Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zeitgueist posted:

No not really at all, it doesn't. None of those terms have any biological background that's consistent with their usage in the USA, and I would encourage you to research the genetics of race to help disabuse yourself of this idea.
I'm not sure what it would mean for social constructs such as race to 'have a biological background', but what I'm talking about is this: "Subjects identified themselves as belonging to one of four major racial/ethnic groups (white, African American, East Asian, and Hispanic) and were recruited from 15 different geographic locales within the United States and Taiwan. Genetic cluster analysis of the microsatellite markers produced four major clusters, which showed near-perfect correspondence with the four self-reported race/ethnicity categories. Of 3,636 subjects of varying race/ethnicity, only 5 (0.14%) showed genetic cluster membership different from their self-identified race/ethnicity"

or this: self-reported race and genetic ethnic ancestry appear to be highly correlated as a dichotomy

Now you've implied you have a better understanding of the subject matter than I do, so could you please help me and show me a good explanation of how I am wrong here?
(I'm not saying race is biological, I'm saying within the US, the social construct of race and the biological reality of genes are at least somewhat correlated.)

V. Illych L. posted:

well, you apparently cannot read, so it's no surprise that you don't understand biology
Possibly - for example, I read you as implying that biological causes are more likely for sex than for race. I do not think this is true, because sex differences on e.g. IQ are much smaller than race differences. Both of these are very basic facts about the debate at hand and anybody who doesn't know that probably shouldn't have opinions at all, so in retrospective, I assume I must have misread you. Could you explain yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Cingulate posted:

I'm not sure what it would mean for social constructs such as race to 'have a biological background', but what I'm talking about is this: "Subjects identified themselves as belonging to one of four major racial/ethnic groups (white, African American, East Asian, and Hispanic) and were recruited from 15 different geographic locales within the United States and Taiwan. Genetic cluster analysis of the microsatellite markers produced four major clusters, which showed near-perfect correspondence with the four self-reported race/ethnicity categories. Of 3,636 subjects of varying race/ethnicity, only 5 (0.14%) showed genetic cluster membership different from their self-identified race/ethnicity"

or this: self-reported race and genetic ethnic ancestry appear to be highly correlated as a dichotomy

Now you've implied you have a better understanding of the subject matter than I do, so could you please help me and show me a good explanation of how I am wrong here?
(I'm not saying race is biological, I'm saying within the US, the social construct of race and the biological reality of genes are at least somewhat correlated.)
Possibly - for example, I read you as implying that biological causes are more likely for sex than for race. I do not think this is true, because sex differences on e.g. IQ are much smaller than race differences. Both of these are very basic facts about the debate at hand and anybody who doesn't know that probably shouldn't have opinions at all, so in retrospective, I assume I must have misread you. Could you explain yourself?

What people self-report and how they are treated are different things. What society deems "black" or "latino" isn't at all checked with what that person identifies themselves as. Quite a few folks who identify as black and would show geographical genetic data for black can pass.

That's why they used self-reported race.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

no i have explained myself and you've failed to read the posts and are currently engaging in a blithely ignorant misrepresentation of basic biology, terrible reading comprehension and a lack of understanding of the term "race". if you have specific objections to my posts, make them and if they're reasonable i'll even respond

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zeitgueist posted:

What people self-report and how they are treated are different things. What society deems "black" or "latino" isn't at all checked with what that person identifies themselves as. Quite a few folks who identify as black and would show geographical genetic data for black can pass.

That's why they used self-reported race.
Then I don't understand with what specific thing I actually said you disagree.

(I am absolutely confident though, if self reported race can be predicted near perfectly from genes, then race assigned by a group of 5 random people could also be predicted much better than at the level people are usually satisfied with in studies of genetic association, and I assume you could even predict the level of racist abuse a person receives, or the chances of "passing", from their genes, at least to a small, but statistically significant degree.)

