Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Update 02: You Want To Touch Me? No talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Download

Kafka

A bow and arrow made with a man who once cursed another and who in turn metamorphosed into a hideous insect.

Still living inside a part of the bow's frame, he fires cursed arrows of savage, venomous bugs.

Enrapture

Though eighth in the angelic hierarchy, Enrapture was born many eons ago and is now considered the oldest angel to have ever existed.

Given the task of leading humans to bliss by speaking directly to their spirits, it is said that the concept of faith did not exist until Enrapture's creation.

There are many theories debated as to why this angel possesses its strange form of two human bodies seamed at the torso; perhaps, their shape is meant to exceed the bounds of human understanding, or maybe, in the depths of meditation, a monk approaching enlightenment caught a glimpse of this angel while its form was refracted between dimensions.

Baal

A royal inhabitant of Inferno. Concealing her form under most circumstances, she appears as a gigantic toad when summoned.

Baal's enormous, wobbly body is too heavy for her to control, giving her a disadvantage in the heat of battle; however, she possesses an endlessly extending tongue that can reach the far ends of the battlefield and swallow up opponents within an instant.

Rules of Nature

No matter the prosperity that modern technology brings, or the semblance of order civilization affords us, we can never truly overcome the power of nature.

500 years ago, a massive disaster renewed the fear of nature into the citizens of Noatun. A giant tsunami is said to have nearly swallowed the town whole. The cause of this wave remains shrouded in mystery. One theory postulates an underwater eruption. Whatever it was, the truth was swept to the bottom of the ocean along with the rest of the city.

You would never think it looking at the gentle waves that now brush the shore, but apparently whirlpools formed in the bay for some time after the tsunami, swallowing ships and people alike.

Path of the Chosen

While checking for leads at the town library, I spied an old wall print between dusty volumes.

The ancient print depicts the sacred mountain Fimbulventr and a long corridor emerging from the summit.

The path leads through the Cathedral of Cascades, terminating in a tall tower within the city.

If accurate, this print confirms that, while the tower is a shadow of its former glory, at one time there was a path from town leading directly to the mountain's peak.

Nothing too groundbreaking about that, but the next mural I found was harder to swallow, to say the least.

It showed people walking directly up the walls of the aforementioned spire. I thought the sea air might have gone to my head, but no matter how I looked at it, the truth was plain to see: there was a perpendicular parade going up that tower!

Were these the "Chosen Ones" I had heard so much about? Were these the chosen few who could walk the path to the god waiting atop Fimbulventr?

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hang on, just how tall is Bayonetta? Cause in that cutscene, Luka is taller than her; and she's supposed to be towering, if memory serves.

Also, tasseled, flared leather trousers... I'm no fashionista... but that's not, in any way, cool. Although I suppose that's the point, to be fair.

Edit: A boater hat isn't necessarily THAT bad.

Edit Edit: Oh my God; that was like Space Odyssey 2001 at the end, there.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 7, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's kinda jarring to me how everyone immediately associates Kafka with that one story which isn't even that good.

drowZebra
Jan 19, 2015

"Room full of zero G, I'mma dive"
Can someone please explain why that graphical glitch happens or how it is happening?
What makes it so that the previous frames just stay on the screen then slowly fade away or get covered up by the character model, effects, and the level itself?

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
When the graphics canvas is cleared it probably only clears images drawn to the front-face of polygons. In the vacuum of space where nothing is supposed to be drawn the canvas never clears so it renders a new 3d image over the top of the old one and repeats iteratively until a menu state is called or the program can draw a frame with actual models and textures in that pixel space.

Just a guess but I've replicated it on a smaller scale before using either JOGL or DX9. It's a common fault in graphics programming and it makes sense as to why it is happening - it's not a hardware glitch or nothin. People who are actual graphics programmers can explain it in better English than I can.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Its also a "bug" you'll find in other games when you go out of bounds. The first that comes to mind is Mirrors Edge.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
What it really reminds me of is using -idclip in Doom.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Funny you should mention about the lack of special prompts to do contextual moves on them, seeing as Platinum made a blog post specifically about adding in more hit reaction animations to enemies: http://platinumgames.com/2014/07/04/figuring-out-damage-motion/

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

AnotherGamer posted:

Funny you should mention about the lack of special prompts to do contextual moves on them, seeing as Platinum made a blog post specifically about adding in more hit reaction animations to enemies: http://platinumgames.com/2014/07/04/figuring-out-damage-motion/

Those two things aren't quite the same.

