Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
fast learner is amazing it boosts skill learning at an increadible rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Slaapaav posted:

fast learner is amazing it boosts skill learning at an increadible rate

And a total waste of CharGen points if you have no trouble surviving/skilling playing on a long haul character. :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strumpie posted:

And a total waste of CharGen points if you have no trouble surviving/skilling playing on a long haul character. :shrug:

Alternatively, not taking it is a massive waste of real life points because I am not spending that long grinding poo poo if I can avoid it.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Alternatively, not taking it is a massive waste of real life points because I am not spending that long grinding poo poo if I can avoid it.

You're right, nothing is relative and we should all take every single positive trait. They're all good, right?

Wouldn't want to waste any more of my real life points playing videogames. :ironicat:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The best trait is Drunken Master because I spend as much time as possible drunk and hitting things anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strumpie posted:

You're right, nothing is relative and we should all take every single positive trait. They're all good, right?

Wouldn't want to waste any more of my real life points playing videogames. :ironicat:

You can take what you like but building a perfectly optimal character in this can be extremely tedious, hence why not everyone plays infected hobo starts. Sometimes it may be more entertaining to take a suboptimal character if it means you don't end up bashing your head in with the keyboard.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I cheat my driving up to 4 because I don't want to grind the driving skill by riding a bike in circles for 30 minutes. I highly recommend this.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
fast learner gets you high level tailoring really easy and that brings 100+ volume clothing so backmule becomes useless because weight is a way bigger issue at that point.

also biker is the best start because you have a trench knife and decent protection so you can just run into a zombie hellhole the second the game starts without doing any of that lovely planning or preperation stuff that makes the game not fun

esquilax posted:

I cheat my driving up to 4 because I don't want to grind the driving skill by riding a bike in circles for 30 minutes. I highly recommend this.

the random crashing into stuff brought on by having a lovely driving skill is a lot more fun than having 0 skill in any of the other disicplines (also biker starts with 4 driving)

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
So I'm getting back into this game (why, I don't know) but I have a couple questions that have irked me for a while:

1.) I really like the minimalism of the RetroDays tileset, but 20px tiles on black are still just a bit rough on my bad eyes. I tried resizing the PNGs and editing the tileset's JSON to 40px, but that messed everything up. Any advice? I don't want to use one of the full color 32px tilesets because I think they take away from Cataclysm's atmosphere as I imagine it. If there's no good option, I'll just go back to console ASCII.

2.) I would like to remove some of the fluff items, mostly because they make the crafting menu/inventory organization really annoying. Is there a one-stop patch for that or do I need to remove them on my own?

Thanks!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Slaapaav posted:

recoil goes up chance to hit goes down.

Conversely, use gunsmith kits on guns to accurize them. I keep forgetting about this, as well as reinforcing melee weapons with a soldering iron. Nothing is better than getting a katana forged of true hanzo steel, and soldering a bit of spare shelf to it to further increase its damage.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Well, now what am I supposed to do? I'm bionic modded to hell, I know ninjutsu, and I have a cvd machine forged hanzo diamond. I think I might just go lock myself in my treasure vault and retire this character, because it's kinda starting to get boring when nothing can actually challenge me anymore.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

I got bit and want to use my bottle of hydrogen peroxide on it to kill the infection, but there's no option to use it or craft anything relevant with it. What gives?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I'm chilling in a fire station for the winter while I pimp out an APC I found down the street. Any way to dig a basement or get arable land inside? I'd consider moving to one of the secret weed grow-ops I found but it's be a massive pain to move everything.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Any easy way to take care of turrets? I finally fix up an RV with plenty of gas, battery power and water/food for a long, long haul but of course down my one good road is a turret blockade. Should I try to improvise a grenade launcher, or is there an easier way? My attempts of molotoving them got me close enough to almost get killed, so I need a better plan.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're in an RV you should be able to go offroad fairly easily. Otherwise you want a gun and cover of night. You might be able to do it with a crossbow if you can get metal bolts?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Potshots with an accurate rifle from a long way away. SMG turrets have a range of about 25 squares; rifle a fair bit longer. Anti-materiel, well, just ram it with a really loving armoured car.

Also, did you know if you use hacking tools on the entrance to a military bunker, turrets emerge and kill you instantly??? I didn't!!!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So the rifle you get when starting as a bionic sniper is hilarious.

The thing's basically an anti-tank rifle. I'm killing zombies in one shot with it at supremely long ranges. Anything less than the size of a human gets splattered into extra meat chunks as well, allowing me to butcher the corpse for extra food.