V. Illych L. posted:

no i have explained myself and you've failed to read the posts and are currently engaging in a blithely ignorant misrepresentation of basic biology, terrible reading comprehension and a lack of understanding of the term "race". if you have specific objections to my posts, make them and if they're reasonable i'll even respond
No, that won't be necessary.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Cingulate posted:

At least with regards to the US and the black/white/asian/latino distinction, that actually correlates very strongly with genes for all I understand.
Certainly - you may personally desire your sex partner to be funny, or your friends to share your trait of a deep-seated hatred of U2. But do you think the law should treat people who like Bono differently?
The law needs to discriminate between people based on behavior, but probably shouldn't care about whether people like Bono, why are you asking legal questions about whether people should be morally equal?

quote:

Next, science does not desire. When science says "trait X is desirable", it means "people find trait X desirable"; it's a descriptive statement about the people who judge the trait, not a moral statement about the people who have it.
If you choose to value group A less because they have trait X, that's entirely on you, regardless of whatever science says.
Of course science doesn't do this, but science doesn't have morality either, so again why are you talking about science regarding a statement about moral equality?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

twodot posted:

The law needs to discriminate between people based on behavior, but probably shouldn't care about whether people like Bono, why are you asking legal questions about whether people should be morally equal?
I'm not sure I get the point. What I mean by morally equal is, deserving of equal respect, having equal rights, and so on. And any call you make with regards to that is on you, never on biology.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Cingulate posted:

I'm not sure I get the point. What I mean by morally equal is, deserving of equal respect, having equal rights, and so on. And any call you make with regards to that is on you, never on biology.
There are definitely biological traits that will degrade your legal rights, mental competence is what comes to mind first.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

twodot posted:

There are definitely biological traits that will degrade your legal rights, mental competence is what comes to mind first.
Can you come up with an example at the group level, except where it is the very trait that defines the group?

OwlFancier posted:

Personally I'd argue that racism is wrong because it is generally proper to try to find a use and place for everybody to contribute to society and try to facilitate their happiness as they do so. Essentially humans are pretty good and maybe we shouldn't be dicks to them. So even if someone did come up with scientific proof that there is some kind of provable causative relationship between one's race and some social problem, that isn't grounds for being a dick to anyone.
This is my point. Or rather, my point is that this, which I assume most people here would agree with, is much more important than I think people usually think it is, and much more important than biological similarities or differences.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 2, 2015

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Cingulate posted:

Can you come up with an example at the group level, except where it is the very trait that defines the group?
You mean like the group of people who do not have the mental competence required to exercise certain rights? I was responding to this:

quote:

The point should instead be that regardless of how similar or different we are in biology, we are all morally equal.
If "morally equal" includes equal rights, then no we aren't.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So give an example - what group should be treated differentially by the law? What group should have less rights?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Cingulate posted:

So give an example - what group should be treated differentially by the law? What group should have less rights?
Why does the group I've already provided not qualify as an answer to this question? I seriously don't understand what you think you are asking for that I haven't already provided.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Cingulate posted:

Rich people should have more rights, also whites.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

twodot posted:

Why does the group I've already provided not qualify as an answer to this question? I seriously don't understand what you think you are asking for that I haven't already provided.
What group? If you've said it clearly before, just say it again.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Cingulate posted:

What group? If you've said it clearly before, just say it again.
The group of people who do not have the mental competence required to exercise certain rights.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

twodot posted:

The group of people who do not have the mental competence required to exercise certain rights.
Well okay, that's as I said entirely circular - the set of people who do not have a certain mental state necessary to exercise certain rights, do not have those rights. I don't think dealing with this problem is gonna give any moral philosophy headaches.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Can anyone recommend non-batshit criticisms of contemporary feminism? There's these MRAs who may just be hosed up from single-sourcing their material and I'd like to be able to show them something normal but in-line with their concerns.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it depends a lot on where you're critiquing from, to be honest. what do you want?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
The best place to start is always with the internal disagreements in the ideology IMO.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Accretionist posted:

Can anyone recommend non-batshit criticisms of contemporary feminism? There's these MRAs who may just be hosed up from single-sourcing their material and I'd like to be able to show them something normal but in-line with their concerns.

