Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sherry

Jules is right, but Konnie is even more right, and Sherry's annoyance turns inward.

"Yes. There's a reason people haven't caught on that people who can do things exist, and it isn't because everyone is sneaky and clever, or because creepy government offices steal people out of their beds."

The blonde gestures to the site of the 'accident'. "This is clever. It's a classic grift, but it suffers the problem all of them do: The more people you get, the more likely two of them are going to get together, and that snowballs. It's worse if one sees you the next day, without a scratch. Not because they'll notice you, or your gift, but because... it's weird. Weirder than having a conversation like this."

"Honestly? If I could screw with people's heads, or bounce back from bouncing off their windshields, I probably would have. Not a lot of options when you get turfed at sixteen. I'm not sure what happened was safer than it might have been."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
"Yeah, and you know what? Your life was worse than mine. And there was some girl in Africa or Eastern Europe or wherever, who cares, whose life was worse than yours. And mine. But you lose all hopes of happiness when you start comparing yourself to other people. Somebody always has it better. For example, you're on tour with your band. And you're lecturing me?"

As Sandy hears the rest of the lecture, there are a couple of places she feels the urge to jump in. Professionals?!? But only the vaguest emotions play across her face. Despite her incredulity at Konnie calling herself a Sheriff, she definitely shuts up like someone being given a talking to by the cops. Until the lecture is over, at least.

"Neither of you ever had money." She says flatly, to Konnie and Sherry, pushing Konnie's hand off her shoulder, "So to put yourselves in the shoes of my marks is as arrogant as all the whatever you accused me of. Otherwise you'd know why your assumption that these people would start talking is totally false. You know why that is? It's shame. These are rich entitled kids who have always had an easy way out, who have never admitted to anything in their lives that didn't benefit them. And in your minds they're going to sit down at a bar and admit to hitting a defenseless girl while they were drunk and then paying her off? They're going to cop to that over Pizza and Call of Duty? And they're going to put together that it was the same girl despite the fact that things like wigs and hair dye and makeup exist?" She puts her hands up and laughs, but nods to Meg, "this one knows."

"But by all means, educate me. Tell me the ways of the world. Buy me some pizza and give me a ride home while you're at it."

xian fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 9, 2015

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Eliza

“You know, it’s funny,” Eliza mutters, a small sizzling escaping her voice, as if her sleep deprived crankiness is starting to get the better of her fire talent, and her tongue is starting to hiss like a hot griddle frying bacon fat, “But you’re wrong. When I look at all the people around the world, it inspires me. It fills me with hope to see so much opportunity in this mortal world.” Rather suddenly, her bat wings snap open, lifting her a few inches off the ground with a single, floating flap.

“Just being able to drink tasty tea at a cozy coffee shop, sample tunes at a music-snob hole-in-the-wall record shop, to enjoy a sunshine day, each is a crystal clear fragment of happiness. Not a day goes by that I don’t relish the moments of joy this world offers,” she shrugs carelessly, “Sure, some people have it worse than others, and some have it better, and for some it’s seriously harsh, but most people have a –chance- at some kind of happiness, however humble, however fleeting.” Her tail, lithe and arrow-tipped, lashes free and she drifts up in the air to loom at Sandy as if the imp is six and a half feet tall, “It could always be a Hell of a lot worse. Literally. Look me in the eye if you think I haven’t seen it!” her gaze blazes with concentric rings of fire like a crazed cartoon character.

She lifts her finger and draws a circle of fire in the air, giving it a smiley face and little tiny devil horns, “You can write it off as some My Little Pony bullshit; and I know you want to do, but it burns me up when you humans waste your wonderful too-brief life-spans thinking the world owes you a living,” she waves her hand to smash the circle into sparks and indicate Sherry and Konnie, the sparks landing at their feet, “These people are trying to help you! There’s always a piper to pay, and whether it’s the Sheriffs, some rear end in a top hat rich kid psycho who puts two and two together and dumps your body in a river, or the thrice-damned Shadows who hold the status quo by tearing magic people apart, it all ends the same. Regrets.”

“Personally, I’m never going back to Hell, so I don’t care if you end up there.” She says, landing carelessly, and stretching all the kinks out, “But Sherry and Konnie seem to think it’s a good idea to help people who don’t know what the gently caress, and they’re my empathy coaches, so I’d listen to them. I’m going back to bed. Someone tell me how it turns out.”

