Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Aphrodite posted:

People keep overhyping SHIELD episodes so when i get around to watching them they're always disappointing.

Like it has had some good episodes this season, but last week's was pretty dull. I saw everyone saying how great it was before I watched, but it was nothing special.

Yeah I can see that. Last week was pretty good... for a SHIELD episode. Generally, I can see how someone would shrug it off though. I mean to put it in perspective (and that is something people who defend SHIELD seem to not want to do very often) I caught a random episode of Scandal not long ago, and having never seen that show before, I found that particular episode to be far more intense and interesting than any episode of SHIELD I have seen so far. It almost made me start watching series, but as I had not recorded the show or anything, I kind of forgot by the following week and moved on. Hell a similar thing happened to me with show about the vampire, ghost and werewolf who live together or something on SyFy. I can't imagine what AoS must seem like to someone who stumbles upon it randomly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The most badass fights on television are on Banshee. That said this season has had great fights on Arrow, Flash, and AoS. Now I can't wait for Daredevil.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm thinking the people that love AoS and loved the bulk of the first season probably also like most primetime cop shows and stuff like that in general.

I just watched AoS on Netflix, and I couldn't remember what episodes to skip, so I just plowed through the entire season and enjoyed it all, but I also like stand-alone episodes (I greatly prefer, say, the Monster of the Week episodes of X-Files to the Arc stories), and I quite enjoy procedurals too, so you might be right.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Marathoning through it probably alleviates the feeling that not much is happening, plus you know that it's actually going somewhere decent.

Watching it week to week got frustrating, especially with American network TV's hilariously unfathomable scheduling.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think SHIELD also missed out on an opportunity to do something with the 2 SHIELDs before making Olmos' team the bad guys who obviously won't survive the season.

They actually kind of have a legitimate case. Fury's an appointed director with a whole group of superiors. It doesn't matter who he wants to be his successor. Fury isn't SHIELD.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Aphrodite posted:

I think SHIELD also missed out on an opportunity to do something with the 2 SHIELDs before making Olmos' team the bad guys who obviously won't survive the season.

They actually kind of have a legitimate case. Fury's an appointed director with a whole group of superiors. It doesn't matter who he wants to be his successor. Fury isn't SHIELD.

Wait, they actually brought that up again? Because the fact that Coulson simply doesn't have legal authority to jack poo poo was one of the things they thankfully glossed ever at the beginning of season 2.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

e X posted:

Wait, they actually brought that up again? Because the fact that Coulson simply doesn't have legal authority to jack poo poo was one of the things they thankfully glossed ever at the beginning of season 2.

That is the whole conflict between the two Shields.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The sympathetic members of Agent Adama's team can be folded in to Coulson's operation fairly easily.

I think they're largely correct about things too, or at least come from a justifiable position.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

e X posted:

Yes. They just revealed a second SHIELD who have somewhat more legitimate claims to the name, but are just a bunch of assholes who want to kill people with powers.

Coulson's SHIELD has basically been legitimized by the US government now, though.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Shield is no longer a government organization. None of them have legal authority for anything. Both EJO and Coulson Shield are illegal.

Fury's former superiors are irrelevant in this scenario, all that matters is what the current people who want to be a part of the organization and who want to fight Hydra think. In that sense, Fury's choice is relevant because it gives Coulson legitimacy. It is also legitimate for EJO to argue and persuade people against Coulson, the problem is the way he has gone about it.

Edit: One dude in the US military being OK with Coulson doesn't make him legitimate.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
The fact that this question is coming up is pretty awesome. I definitely have a feeling that by the end of the season, the two are going to merge together (probably with Coulson on top). They made a big point in the last episode that they didn't attempt to kill anyone other than Skye (which fits their "people with superpowers are loving scary" theme).

Circutron fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 7, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Also Senator Ward have a pies conference saying that shield is not the same as hydra and the government needs to recognize that. But then he killed his parents and himself in a house fire, which his good brother Ward managed to escape.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Also Senator Ward have a pies conference saying that shield is not the same as hydra and the government needs to recognize that. But then he killed his parents and himself in a house fire, which his good brother Ward managed to escape.
The best kind of conference.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

AoS writing could only be considered "better" if you consider super dull, safe writing "good".

AoS was an extremely generic feeling show, to the point that it turned off a lot of people.

