Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Bisty Q. posted:

Please stop with this bullshit that is not even remotely related to ridiculing audiophiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In the Renaissance, painters had to know how to mix their own pigments, but the availability of modern dyes never held back Picasso.

Amusingly, Picasso's art education was based on thorough study and imitation of the old masters so I don't think this is the best argument to use against learning to shoot and develop film.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TopherCStone posted:

Amusingly, Picasso's art education was based on thorough study and imitation of the old masters so I don't think this is the best argument to use against learning to shoot and develop film.

Ridicule Audiophiles: Film v. Digital Photography

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
So, I've decided to subscribe to Tidal at least until Apple does their thing in May. I will say, though, that I might stick with Tidal even if everyone else flips the switch on FLAC audio - the app itself is just more enjoyable for me to use than the alternatives.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

BigFactory posted:

Discipline and patience. Nobody or at least very few people need the actual skills any more but the discipline of working your craft without an undo button has value. Feel free to disagree.

Exactly like my flint knapping example then. Good to see we agree on something.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

flosofl posted:

Ridicule Audiophiles: Film v. Digital Photography

I'm sorry; I started it. :(

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm sorry; I started it. :(

I thought it was an interesting derail. It's not like it was keeping anything else from being posted here.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Here's a good one from Wat HiFi?, which is a blog everyone should subscribe to. Yes, it's another set of apparently very wonderful digital cables!

quote:

It’s actually irrelevant which Tellurium Q cable you select to compare against its Nordost opponent, it’s more that the difference in the nature of the performance of both ‘families’ is so huge as to render the ‘bits is bits’ idea laughable to any listener.

Laughable, my good sirs.

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/tellurium-q-digital-cable-range/

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Laughable indeed. I'm sad I didn't get any dark chocolate cables for Easter, they sound delicious.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

quote:

Tellurium Q doesn’t publish specifications – in part because it doesn’t want to hand over its trade secrets to its rivals, and in part because there’s a tendency for people to make odd proclamations about sound based on materials alone (“it’s a silver cable, and as such it sounds shiny”)

quote:

Put simply, the Nordost had more energy,

quote:

and the Tellurium Q cables were darker sounding.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Tellurium Q doesn’t publish specifications – in part because it doesn’t want to hand over its trade secrets to its rivals

I would love if any other industry tried this same logic.

"No sir we can't tell you how many horsepower you get with this vehicle because we don't want to hand over our trade secrets to competitors"

"but..."

"TRADE SECRETS"

:iiaca:

Or even better

"No sir, we can't tell you the weight limit on this bridge because it would be like handing over our trade secrets to our rivals"

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It's a good thing that audio quality has nothing to do with the electrical properties of a cable, it would be awful if you could just measure it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Darker sounding. What the gently caress does that even signify.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not just dark...

"That rich, dark chocolate presentation gets richer and darker as you go up the lines too."

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Combat Pretzel posted:

That the reviewer is absolutely mental.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

bigman.50grand posted:

That the reviewer is absolutely mental.

He is unique in that with audiophile reviews as they're usually really sensible.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Combat Pretzel posted:

You get to use your imagination!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

"No sir we can't tell you how many horsepower you get with this vehicle because we don't want to hand over our trade secrets to competitors"

"but..."

"TRADE SECRETS"

Or even better

"No sir, we can't tell you the weight limit on this bridge because it would be like handing over our trade secrets to our rivals"

Also the fact that their "competitors" can just buy a pair and test them. Or take them apart. I'm thinking too hard about this, aren't I?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
But you're forgetting that you can't determine the patented cryo-freezing technology used to condition the cables by simply taking them apart.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Pretty sure they all have an agreement not to post photos of the other persons $5 usb cables with the mesh removed.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BANME.sh posted:

But you're forgetting that you can't determine the patented cryo-freezing technology used to condition the cables by simply taking them apart.

Schroedingers Cables: they exist simultaneously in a worthless/invaluable state until the internals are observed.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

A local dutch HiFi site posted this awesome new product, found some english info on it: HARMONIX Big Band Tuning Tape

quote:

Harmonix “Big-Band” tuning tapes, likewise, other Harmonix tuning devices such as RF-5700, improve the signal transmission when applied to analog and digital signal cables, headphone cables and speaker cables, and better conductance when applied to power cords.
In case, the sound quality of Car audio systems matter seriously, “Big-Band” tuning tapes will do the same improvement of car audio systems as well.
The improvement is no least and let car drivers comfortably relax and increasing more pleasant in listening car audio systems.
Moreover, “Big-Band” can also tune the tone-arm of analog LP players.