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

Konnie kinda wants to sock Sandy the Starfish in the face.

Like, real bad.

But Eliza pipes up first, so Konnie the Rusalka hovers back a little to see if cooler heads than hers prevail. She knew she was a bit of a punchy drunk, so if somebody managed to get through to Sandy the Starfish first; great!

If not, Konnie was totally going to punch the bitch in the face.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sherry

A little booze, a little bravado...

Dear, you're the one who's...

Sherry's beginning to suspect the Dark's evolutionary function, if not its genesis.

In light of her duties as empathy coach, she remains silent. There's only so much you can say to a self-made statistic, and her own well is starting to hit dry clay.

Edit: Got my hands full with a hardware thing right now, but going to make a relenting post ASAP.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 9, 2015

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sherry

Or not.

"Yeah, but guilt is corrosive. You get a few of those chuckleheads together somewhere they feel safe, the beer starts flowing, and the damnedest things start falling out of their mouths. Or the guy at the body shop reports the damage to the cops. The bank reports suspicious activity on one of those PINs Broseph forked over. Cops might get involved, more likely a PI. Daddy's lawyers will keep Junior out of jail."

"Meanwhile, people hear thuds, squealing tires and shouting, because it can be hard to sleep when people are partying. Someone happens to have their phone when they're peeking out the window. Say it happens a fraction of the time. Cops are still going to be curious after the second or third time, though they'll probably just crack down on the drunks."

"What I'm leading to is a lot simpler and scarier: people hate a show-off. Some guy starts flying around downtown? People are going to rationalize it, maybe it's a special effect, maybe they imagined it, but subconsciously they'll be shouting 'that's impossible!' If enough people see it, something wakes up, something that will do its best to kill him... and even if he's the second coming of Superman, it will probably do it. We found that out the hard way."

"You don't need any scared straight poo poo, and I really don't give a drat about the richlings you've been ambushing --though seriously, careful with your fella-- but it sounds like you've pulled this often enough that getting caught could bring the boogeyman down on your head."

"I know it sounds ridiculous. Take it as you will."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

Konnie waits until she hears Sandy the Starfishes reply to what sage Eliza and wise Sherry had to say, before deciding to unleash her fists of fury or not.

taking 5 foot step, readying standard action to punch sandy in the face

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Sandy isn't oblivious to the fire in Eliza's voice, and softens her tone, as compared to when she's talking to Konnie, accordingly, "No," Sandy says, looking at her tail, "I think you've seen... something. That's for sure." Sandy does look a little hesitant when Eliza mentions shadows and being torn apart.

"World doesn't owe me anything, but why shouldn't I take it from these guys? World doesn't owe them anything either..." And more-so when Sherry re-iterates it.

"You're saying there's some supernatural thing watching over me and if I step out it's going to get me?"

"So... how about that Pizza?" Sandy says, hopeful. Way less aggressive than the last time she asked the question, "You drive, I'll buy. You guys are the experts, maybe we can brainstorm a better thing for me to do? Some way to use my powers that won't get me thrown through the supernatural paper shredder? I can handle the college boys." She says confidently, but the next part much less so, "I don't know anything about the boogey men, though."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"World's s'not loving fair." Konnie says, forming back into her solid self. "Fight back and get your teeth kicked in, or try and live with it and eat poo poo for the rest of your life. Sucks either way." Konnie staggers over and slams her fist into the hood of the Frogger. "Jules!! Pizza place!! Now!!" She demands, flopping back into the van.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

"PIZZA!" Meg declares. "Julesy! To the pizzarium!" she declares, jumping up into the shotgun seat. "I need /soooooooooooooo/ many carbs! It'll be awesome!" As they get under way, Meg twists in the seat and looks over it at Sandy, rather lolcat like. "Hey Starfish," she syas, "You're our first following groupie!" Meg makes a face. "Can a groupie ride with us or does she need her own car or something?"

