Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Some Numbers posted:

Are you trying to convince me to rewatch Frontier?

Perchance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Some Numbers posted:

Are you trying to convince me to rewatch Frontier?

Covok posted:

Perchance.

Tell me you don't trust this smile:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Blaze Dragon posted:

Uhh, what? Did you even watch Frontier? Write off Takuya and Kouji and you don't have a series anymore. You can write off the other four and have no changes whatsoever, the series is horribly main/rival-focused, far more than any Digimon series before, to the point of making everyone else powerless to feed them.

Um.. No. If you write off Kouji you don't have a series anymore. Takuya, despite ostensibly being the main character, has no real personal connection to anything.

It's been like a decade since I've seen the show though so I could be forgetting stuff.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

readingatwork posted:

Um.. No. If you write off Kouji you don't have a series anymore. Takuya, despite ostensibly being the main character, has no real personal connection to anything.

It's been like a decade since I've seen the show though so I could be forgetting stuff.

You would.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:
I remember when I was a kid and I first watched Digimon Frontier I really liked it, it was Power Rangers and Digimon crammed together. I haven't watched it recently enough to know if I would still like it or not. Thinking back on it though I never liked how they replaced partner digimon entirely with the spirits and the two annoying Digimon that spout exposition and follow them everywhere. And yeah, I agree that making 4/6th's of the cast useless to focus the spotlight on the two main characters was a bad decision. Tamers and Savers did it right where they made it so everyone got a mega evolution.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I hated frontier because my favorite part about Digimon was always the relationship between the humans and their Digimon partners and Frontier got rid of the Digimon!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Which Digimon was it that had One Vision?

Because that's the best Digimon song.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The best part of Digimon to me will always be the vaguely cthulhu mythos-ish depiction of data and the internet. I'm not sure why they haven't just plain explicitly advertised it as a more kid-friendly version of the SMT series, instead of just getting an artist or two. Social Links with Digimon, Fusion systems to get new ones, that sorta thing. Probably clean up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dexie posted:

Tamers.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kurui Reiten posted:

The best part of Digimon to me will always be the vaguely cthulhu mythos-ish depiction of data and the internet. I'm not sure why they haven't just plain explicitly advertised it as a more kid-friendly version of the SMT series, instead of just getting an artist or two. Social Links with Digimon, Fusion systems to get new ones, that sorta thing. Probably clean up.

I think they have done the former in atleast one game and I distinctly remember DNA Digivolution basically being SMT fusion in the games.

Astro Nut posted:

Tell me you don't trust this smile:

I am only here to serve!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dexie posted:

I prefer Evo and With the Will.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Some Numbers posted:

I prefer Evo and With the Will.

Frontier hosed the landing real hard as soon as the Royal Knights showed up, but With The Will (and Hyper Spirit Evolution) are the best songs in all Digimon still.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Astro Nut posted:

This is one of the reasons why I bring up the bit when the previous villains get revived in kind of a spirit form, and that (briefly) manages to hold the Royal Knights off.

That, I feel, could have made for an interesting basis in getting 'strong enough' to face the Royal Knights. Not putting all their eggs in two baskets (seriously, why even do that if it won't matter much for the rest of the series), but trying to get an actually complete team together and fully prepared for the fight. Its a lot of missed potential.

The worst thing is that the ending confirms that this is exactly what they should've done. They face Lucemon as a team, because that's how Lucemon was fought in the past (but end it by fusing all together against Lucemon Satan Mode, still far better than Takuya/Kouji doing things alone...even though they can become Susanoomon on their own and did so against Lucemon Falldown Mode). They manage more against the Royal Knights as the Ten Warriors instead of as KaiserGreymon and MagnaGarurumon (even though the one time they finally win is as KGreymon and MGarurumon).

Hell, there were those four kids that were brought to the Digital World, the ones Angemon took care of. It's kind of obvious they were meant to become the Warriors of Water, Wood, Earth and Steel, yet instead they just get booted back to the Real World without any other comment. Having all Ten Warriors fight could've been cool, but instead, we had two, with four cheerleaders.

