Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

cthulhoo posted:

~your kind~

i.e. people who's linux knowledge doesn't consist entirely of slashdot articles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

cthulhoo posted:

how is this shitshow a controversy who the gently caress cares

the demon LENNART is literally KILLING LINUX and you can just sit back and ask who cares?!?!?!?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Soricidus posted:

the demon LENNART is literally KILLING LINUX and you can just sit back and ask who cares?!?!?!?

HAIL LENNART

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

also holy lol that linux audio thing from the grey thread

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

jre posted:

i.e. people who's linux knowledge doesn't consist entirely of slashdot articles

if the world were run by the kind of people who complain about pulseaudio and systemd on message boards we'd still be living in caves

"the design of this hut and spear is all wrong! no, i don't know anything about building a shelter or hunting, but i know it's all wrong!"

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

idiot nerd tribalism

e. bad computer man subsumes dumb computer into identity, learning opposes self

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 8, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
um excuse me as a casual computer user i'm reviewing the source code to pulseaudio before committing my system to it

now, what does #include do?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ruby idiot railed posted:

um excuse me as a casual computer user i'm reviewing the source code to pulseaudio before committing my system to it

:byodood: What do you mean this is an assinine waste of time , ~your type~ are so offensive

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

if the world were run by the kind of people who complain about pulseaudio and systemd on message boards we'd still be living in caves

eh, better than linux on the desktop

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

lol

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Soricidus posted:

tbf killing implies it ever was alive

which in the context of this thread is hella lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
pulseaudio really was a buggy pain in the rear end in the early days

ten years later people are still complaining about it

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pulseaudio really was a buggy pain in the rear end in the early days

ten years later people are still complaining about it

well he's using slackware so being a decade behind sounds about right

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I take it back, evol262 looks like he's pretty reasonable, I just oversampled his posts with the Linux Enthusiast person.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Forums Terrorist posted:

well he's using slackware so being a decade behind sounds about right

sounds.....

lol

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
My first experience with pulse was when ubuntu half assedly integrated it into their desktop. I just assumed pulse was a buggy piece of poo poo rather than the packaging people had done a half assed job.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
whats GC?

(my posts, are a C of G)

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

the thing that doesn't happen before anyone here posts

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

so linux still has problems with sound huh. in 2015. wow.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

no, the sound problems were solved a decade ago with the introduction of pulseaudio, and people are still furious about this

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol no a decade ago oss was still being replaced with alsa

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
WHAT IS THIS NEW THING? OMG ITS DIFFERENT FROM SYSV, THIS CANT BE RIGHT THIS IS NOT REAL UNIX THE UNIX IDOEOLOGY, MY PRINCIPLES WILL BE WRECKED IF I AM FORCED TO USE THIS BECAUSE ITS CLOSED SOURCE LENNART HAS TAKEN CONTROL OF THE SOURCE AND IS HOLDING LINUS TORVALDS WITH A GUN ON HIS HEAD AND IF WE DONT STOP HIM SOON HE WILL BE THE OWNER AND MAINTAINER OF THE LINUX KERNEL.

MAYBE WE CAN SEEK SAFETY IN FREEBSD AND USE UNIX AS THE SYSV GODS INTENDED

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Celexi posted:

WHAT IS THIS NEW THING? OMG ITS DIFFERENT FROM SYSV, THIS CANT BE RIGHT THIS IS NOT REAL UNIX THE UNIX IDOEOLOGY, MY PRINCIPLES WILL BE WRECKED IF I AM FORCED TO USE THIS BECAUSE ITS CLOSED SOURCE LENNART HAS TAKEN CONTROL OF THE SOURCE AND IS HOLDING LINUS TORVALDS WITH A GUN ON HIS HEAD AND IF WE DONT STOP HIM SOON HE WILL BE THE OWNER AND MAINTAINER OF THE LINUX KERNEL.

Systemd simply isn't SYSV canon. Any fanfic that uses it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i actually liked smf and i kinda miss it. by comparison systemd looks needlessly overwrought, it does like ten things other than just fixing service management

i don't miss oracle price tags tho

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

pram posted:

lol no a decade ago oss was still being replaced with alsa

ALSA was introduced in 1998, PulseAudio in 2004

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
how do i make it so Pulse Audio remembers the level I set in the "INput Devices" tab of the GUI app thing of it. because it doesn't. i have to set it every time i resume my computer. WTF. also i use my mic a lot as my emplyment at a Call Center

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

also holy lol that linux audio thing from the grey thread

yeah, like has Linux seriously not had a central audio daemon until now? what a clown show.

it's not like someone couldn't have read up on Core Audio to see how it should be done

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Celexi posted:

heresy! it would be Unix as the true gods, the BSD gods intended!

(please tell me the BSDs aren't still reliant on /etc/rc.)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

yeah, like has Linux seriously not had a central audio daemon until now? what a clown show.

historically all audio functions were performed in-kernel. the audio driver handled mixing because hardware mixing was common

when that stopped being the case, things got a little weird

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

linux as usual from that thread too

Brownie posted:

Hey this might be the wrong place to ask this, but I just recently enrolled in a Programming Boot camp and need to use Linux or OSX for the first time. I don't have a Mac, so I've opted for dual booting Linux instead.

With so many different distros available I'm not sure which one I should go with. I've installed Ubuntu, which is pretty awesome, but I'm getting weird errors where characters are missing from UI text. Additionally the battery on my laptop drains pretty quickly (4 hours instead of 6-8 in windows) and it runs pretty hot nearly all the time.

I'm thinking of switching to Fedora but I'm not sure if it'll be worth it or if it'll cause even more headaches. I'm also not sure how easy it is to dual boot with windows 8.

I've got the 2015 Asus UX305 incase that matters.

:allears:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i'm not gonna poo poo on that post

that guy is trying to use the equipment he already has to improve his life. and he's installing desktop linux for the one really good reason that exists: writing software for linux

good on him

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
sad that the grey forums thread convinced him to try ubuntu

i could try to help people but i just don't have the balls to even try posting in the grey forums. yospos is the last place where mixing serious posting and being snarky doesn't result in constant probations

bring back lf

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i just don't have the balls to even try posting in the grey forums.

lucky grey forums

pram
Jun 10, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

ALSA was introduced in 1998, PulseAudio in 2004

this doesnt mean poo poo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
systemd was written in 2010. that means its been in every distro for the past 5 years - psuedorandom

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
alsa was practically universal by 2000. it was also a huge pain in the rear end, because all software used oss, and the alsa/oss wrappers didn't work well

the nasty alsa transition is where the linux/sound/lol jokes came from

pram
Jun 10, 2001
slackware didnt even get alsa until 2003, and it was still a majorish distro. i dont even know what this conversation is about anymore. fart burp piss gently caress

pram
Jun 10, 2001
oh right. because pulse was released in 2004 he thinks its been ubiquitous for a decade. lol yr dumb stfu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

oh right. because pulse was released in 2004 he thinks its been ubiquitous for a decade. lol yr dumb stfu

well if we limit our consideration of linux to slackware then things are gonna get real weird