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Eliza

"Call it Zeitgeist, call it Tulpa..." Eliza begins, in a sleepy almost singsong voice, shrugging with her back turned to Sandy. She spins around and waggles an index finger in the air in the Starfish lady's general direction, "I believe the working theory is that everyone is a liiitle bit psychic," she makes the teensy-weensy gesture between thumb and forefinger, "Individually, when someone sees something they know can't be real but is, the offense to their worldview... doesn't really amount to anything," she shows her open palms and a tiny flicker of flame blinks and vanishes, "A spark."

"But!" the imp stabs a finger at the air, and a ball of fire gathers there, "Enough people all become offended all at once, the Offense itself becomes a psychic entity whose Sole Guiding Principle is the certainty that You. Must. Not. Exist."

The bundle of fire manifests a pair of angry eyes out of negative space, before the whole thing burns out.

Eliza wears a wicked grin upon that statement, as if she is a gleeful child telling the conclusion of a thrilling ghost story. She pauses, and looks apologetic, "Oh, um, by the way, 'Zeitgeist' means 'the spirit of the times,' like the soul of collective human opinion, manifestation of the overall beliefs of the current culture; and the 'Tulpa' is a being created from pure mental focus, condensing into a living thoughtform. Like a creature made of psychic energy." rattling on like a teacher who forgot to explain the basics to a student.

She goes to clamber into the back of the van, "Hop in," she chirps, "It's comfy and cozy in the back! I like garlic and hot peppers on my pizza; what do you favor? Pineapple is great too!"

Drakli fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 23, 2015

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

Konnie lazily points at Eliza. "Listen to the succubus. She knows this poo poo." She sagely advises Little Miss Starfish. "This powers stuff sucks." She adds her own, equally sage wisdom to what has been said. Then she kicks the back of the driver's chair. "Jules!! loving go already! You're making us look bad in front of the starfish!! Jesus!"

"Pineapple?" She looks at Eliza like she was from out of space. "Did you ever actually eat real fucken' pizza back in New York?" She puts to the demon. "Or is this some evil loving sin punishment pizza you had to make in Hell? Seriously." She shakes her head. Pineapple on a pizza. Bitch was crazy. "Zapiekanka." She answers all the same. "Cheese an' mushroom. Lots of 'em. Best thing ever."

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Eliza

Eliza has already curled up into a little bundle under a black-and-white checkerboard blankie, clutching her doll and at least pretending to doze.

"Succubus?" she opens one eye and rolls it toward the band leader, "Konnie, honey, you're being sexist again."

She goes on to add, "You're only saying powers suck because you think you're normal. Wheras I, being a demon from the netherworld, have no such illusions, and therefore know that powers are great! If it weren't for humans with powers, I'd be downstairs in a lava-pit sticking pitchforks in stupids instead of helping you lot rock the gently caress out."

"Also, pineapples are great, pizza is great. Great plus great equals double great. I don't get what part of the equation you don't understand."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"Can't be sexist, you're an evil demon. God said so. Just bein' a good Catholic an' that." Konnie yawns her rebuttal.

"Yeah, we can't really rock out." Konnie points out, sitting up a bit. "If we get too famous for anything then the whole 'everybody in this band has powers here' thing will totally get out and then we're fully hosed six ways from Sunday. So that's the one job I was ever actually good at hosed forever. Oh, and Nat broke up with me cuz she was freaked the gently caress out about it. And I can probably never tell my family about it ever? So just take that pitchfork and ram it up your twat." She grumbles, hunching back down.

"And you don't know pizza for poo poo." Konnie looks to Sherry. "Don't let her order anything ever."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Jules

Jules pokes his head up when Konnie shouts at him. "Hey! I was just making sure we didn't have any visible damage or whatever, so, calm down for a second." He clambers into the driver seat, gives Meg in the shotgun seat a little slug on the arm, and gets ready to get on track for the... pizza place? Well, okay, sure.

But there's one burning question in Jules' mind after all this.

"Who the hell really puts pineapple on pizza?" he asks, shooting a rather concerned look back at Eliza. "And powers are pretty cool, let's be completely honest. Even with everything that's happened, I don't think I'd change anything. Like, if I absorbed someone's time travel power. It could happen!"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"The only person on the face of the planet who'd notice any more damage on this rust bucket is Pete." Konnie loudly proclaims. "And my brother's off selling fucken' Smarties® in Belgium or some poo poo. So we're good."