I'd rather take a cheapish, some what dumb but entertaining show, over a dull, "satisfactorily" produced show that takes no risks.

Agents of SHIELD was a show that 1) spent it's first sixteen episodes of its first season intentionally misleading its audience and 2) wound up alienating part of said audience just so that it can 3) blow up the entire premise with its last six episodes that 4) followed up on the plot of a movie that did not have direct ties to the show. This the show that is has safe writing that takes no risks?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I don't think it should be applauded for the brilliance of lazily treading water with terrible episodes while it waited for it's cross-marketing promotion to become apparent.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Dan Didio posted:

I don't think it should be applauded for the brilliance of lazily treading water with terrible episodes while it waited for it's cross-marketing promotion to become apparent.

But it's ok because SHIELD is gone forever, right?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Error 404 posted:

But it's ok because SHIELD is gone forever, right?

Oh wow, two creepy retards hung up on me. Boy am I flattered.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Dan Didio posted:

Oh wow, two creepy retards hung up on me. Boy am I flattered.

Someone sure is salty that people remember hilariously stupid things they say.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Error 404 posted:

Someone sure is salty that people remember hilariously stupid things they say.

The wi-fi must be excellent in the train museum for you to respond to me that quickly.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Dan Didio posted:

The wi-fi must be excellent in the train museum for you to respond to me that quickly.

Says the man whose entire schtick is some kind of ur-autist shitposter.

At least Irish Joe is occasionally witty.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2FlQuQfDso

Please stop obsessing over me. There's so many other things for you to catalogue and define your life around.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The shield episode where they broke into a train was pretty good. Maybe you two can find some agreement on that.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Aphrodite posted:

Yes. They just revealed a second SHIELD who have somewhat more legitimate claims to the name, but are just a bunch of assholes who want to kill people with powers.

Coulson's SHIELD has basically been legitimized by the US government now, though.

Man, I need to catch up on AoS. EJO on the show? :black101:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Heathen posted:

Agents of SHIELD was a show that 1) spent it's first sixteen episodes of its first season intentionally misleading its audience and 2) wound up alienating part of said audience just so that it can 3) blow up the entire premise with its last six episodes that 4) followed up on the plot of a movie that did not have direct ties to the show. This the show that is has safe writing that takes no risks?

Pretty much, yeah. Most of season one was pretty dull writing for a primetime TV show. There was some ridiculous cliched writing in the first season. The whole Winter Soldier plot device is irrelevant to the quality of the show. The WS plot twist did not force the writers to write cliched nonsense. AoS could have been far better written prior to the HYDRA turn, and still have had the plot twist.

People were alienated because the show was noticeably below the bar that the MCU had set. People expected more from a show that claims to be part of the MCU and it failed to deliver on multiple fronts. And I think the noticeable difference in fanbases between the CW shows and AoS also prove a point. The writing on AoS didn't even have to be THAT good if it could have delivered on other fronts, but Disney decided to play it safe and have it deliver almost nothing in the first season (and then majorly half assed Deathlok to get a super hero on the show.) The fact of the matter is, Disney wanted an MCU show on tv without having to actually deliver an MCU show (since that would cost too much in their mind), but what they failed to realize was that they could have taken more risks (like Arrow and Flash have) and delivered something much more fitting for the MCU, on a similar or same budget, and it would have worked out.

The CW shows have a dude in a power suit flying around and it doesn't even look any where near as dumb as I thought it would. That's a risk. Having so many costumed characters and so many super powers on shows with those budgets is a risk. Writing a story arc that drat near collapses the home city of the show (TWICE) on that budget is a risk. Tackling time travel and the consequences there of in your first season of a super hero show is a risk.

