Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I just figured out we didn't have a thread for this.

The Amazon logo has a arrow going A to Z and makes a smile,

FedEx logo has an arrow in it,

Toblerone logo has a bear on the mountain.

Also best to take any etymology in this thread with a pinch of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Geokinesis posted:

FedEx logo has an arrow in it,

spoon

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I didn't JUST figure this out, but I was well into adulthood when I realized that the song "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" wasn't about someone's mom having an affair with Santa Claus. :ughh:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

No it's definitely an arr...

gently caress

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
The fire chief in Chicago Fire is played by the same guy as the titular character in the homoerotic London police TV movie version of Othello. I had a feeling he was hiding an accent.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

I figured out last year that cavities like the ones you get if you don't brush your teeth are named that because a "cavity" is being created in your tooth. I'm college educated for fucks sake.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Haruharuharuko posted:

I figured out last year that cavities like the ones you get if you don't brush your teeth are named that because a "cavity" is being created in your tooth. I'm college educated for fucks sake.

What did you think they were before?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I found out this year that the broil setting on the oven turns on only the top coil so you can...broil stuff.

All this time I thought it was just a term for max overall oven temperature, since it was at the end of the dial.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Tiggum posted:

What did you think they were before?

Hell if I know man. Like maybe John Q. Cavity figured out how to fix em gently caress. Like really I feel dumb enough already but it just never clicked until I was at work and had a full on "holy poo poo" moment.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
I rented a car recently, and it was the first time I've driven a vehicle that wasn't 15+ years old in ages. I noticed something like this:

The arrow shows you what side of the car the fuel door is on. loving genius.

edit: I also learned that I disrespect the gently caress out of rental cars. I'm not proud of it

Radio Help has a new favorite as of 10:40 on Apr 13, 2015

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Delicatessen = Delicat Essen = Delicious foods. Surprised I didn't notice it when I used to work in one.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

YeahTubaMike posted:

I didn't JUST figure this out, but I was well into adulthood when I realized that the song "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" wasn't about someone's mom having an affair with Santa Claus. :ughh:

Don't worry, you're not the only one.

In a similar vein, I was in my 20s before I figured out that "If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?" was a double-entendre. I just thought it was the stereotypical example of a bad pickup line because it was dumb, not because it was a cheesy pun.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
smdh stands for "shaking my drat head", and not, as I'd previously thought, " suck my dick, haters ".

I've almost never seen the abbreviation outside of yospos, so it took me a while to bother looking it up because my version almost always fits.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

This past week I realized that the flat edge of a cutlery knife is the side that should be used to take spreads out of a jar and distribute it on a piece of toast.

Last year I finally realized that the name 'The Beatles' was misspelled to make a pun ... "beat" -- get it? gently caress.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Delicatessen = Delicat Essen = Delicious foods. Surprised I didn't notice it when I used to work in one.

Amazing, it's only the first page and the thread title is already correct! You're right that Deliactessen is a German loan word, but it's more than that. It's actually a French loanword in German with the original French, délicatesse meaning something like delicious thing. Even this French word isn't original, that would be the Latin delicatus. It's a logical assumption, what with the incredible German compound nouns, but it's still questionable etymology.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Mister Macys posted:

smdh stands for "shaking my drat head", and not, as I'd previously thought, " suck my dick, haters ".

I've almost never seen the abbreviation outside of yospos, so it took me a while to bother looking it up because my version almost always fits.

Similarly, I thought "ftfy" was "gently caress this, gently caress you."

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

Holy gently caress, it should.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

YeahTubaMike posted:

I knew someone who thought "ftw" meant "gently caress the world"

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

syscall girl posted:

I'm pretty sure that this dude does not have a "For The Win!" patch on his cut.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

John Big Booty posted:

I'm pretty sure that this dude does not have a "For The Win!" patch on his cut.

Yeah, I was gonna say he was an older dude and I think bikers had it that way but it was in the context of a mmo guild.

"We just knocked the poo poo out of their capital, gently caress the world guys!" just seemed like an odd reading to me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I blame being a really big fan of the movie "Fear of a Black Hat", where in one scene, the leader of the group uses the abbreviations FYM, and ASMD; "gently caress ya'll ma'fuckas", "and suck my dick", respectively.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

syscall girl posted:

I thought this too. I am horrible at acronyms.