V. Illych L. posted:

it depends a lot on where you're critiquing from, to be honest. what do you want?
Yeah, it sounds like you're asking for a non-MRA rebuke of feminism? Uh good luck finding one on the internet that isn't a critique of straw feminists.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Well, there's stuff like this that acknowledges how feminists in the past have at times not been inclusive enough of minorities of all sorts within the movement. Are you looking for contemporary critiques of historical feminism, contemporary critiques of contemporary feminism, critiques of theory, practice, or... what, basically.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

There's also lots of different ideas in feminism. Like there's the second-wavers, who are what a lot of people think of when they think of "feminists" - the bra-burning womyn who think transwomen are "male spies," but they're also dying out. Third Wave and beyond is much nicer and more inclusive and "for everybody."

So yeah, what are you looking for? If you just want to prove a pre-conceived notion that "there are cases of feminists being dumb" then look up second-wavers, though I don't know how useful that would be.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Yeah you'll have to be more specific. I can usher you in some directions though.

As Chantilly suggests, you may want to look in to the feminist relationship with other movements, particularly gay rights and latterly trans rights. The feminist perspective on homosexuality has generally been tolerant and receptive but not untroubled.

Radical feminism has often elected to emphasise political lesbianism, which has often been a topic of controversy inside feminism, as well as a subject of criticism from the outside. The belief in political lesbianism often stems from, aside from the anti-essentialist view that sexual identity is constructed (accepted by pretty much all feminists), a belief that male-female sexual encounters are symbolically or actually rape or are in some way intrinsically violent.

Further, a number of (60's-70's wave, typically) feminists have often been quite hostile to the trans community. Some of this appears to be for superficially prejudiced reasons. However, there are theoretical concerns:

(1) Many feminists believe that gender is a construct that is not inherent in individuals. You may think, as the trans community does, that this should make feminists trans-friendly. Contra that, the desire to be trans may in fact show a failure to internalise this logic concerning gender. If gender is constructed there should be nothing stopping you from being a [cis]male female, and therefore no reason to cut away healthy tissue. You could call this the Germaine Greer objection.

Some feminists link this to other ways in which people alter their bodies to conform to gender stereotypes, demands and expectations.

(2) Further, other feminists argue that the mere fact of physical alteration of the body to the female form allows you to suddenly become part of the community of women, particularly concerning the historical experience of women. In other words, a person who undergoes gender assignment surgery doesn't necessarily do it having had the experience of actually growing up and being treated like a woman, and moreover still is unable to experience life as a woman in the same manner ciswomen do. There may even be an accusation that you have opted out of a position of male privilege by transitioning male to female. This has led to controversies in the UK with leading feminists who have argued transwomen should not be able to become staff at women-only colleges (e.g. Newnham college, Cambridge).

This is often regarded as a less successful and more callous argument given the hardships suffered by transpeople in undergoing their transition and how offensively put some of these arguments are by their proponents.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

You guys, if he's arguing with MRAs, and is looking for anti feminist stuff, I don't think criticisms of feminism from the left are what he's after...

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Cognac McCarthy posted:

You guys, if he's arguing with MRAs, and is looking for anti feminist stuff, I don't think criticisms of feminism from the left are what he's after...

I'm giving him the best rational pain points for feminism today whether he wants them or not :black101:

By post does give good indications for where to look from a rightward perspective. Most ordinary people are not that sold yet on the idea that gender is just made up by humans and isn't instinct to men and women, that's probably the best place to start.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cognac McCarthy posted:

"Feminists think the stereotype of feminists is pretty nuts" isn't the worst strategy.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

computer parts posted:

"Feminists think the stereotype of feminists is pretty nuts" isn't the worst strategy.

Yeah. Also this in general for radical feminism vs feminism.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's worth distinguishing between radical feminism and trans-exclusive radical feminism and the like . Most branches of radical feminism are perfectly fine.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

It's a pretty diverse movement.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

This blog post meanders a lot, but it makes some interesting points about systems of power and feminism. Warning, the author has a pretty douchey writing style, and you really need to read this to the end before making judgments about it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I don't want to copy+paste one of his novellas so I'll try to summarize. The man in question, ~in service to egalitarianism~, runs non-stop polemic on feminism while touting various elements of The Manosphere (MRAs and Men-Going-Their-Own-Way, specifically) and he appears to believe his own poo poo.

