their first chapter, you have to switch to Moira and open up the door at the far end of the room, which sets off an alarm and sends all the not-zombies running at you. Then you have to defend her while she does it. On the right side of the room there's a valve you can turn that causes the bust in the center to start spitting flames.

You can then go around back and turn it toward the door, blocking the zombies from getting in and causing them to flash fry themselves as they approach. When you play as Barry in his half of the episode, those many months later, the drat thing is still spitting fire and you have to make a pretty lengthy detour to turn it off so you can leave through the same exit.

...But if you DIDN'T use the bust in the fight and instead survived the ambush without it, it won't be on, allowing you to grab a special gun upgrade part that gets destroyed when you turn the bust and circumvent like a third of that part of the chapter! I love it because it's logical. The bust isn't just always on for no reason, it's on because you left it in your wake and someone following you would logically have to deactivate it to continue.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:52 on Apr 7, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Crosspost from Pillars of Eternity thread

This pops up in your save game folder if you start screwing around with cheats on the hardest difficulty. :allears:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Even though it's not IN the game I can say that the new Star Wars Battlefront that will come out is what helps make Battlefield 4 really good and anticipating has made me appreciate BF4 a lot. Most multiplayer maps are very open and aren't just kill hallways and vehicles are a blast. My favorite little thing is the flying fish you can see flying outside the small boat in mission 2, I think. You'll be busy looking at everything going on and alongside the boat are tiny flying fish.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
I'm playing Scribblenauts Unlimited, and just did a mission where I'm supposed to pair up inmates in a prison with someone they can share their interests with, so for example for the football player I spawned a golfer.
The last inmate was a cosplayer who likes video games and anime. I spawn an 'idiot' and the mission gives me a success :haw:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Playing Scribblenauts with a 4-year-old niece is great.

She created a rocket-propelled coyote by pressing random buttons (the game tries to auto-correct your input). This resulted a whole zoo of rocket-propelled animals.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 12:49 on Apr 7, 2015

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

CJacobs posted:

When you play as Barry in his half of the episode, those many months later, the drat thing is still spitting fire and you have to make a pretty lengthy detour to turn it off so you can leave through the same exit.

But on the upside when you show the final boss his gas bill he has a heart attack and dies instantly.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Kennel posted:

She created a rocket-propelled coyote by pressing random buttons (the game tries to auto-correct your input). This resulted a whole zoo of rocket-propelled animals.

I love the satisfied smile Max (I think that's his name, the main character you play as) has while floating in the middle of a crowd of flying animals and a cowboy and a baby with a crown. Just like "Yeah, this is pretty cool, and I did it."

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

So there was a minor controversy recently in regards to Pillars of Eternity about a limerick that was taken out of context and slammed by a particularly hateful individual on twitter until it blew up and game journos got to apply their own spins on it, since that's what happens to jokes these days.

For context: one of the kickstarter backer rewards was writing these epitaphs on tombstone found around the game world in random places. Little silly things that have nothing to do with the plot or setting of the game itself. There's a few dozen of them I think? Anyway, one of them was the above. It's a crude joke, sure, but some people took it to be transmisogynistic, which to be fair is a valid way to read it I guess. Anyway, the thing I like is that Obsidian, instead of just caving one way or another, actually got in contact with the guy who wrote it and asked him what he wanted to do. They could have just removed it or made their own changes and moved on, but for all of their faults, Obsidian is pretty good at courting their fanbase.

Anyway, now it reads:

e: Also another thing I like about Pillars of Eternity is basically everything about it in its entirety

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

"Here lies Boobplate"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If I recall that one has a little jokey rhyme too.

More PoE: this guy you meet in a whorehouse

and if you click the first option...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Here lies Firedorn, a famous poét
Of meter and grammar, no idea he had

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Mierenneuker posted:

"Here lies Boobplate"
Thanks, Josh.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Pepporoni and chease

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Babe Magnet posted:

If I recall that one has a little jokey rhyme too.

More PoE: this guy you meet in a whorehouse

and if you click the first option...

Holy golly, are those ligatures on the s and t? Pretty.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
My favorite thing little thing in PoE is how all the garbage backer content is clearly marked, so you never have to pay attention to it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

graybook posted:

Holy golly, are those ligatures on the s and t? Pretty.
Yyyyyyep. There are some serious nerds who worked on this game and it's wonderful. (And they can even be disabled if you're a cool-thing-hating-jerk.)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My favorite thing about PoE is that, while canonically godlikes are supposed to be mysterious, rare and shunned thanks to the backer content they seem to be the second most populous race next to humans.

Actually no, my favorite thing is the engagement system or whatever it's called since it makes tanking a thing in a real-time non-grid-based rpg.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The backer content in PoE is one of the strongest arguments that backer content shouldn't exist.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

yeah the backer content was implemented in a really clunky way. On the other hand it gave us tombstone-gate, so :shrug:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

JebanyPedal posted:

The backer content in PoE is one of the strongest arguments that backer content shouldn't exist.

I really can't wait until somebody makes a mod to remove all the backer content, both because it will improve the game and for more delicious buttery tears from the backers.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sleeveless posted:

I really can't wait until somebody makes a mod to remove all the backer content, both because it will improve the game and for more delicious buttery tears from the backers.