E: Also eugh I played through with a pro controller and never knew about the touching achievement.

:aaaaa:

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 7, 2015

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

drowZebra posted:

Can someone please explain why that graphical glitch happens or how it is happening?
What makes it so that the previous frames just stay on the screen then slowly fade away or get covered up by the character model, effects, and the level itself?

That's not a glitch, it's a feature

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013

drowZebra posted:

My knowledge of this is limited to messing about in TF2 maps but I think that without a skybox, or anything else, to draw the game doesn't wipe away what was on the screen beforehand.
Note how when the camera moves around it continuously draws Bayonetta and when it sees the tower it draws that as well.
In TF2, and other games, if the map maker can get away with not rendering an area of the map that they are sure a player won't see then they'll do it, as it helps with performance.

I've only ever seen this in games that allowed noclip though, I didn't think the devs would allow such an easy infinite jump to stay in the game.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I'm no longer mildly annoyed at the 2GB download because I too was curious what that looked like on youtube, and the answer was garbage. The effect is lost on youtube resolutions.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

GuavaMoment posted:

I'm no longer mildly annoyed at the 2GB download because I too was curious what that looked like on youtube, and the answer was garbage. The effect is lost on youtube resolutions.

Honestly I cannot blame youtube servers for messing up encoding 60fps of that glorious hellscape.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mulgar posted:

My knowledge of this is limited to messing about in TF2 maps but I think that without a skybox, or anything else, to draw the game doesn't wipe away what was on the screen beforehand.
Note how when the camera moves around it continuously draws Bayonetta and when it sees the tower it draws that as well.
In TF2, and other games, if the map maker can get away with not rendering an area of the map that they are sure a player won't see then they'll do it, as it helps with performance.

I've only ever seen this in games that allowed noclip though, I didn't think the devs would allow such an easy infinite jump to stay in the game.

Basically, the way it works is, to save processing power, most graphics engines won't redraw every single object every single frame, they will only redraw things that have changed since the last frame update. Everything else will just use the pixel value that it has in memory. The endless black void isn't a texture, or a skybox, so the engine doesn't have anything to draw, once something is written to the pixel it stays there until something that is an object overwrites it, like bayonetta, one of her attacks, the tower, or a wisp trail.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I think Luka's failure has less to do with his gear being crappy and more to do with Luka being incompetent. It seems pretty obvious to me that he's supposed to come across as a buffoon.

e: Also according to the Wiki if you use Kafka with Umbran Climax it fires giant demonic dragonflies called Carnage instead.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 8, 2015

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I could never really get into Kafka as a weapon, but at least it's not a complete dud unlike the next weapon. All my favorite weapons somehow ended up in the second half of the game.

Also apparently Luka is wearing his dad's outfit in this game? Considering how many designs that didn't make it into Bayonetta 2 got used in the second game I wouldn't be surprised, at least.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

I guess these posts from the PG dev blog cover the character designs for this game. I really don't know why they went with 'mariachi' for Luka when there were arguably better designs:

Trenchcoat design is so much better aaaaaaaagh. Mari Shimazaki is great though, and while I don't like how Jeanne looks in this game, the concept art for her is stunning.

At least this alt costume didn't make it into the game:

Neruz posted:

Also according to the Wiki if you use Kafka with Umbran Climax it fires giant demonic dragonflies called Carnage instead.

It's not mentioned in the Infernal Demons book except in concept art, which is weird given that it also appears in something other than UC. Guess it was another thing PG forgot to include?

e: I forgot, here's what that board says:

I might do a separate post later with all the translations and stuff, there's a lot of it (except for a few notable instances)

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 8, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

yoshesque posted:

I guess these posts from the PG dev blog cover the character designs for this game. I really don't know why they went with 'mariachi' for Luka when there were arguably better designs:
Another Metal Gear Rising reference (along with the cats) only taken a step too far? It's clear they want Luka to be buffoonish and overstated it a bit.

Those Bayonetta alt costumes are just :doh: though. Japan!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love cowboy Luka. He's not supposed to look cool. :colbert:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

yoshesque posted:

Would not have been so bad if they'd gone full ham, and just copied Raiden's outfit exactly from Revengeance.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dorky cowboy Luka is great and I will hear no disagreement.