His own poo poo being argumentation that western women are over-privileged at this point because feminism already won their victories. He believes that women have the benefits of sexist female gender roles, the same level of empowerment as men and that feminists don't just want to preserve their privilege (because they don't want the responsibility and accountability men live with), they want more and are getting it. At that point, his conclusion is that MRAs/MGTOW are needed for balance and to achieve true egalitarianism. His writing also tends to be sprawling, crazy and rife with (contemporary) feminist versus (historical) 'True Feminist' type distinctions.

So, he thinks feminism already won and the current movement is dominated by misandry, therefore we need The Manosphere (minus the PUA crowd), and that western women won their war and need to either stand down or look abroad. Also, he occasionally alludes to :biotruths:.

And he can't stop posting everywhere.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

then you don't need critiques of feminism, you just need data tbh

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

Bonus: That data will all support feminism

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Accretionist posted:

I don't want to copy+paste one of his novellas so I'll try to summarize. The man in question, ~in service to egalitarianism~, runs non-stop polemic on feminism while touting various elements of The Manosphere (MRAs and Men-Going-Their-Own-Way, specifically) and he appears to believe his own poo poo.

His own poo poo being argumentation that western women are over-privileged at this point because feminism already won their victories. He believes that women have the benefits of sexist female gender roles, the same level of empowerment as men and that feminists don't just want to preserve their privilege (because they don't want the responsibility and accountability men live with), they want more and are getting it. At that point, his conclusion is that MRAs/MGTOW are needed for balance and to achieve true egalitarianism. His writing also tends to be sprawling, crazy and rife with (contemporary) feminist versus (historical) 'True Feminist' type distinctions.

So, he thinks feminism already won and the current movement is dominated by misandry, therefore we need The Manosphere (minus the PUA crowd), and that western women won their war and need to either stand down or look abroad. Also, he occasionally alludes to :biotruths:.

And he can't stop posting everywhere.

He sounds like someone who's never actually looked into women's issues before and like he doesn't even know what feminism is or does. If he's genuinely an okay person who just has weird notions, give him that Feminism is for Everybody book I linked earlier. But he's probably not.

Show him stats that demonstrate how the problem definitely still exists (and don't let him weasel out of them, he'll probably try to claim poo poo like "women WANT to stay home and do less work than men and therefore don't get higher salaries because :biotruths: makes them want to be a housewife!").

You're almost certainly just going to get fallacious attempts to "demote" feminism in return like "well people elsewhere have it way worse!" so have fun.

Fun Bonus: Have him list actual ways in which men are supposedly more "responsible" and "accountable" and women don't want that. Then have him say them out loud to a real life woman and film the reaction.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've never met anybody who started with the whole "I want equality - REAL equality, feminists want superiority" thing and didn't end up at "women want this and men want that and that's the way it'll always be and also gays are bad" once given enough rope to hang himself with.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Cingulate posted:

I've never met anybody who started with the whole "I want equality - REAL equality, feminists want superiority" thing and didn't end up at "women want this and men want that and that's the way it'll always be and also gays are bad" once given enough rope to hang himself with.

Yeah sounds about right. The only intellectual foundation that can come from is loving suspect.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We need feminism because I literally mansplained mansplaining to a woman once.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Cingulate posted:

We need feminism because I literally mansplained mansplaining to a woman once.

I hope I never hear someone say "Mansplain" to me in person because I won't be able to stop myself from conjugating it into all sorts of forms.

Is inmansplicable a word?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Chiming in to say, having argued with a LOT of sexists on the internet(boy is that embarassing to type out), trying to sympathize will just convince them they're right.

Don't join in the criticism, the underlying problem is that they don't understand (and often don't want to understand) what feminism stands for and what it is. If you can't get them to understand basic concepts they're you're simply helping them tear down their construct of what they think feminism is.

Data will of course support you but they won't believe it so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I hope I never hear someone say "Mansplain" to me in person because I won't be able to stop myself from conjugating it into all sorts of forms.

Is inmansplicable a word?
Let me explain it to you.

This is a trap, right?

(To be fair, I didn't explain the term, but the concept.)

• Locked thread