Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

astral posted:

Please check if this test build fixes it on your Mac.

Have been using this test build for a while and, no, it doesn't seem to have fixed the issue. I may try a fresh install of Firefox and see if it's a problem with a conflicting add-on or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Can you make a setting to turn imgur gifs into gifv iframes?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I wanted to use the Support link at the top to report an issue with a banner ad, but SALR forces me to disable the addon in Firefox first in order to report anything... I'm not going to disable it and restart my browser and all its open tabs just to do that. Can you add a "no really, my issue has nothing to do with SALR features" second option?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

SpelledBackwards posted:

I wanted to use the Support link at the top to report an issue with a banner ad, but SALR forces me to disable the addon in Firefox first in order to report anything... I'm not going to disable it and restart my browser and all its open tabs just to do that. Can you add a "no really, my issue has nothing to do with SALR features" second option?

I vaguely remember there was a way around that but I forget what it was.

E: Found it.

duz posted:

You can set extensions.salastread.disabled to true to disable SALR without restarting the browser.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 6, 2015

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
Can the "Search Thread" box that gets added to the top of each thread be changed so it uses the new forums search? Currently it still uses the old search.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Schizophrenic Orb posted:

Can the "Search Thread" box that gets added to the top of each thread be changed so it uses the new forums search? Currently it still uses the old search.

Not yet - at least in some cases, the new beta search seems to be having trouble matching text in quoted posts, which is a dealbreaker.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Speaking of search - next to each post is the little "?" to show every post that person has made in a thread. Sometimes I want to find a post I've made in a thread but the only way to do so is to either post again or hunt down one of my old posts and click the "?" there. Which can be hard in a massive thread. Or a closed one.

Would it be possible to add the "show posts by this user" question mark next to the SALR search box and the "Who posted" at the top of each page?

Or I've missed an incredibly obvious and easy way to find old posts in a thread and have been doing it the hard way all this time.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Speaking of search - next to each post is the little "?" to show every post that person has made in a thread. Sometimes I want to find a post I've made in a thread but the only way to do so is to either post again or hunt down one of my old posts and click the "?" there. Which can be hard in a massive thread. Or a closed one.

Would it be possible to add the "show posts by this user" question mark next to the SALR search box and the "Who posted" at the top of each page?

Or I've missed an incredibly obvious and easy way to find old posts in a thread and have been doing it the hard way all this time.

You could put "&userid=42386" after the thread ID in the URL.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gorilla Salad posted:

:doh:

\/\/That's great, thanks. I was just going to map &userid=42386 to one of my extra mouse buttons, but that's a lot nicer.

Thanks again.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 19, 2015

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Gorilla Salad posted:

I requested someone to make a greasemonkey script to add a link to your posts and they made it here (and it's been very useful):

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2415898&pagenumber=70#post438078501

where it says var userid = 169765; you have to replace 169765 with your own ID.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 19, 2015

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
my quoted posts are now yellow not purple on default addon install on firefox. all the colors are correct in the options please help

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

my quoted posts are now yellow not purple on default addon install on firefox. all the colors are correct in the options please help

astral posted:

From a quick test, it looks like SALR is currently having trouble with picking up usernames on a fresh install, so it's not properly highlighting your quote. As Master_Odin mentioned, the forums have their own quote highlighting now, so you're seeing that instead. Go ahead and set extensions.salastread.username to your username in about :config and that should fix things for you.

I'll look into it some more.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Not sure if this helps but you only need to do something like this to get highlighting: (changing the setting string to be your setting as well as not use jQuery probably)
code:
jQuery('.userquoted').attr("style", "background: "+this.settings.userQuote+"!important");
As all SA added that helpful CSS element to quotes of you.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I've seen several people say SALR now makes webm files display inline now. But it doesn't for me. Is there a specific option I need to use?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Gorilla Salad posted:

I've seen several people say SALR now makes webm files display inline now. But it doesn't for me. Is there a specific option I need to use?

Maybe the chrome version does it?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Forgot there was a Chrome version. And you're right, I just installed it in my copy of Chrome and it has a "convert webm/gifycat to inline" option.

EDIT: Wow, the Chrome version has a tonne of really cool stuff in it.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 7, 2015

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm using SALR for Chrome, is there a way to highlight posts by specific users I select? I usually browse with avatars off (they're usually terrible and a giveaway that I'm browsing at work) and usernames are quite easy to overlook.

If I'm interesting in highlighting posts by a specific user (or users) is there a way to do this?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Do you see the "Add Coloring/Note" button below a person's post? Use that.

I've got half a dozen colors I use for people who are generally informative, or stupid, or trolls, etc. Makes it a breeze to scroll past idiots.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

nexus6 posted:

I'm using SALR for Chrome, is there a way to highlight posts by specific users I select? I usually browse with avatars off (they're usually terrible and a giveaway that I'm browsing at work) and usernames are quite easy to overlook.

If I'm interesting in highlighting posts by a specific user (or users) is there a way to do this?

I'm pretty sure there's a thread for the Chrome version.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Just a small update today.

:siren: v1.99.150407:siren:

• Added option to re-shrink the 'Pages:' line in thread list (default: off).

---

Master_Odin posted:

Not sure if this helps but you only need to do something like this to get highlighting: (changing the setting string to be your setting as well as not use jQuery probably)
code:
jQuery('.userquoted').attr("style", "background: "+this.settings.userQuote+"!important");
As all SA added that helpful CSS element to quotes of you.