Come on, even Jules knew pineapple didn't belong on pizza. Even Jules knew. Eliza seriously needed to get with the picture already. "You got bullshit magic 'I got every power' power, of course you'd like it." Konnie astutely points out.

MagickFrog brought to you by Nestlé.

Nestlé. Good food, good life.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

"Hawaiians," Meg says, "That's why it's called 'Hawaiian Pizza'." Meg considers that a second, "Can we get pineapples? I want pineapple now. gently caress all you all, I'm getting hawaiian pizza."

"'Liza, don't set the frogger on fire. I don't want to get stranded out here."

Pineapple in Hawaii is SOOO fresh and good, guys! For real.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sherry

So. Are we all happy, or at least all worn down by the arguing? Sherry realizes that she is, as she looks around at the others.

"Pizza sounds good," she nods, avoiding the topic of toppings for fear of fueling another argument, and silently hoping that things actually do work out from here.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
"This sounded really gnarly." Sandy says as she takes another bite of Hawaiian Pizza, "And it is, but in a good way!" Her other slice, a BBQ Chicken Pizza, sat on the a paper plate, slowly turning it translucent. The group sits around a round cement picnic table in a small yard grassy area to the side of the parking lot. They could have sat inside, but it's a nice night. And being outside made it easier to see who might be listening to the conversation.

"So how do I do it?" Another bite, now she's folding the crust while gesturing with it, "I'm saying, what I can do is mine. Gift, talent, power, it belongs to me. Not some... Tulpa, some shadow man who wants to take it because I've been..." she glances around the parking lot, lowers her voice "relieving these rich daddys boys of their bank balances. I don't want to be some cop or ambassador or whatever you guys are, I just want to live in peace. Preferably near a beach. Or on a mountain. I don't know how to ski or surf but always planned on picking one of the two up." She shrugs, then takes a bite of the folded crust.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

She just has to shake her head at those sacrilegious pineapple eaters. Really, why don't you just pour orange juice over the loving pizza and ruin it for good. Savages. Konnie, on the other hand, was eating whatever vague approximation to a cheese and mushroom pizza this lovely chain place could put up. It was only the fact that she was starting to go from 'drunk' to 'hungover' that it was even considered edible. All the same, she was about half a pie in at this point.

"An' that money you scammed out of those drunk assholes is theirs." Konnie, as astutely as ever, points out. "What you were doing is up and down illegal, that's the problem here. If you want to be in peace you can't be breaking the law, it's going to get you all sorts of bad attention." Konnie drops another crust on the table. "What th' hell you do anyway, Starfish?"

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
"It was theirs, and then I convinced them to give it to me." Sandy says, "But yeah, I get it. I can take a punch...and more, and I can be pretty convincing given the right circumstances--to normals, at least." Jules does sense some telepathy, but if he's a rock band's light show, then she's a nightlight.

"I don't know what else. Never tried. Never really tested it or questioned it once I figured out that hustle. Getting shot just to see if I can doesn't seem like the best idea. Neither does cutting myself open or falling from a great height."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"Okay, so you faked a hit an' run then mind controlled them into giving you money. None of that is good." Konnie, as blunt as ever, tells the Starfish. "Just FYI."

Konnie sighs, resting her head in her hands. "Zif I didn't have a big enough headache already." She sighs, looking at Sandy again with her Frogeyes. "Anglerfish sucker fishes in with bright lights then eat 'em. So that's probably your 'pretty convincing' stuff." Kon reasons. "And you're tough? Starfish are pretty rock hard. They also grow back their arms if they get bit off." Her eyes fade back to their normal piercing blue. "So in my professional opinion you might be able to regenerate wounds too. Try biting your lip and see if it heals fast." She suggests. Despite outward appearances, Konnie was in fact a loving professional.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
"You say tomato..." She says airily. But despite what she says, she's still sitting there, listening.

"Oh, yeah, stuff like that. Sure. I didn't say I haven't gotten...well...done things that wouldn't have gotten me hurt, just that I haven't intentionally done anything drastic. Don't that much pain, either, which is one of the reasons I'm not pushing things. It's one thing if my body is like 'oh no this is hosed' then 'oh, no, wait, we're good.' Way different if my body is like 'we're all good' but I'm losing blood like a kiddie pool with a hole in it."