Why would backers be mad over an optional mod. :confused:

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Alteisen posted:

Because gamers.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Pillars is great for its Quality of Life features. You can toggle the option to highlight every person or interactable object in view. You can tell if a container is empty or not by what colour it's highlighted as. You can pick up all the loot after a battle in one click and send it to your unlimited inventory. Pillars is great because it shaves off the hours spent in RPGs just faffing around with menus,.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Alteisen posted:

"I paid for the right to put a piece of text into a video game and it's a violation of my free speech to hide it via mod"

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Alteisen posted:

They probably wouldn't, at least in any non-trivial number.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

JebanyPedal posted:

I like the NPC stories. Well, I like that they're there, I stopped reading them by the time I got to the main city because I'd never get anything done otherwise. Reaching into people's souls and seeing their past lives enhances the feeling of being a rare breed of person with a special power that could drive you to madness and all that, a feeling which is honestly a bit lacking otherwise after the first few hours of the game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

2house2fly posted:

I like the NPC stories. Well, I like that they're there, I stopped reading them by the time I got to the main city because I'd never get anything done otherwise. Reaching into people's souls and seeing their past lives enhances the feeling of being a rare breed of person with a special power that could drive you to madness and all that, a feeling which is honestly a bit lacking otherwise after the first few hours of the game.
Watchers go mad because their minds are relentlessly assailed by the tedious badly-written backstories of a hundred self-insert characters every time they pop to the shops for some milk. That is horrible, I never thought of it like that.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
The one unintentionally good thing about the NPC stories is how much they vary. Like you'll have one person who's haunted by the memory of how they accidentally killed someone while burgling a house and then another person who's most prominent moment was seeing a cool magic trick. As a Watcher you're also assaulted with the souls of phenomenally boring people.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Kalos posted:

As a Watcher you're also assaulted with the souls of phenomenally boring people.

don't forget all the poorly written lesbian erotica

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

2house2fly posted:

I just got Watch_Dogs for pretty cheap and this sort of shows up in there too. One of the many things you can do around town is hack certain buildings' security and get a view inside via a camera in a hallway or someone's room.
I like it, but... it's because it shows how bleak some folks' lives are. Like the guy whose parents are just trying to get him to respond while he's glued to his tablet or something. Or worse, the camera feed in a hallway where a guy's walking up to an apartment with flower in hand, but he hears his significant other loudly talking with a friend of hers about how he's inadequate in bed. :smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

graybook posted:

I just got Watch_Dogs for pretty cheap and this sort of shows up in there too. One of the many things you can do around town is hack certain buildings' security and get a view inside via a camera in a hallway or someone's room.
I like it, but... it's because it shows how bleak some folks' lives are. Like the guy whose parents are just trying to get him to respond while he's glued to his tablet or something. Or worse, the camera feed in a hallway where a guy's walking up to an apartment with flower in hand, but he hears his significant other loudly talking with a friend of hers about how he's inadequate in bed. :smith:

If you want depressing, check the one on a house in the suburbs. It shows an elderly guy lying on the floor facing away from the camera, and if you access his phone its his kids texting to see if if he's okay :ohdear:.

Some of them go batfuck insane too. My favourite was seeing some guy and hooker doing blow in an apartment while playing happily Russian Roulette for fun.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

graybook posted:

Just as funny/weird/creepy were the DedSec Randomizer videos you could find in the Bunker or at the Blume hubs or whatever they were called. One of them showed a hooker smoking a cigarette by a window while her john sleeps in bed. Another showed a father and son playing Assassin's Creed (and the father asking his son why he's talking to the guy who he just killed like that). And then there was the guy making cocktail weenie snacks out of some guy's severed hand. :stare:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Shaking lemur butt posted:

I'm playing Scribblenauts Unlimited, and just did a mission where I'm supposed to pair up inmates in a prison with someone they can share their interests with, so for example for the football player I spawned a golfer.
The last inmate was a cosplayer who likes video games and anime. I spawn an 'idiot' and the mission gives me a success :haw:

I wrote "atheist" because they're both loving annoying nerds and I also had a success! Try "virgin", betcha it works

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Just as funny/weird/creepy were the DedSec Randomizer videos you could find in the Bunker or at the Blume hubs or whatever they were called. One of them showed a hooker smoking a cigarette by a window while her john sleeps in bed. Another showed a father and son playing Assassin's Creed (and the father asking his son why he's talking to the guy who he just killed like that). And then there was the guy making cocktail weenie snacks out of some guy's severed hand. :stare:

I think those are in the ctOS centers I haven't hit yet, alas.
I was amused at the ones where the dude pumped himself up a quarter-inch (and the video identified his occupation as 'virgin') and the one where the webcam teaser gets recognized by the viewer.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

graybook posted:

I think those are in the ctOS centers I haven't hit yet, alas.
I was amused at the ones where the dude pumped himself up a quarter-inch (and the video identified his occupation as 'virgin') and the one where the webcam teaser gets recognized by the viewer.

Have you seen the ghosts? I mean I think it is meant to be that as there isn't any other information given.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I wrote "atheist" because they're both loving annoying nerds and I also had a success! Try "virgin", betcha it works
Try... hahaha.... "fedora" lmao!!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

2house2fly posted:

I read them until I realized that it was how Obsidian implemented backer characters and then I immediately stopped. The first few appear right when you get your watcher powers so I thought they were actually important :argh:

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Try "goon" rofl. loving goons...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
We all play video games. We are all the idiot :saddowns:

I also tried making a walking laser-shooting dolphin.
Laser-shooting didn't parse, so I went with the suggestion I got instead.

Llama-shooting dolphin