The only problem is finding more ammo. But that's what fabrication is for.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
With fletched metal arrows and a reflex recurve bow, you can shoot at smg turrets from outside their sight range. If you lack ranged equipment, wait until midnight to throw crap at it because their night vision is only like 5 or 6 tiles.

Milspec turrets though, gently caress that poo poo. If you hack into a military bunker, pack some dynamite and peek with X after tossing a few bricks in there because those things don't gently caress around.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

deptstoremook posted:

1.) I really like the minimalism of the RetroDays tileset, but 20px tiles on black are still just a bit rough on my bad eyes. I tried resizing the PNGs and editing the tileset's JSON to 40px, but that messed everything up. Any advice? I don't want to use one of the full color 32px tilesets because I think they take away from Cataclysm's atmosphere as I imagine it. If there's no good option, I'll just go back to console ASCII.

I'm not sure if your issue is the same as mine, since you say you have trouble with their size, but I found the RetroDays tileset weirdly harsh on my eyes, and dealt with it by slightly brightening the black from all tiles, and darkening the floor tiles I found too bright (grass, dirt, asphalt, maybe some others). After that, I had no trouble.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Bionic Assassin is a pretty neat start. I just walked into a FEMA camp and massacred and butchered dozens of zombies, including a couple of zombie scientists and a bunch of zombie soldiers. Now I'm decked out in combat gear and cargo clothing and I just popped open six lockers crammed full of guns, ammo, and gun mods. This is going to take multiple trips to haul back to my lair.

Now I just need to find some antibiotics for this bite wound :saddowns:

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Aaaaaand I bungled it all up. Got stun-locked by a shocker brute and his jerk friends. Still, 11 days is my new overall record. Now I'm gonna go for a power-trip character to feel better. Bionic Assassin Comrade Garry.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

geeko55 posted:

Any easy way to take care of turrets? I finally fix up an RV with plenty of gas, battery power and water/food for a long, long haul but of course down my one good road is a turret blockade. Should I try to improvise a grenade launcher, or is there an easier way? My attempts of molotoving them got me close enough to almost get killed, so I need a better plan.

I haven't tried it yet but reddit claims that EMP grenades will take them out without damaging that sweet sweet loot.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Shocker brutes and zombies are pretty annoying because you either have to range attack them or use a non-conductive weapon to melee or they'll zap you. However with my character now having samurai sword training I can bop things with a piece of wood and suddenly do stupid damage. They are one of those enemy types that I will immediately consider using a powerful firearm on, especially early on.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Potshots with an accurate rifle from a long way away. SMG turrets have a range of about 25 squares; rifle a fair bit longer. Anti-materiel, well, just ram it with a really loving armoured car.

Also, did you know if you use hacking tools on the entrance to a military bunker, turrets emerge and kill you instantly??? I didn't!!!

This also applies, to my surprise and dismay, when you try and smash them open with jackhammers. I think bunker/military interiors are always guarded by some kind of ultra-powerful turrets that disappear only when you open the door legit (with an ID card)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PiCroft posted:

This also applies, to my surprise and dismay, when you try and smash them open with jackhammers. I think bunker/military interiors are always guarded by some kind of ultra-powerful turrets that disappear only when you open the door legit (with an ID card)

Same with labs, actually, if you're wondering, but people generally don't bother smashing into them.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

OwlFancier posted:

Same with labs, actually, if you're wondering, but people generally don't bother smashing into them.

For some reason, I'm tripping over lab cards, but military IDs are nary to be seen.

Also protip for people who didn't know: if you find one of those massive wreckage piles (huge piles of rubble that have military-type stuff scattered around), I strongly recommend bringing a shovel. If you dig up the rubble (by [e]xamining it) you can turn up some pretty neat loot. I just found a shockwave generator and monomolecular blade cbms from digging up wreckage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PiCroft posted:

For some reason, I'm tripping over lab cards, but military IDs are nary to be seen.

Also protip for people who didn't know: if you find one of those massive wreckage piles (huge piles of rubble that have military-type stuff scattered around), I strongly recommend bringing a shovel. If you dig up the rubble (by [e]xamining it) you can turn up some pretty neat loot. I just found a shockwave generator and monomolecular blade cbms from digging up wreckage.

Lab cards are generally more common than military IDs by a good margin. Most dead scientists will have lab cards but few military corpses will have IDs.

