Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So, I've been writing an OP. Well I say I've been writing it, actually I've just been uh, staring at this white box for literally like, 12 years. What can you say? What can you say. Some of you may have heard about last season. It made a lot of people uncomfortable, and it was just weird, and some people are all like "that's the worst thing he's done yet" and then some people were all "that's the best thing he's done yet". Let's see, he broke a model's eye, and then it turns out the whole season might have been a dream of real events or something pretentious like that.

I don't know what season 5 will be about, if it will keep being super weird or go back to the almost normal style of seasons 1-2 or the detached melodrama of season 3 or what. Or it will be something totally new and amazing, or it will suck. Whatever, just do it. A TV show is like a TV show OP. Just fuckin'... just do it, man! Nobody reads OPs anyway. So here you go. Talk about the show Louie and especially season 5 which premieres on April 9th on FX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Season 5 will be more "laugh-centric" and "less dramatic" accoring to him, whatever that means. Is there no promotional material for it yet? Bit late if it's starting in less than two weeks.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Season 5 will be more "laugh-centric" and "less dramatic" accoring to him, whatever that means. Is there no promotional material for it yet? Bit late if it's starting in less than two weeks.

they announced the premiere date all the way back in january and i haven't seen a single bit of promotion for it since

i would like for more seasons 1-2 louie and less season 4 louie personally

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Can someone explain to me the clunky pseudo-rape/actual rape storyline that went down last season? I saw some media response to it, but I really don't want to invest in watching that season if that's how it actually goes down.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Can someone explain to me the clunky pseudo-rape/actual rape storyline that went down last season? I saw some media response to it, but I really don't want to invest in watching that season if that's how it actually goes down.

It's actually a very small part of the season, most of the season is a French arthouse movie (Elevator parts 1-7).

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Louie is sad and wants to gently caress Pamela. She says no a few times but he forces himself on her and tries to kiss her. She calls him an idiot and leaves. It was more cringeworthy than anything.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm one of the people who think season 4 was the best yet (and my favourite TV of 2014 other than Fargo), so I'm really very excited indeed for this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Duke posted:

Louie is sad and wants to gently caress Pamela. She says no a few times but he forces himself on her and tries to kiss her. She calls him an idiot and leaves. It was more cringeworthy than anything.

Also, after she leaves he fistpumps like he thinks he finally made a breakthrough with her.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Bown posted:

I'm one of the people who think season 4 was the best yet (and my favourite TV of 2014 other than Fargo), so I'm really very excited indeed for this.

What the heck, I also loved Fargo but thought season 4 of Louie was poo poo? :confused: Opinions are weird.

Jerusalem posted:

Also, after she leaves he fistpumps like he thinks he finally made a breakthrough with her.

Well he kind of did considering what happens after. Anyway can't wait to see what happens in season 5, hopefully more like season 1 & 2.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Doflamingo posted:

Well he kind of did considering what happens after.

Yeah, chicks are complicated.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Doflamingo posted:

Well he kind of did considering what happens after.

I uhhh... i have no idea how this happened but apparently I didn't watch the last three episodes of the season :stare:

I thought the really disturbing forced kiss was where the season ended and thought it was a really weird ending, I missed like a quarter of the season :doh:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Possibly even more because one of those episode is like a full hour

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In the Woods parts 1 and 2 are the only episodes I didn't like much. The kid they got to play young Louie wasn't great and it was really lengthy for a fairly simple premise about how stealing is bad and drugs may or may not be.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked it at the time but have felt very little desire to revisit it. It's super interesting as an example of how he's matured recently though, because he tells the story in one of his older specials but there it's all "oh man those teachers were so fuckin dumb and i got so high it was great"

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

precision posted:

In the Woods parts 1 and 2 are the only episodes I didn't like much. The kid they got to play young Louie wasn't great and it was really lengthy for a fairly simple premise about how stealing is bad and drugs may or may not be.

I loved Into the Woods. It was an hour of Louie coming to terms with the fact that his kids are growing up and worrying about them making the same adult mistakes he did at a young age.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dangerous Person posted:

I loved Into the Woods. It was an hour of Louie coming to terms with the fact that his kids are growing up and worrying about them making the same adult mistakes he did at a young age.

I liked that aspect of it, I just didn't like the kid they got to play Young Louie and I thought it was overlong. Without commercials, In the Woods 1 & 2 clock in at about exactly one hour. When I did my rewatch and watched them back to back I really felt that length, which is weird because Elevator 1-7 is over twice as long but felt really short in comparison.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Last season was a very, very ballsy thing to do with a comedy show, but I'd definitely like something more conventional (by the standards of this show, at least).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I still can't find a trailer that shows any actual scenes from the premiere or season, but I did just now find out the season is only 7 episodes long and that was apparently FX's decision, not his. :\

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

precision posted:

I still can't find a trailer that shows any actual scenes from the premiere or season, but I did just now find out the season is only 7 episodes long and that was apparently FX's decision, not his. :\

American TV became British TV so gradually I didn't even notice.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I didn't really care for season 4 much. I mean, I'm all for a show going nuts and drastically changing tone and direction but it just wasn't very interesting OR funny so it didn't really work for me

The attention for the "rape" scene was ridiculous, it wasnt a big deal

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The show's complete disregard for canon in favor of being a bunch of unconnected vignettes has always been one of its strongest assets, I didn't really like season 4 because it threw that away in favor of a few overarching storylines that were all disappointing; It's like Louie let the praise for season 3's three-parter get to his head and he decided that if people like a 3-parter then a 7-parter would be, like, twice as good and did that without bothering to make a story that supported it.

