Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Hell, even Mark webber could have won the WDC with the 2011 red bull...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

El Hefe posted:

Pastor would've won the WDC with the 2011 Red Bull

:agreed:

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

El Hefe posted:

Doubtful unless there were no other cars on the track for him to crash into. But then it'd still be dicey because he's proven capable of taking himself out just fine.

Also, gently caress Sebastien Vettel.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

be nice wicka posted:

the only things worse than reddit are willcrouch and norns, whoever the gently caress they are

You're a strange dude.

enri posted:

You're all terrible people with terrible opinions.

Jenson Button WDC 2015

Only if he keeps that amazing mustache the entire season.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

El Hefe posted:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Monsieur Le Shamilton fait le bourde mon dieu

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6i6l4_abandon-lewis-hamilton-gp-chine-200_sport

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Mick "Da poo poo" Schumacher.

http://imgur.com/a/N8AqC

His helmet is apparently a cross of his uncle's and dad's.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

El Hefe posted:

Formula 1 race winner Pastor would've won the WDC with the 2011 Red Bull

Ftfy

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I don't know man, take a loving break. Your not the worst thread god anymore.

I'm sorry I'm not your hero any more. It's never nice when you end up disliking one of your heroes. I guess that means you'll be taking my poster down off your wall? It saddens me to think there's going to be a Brainwrong sized gap on your wall between Damon Hill and the detailed map of Ankh Morpork. Perhaps you can get a new poster to fill the gap? I hear El Hefe is a good looking chap.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Brainwrong posted:

I'm sorry I'm not your hero any more. It's never nice when you end up disliking one of your heroes. I guess that means you'll be taking my poster down off your wall? It saddens me to think there's going to be a Brainwrong sized gap on your wall between Damon Hill and the detailed map of Ankh Morpork. Perhaps you can get a new poster to fill the gap? I hear El Hefe is a good looking chap.

I was thinking of a BeNiceWicka mural to be honest.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I was thinking of a BeNiceWicka mural to be honest.

That would make him your bedroom's title sponsor though. And we all know how he feels about that subject.

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?

Brainwrong posted:

detailed map of Ankh Morpork

... of what?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

aequalis posted:

... of what?

Greatest city state on the Discworld, which sits atop 4 giant elephants which are in turn, standing on the back of the world turtle, the Great A'Tuin. GOD don't know anything?

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Alonso wants to end his career at McLaren

He's certainly going the right way about it.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Does it go without saying that he said the same thing at ferrari and renault?

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Does it go without saying that he said the same thing at ferrari and renault?

He's a slut.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Brainwrong posted:

He's a slut.

Prostitute is more accurate since he has to get paid for his attention.

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?

darth cookie posted:

Greatest city state on the Discworld, which sits atop 4 giant elephants which are in turn, standing on the back of the world turtle, the Great A'Tuin. GOD don't know anything?

Uhhh...no...

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

aequalis posted:

Uhhh...no...

Discworld series by the recently deceased Terry Pratchett. A very good collection of odd fantasy books. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with F1 though, so I'll leave it at that.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

darth cookie posted:

Discworld series by the recently deceased Terry Pratchett. A very good collection of odd fantasy books. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with F1 though, so I'll leave it at that.

What the gently caress does 90% of this thread have to do about F1?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
90% of my posts are about races that happened between 80-92.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wasn't even alive for the majority of them.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Wirth1000 posted:

90%? Stop being nice, 98% is closer to the mark

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Human Grand Prix posted:

90% of my posts are about races that happened between 80-92.

I like your history filled posts.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

aequalis posted:

... of what?

Ankh-Morpork is a fictional city-state which features prominently in Terry Pratchett's Discworld fantasy novels. At first glance the world may seem to be written in medieval fantasy style; however, Ankh-Morpork is very much the parody of a modern, multi-cultural metropolis. It may bring to mind London or New York City, several centuries mixed into one, with elements of renaissance Florence (compare the ultra-rational dictator Lord Vetinari who certainly has read or even written himself the Discworld-equivalent of Macchiavelli's Il Principe). Pratchett describes this biggest city of Discworld as on the far side of corrupt and polluted, and as subject to outbreaks of comedic violence and brouhaha on a fairly regular basis. Ankh-Morpork is also the mercantile capital of the Discworld. As the series proceeds, Ankh-Morpork is more and more portrayed as multi-cultural (which in this case means multi-species, with increasingly prominent populations of creatures such as dwarfs, trolls, and werewolves) and struggling with modern real-world challenges. Even when it is under attack from a dragon, the vegetable carts still have to come in.