Also Kafka is probably the most disappointing weapon in the game particularly given that you can't put it on your feet. It's just hard to think of a situation where you'd ever want what it does, even over the other arguably worst weapons in the game.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 8, 2015

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
They should've put him in a penguin mascot suit for the whole game and replaced all his lines with "noot noot". Unless they already did that and I'm spoiling something.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Blah i'm super glad i don't get to play as Babynetta, that looks disgusting on her.

I only ever got use out of the Bow in the "USE IT HERE" type of Muphelhiems where actually using the bow trivializes most the difficulty involved, at least until you get a certain other weapon a bit later on that completely shatters the difficulty of said Musphelhiems (god i hate spelling that loving word)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
If it makes you feel better you're spelling it wrong; it's Muspelheim and the plural is Muspelheimr.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Neruz posted:

If it makes you feel better you're spelling it wrong; it's Muspelheim and the plural is Muspelheimr.

Nah, sorry dude I looked it up and it isn't helping me.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
Man, you mentioned how there's not enough Moon River and now I've been listening to this track on loop for who knows how long.

drowZebra
Jan 19, 2015

"Room full of zero G, I'mma dive"
I just realized that this was the second hat Bayonetta has worn, and it's only the second chapter. I guess they really wanted to get their money's worth out of Bayonetta's new short hair that doesn't have the god of all bump-it's with her tower of long hair on top.

(BTW, thanks to those who helped answer my question about the crazy graphics at the end of last update.)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
To be fair; her new look does go great with a fancy hat.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I think the point of Luka's appearances in this game are to point out that he's actually an amazingly good investigator (he found out about Jeanne, knew what Bayonetta would be doing, and managed to get here before her and do some research on things that would be helpful to her) he's just really really not the action movie star he thinks he is, at least not without Cereza helping him out.

Vnat
Jan 24, 2013
I just noticed that baby outfit has underboob and now I have questions for the costume designer.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I don't really think that visual freak out gifs very well, but you can't say I didn't try!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I still can't get over the fact that they decided to give medium sized enemies a combo breaker parry move that they can pull off at any time.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I think the point of Luka's appearances in this game are to point out that he's actually an amazingly good investigator (he found out about Jeanne, knew what Bayonetta would be doing, and managed to get here before her and do some research on things that would be helpful to her) he's just really really not the action movie star he thinks he is, at least not without Cereza helping him out.

Considering some of the stuff he pulls off with his grappling hook in the first game, I think Luka is actually really competent (if a bit of an idiot). It's just that he's inserting himself in the affairs of actual badasses with superpowers, which makes him seem pathetic in comparison.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It doesn't help that when he tries to be badass he usually fails, unless he's not trying to be badass in which case he does amazing things.

Mainly because Bayonetta recognizes that and sorry Luka old boy, she's the star of this show! (Also amusing to watch when his attempts at badassery go awry.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

That scene from bayo 1 where he just kind of walks in out of nowhere, alive, with Cereza in tow going "Of course I survived, I'm a big damned hero" is great.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

I still can't get over the fact that they decided to give medium sized enemies a combo breaker parry move that they can pull off at any time.

This gets worse with bosses and on infinite climax. It's not bad per se, because enemies in Bayo 1 did it as well, but the frequency with which enemies do it in 2 is just bad (and again is probably lazy design to artificially make fights more difficult). You can mostly get around it by hitting them in the back, and Umbran Spear will *generally* put you behind enemies when it works properly, but some enemies (bosses) will still parry you even if you hit them from behind.

Umbran Spear being broken as hell annoys the poo poo out of me as well, it's frankly amazing how they could simultaneously improve it and make it worse at the same time.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
You seemed a bit iffy about the WiiU port of Bayonetta 1 in one of the videos. Is there something wrong with it?

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I am so, so, so, so, so happy you're the one doing this Yoshesque. Simply put, no one else would do.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Buck Turgidson posted:

You seemed a bit iffy about the WiiU port of Bayonetta 1 in one of the videos. Is there something wrong with it?

I think she was referring to the PS3 port, which while perfectly functional and useable, isn't as good as the 360 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Oh I must have misheard. The PS3 version is the only one I own so I know full well the issues that version has. Still one of my favourite games though.

• Locked thread