Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
IDK man, I've just seen some R/C plane people online get real mad about FPV.

Stuff like that you can get "confused" while flying FPV because you can't see the plane, etc.

But these are the kind of people that say poo poo like you should only ever fly over empty fields (ever), that join local clubs that require you to get X number of hours with somebody else's controller hooked to yours before you can fly the plane on your own, who think flying their R/C plane around "the pattern" (aka in a big circle around the empty field) over and over is fun, etc.

Honestly, a lot of it seems like old grognards that took -~Their Hobby~- way too seriously and are mad about all these new people coming in and wanting to do things like fly their plane as if they were on the plane instead of boringly watching from the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
yep sounds like grogs 2 me

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i bet those guys lose their poo poo whenever anyone flips the "return to launch" switch and their aircraft flies home by itself using gps

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so u fly your plane like oculous rift or just record it and watch late

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

echinopsis posted:

so u fly your plane like oculous rift or just record it and watch late

both at the same time. did you see on my quad there's two cameras, one is low resolution and fixed direction, and sends video back. the other one is a gopro for recording fancy video and is mounted on a stabilising gimbal. it's entirely possible to send back video from the gopro but it's much better to fly from a fixed camera.

if you get super fancy you can add head tracking to the goggles so that the video camera turns wherever you point your head.

re. the grogs thing: it varies by country i think. in the uk they are super groggy about it but in canada it's a lot more relaxed. that's my experience anyway

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

yeah I'm fine just building a control panel and readouts for KSP

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

yo how does the gimbal control work? is it just doing antivibration stabilizing and leveling or can you point it around?

i've got a ROV and i want to make a better camera gimbal for it. right now it's got servos and those work ok but i eventually want a 3-axis brushless gimbal that i can use to follow a rift around for sick-nasty situational awareness. i'm having a heck of a time finding any actual documentation on this, i guess the tech's too new for that sort of thing?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Glorgnole posted:

yo how does the gimbal control work? is it just doing antivibration stabilizing and leveling or can you point it around?

i've got a ROV and i want to make a better camera gimbal for it. right now it's got servos and those work ok but i eventually want a 3-axis brushless gimbal that i can use to follow a rift around for sick-nasty situational awareness. i'm having a heck of a time finding any actual documentation on this, i guess the tech's too new for that sort of thing?

well the one that i have is a 2 axis, nothing fancy. there are some gyros on the mount at the rear of the camera. the control board controls brushless motors on the pitch and roll axes to keep the camera pointing straight and level. there are two spare channels on the radio control receiver which i have attached to the bias inputs on the gimbal controller - that means i can control the camera by turning some knobs on the control tx.

the thing about brushless motors is that they can accurately keep the camera pointing where you want it with no lag or slop or bullshit no matter how violently the quad thrashes around. better than servos for this particular purpose.

my gimbal isn't suitable for use with head tracking because it's 2 axis. you need 3 for head tracking. you'd have control coming from gyros on your head, going into the control tx, being picked up by the control rx, and being passed into the gimbal controller.

gimbals don't reduce vibration by the way - that duty is filled by rubbery shock absorbers between the airframe and the camera mount plate. you can probably see them in my pics.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
correction, the fatshark head trackers use magnetometers, accelerometers, and gyros in combination for accurate tracking. not just gyros.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
fatshark more like fartshart

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wild EEPROM posted:

fatshark more like fartshart

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
drew curtis' shat fark

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:smugmrgw:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
there are still people who haven't downloaded it?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
id compeltely forgotten about it, i had a label in utorrent called generous and i was like whats in there and i saw that raysh and was like poo poo eyah i am one great motherfucker

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Doc Block posted:

there are still people who haven't downloaded it?

i havent been able to open the torrent link since ever

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Dr. Honked posted:

well the one that i have is a 2 axis, nothing fancy. there are some gyros on the mount at the rear of the camera. the control board controls brushless motors on the pitch and roll axes to keep the camera pointing straight and level. there are two spare channels on the radio control receiver which i have attached to the bias inputs on the gimbal controller - that means i can control the camera by turning some knobs on the control tx.

the thing about brushless motors is that they can accurately keep the camera pointing where you want it with no lag or slop or bullshit no matter how violently the quad thrashes around. better than servos for this particular purpose.

my gimbal isn't suitable for use with head tracking because it's 2 axis. you need 3 for head tracking. you'd have control coming from gyros on your head, going into the control tx, being picked up by the control rx, and being passed into the gimbal controller.

gimbals don't reduce vibration by the way - that duty is filled by rubbery shock absorbers between the airframe and the camera mount plate. you can probably see them in my pics.

that's pretty slick! did it work right out of the box?
more questions:
- what kind of signal do the bias inputs take? are they pwm or what?
- if you turn the quad does the gimbal stay pointing at the same location on the ground or does it follow?
- does the gimbal work upside down?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You can set up a lot of them to work mounted upside down, I've seen people do helmet mounts on top or one the side. They take a pwm signal, same thing as a regular servo. Gimbal behavior can vary on mode you set it in - my h3-3d does a slower follow on the yaw, but you can have gimbal modes that try to maintain the same orientation on all axes at all times (within reason)

quote:

did it work right out of the box?

his was designed for his particular model but a lot of them are going to need to real tuning to work well.