In The Art of Discworld Pratchett explains that the city is similar to Tallinn and central Prague, but adds that it has elements of 18th-century London, 19th-century Seattle and modern New York City. He also states that since the creation of The Streets of Ankh-Morpork, he has tried to ensure that the descriptions of character movements and locations in the books match the Ankh-Morpork map; this has allowed him, and fans of the series, to visualise the story more clearly. Ankh-Morpork is also referred to as "The Great [or Big] Wahoonie" on occasions, alluding to "The Great Wen" (London), or to "The Big Apple" (New York). It is stated in the novel Moving Pictures that "There's a saying that all roads lead to Ankh-Morpork. And it's wrong. All roads lead away from Ankh-Morpork, but sometimes people walk along them the wrong way." There are also strong parallels with the political structure, economy, social structure, topography and history of the city-state Florence during the Renaissance.

Personally I would rather have a detailed map of Westeros

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 9, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

What's westeros? I need a detailed history of that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

What's westeros? I need a detailed history of that.

They were McLaren's title sponsor in the mid to late 90s

willcrouch
Jul 2, 2007

Sorry I'm late, but is this open? Because if it is, I am taking it, and I will own it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

willcrouch posted:

Sorry I'm late, but is this open? Because if it is, I am taking it, and I will own it.

Yeah, nobody is using it.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Ankh-Morpork is a fictional city-state... :words:

loving hell. :yikes:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
This is the worst thread.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

willcrouch posted:

you loving mongoloid

the loving third post above yours

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Jam posted:

Yeah, nobody is using it.

good man

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

willcrouch posted:

:mrgw2:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Wirth1000 posted:

What is the story with BTCC these days? Is it still going on? DO they broadcast it in the US anymore?

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

AgentJotun posted:

Ok I was with you on the first paragraph. There is alot of Formula E talent and tbh I think its a shame that a lot of the Redbull drivers were chewed up and spit out of F1. They were all reasonably competent drivers. But I can't agree with the quality of this years grid.

Personally I don't think Grosjean and Maldonado are F1 level talents. We know the two Manor guys are a joke, as is Ericsson. Im not convinced Nasr is any good. Jury is still out on Sainz and Verstappen. Perez is decent but nothing special (and he is probably as bad or even worse then Maldonado when it comes to crashing into people) and Massa is well past his prime. Kvyat has been good so far but we'll see. I think the crappyness of the grid is magnified because 2 of the top 5 drivers on the grid are currently in the worst car out there.

But even if you say only the Manor and Sauber guys are there *just* because of money, thats still 20% of seats given to undeserving guys. Seems excessive especially when guys like JEV, Di Resta, Magnussen and even Kobayashi can't get seats.

Edit - I know 'its always been that way' - I'd just prefer to see the elite level of motorsport contain exclusively elite talent.

To be fair to Red Bull they do get a lot of top talent into F1, but they're ruthless once they're there. I've not seen any evidence that Kvyat was a better choice than Vergne would have been for the second Red Bull seat this year - I think they're pretty equal on talent currently, but Kvyat is obviously younger and may have more potential.

As far as the rest of your post goes, yeah, you can make the case either way. Personally I rate Nasr and I think Sainz and Verstappen have both impressed so far. Ericsson I can take or leave, I don't think he's a great talent but if Kobayashi couldn't get funding and Bianchi stayed in a coma he was the pick of last year's poo poo team drivers. Grosjean is one who has underachieved. I think there's more to him but whether we'll ever see it, who knows? This year's grid may well have a bunch of average F1 drivers, but there aren't many I'd swap out even though I'd have loved to see Vergne race a good car. There are enough average drivers and enough drivers who can be well above average on their day to give us some good racing.

Perez and Maldonado are special and should remain on the grid as long as possible. On their very finest days I sometimes wonder if they're the wildcards everyone quietly accepted to get Bernie to drop his sprinklers thing.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

Grosjean is one who has underachieved. I think there's more to him but whether we'll ever see it, who knows?

Wasn't he pretty much the non-Vettel-to-beat at the end of 2013? He also won the ROC that year. He's not nearly as crashy as he used to be, and he performs in a good car.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

McMadCow posted:

Wasn't he pretty much the non-Vettel-to-beat at the end of 2013? He also won the ROC that year. He's not nearly as crashy as he used to be, and he performs in a good car.

I think Grosjean and Hulkenberg are going to be the modern Fisi and Trulli in that they'll finally get a good car too late in their careers.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Brainwrong posted:

Alonso wants to end his career at McLaren

He's certainly going the right way about it.

I think you meant 'life'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

I think Grosjean and Hulkenberg are going to be the modern Fisi and Trulli in that they'll finally get a good car too late in their careers.

I agree. At best Hulkenberg might be an HHF.

• Locked thread