You can often find them in toxic waste dumps however.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

shotguns are cool because they kill turrets before they put 20 rounds of 556 through your torso at point blank range. if you have a shotgun and an electro hack you can start taking down bunkers safely, if the locks inside break from hacking attempts you will need a acy torch though. i have never tried with a military id card because the shotgun method works so well.

for blockades use a rifle , most turrets wont shoot until you are something like 14 squares from them, at that range they wont really hurt you even if they start shooting because most shots will miss.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

Lab cards are generally more common than military IDs by a good margin. Most dead scientists will have lab cards but few military corpses will have IDs.

You can often find them in toxic waste dumps however.

military outposts have cards on almost every corpse but you need to kill at ton of turrets at range to get near them so it might not be worth it unless you have good long range firepower availible

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
What's the relationship between steadying and the options for aiming, like careful or precise, when firing a ranged weapon? In the past it was just recoil you had to worry about, but it seems a bit more complex now and I'm having trouble hitting things.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
careful and precise are just hotkeys for spending a certain amount of time on aiming i think. its the same as before they just made it more transparent but they did add more recoil to every weapon.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

The secret to any successful home surgery is lots of cocaine.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Twitter Warpath posted:

I got bit and want to use my bottle of hydrogen peroxide on it to kill the infection, but there's no option to use it or craft anything relevant with it. What gives?

If activating the bottle doesn't do what you want, it's not the right type of disinfectant.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
I'm the kind of player that hoards everything with some potential use, with various roguelikes and Bethesda games driving me batshit, but this thing really takes the cake. I'm barely a few hours in and I've already driven myself out of my mind by completely mulching half of the town's furniture and storing the million resulting 2-by-4s in my lovely shack. I've forced myself to stop and I'm wondering now if there's maybe some super low-effort/lazy ways to become a successful cyborg abomination, i.e. ways that don't heavily involve the crafting system?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hiveminded posted:

I'm the kind of player that hoards everything with some potential use, with various roguelikes and Bethesda games driving me batshit, but this thing really takes the cake. I'm barely a few hours in and I've already driven myself out of my mind by completely mulching half of the town's furniture and storing the million resulting 2-by-4s in my lovely shack. I've forced myself to stop and I'm wondering now if there's maybe some super low-effort/lazy ways to become a successful cyborg abomination, i.e. ways that don't heavily involve the crafting system?

Go raid a science lab, they tend to have the occasional room full of bionics.

Bring mittens.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
You can butcher shocker zombies and zombie bio operators for a chance at recovering some of their bionics. I think some of the high end electronics stores with the metal doors have them as well. Groups of scientist corpses and helicopter wreckage also sometimes have CBMs. Labs are still your best bet though since they tend to have a lot more of the power storage and power generation CBMs in the lower tier bionics rooms which you need to actually make use of most bionics. You'll need a serviceable computers skill or something capable of breaching a wall to get them out of their little vaults however.

To install them the most important skills to raise are electronics, first aid, and mechanics in that order so you will need to grind that up a bit but that can be done pretty easily with books. It also tells you the percentage of successfully installing the cbm along with a y/n prompt before you actually attempt it so you wont be going in blind.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 9, 2015

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Take some of that Adderall you've been hoarding to boost your intellect so you don't accidentally confuse your intestine with the colon when CBM installing. Mistakes can be rather dreadful.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Some rear end in a top hat just robbed me at gunpoint :stare:

e: I just opened a room in a house to find out what the gently caress was making so much noise, and discovered like 12 Z-9s trying to chew their way through the walls.

I burned the house down.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 9, 2015

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

nftyw posted:

Take some of that Adderall you've been hoarding to boost your intellect so you don't accidentally confuse your intestine with the colon when CBM installing. Mistakes can be rather dreadful.

It should also be noted that installing a CBM takes no time, so it's an effective strategy to hoard up a bunch of difficult CBMs and install them all in a single drug fueled binge. Also, unless it's changed since I last played, the failure penalty for installation depends on the chance of failure - if it's below 20%, the worst that will happen, aside from losing the (potentially rare) CBM you're attempting to install, is a medium amount of damage and pain. As long as you do it in a safe place, you'll be fine. If the failure chance is over 20%, you start running the risk of losing previously installed bionics or... worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
so i made a guy that had a mansion just outside the shelter. inside the first room in the mansion i find a nodachi lying on a shelf. inside the town after like 3 days i find michael jackson, i run through the dancers and hack him to pieces and then the 20 hulks punch me through like 2 cars and 3 buildings before i die.