I also thought "hth" was "heart to heart." :ughh:

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
until about a year ago when I accidentally trapped one I thought racoons weighed about as much as a cat but it turns out that they weigh about 100lbs. they are some very dense, garbage eating, little pandas.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The raccoon is the largest of the procyonid family, having a body length of 40 to 70 cm (16 to 28 in) and a body weight of 3.5 to 9 kg (8 to 20 lb).

Are you sure you didn't catch a baby bear wearing a mask?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I used to smoke out in front of my garage and I saw one of those fat fuckers come out from between the trash cans and it was terrifying, those things are huge.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Radio Help posted:

I rented a car recently, and it was the first time I've driven a vehicle that wasn't 15+ years old in ages. I noticed something like this:

The arrow shows you what side of the car the fuel door is on. loving genius.

edit: I also learned that I disrespect the gently caress out of rental cars. I'm not proud of it

Similar to this but if your car doesn't have the arrow then the handle on the fuel pump is on the side of the hole for the fuel tank.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

amityville anus posted:

until about a year ago when I accidentally trapped one I thought racoons weighed about as much as a cat but it turns out that they weigh about 100lbs. they are some very dense, garbage eating, little pandas.

I wouldn't know from raccoons but a little pug weighs way more than you'd think compared to a cat. Cats is mostly bones and hair.

Hell, their terminal velocity isn't enough to kill them.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

bamhand posted:

The raccoon is the largest of the procyonid family, having a body length of 40 to 70 cm (16 to 28 in) and a body weight of 3.5 to 9 kg (8 to 20 lb).

Are you sure you didn't catch a baby bear wearing a mask?

im positive. it might have been a cat-sized full grown panda but I think thats the definition of a raccoon. it was easily about 44kgs and when i let it loose it went to go eat more garbage.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

syscall girl posted:

It does, for outlaw bikers and old punks.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

When i was a kid, my next door neighbors had the most awful children. One of them came over once with FTW scrawled on his forehead with a Bic. I asked him what it meant, and he raised both middle fingers and screamed "fuk th' worrrrrld!!!" Kid was like three, days-old boogers encrusted all over his face.

So yeah, FTW confuses me too.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

I thought 'smh' was 'something'. It never really made any sense, come to think of it.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Apparently there is a rapper called A$AP Rocky.

For ages I've thought a few people I knew were just pronouncing Aesop Rock really, really incorrectly.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I just found out goatse is actually a woman.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

Wait what does it stand for?

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
"Fixed that for you", I think? I was also guilty of thinking it meant "gently caress this, gently caress you". I can't believe I'm not the only one!

AnxietyMan1488
Apr 6, 2015

by Cowcaster
I just learned that you're supposed to moisturize your balls. :negative: I thought it was normal for your scrotum skin to flake off sometimes... Anyway I've been using Eucerin on it for a few weeks and it works great.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

AnxietyMan1488 posted:

I just learned that you're supposed to moisturize your balls.
Not if there's nothing wrong with them.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Frostwerks posted:

I just found out goatse is actually a woman.
No.

AnxietyMan1488 posted:

I just learned that you're supposed to moisturize your balls. :negative: I thought it was normal for your scrotum skin to flake off sometimes
I just fugred out that your balls are straight up nasty.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

skander posted:

Not if there's nothing wrong with them.

I'd say 85% of ordinary men have dry balls. Spit on them, slap some lotion on them, olive oil, Pam, whatever--moisturize your balls, gentlemen. I knew a farmer whose fingertips split open from a combination of wear-and-tear and chronic dryness; ball sacks are capable of doing the same thing, given sufficient desiccation. You might be taking a seat or trying to ollie off of a roof, and then bam, your nutsack splits in twain like a rotten banana skin and a bunch of mush and something that looks like Krang (from TMNT) comes slithering out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'd say 85% of ordinary men have dry balls. Spit on them, slap some lotion on them, olive oil, Pam, whatever--moisturize your balls, gentlemen. I knew a farmer whose fingertips split open from a combination of wear-and-tear and chronic dryness; ball sacks are capable of doing the same thing, given sufficient desiccation. You might be taking a seat or trying to ollie off of a roof, and then bam, your nutsack splits in twain like a rotten banana skin and a bunch of mush and something that looks like Krang (from TMNT) comes slithering out.

A new horror has entered my life