Quincytbb posted:

I remember when I was a kid and I first watched Digimon Frontier I really liked it, it was Power Rangers and Digimon crammed together. I haven't watched it recently enough to know if I would still like it or not. Thinking back on it though I never liked how they replaced partner digimon entirely with the spirits and the two annoying Digimon that spout exposition and follow them everywhere. And yeah, I agree that making 4/6th's of the cast useless to focus the spotlight on the two main characters was a bad decision. Tamers and Savers did it right where they made it so everyone got a mega evolution.

This is basically what it is. Frontier takes inspiration from Super Sentai and it shows, but at the same time does so in all the wrong ways. Having the humans transform and fight was not a bad idea, it gave more use to the humans that until that point had been mostly useless (apart from Tamers giving them Card Slashing duty, and even that didn't last), but at the same time it decided to just remove 4/6 of the cast. While Sentai has this issue at times...most of the time, it never outright depowers the cast to power up Red and Blue (except in Abaranger/Dino Thunder, and even that was temporary, unless I'm forgetting something)

Tamers and Savers did indeed do the right thing by sharing power equally. All Digimon series should do the same. Hopefully tri will add the other Megas to the series.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Isn't this literally Re:Digitize and Cyber Sleuth?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Frontier hosed the landing real hard as soon as the Royal Knights showed up, but With The Will (and Hyper Spirit Evolution) are the best songs in all Digimon still.

No mention of Fire? It's a really good opening. Probably my second favourite after Savers' Hirari. Frontier is awful but god it had great songs, even the endings have charm. Then again, bad series have good songs...Hunters is exactly the same. Tagiru Chikara is amazing but it is tied to a bad series and an even worse character.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hopefully tri will add the other Megas to the series.

Hopefully. I want to see HerculesKabuterimon so so bad.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

No mention of Fire? It's a really good opening. Probably my second favourite after Savers' Hirari. Frontier is awful but god it had great songs, even the endings have charm. Then again, bad series have good songs...Hunters is exactly the same. Tagiru Chikara is amazing but it is tied to a bad series and an even worse character.

Yeah, Fire is really good, but Butterfly is better.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They gave everyone megas (though you have to go out of your way for them) in the tie-in Adventure retelling game so it'd be kinda silly not to have them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

They gave everyone megas (though you have to go out of your way for them) in the tie-in Adventure retelling game so it'd be kinda silly not to have them.

I hope they think that way because it sucks when only two of the get to shine in the last arc.

This does introduce something: since it's going to be a shoot towards mega, what's next? Usually they aren't already almost at top tier at season start.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Something will happen towards the start to depower them so they can't go Mega right from the beginning.

Or they'll come up with some kind of new evolution method.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

I hope they think that way because it sucks when only two of the get to shine in the last arc.

This does introduce something: since it's going to be a shoot towards mega, what's next? Usually they aren't already almost at top tier at season start.

I have to call BS on this entirely because *ALL* of the Season 1 kids shone like Diamonds in the final arc. No one was more important than the others (except TK and MagnaAngemon)

It was really awesome how they kept the Ultimate level Digimon not only relevant, but super useful in the battles, and in the end against Piedmon the FIRST two to get chumped were the loving Mega Levels.

Angemon and all Angemon type of Digimon are just super broken in season 1, so Magna Angemon wrecked house. It kinda sucks that none of the others went Mega, but they really didn't have to.

The same cannot be said of Season 2 or 4.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Burkion posted:

I have to call BS on this entirely because *ALL* of the Season 1 kids shone like Diamonds in the final arc. No one was more important than the others (except TK and MagnaAngemon)

It was really awesome how they kept the Ultimate level Digimon not only relevant, but super useful in the battles, and in the end against Piedmon the FIRST two to get chumped were the loving Mega Levels.