Tuned with “Big-Band”, the sound quality will become much more natural with rich details and harmony. “Big-Band”, in many respects, acquire better appreciate the ambient information of a live musical performance and promises serious music listeners to satisfy and increasing the joy of music listening entertainment in any cases.

How do you use it, you might ask? Well, you peel off the back of the adhesive tuning tape (Made from special japanese paper and some thing copper sheet material) and you tape it around whatever you want it's sound or picture quality improved!

It can be yours starting at a price of 140 dollars for 4 (1) strips of Tuning Tape!

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I think these guys think that cables are carrying literal sound waves inside them, like water in pipes.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Cable insulation is crucial to maintaining a warm sound.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

LifeSizePotato posted:

I think these guys think that cables are carrying literal sound waves inside them, like water in pipes.

Which is interesting in that it's not how either works.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

90% bong-hose, 10% reclaimed copper from vacant office blocks.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

Whatever, dude. :rolleyes: My tap water had a noticeably lighter, cleaner taste with delicate notes of Norwegian glacier after I wrapped ionized platinum bands around my pipes under the sink.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LifeSizePotato posted:

Whatever, dude. :rolleyes: My tap water had a noticeably lighter, cleaner taste with delicate notes of Norwegian glacier after I wrapped ionized platinum bands around my pipes under the sink.

The positive water ions have a lighter, more airy taste and the negative water ions taste more energetic! :eng101:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Boiled Water posted:

Haven't you had ion infused water?

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Wasabi the J posted:

Haven't you had ion infused water?

Speaking of, I saw a group of shower heads that advertised "oxygen-infused water". Now I may wrong, but wouldn't adding oxygen to water result in hydrogen peroxide?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Good news: That's not how chemistry works. Luckily, or the top layer of all oceans and bodies of water would be hydrogen peroxide. On a related note: Your tap water is oxygenated :v: .

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

Good news: That's not how chemistry works. Luckily, or the top layer of all oceans and bodies of water would be hydrogen peroxide. On a related note: Your tap water is oxygenated :v: .

Nitrogenated would be more accurate. :v:

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Boiled Water posted:

:ughh:

Goddamnit, I knew I was missing something stupid.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shaft481 posted:

Speaking of, I saw a group of shower heads that advertised "oxygen-infused water". Now I may wrong, but wouldn't adding oxygen to water result in hydrogen peroxide?

No. It's just dissolved in it like it is in all water. It doesn't do anything but it's not a lie.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Willeh posted:

A local dutch HiFi site posted this awesome new product, found some english info on it: HARMONIX Big Band Tuning Tape

How do you use it, you might ask? Well, you peel off the back of the adhesive tuning tape (Made from special japanese paper and some thing copper sheet material) and you tape it around whatever you want it's sound or picture quality improved!

It can be yours starting at a price of 140 dollars for 4 (1) strips of Tuning Tape!
I'll sell you twice as much copper tape for only $70 and I'll take some pictures with vacuum tubes I found in a bag in my basement pointed at it from a variety of angles! Call now and I'll double the order!

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
Is anybody just selling EQs in blackboxes that produce these effects for real?

I have a feeling that devices that actually affect the sound would probably sell about as well (but maybe not quite as well) as the pseudoscientific stuff, given the same branding.

You could make a "darker sound" box by compressing bass and cutting mids from 1k to 3khz or something, for instance, but claim it uses crystal powers instead.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
You're missing the part where this whole charade is completely in these rich rear end in a top hat's heads.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Krotera posted:

Is anybody just selling EQs in blackboxes that produce these effects for real?

I have a feeling that devices that actually affect the sound would probably sell about as well (but maybe not quite as well) as the pseudoscientific stuff, given the same branding.

You could make a "darker sound" box by compressing bass and cutting mids from 1k to 3khz or something, for instance, but claim it uses crystal powers instead.

That would cost money to produce because it actually does something. Audiophile poo poo is all about getting the most cash for the least amount of product so you only have to sell a couple to make phat stacks and spend the summer touring Europe.

*edit: also why have goons not got together to produce their own line of overpriced goods to sell on at ridiculous prices?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

"but..."

"TRADE SECRETS"

Or even better

Rolls-Royce and Bentley both do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

GWBBQ posted:

I'll sell you twice as much copper tape for only $70 and I'll take some pictures with vacuum tubes I found in a bag in my basement pointed at it from a variety of angles! Call now and I'll double the order!

That's not gonna work because in the bullshit Audiophile community more dollars spent == better audio. Make it 700 and we'll talk!