I could have sworn I had already replied to this, but it looks like I didn't. :iiam: I would have posted that I had considered doing that, but the associated regex in the forum-side JS for applying that class was broken. However, that's all moot now since it looks like it was finally fixed on March 21; SALR will soon take advantage of this in a future update.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Are webm files posted often enough (and where?) to make it a worthwhile addition?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The PYF threads have started getting more and more of them.

Who wouldn't want to see this gymnastic robot inline?

http://i.imgur.com/nKgg9Vu.gifv

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Gorilla Salad posted:

This is pretty cool.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I can't remember - is SALR supposed to auto-update? If so, any idea why mine isn't?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'll look into this more closely later tonight.

hooah posted:

I can't remember - is SALR supposed to auto-update? If so, any idea why mine isn't?

Yep. What SALR and firefox versions are you using? Does the update work if you go to the addons page and tell it to check for updates?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Firefox 37.0.1, SALR 1.99.140209. Hitting "check for updates" on the add-ons page was what caused me to ask.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

hooah posted:

Firefox 37.0.1, SALR 1.99.140209. Hitting "check for updates" on the add-ons page was what caused me to ask.

Mozilla sucks at vetting add-ons (like a month backlog and if you update the version you submitted to Mozilla before it's vetted it gets sent to the back of the line) and if you're using too stable a version of Firefox you get to wait for addons.mozilla.org instead of using a direct update (or you have to install the update manually).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

hooah posted:

That was just about a day or two before SALR moved from Assembla to github, so I'd guess your copy of it for whatever reason didn't make the transition properly. Go ahead and manually install it once (download it from this link, then manually drag+drop into Firefox) and it should go back to auto-updating.

e: I believe I see why it didn't switch over, and will fix that ASAP. :)
e2: The transition should work properly now for anyone that was still stuck on the Assembla version.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Mozilla sucks at vetting add-ons (like a month backlog and if you update the version you submitted to Mozilla before it's vetted it gets sent to the back of the line) and if you're using too stable a version of Firefox you get to wait for addons.mozilla.org instead of using a direct update (or you have to install the update manually).

SALR doesn't use addons.mozilla.org, though word on the grapevine is that in a few Firefox versions we might need to.

astral fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 9, 2015

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Early teaser image of some work in progress, based on Firefox's in-content preferences:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren: v1.99.150412:siren:

• Video embedder now supports WebM and '.gifv' (imgur) formats by popular request.
    webm/gifv notes:
    • VP8 and Vorbis in WebM will only work with Firefox 4+
    • VP9 and Opus in WebM will only work with Firefox 28+
    • gifv looping only works on Firefox 11+
  • Slightly adjusted YouTube player sizes to prevent weird video scaling.
  • Added a small optimization for converting links to images and video embeds in image/video-heavy posts.
  • Posts by ignored users are now shrunk automatically.
  • Images hosted at waffleimages seen in old, old threads will now display if they were in the randomwaffle archive.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
How long does it usually take for an update to show up in "Check for Updates"?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ryanbruce posted:

How long does it usually take for an update to show up in "Check for Updates"?

Theoretically right after I push it live, but weird caching things can happen sometimes. I just tested with a manual downgrade to v1.99.150407, and 'Find Updates' seemed to work and brought me to the current.

e: Unless you're stuck on v1.99.140209 or so, where in some circumstances the Assembla->GitHub transition went wrong and a manual redownload is required.

astral fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 13, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Testing with little gymnastic robot:

No little gymnastic robot for me :(

If I click the link I get this:

Let's try a webm:

http://zippy.gfycat.com/RemorsefulJoyfulChupacabra.webm

Yess! Webms work perfectly.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 13, 2015

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I turned on embedding of video links, but the webm and gifv files in the post above don't show up. The URLs are highlighted now, but that's it.

Edit: nevermind, I didn't realize that clicking them would display them inline.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Do the gifv files work for you, or is it just me they're broken for?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Gorilla Salad posted:

Do the gifv files work for you, or is it just me they're broken for?

Both formats work for me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Great, now I have to to figure out why my crap is busted. I can watch them fine if I open them as links, just not inline :sigh:

Still, at least I know the extension's good :thumbsup:

EDIT - Well turns out I can watch the gifv files in the gif thread, but still not the little robot gymnast, no matter how hard I try. This must be one of those pyrrhic victories.

\/\/Yeah, it's obvious at this point that it's my computer playing up. Maybe if I turn the computer off and try again tomorrow it'll fix things. Hell, it's worked before.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 13, 2015

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I can view both.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It's still not updating correctly for me. 1.99.140618 on my laptop, can't check my desktop right now. No update is triggered.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Auto-updated for me, and both formats work just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

astral posted:

Theoretically right after I push it live, but weird caching things can happen sometimes. I just tested with a manual downgrade to v1.99.150407, and 'Find Updates' seemed to work and brought me to the current.

e: Unless you're stuck on v1.99.140209 or so, where in some circumstances the Assembla->GitHub transition went wrong and a manual redownload is required.

It eventually pulled up for me. I was running .150407 fwiw.

Just for my own knowledge, what's different about apps that require restart (SALR) vs ones that don't (Firebug)?

• Locked thread