Spending marketing money telling your audience that you are doing a Thor Dark World tie in episode and then having that tie in be the first 60 seconds of the episode as they sift through some rubble is not a risk. That is the exact opposite and a gently caress up. I bet anything that the Sif episode was written in response to the negative responses to that episode. The Centipede arc wasn't a risky diversion, it was stupid. They knew they couldn't implicate HYDRA as writers, and decided to make almost the entire first half of the season be based on a plot that was weak as poo poo without them. I mean they had CyberTek involved and mentioned Roxxon, they could have had the first half of S1 devoted to the clean up of Iron Man 3, still had Centipede bullshit, but made the show about a power grab between people like CyberTek and Roxxon and the remnants of AIM or whatever. Throw in random alien tech from the invasion here and there, set up a world of super science while hinting at Coulson's resurrection, and then pull the boom HYDRA out of no where stuff. Every single episode could have been directly related to tracking down who was pulling the string behind Centipede, while teasing Coulson and eventually, Skye's past. They could have even still set up Deathlok. And they could have done it in a way that was full of twists and turns, character development, and intensity. Set the stakes high, kill off characters the way season 2 has, early on, and show that whoever and whatever Centipede is, it is serious business. Centipede didn't seem that big of a deal, TV wise, until that mid season break with the kidnapping of Coulson and blowing up pre-Deathlok. I guess there was that whole eye implant thing they did? And the clairvoyant? The problem was there didn't seem to be any hints as to who that was. We didn't know until we actually knew and it was a complete and utter unsolvable mystery until we did. That is bad writing. You have to pepper clues through out a mystery story, plant red herrings, have dead ends and failures here and there to build up suspense. You can't just keep raising questions when your characters are never even coming close to answering the ones they already have.

Instead the show meanders for several episodes not really being sure how much of a big deal it wants to make of Centipede, and having the team run off to deal with completely unrelated poo poo in the mean time. They poorly wrote the mystery. And I am betting it is because they didn't really know what to do with the show because of Winter Soldier, and they were under a time crunch to get it done, which isn't actually an excuse.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Heathen posted:

Well when you phrase it like that it's a terrible show that exists only to use the name recognition of the Marvel brand as a way to cash in on the boom of superhero movies and really has no substance of its own.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Agents of Shield sucked on purpose, you guys. Alienating most of their audience with a full season of garbage episodes was all part of the plan :smug:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

HorseRenoir posted:

LET'S BE STUPID FOREVER

Indeed.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So I managed to fall behind on my Arrow watching and am catching up, and this Atom stuff is pretty good. Routh is a great actor.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Is there something wrong with his eye? He has like permanent pink eye it seems. But yeah, Routh has been a great addition to the show. I hope the spin off does well because he is great, even if his character is a weird amalgam of other characters.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
You guys keep tricking me into watching Agents of Shield, and I get a half ep in and am like, No, it's still loving awful and turn it off again. Although that thing about Ming-Na Wen's hamstrings was hilarious(ly wrong).

And Deadpool your claim that it's better than the Flash is just ridiculous. Just on acting alone, Christ.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

AoS has actually gotten a bit better about setting things up and then delivering payoffs, which is something that wouldn't be apparent watching it sporadically. I'm not saying you should watch it seriously if it's not grabbing you, because it's still not brilliant.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Is there something wrong with his eye? He has like permanent pink eye it seems. But yeah, Routh has been a great addition to the show. I hope the spin off does well because he is great, even if his character is a weird amalgam of other characters.

Between him, Miller and Garber, I doubt there'll be any set left to devour after the pilot's shot.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If you only watch half episodes nothing is going to be good.
Well, Law & Order I guess

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Opopanax posted:

If you only watch half episodes nothing is going to be good.
Well, Law & Order I guess

Monty Python?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pretty much anything lacking a real serial narrative?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

AoS was "decent" tonight, and hey, they finally fixed Deathlok's stupid loving costume. Why it wasn't that way to begin with is a testament to the badness of season 1. :negative:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ToastyPotato posted:

AoS was "decent" tonight, and hey, they finally fixed Deathlok's stupid loving costume. Why it wasn't that way to begin with is a testament to the badness of season 1. :negative:

Well his first costume was made by Hydra, who is evil. So Coulson made a better one.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Barry Convex posted:

Grain of salt: Devin Faraci says he's "hearing very bad buzz on Daredevil." Granted, he's been pretty negative on the show and the rest of the Defenders project for a while, so we'll have to wait until the reviews hit (later this week, I think) to see how much of this is confirmation bias and how much is an accurate summary of critical opinion.

An important follow up from Mr. Faraci:

https://twitter.com/devincf/status/585630283883479040

"Look, those first four episodes everyone else is loving and we hated for some reason were nothing, it actually gets good with episode 5."

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teek posted:

"Look, those first four episodes everyone else is loving and we hated for some reason were nothing, it actually gets good with episode 5."
Reading his comments at the bottom of that page pretty much seal that he is to be ignored completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teek posted:

Who the gently caress is this guy? Also all the glowing reviews I've seen are of the first five episodes.