Angemon and all Angemon type of Digimon are just super broken in season 1, so Magna Angemon wrecked house. It kinda sucks that none of the others went Mega, but they really didn't have to.

The same cannot be said of Season 2 or 4.

Yeah, you right. All of the season 4 poo poo kind of got me mixed up when it comes to memories.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dexie posted:

Something will happen towards the start to depower them so they can't go Mega right from the beginning.

Or they'll come up with some kind of new evolution method.

Depends on whether or not Our War Game and/or 02 is canon in Tri, because they both explicitly state that the kids scarified their crests to stabilize and firewall the portal between the Real and Digital Worlds before 02 started. Any time any of the older kids went higher than Champion after that it was all thanks to Plot Bullshit like Izzy's crazy botnet, the Dark Ocean, the Holy Stones, or one of Azulongmon's spare power cores.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hell, there were those four kids that were brought to the Digital World, the ones Angemon took care of. It's kind of obvious they were meant to become the Warriors of Water, Wood, Earth and Steel, yet instead they just get booted back to the Real World without any other comment. Having all Ten Warriors fight could've been cool, but instead, we had two, with four cheerleaders.

That was the biggest troll in Digimon franchise history, right there. Right down the main six lecturing them about them having no place in the Digital World because they can't defend themselves when four of them routinely willingly make themselves helpless for no good reason at all. It's like everyone involved on Frontier just went into don't give a gently caress mode once they got the word from FujiTV that there wasn't gonna be a fifth series (under their watch, anyway).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

Depends on whether or not Our War Game and/or 02 is canon in Tri, because they both explicitly state that the kids scarified their crests to stabilize and firewall the portal between the Real and Digital Worlds before 02 started. Any time any of the older kids went higher than Champion after that it was all thanks to Plot Bullshit like Izzy's crazy botnet, the Dark Ocean, the Holy Stones, or one of Azulongmon's spare power cores.

Forgive me if I missed something from not seeing the Japanese version, but in Our War Games, couldn't the Digimon digivolve like normal?

It seemed to be presented like the end of Season 1- The Digital World was cut off from the real world due to dimension bullshit, but the Kids could still Digivolve their Digimon because the crests were literally bullshit.

I mean Tai and Matt went Mega without assistance.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I could've sworn that the end of Adventure revealed that the real crests were their hearts the whole time.

e: I haven't seen 02 since it was on TV though so I guess I could be missing something?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

mikeycp posted:

I could've sworn that the end of Adventure revealed that the real crests were their hearts the whole time.

e: I haven't seen 02 since it was on TV though so I guess I could be missing something?

No, that's correct. Apocalymon destroys the physical Crests, so they have to power the evolutions manually.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mikeycp posted:

You got it on the money.

The crests were just placebos because the real power was inside of them. Which is why each of their elements were perfectly tailored to them.

Season 2 makes ZERO sense with what they explained. According to season 2, Tai gave up his courage, Matt gave up his friendship, Joe gave up his sincerity, Mimi her purity, and so on and so forth. Yet, for some strange reason, they seemed to still be in possession of those traits!

DESPITE season 1 showing what would happen if they DID lose their traits in a similar way! Remember Izzy? His Knowledge/Curiosity got taken from him, and he became a block of wood.

Season 2 sucks.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mikeycp posted:

It's probably one of 02's famous continuity/don't give a gently caress errors. Because there's a flashback that explicitly shows the kids give up if not their crests, then definitely their powers at some point after Adventure, but before 02.

This is why 02 needs to be de-canonized :ssh:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I would love for 02 to be completely ignored.

Covok
May 27, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

It's probably one of 02's famous continuity/don't give a gently caress errors. Because there's a flashback that explicitly shows the kids give up if not their crests, then definitely their powers at some point after Adventure, but before 02.