Sandy looks around, makes sure that they're the only ones paying attention. She finishes her crust, makes a fist, then slams it down on the table, resulting in a thud and a sound of twigs snapping that nobody wants their hand (or any other bodypart) to make. The pinky isn't looking good, bent in a way it shouldn't be. "See, if I burnt my mouth on hot pizza, it would hurt more than that does now." She picks up her BBQ Chicken slice with her good hand. "I feel like a magician right now. Nothing up my sleeves..."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"Really should have punched you in the face back on the street…" Konnie mutters to herself.

"And trying to headbutt a fender counts as… 'oh, no, wait, we're good'?" She has to ask, not really getting the grading of pain here. And then the starfish goes and punches the table. "I said bite your lip, not break your hand you crazy bitch." Kon sighs, shaking her head. "Here." Using her amazing powers over water, Konnie tips out some of her Perrier* onto her hands. And as soon as the water touched her hands, it froze solid. She puts the ice on Starfish's now totally hosed looking hand. Seriously, that thing was fuuucked.

"Listen, if you really just want to be left alone? Take that money you have, gently caress off down to some beach in Florida, use that mind control stuff to get a real good deal on renting a beach house and then get a real job and forget you ever had powers. Simple enough." If she just wanted peace and quiet. Which Kon suspected she secretly didn't.

*Perrier sparkling mineral water, a proud product of Nestlé.

Nestlé. Good food, good life.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

"Like you've never done anything like that, Kon," Meg says, as she busily starts scarfing down her second slice of hawaiian. "I'm not saying it's cool, just...." Meg shrugs. "I get how it happens," she says. Meg looks over towards Sandy, then startles and winces as she demos injuring her hand. "Crap!" Meg blurts. She edges towards Jules and gives him a look, with a faintly raised eyebrow. "I dunno," Meg muses, "Costs money to sit on a beach."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sherry

Sherry shakes her head. "Nuh-uh. I'll bitch and guilt people into going straight and narrow, because I've seen things get real in a flash, but that's where I draw the line. Becoming a vigilante or an... ambassador's a personal decision."

Mmm, delicious Hawai'ian pizza. Sherry digs into hers, meditating on its hammy goodness, until their guest does that trick with her hand. For a moment, swallowing gets 'up' and 'down' confused.

"Jesus," she mutters, glancing away and wincing. "Mountains. Recover quick if you take a spill, and you don't need to worry about finding out if you can drown."

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Eliza

"The shadow guys won't take your power so much as take you apart, but yeah."

"Problem with drowning is," Eliza says, unfazed by Sandy's gruesome display, although the loud noise did startle her sleepy mind slightly, "even if you can come back to life after drowning, you're still underwater and might could drown again. And again. And again until you get to shore."

She looks lazily at Sandy's badly bent pinky. The imp has seen worse, "Hey, Konnie, think you could do that by turning into water or fog after you got hurt and reforming your finger back in the right shape again? Water is nothing if not protean."

She squeezes a bit of tobasco sauce over her slices of Hawaiian pizza. Spicy pineapple! Yum!

"I wish I could give more advice on how to find the good life, but I'm already living my dream."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"Huh?" Konnie was distracted by the demon dunking her pizza in tabasco sauce. Really, what the gently caress was wrong with her. Konnie really should have punched her in the face back on the street… "Oh. I practised that a little with the Sheriffs. I need to spend, like, a whole day as just as mist in a river. But it helps fix stuff a little bit, yeah." She takes a bite. "Also, if I get the poo poo kicked out of me and pass out or something I just sort of… dissolve. I think I'm actually water now and I'm just wearing a Konnie skin suit…"

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Sandy doesn't really look like she's in pain while Konnie is ministering her hand, and doesn't flinch from the cold of the ice. "Mountains might be it."

"So can you look like other people?" Sandy asks Konnie, "You know, just change the suit?"

Sandy smiles, "But, mountains, I'm still... nowhere near where I want to be. But... Oh, here we go."

She shrugs off the ice, and holds her hand up. Her finger is straightening gradually yet quickly. It looks like the accelerated time portions of Planet Earth videos, where a flower grows from the dirt to full bloom in a matter of seconds.

