Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Oops, that was fv, my apologies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

VivaNova posted:

was there a spec doc?

No idea, I was just following along at home.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

VivaNova posted:

If he's serious I'm not ok with it at all but it seems dumb to switch to pig when there are legit good cases on wm and exakt.

This is the post.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

VivaNova posted:

And what I learned from MT and DHD was:

1. Bussing works.
2. Slithering out of lynches when everyone thinks your scum is pretty fun.

You just described my preferred scum game in two points.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Just read this game. Great.

I particularly like at the beginning when there was a thing about whether opop would just post without reading the thread because of course he would, that's an opop signature move. JJ once told me an important part of designing forum games was taking into account players who skim the rules or don't read them at all, and his example was opop.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Just read this game. Great.

I particularly like at the beginning when there was a thing about whether opop would just post without reading the thread because of course he would, that's an opop signature move. JJ once told me an important part of designing forum games was taking into account players who skim the rules or don't read them at all, and his example was opop.

I always assume players don't read the OP in games I run.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I can't believe I did that

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
Four scum! Jeez no surprise Opop got bussed hard.

Gg you're dicks for murdering me.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I was definitely playing to coast on the hard push on Opop and hope we caught you guys off guard on the numbers game, rather than hope to make it to LYLO. Town got a bit unlucky with item usage, too, but I think it was mostly balanced well since we ended up getting so few items (which both admittedly helped a lot).

MT played great, and so did Byers coming in as a replacement. Thanks for the game, bowmore.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

idk, 4 scum is already a bit much for 15 players, combined with the fact that the giving items mechanic helps those who know the alignments of other players. The items given were also often vigs, which are also anti town. Town lucked out in getting a scum slip early. I'd add two players to this setup instead of just one.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, 4 may be too much for this size and mechanic.

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

The most epic adventure ever undertaken

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

idk, 4 scum is already a bit much for 15 players, combined with the fact that the giving items mechanic helps those who know the alignments of other players. The items given were also often vigs, which are also anti town. Town lucked out in getting a scum slip early. I'd add two players to this setup instead of just one.

Killing Opop wasn't even that great for town since he was able to give me a vig. Basically every downed scum was equal to a guaranteed dead town due to vigs and super kills.

Plus the lovers would really always help scum except in the unlikely case that they were able to make 2 scum lovers.

Town should have given more investigative roles.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Well so the problem there is that it was, from my perspective, hard to figure out who was town enough to get that power, and also hope they don't die during the night.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Max posted:

Well so the problem there is that it was, from my perspective, hard to figure out who was town enough to get that power, and also hope they don't die during the night.

Plus remember that town did get some investigative items to give out. They went to scum. That's a problem with the read and/or a credit to MT's play.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Byers2142 posted:

Plus remember that town did get some investigative items to give out. They went to scum. That's a problem with the read and/or a credit to MT's play.

That part is fine, the problem is handing out vigs. That means scum can hand a vig to another scum and a town has to figure out who is town, hand them a vig, and hope they can figure out who is scum.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

A shame I wasn't given the opportunity to take the scum team to task. Ah well.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

+1

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Why did you make ram and I lovers BTW?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

It took a late entry by me and a fake cop claim, but I gave them what-for.

Then we lost, but stiff upper lip.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I knew mmt was scum after she didn't make use of my gifts but I'm not sure I would ever have figured it out otherwise. drat good job.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

King Burgundy posted:

I knew mmt was scum after she didn't make use of my gifts but I'm not sure I would ever have figured it out otherwise. drat good job.

Hah, I shouldn't even have volunteered the information that I had them in the first place! I kept trying to think of zany schemes to use them but in the end I didn't want to risk what seemed like a comfortable position on an unnecessary lie.

Byers2142 posted:

It took a late entry by me and a fake cop claim, but I gave them what-for.

Then we lost, but stiff upper lip.

Both the explanation of why LumpenLists can be exploited by scum and the fake cop claim were nice little learning moments, for what it's worth :)

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Thanks for the game bowmore, it was fun. Congrats scum, especially MT. I never would have guessed you were scum.

I feel the game was a little unbalanced. 4 scum in a 15 player game is already favouring scum, but when they could make informed decisions about items and dead town could not it shifted the balance in their favour even further. The easiest thing to do to balance this is tell the dead players what the alignments are before they hand out items.

I really like the will concept. I knew from the start I was going to be making fun of Diqnol in mine. It would have been more fun if he had lived longer to make fun of.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Don't make fun of me >:[

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Don't make fun of me >:[

What else is mafia for?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

>_>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

She raises a fair point.