This is why 02 needs to be de-canonized :ssh:

Nothing of value would be lost except for, maybe, jogress evolution, but I think that exists elsewhere.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The most amazing thing about Frontier to me is that the last episode I saw was the one in which Lucemon appears and the two leads use the power of all the spirits to get the two big megas. I had assumed for years was the second or third to last episode before the climax. Then I learned there was a dozen episode story arc following it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dr Pepper posted:

The most amazing thing about Frontier to me is that the last episode I saw was the one in which Lucemon appears and the two leads use the power of all the spirits to get the two big megas. I had assumed for years was the second or third to last episode before the climax. Then I learned there was a dozen episode story arc following it.

It severely needed to be cut down. What bugged me is, if you're going to in the final fight have all the kids fuse together... which not just do that when everyone goes into Kaiser Greymon and the like? Then at least, even if there's only two megas, you can bullshit away that it's three kids regulating the mons power like a sentai mecha!

Burkion posted:

You got it on the money.

The crests were just placebos because the real power was inside of them. Which is why each of their elements were perfectly tailored to them.

Season 2 makes ZERO sense with what they explained. According to season 2, Tai gave up his courage, Matt gave up his friendship, Joe gave up his sincerity, Mimi her purity, and so on and so forth. Yet, for some strange reason, they seemed to still be in possession of those traits!

DESPITE season 1 showing what would happen if they DID lose their traits in a similar way! Remember Izzy? His Knowledge/Curiosity got taken from him, and he became a block of wood.

Season 2 sucks.

Truer words were never spoken. gently caress 02. It ended at Children's War Game and 02 was an alt-timeline. Tri is the other alt-time line.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Could Tri be the Battle of Gods to Digimon Season 2, Digimon's "GT"?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Covok posted:

I loving hope so because where do you go from Season 2? That ended pretty loving defintively to say "And there is no more story, everyone has digimon" And I know we've seen basically nothing to hint at plot but it feels like this show is either going to be a slice of life or ignore 02.

I'm hoping for the latter.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Covok posted:

That would be the smart thing to do. So no.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The few things they've said of Tri includes that "everyone has a digimon now, here's a story"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The few things they've said of Tri includes that "everyone has a digimon now, here's a story"

Okay, part me of honestly wants Tri to be a one-episode clusterfuck that takes "everyone has a Digimon now" to its logical conclusion and ends with civilization-destroying mass chaos because there are now 7.7 billion creatures of mass destruction roaming the planet and a sizable percentage of them lie in the hands of the criminally insane and dangerously incompetent.

Just 21 minutes of screaming and explosions capped off by a peppy reprise of Butterfly. Digimon! It's a fun filled children's adventure show :buddy:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

That or two hours worth of episodes just having Tai and some random politicians having a meeting with Digimons to discuss terms for both planets to coexist in peace. The Digimons being huge godly megas with business suits duct taped on their bodies and the politicians having scraps of metal and knives strapped on their bodies so both cultures can meet eye to eye.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Want to re watch tamers, but haven't seen it since my childhood (English and Spanish). My question is what dub should I listen to? Japanese or English

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Believer kicks them all out of the water, though. With The Will is a decent second place.

Dr Pepper posted:

The most amazing thing about Frontier to me is that the last episode I saw was the one in which Lucemon appears and the two leads use the power of all the spirits to get the two big megas. I had assumed for years was the second or third last episode before the climax. Then I learned there was a dozen episode story arc following it.

Wait wait wait, you mean that wasn't the second last episode?

Maybe that other dude isn't the only one who should rewatch Frontier...

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Want to re watch tamers, but haven't seen it since my childhood (English and Spanish). My question is what dub should I listen to? Japanese or English

EDIT: The English dub of Tamers is actually pretty good from what I remember, though you do lose out on SLASH! as the battle theme.

Classy Hydra fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 9, 2015

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Japanese. As far as the dubs go Tamers' isn't bad. It has a great cast and has some moments that are as well done as the original, but the original is the best experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Onmi posted:

Truer words were never spoken. gently caress 02. It ended at Children's War Game and 02 was an alt-timeline. Tri is the other alt-time line.

What was up with Children's War Game's animation? It was very different, in a good way. Looked expensive to make.