"Takes a few minutes to kick in, the superficial stuff goes first, feels like it'll be back to normal in a half hour or so. Lots of little bones and nerves and stuff in there. Sometimes I feel the stuff sliding back into place more than the initial... bump."

Lost in the focus on her hand, nobody until now noticed that there's a small crack in the concrete picnic table where she slammed her hand into it.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"hosed if I know." Konnie shrugs at Sandy the Starfish. "Maybe. Haven't really tried. Kinda don't wanna in case I gently caress it up. But it's not something a classic Rusalka can do, I don't think. But maybe I gotta jump down your throat and wear you before I can do anything like that." She shrugs again. "Who knows! Powers are loving terrible and weird so odds are that'll probably be it." And as if on cue that broke hand starts to fix itself up. "And there's the starfish." Konnie points out, wincing away from it. loving gross.

"Hey, Starfish, kinda broke the table there." Kon points out, nodding at the crack in the concrete. "So super strength too. Yeah, you definitely need to cut the hit and run poo poo off before you accidentally kill somebody."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
"I guess. That's a pretty small crack though. And it's not like I could lift this table up." She tries to pull the table with her good hand. It doesn't budge. "See?"

xian fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 2, 2015

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"It's only a small crack in loving solid concrete." Konnie feels she should point out once again, finishing a slice of pizza. "Oh! I think I learnt this in school. Building muscle is just tearing it and then it heals again, right?" She looks around to see if her not quite all the way through high school education was right or not. "With your healing thing, you could totally be stronger than you think you are and you wouldn't even know it."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

Meg knew she liked Sherry and Eliza. They don't have Konnie's horrible taste in pizza. "Mmmmyeah," Meg agrees. "Like, the more you use the power, you'll definitely beef up. I think I'm faster than I was before. You just need to like, pump super-weights. You know, metaphorically."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
"I guess I could test that out. Hit the gym. Still, that doesn't mean I'm the Terminator. There's plenty of other things it could be. Maybe I'm just really dense? Like, denser than concrete. So even though I'm not strong, I can still break it."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"You'd have to be pretty dense to go jumping out in front of cars." Konnie agrees, completely deadpan.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
"I know, right?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

"But then you'd weigh, like, tons. I mean you're pretty normal size. So if you were dense..." Meg says. During her entire sentence, she's busy picking pieces of pineapple off the top of a slice of pizza.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Eliza

Eliza blinks and oooos, grinning so wide that she seems almost like a cat from Cheshire again, "That'd be awesome!" she chirps, enthusiastically, "You should totally hit the gym and see how well you can pump up! If it works, I'll envy the hell out of you. I bet the world is your oyster when you're tough as nails, can pick up motorcycles, and no pickle jar dares stand in your way!"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

The keg you could understand, at least. Natty light is basically nothing but water, and Konnie was basically nothing but water. That made some kind of sense. But that whole mushroom and cheese pie (sans crusts) that she just ate her way through? Now that was a mystery for the ages if there ever was one.

"Sandy the Starfish." Konnie says over the lull, closing the lid on her crust filled pizza box. "Just what do you want our help with? Cuz' we're totally here to help. S'our job. Or my job at least." Konnie was the only one with those Sheriff business cards after all. "You can't keep headbutting SUV's, I think we covered that. But what do you want? Like, help training your powers? Getting to know everything you can do an' that? Or just loving off out of this town to somewhere you can chill? What's going to happen?" Konnie, the great communicator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Jules

Did someone say Chicken BBQ pizza? Because that's what Jules heard, that's what he found, and that's what he's been busy eating. After a moment, he realises Meg is looking at him, eyebrows raised, and just kind of stares back at her for a second. "What?" he asks, slowly, "Do I have something on my face?" He dabs at his chin with a napkin. Then he blinks and seems to break out of his pizza-induced coma. "Wait, so, Konnie, are you saying that it's fine for me and Meg to just mind-power our way into a beach house?" He shares a look with Meg, grins. "Because that sure sounded like it."

As awesome as Meg is, he still can't understand just why she puts pineapple on pizza. Sherry, too. Savages. It might be the only thing he and Konnie ever agree on. Even the tabasco sauce makes more sense!

• Locked thread