Really I feel like Louie is just growing in a direction that is less appealing to me in general. I liked him a lot more as a funny guy who occasionally said something thought-provoking or emotional than as a guy who is really concerned with letting the world know how he thinks things ought to be and occasionally telling a joke or two in the process.

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 8, 2015

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

I think I'm just a sucker for coming-of-age movies but I really liked Into the Woods. I'm totally down for a more comedy focused season though.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

precision posted:

I still can't find a trailer that shows any actual scenes from the premiere or season

He showed a clip on Fallon that was hilarious.

It was just a minute long or so: Louie runs into a an old friend who is a cop who calls the bluff we all play with the "we should get together sometime" thing and basically shakes him down so he can put his number on his phone and commit him to a Knicks game that night.

It was classic pure awkward comedy Louie.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

precision posted:

FX probably only keeps the show around for awards/critical buzz purposes. Sticking it behind this Billy Crystal/Josh Gad probable abortion makes that all the more clear.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hcreight posted:

FX probably only keeps the show around for awards/critical buzz purposes. Sticking it behind this Billy Crystal/Josh Gad probable abortion makes that all the more clear.

Oh absolutely, and because they barely spend any money on it so the returns they get from Netflix and Blu-Ray sales undoubtedly cover it.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Cast Iron Brick posted:

The scene was bad enough. What was worse was all the Reddit neckbeards justifying it.

What was even worse was all the people here saying the episode shouldn't be judged until the end of the season, because we haven't seen the full resolution yet, we don't know yet what he's trying to say, etc. Then when the season ends with them in a bathtub together, basically he wasn't saying anything, or at least not anything good, and suddenly those people go silent or come up with new justifications.

The whole thing was repugnant.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sleeveless posted:

Really I feel like Louie is just growing in a direction that is less appealing to me in general. I liked him a lot more as a funny guy who occasionally said something thought-provoking or emotional than as a guy who is really concerned with letting the world know how he thinks things ought to be and occasionally telling a joke or two in the process.

Did you see his last standup special? It's pretty much just dumb jokes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jake Armitage posted:

The scene was bad enough. What was worse was all the Reddit neckbeards justifying it.

What was even worse was all the people here saying the episode shouldn't be judged until the end of the season, because we haven't seen the full resolution yet, we don't know yet what he's trying to say, etc. Then when the season ends with them in a bathtub together, basically he wasn't saying anything, or at least not anything good, and suddenly those people go silent or come up with new justifications.

The whole thing was repugnant.

Mhm.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Really interested to see how this new season will play out since the last one was so weird and his most recent standup special was surprisingly bad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are there really still people who don't understand that scene? Good god y'all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bown posted:

Are there really still people who don't understand that scene? Good god y'all.

The subtlety of putting a 10 minute standup routine about how horrible it is that men forcing themselves on women is so socially accepted there's a shirt named after it was lost on a surprisingly large number of people.

e: I know I can't make rules, but I can ask nicely that we table discussion of that scene/episode because I doubt it would go anywhere

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I just heard there's going to be more Louie and it's happening today! I'm excited. Comedy or drama, I don't care. As much as I enjoy the laughs, they're not really the reason I appreciate the show. Whether he goes for punchlines or not he's asking the same questions. No, I didn't enjoy every moment of season 4, but it never stopped being challenging and interesting. What time is it airing tonight? Is it gonna be one episode every thursday til it's done?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Goddamnit, now I want fried chicken.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
Whelp, we didn't even make it to another page before two of the exact people I described rushed in to do exactly what I said they did. :suicide:

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I like Louie. Hurray for more Louie!

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
This episode was kind of bland and uncomfortable. I don't think it really delved into new territory and I didn't laugh at any point. Regardless of how you felt about the rest of season 4 (I liked it, on the whole) the first episode of that was super strong. Not so much here.

It's also really starting watching the title sequence how much he's aged. I realise people look different in their early 40s to their late 40s, but it's just jarring.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
wow had no idea this was already back, thnaks avclbub

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jake Armitage posted:

Whelp, we didn't even make it to another page before two of the exact people I described rushed in to do exactly what I said they did. :suicide:

So what did you think of the premiere of Season 5, which is the topic of this thread? Or are you just here to start a fight?

e: I thought the intro bit about life on other planets was hilarious, don't know if that was a new routine or not, I haven't watched all his stand-up specials. Overall it was a good episode, and I actually preferred it to the premiere of season 4. That final shot of the banjo busker looking sad was great and tied the whole thing together with the opening about getting older and how that can be depressing and weird

precision fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 10, 2015

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

So what did you think of the premiere of Season 5, which is the topic of this thread? Or are you just here to start a fight?

e: I thought the intro bit about life on other planets was hilarious, don't know if that was a new routine or not, I haven't watched all his stand-up specials.

That was a great bit, like, "Hi, we're the aliens! We know you're the regular people and we're aliens." I really liked the episode in general; it felt like a not-season-4 episode, and it wasn't about him expressing his "this is how the world should be" beliefs, it was the old-school awkward, slightly surreal situations. Like walking into a religious gathering by accident or the woman who was just rude to him all the time. Walking into a conversation and realizing you don't belong in it and then trying to get out is extremely awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"I actually didn't come" is probably the hardest I've laughed at this show since season 2.

• Locked thread