Dr. Honked posted:

cheerson cx20/quanum nova uses an arduino flight controller, based on the open hardware/software ardupilot. get the ground station softwares here http://planner.ardupilot.com/

some do, you have to be careful with the cheerson that you get the right one

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 5, 2015

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
what yolo wizard said. the store should know if they have the open sores one or not. if they don't know, don't buy.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
yayy some junk from china is on it's way to me now

wtf is up w hong kong post though the tracking numbers i get from DX or iTead NEVER loving WORK

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
love junk from china

I've got some sexy underwear coming

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

wtf is up w hong kong post though the tracking numbers i get from DX or iTead NEVER loving WORK

be sure to post a trip report

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

mine work, but only until it leaves HK, then it's 3 weeks of mystery

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

im trying to come up with a reason to build a robot but i cant think of anything fun interesting or cool

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 381 days!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Bloody posted:

im trying to come up with a reason to build a robot but i cant think of anything fun interesting or cool

what kind of robot do you want to build? that should help with thinking of stuff for it to do

do you want a mobile robot? one that flies or goes underwater?

do you want a stationary thing, like a big arm?

robots are cool and good and i wish you much luck

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Bloody posted:

i had this video in the back of my mind for a couple of years before i had an idea + time to pursue it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RyodnisVvU&t=37s
then i had to come up with a simpler idea to get started with servos and accelerometers. then i got sidetracked on a more stationary project. but someday i'll have time and a workbench and a scope and it will be awesome

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i decided to rebuild my old Core 2 computer to use as a media center

computer janitoring is awful, the only joy i get is using my the cable tie gun i bought

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i need to digitise several audio cassette tapes, can anyone recommend a cheap dumb cassette player which i can jack into the line-in on my computer to record the audio?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Glorgnole posted:

what kind of robot do you want to build? that should help with thinking of stuff for it to do

do you want a mobile robot? one that flies or goes underwater?

do you want a stationary thing, like a big arm?

robots are cool and good and i wish you much luck

if i knew what kind of robot i wanted to build i would build it!!!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have all of the skills and resources to build a badass robot but none of the ideas.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
clearly the answer is one that shoots quadcopters

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bloody posted:

if i knew what kind of robot i wanted to build i would build it!!!

Build a robot that makes good posts

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Bloody posted:

i have all of the skills and resources to build a badass robot but none of the ideas.

build a robot that plays the theremin

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 381 days!
or the hurdy-gurdy

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
build a girlfriend

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
build a nockoff openROV and then sell it to me so i can explore whats left of austin's hosed up lakes without having to look up from a laptop screen ever

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

build a nockoff openROV and then sell it to me so i can explore whats left of austin's hosed up lakes without having to look up from a laptop screen ever

its more like pond travis now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
http://rodtronics.tumblr.com/post/115926535528/babels

quote:

so after watching this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJaI2bnaq9Q
I decided that making something similar or whatever is now what I want to do. I have some ideas of how I want to go about it - knowing nothing about AI or whatever*

I am going to use a non smart just random mutation -> test for simple advantage (how far did it get from start point) and use the best 5 or so as root genomes for the next generation.

*it would be cool to do with the built in AI state machine engine of UE4 but I don’t know about that

I find when I write things down I am answer my own questions and discover problems, this is a direct stream of consciousness of that. I will float in an out of menial detail. This is as much to me as is it to you

create a gene struct (a genome will be an array of these gene structs) this struct will have following variables.

a gene type - an enumeration, that desribes what this gene encodes for. so far I have thought of two types, one that describes the construction of a leg - use the following variables to describe length for example, or the attachment point, and another that describes a stage in the movements execution
probability of mutation - this is a way for the little babels create genomes that have the possible of protecting aspects of it’s genome that are successful and freely mutate those that are not. certain bacteria use systems like this to enhance evolutionary progress while maintaining stability
a group (maybe 3?) of floating point variables. their use will be determined by the gene type. perhaps vectors would be more appropriate here
any of the above variables is free for mutation, including the probability variable. these will be clamped at storage and mutated on reproduction
so at the beginning of it’s life it will “execute” it’s genome. this genome will a) construct the limbs and b) create it’s lifecycle loop. an instruction of “build leg” will build it. if the followiing instruction is a build leg it will add to it’s parent. then it would ideally see two or more “positions” of where it’s going to try to point. and for example the three variables could desribe say 1) the length of time spend at that position 2) the intended angle, and 3) I don’t know yet. I’ll have to work out a way to dampen down positions too far away from home so that stupid random positions aren’t common and maybe my third vector could contain something like this I don’t know.

When it comes across another build gene, it starts a new leg.

Then it executes it’s movement cycle.

after a time the manager will evaluate which ones have moved the furthest, destroy the rest and create a new set of mutations from those that are selected. ideally a babel could be maintained as just the existance of it’s genome and not the entire game object itself.

the mutation cycle will cycle through each gene, and based on the probability of mutation, then execute a mutation. some mutations might be simply changing one of the variables. or perhaps duplication, deletion, or movement too. then new babel object has that new genome.

in the past I flirted with diploid genomes for a thing like this but ultimately I’m not working on that level here gently caress that

will I even start making it. I want to.. I still struggle with feelings of pointlessness making experiments in game engine. welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i started doing it. kinda stupid as gently caress and harder than i thought it would be :/