Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Locator posted:

It's really quite clear cut, unless you hand them dash cam footage of you being stupid and going "Yee-haw" as you accelerated into him, he turned left in front of oncoming traffic. He is fully at fault here in AZ. It wouldn't even be a question as he failed to yield to oncoming traffic. If it's illegal to make a u-turn there based on the laws where you are with that pavement marking, then that makes it even more clear cut.

Also, it's nice how after doing that he couldn't even figure out what lane he actually wanted to be in and ended up in the gore point.

Its illegal but failing to keep a lookout can net you some share of the liability anywhere in the country. Not the case here since he avoided the accident but industry wide the shared liability percentage is on the rise as insurance companies look to be more cost effective to offer better rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bovril Delight posted:

Its illegal but failing to keep a lookout can net you some share of the liability anywhere in the country. Not the case here since he avoided the accident but industry wide the shared liability percentage is on the rise as insurance companies look to be more cost effective to offer better rates.

This might be true, but like I said - unless they have clear evidence that the guy didn't make an attempt to avoid that dude, it would be a pretty clear cut failure to yield, placing the fault clearly on the U-turn guy. Pretend there is no video at all, the cops show up to the wreck and find short evidence of braking prior to the impact. Given that 99.9% of the time no witness will stick around, it's pretty easy to place the blame on U-turn guy if it's between the word of the two drivers.

"That idiot didn't try to avoid hitting me when I made that illegal U-turn right in front of him." vs. "He made an unexpected U-turn right in front of me and I tried my best to stop before I smashed into him"

Seems pretty open and shut to me (again, barring video evidence from inside the car of him clearly not making an attempt to avoid).

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The good news is, in the US at least, most idiots that pull that crap are going to admit to having done something dumb that got them hit.

Most people in the US don't understand the whole "never admit fault, ever, even if you are at fault".

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any HEVC H.265 dashcams yet?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Zero VGS posted:

Are there any HEVC H.265 dashcams yet?

Isn't HEVC incredibly compute-intensive to encode? I doubt there are any dashcams with the balls to do that in realtime.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

Isn't HEVC incredibly compute-intensive to encode? I doubt there are any dashcams with the balls to do that in realtime.

Somebody just needs to code up a fpga to do the work.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

xzzy posted:

ABS is used a lot more in areas that get real winters. Given how heavy vehicles have become and the fact almost no one runs winter tires, if there's any snow on the road it doesn't take much at all for ABS to start doing its thing.

Now whether it helps anyone stop in that case I can't say, if your tires are completely unsuitable for conditions there's not much ABS is going to be able to do except maybe shave off a few percent of your speed before you destroy someone's rear end.

I had an incident last week where I crested a hill on a three lane highway doing 120km/h and about 250m ahead of me was a wall of stopped traffic. I hate the gently caress out of the traction control system in my Audi in lower speed snow driving but holy poo poo did it pay its dues that day.

The road was covered in patches of black ice, which is why traffic was stopped, and while I was deciding whether to steer towards the ditch or hit the tractor trailer my car applied some black magic combination of ABS and independent wheel braking that resulted in a huge tank slapper but no spinning. I stopped shockingly fast.

Granted I had winter tires because I previously owned a RWD car and that just beats the concept of seasonal tires into you.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

8ender posted:

I had an incident last week where I crested a hill on a three lane highway doing 120km/h and about 250m ahead of me was a wall of stopped traffic. I hate the gently caress out of the traction control system in my Audi in lower speed snow driving but holy poo poo did it pay its dues that day.

The road was covered in patches of black ice, which is why traffic was stopped, and while I was deciding whether to steer towards the ditch or hit the tractor trailer my car applied some black magic combination of ABS and independent wheel braking that resulted in a huge tank slapper but no spinning. I stopped shockingly fast.

Granted I had winter tires because I previously owned a RWD car and that just beats the concept of seasonal tires into you.

Obligatory: why were you going ~75mph up a blind hill in black ice weather?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
How else was he going to catch air?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Audi driver, figures.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Because the 401 in Ontario is a magical place where dry pavement turns to ice in less than a kilometre and then you're in a whiteout and then that whiteout clears up to ice rain and suddenly its a nice sunny day except the pavement is hard pack snow and an old guy in a Saab just lost it and he's tumbling into the ditch but no one cares. The trucks won't slow down though, no they never slow gotta get that load there on time gently caress you cars i'm taking all three lanes with this drift walmart needs these loving bags of dogfood.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

8ender posted:

Because the 401 in Ontario is a magical place where dry pavement turns to ice in less than a kilometre and then you're in a whiteout and then that whiteout clears up to ice rain and suddenly its a nice sunny day except the pavement is hard pack snow and an old guy in a Saab just lost it and he's tumbling into the ditch but no one cares. The trucks won't slow down though, no they never slow gotta get that load there on time gently caress you cars i'm taking all three lanes with this drift walmart needs these loving bags of dogfood.

The Whiteout is also salt from the trucks. That don't plow. They just drive and dump salt. I really need to take a picture of the engine compartment on our two-winter-old-car. It looks horrible :(

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

8ender posted:

Sounds like a winter wonderland.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Here's one to revive this semi-dead thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=molbgVu54jg

(Audio changed due to copyrighted music. Also swearing. Youtube's ad-free music options are hilarious.)

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Here's one to revive this semi-dead thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=molbgVu54jg

(Audio changed due to copyrighted music. Also swearing. Youtube's ad-free music options are hilarious.)

:stare: I see this way too often on Zealand, but almost never while in Jutland. At least the music made this pretty funny.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Caught a really cool looking car on the dashcam today: (Overcast day, but, it was a brilliant red and in great shape)

One of these things. Apparently there were only 509 of these made, so, was pretty neat seeing one in person.

superscumbag
Oct 25, 2012
Almost died. I hate driving at night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31afJnPHT9w

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

For those that don't follow, the Mini 0803 has a nice firmware upgrade that adds the option to display GPS speed overlay in the video feed along with date and time, and Co-ordinates too I think.

You can also set the speed stamp to blank-out after a certain speed to protect your innocence should you decide to break the speed limit.

Also this looks like a great design - a mini DVR almost in that the cameras are remote, miniaturized and the control unit can be remotely mounted. The quality isnt quite up to par with the likes of the Mini 080x range but still pretty good if you definitely had to have a twin camera setup. pricey though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt7lhKSwWcI

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I love the Techmoan reviews when I have time to watch the whole thing. Otherwise, I wish he offered a TL;DR version.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

DropShadow posted:

I love the Techmoan reviews when I have time to watch the whole thing. Otherwise, I wish he offered a TL;DR version.

skim the videos. I do and dont feel like i miss anything important.

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007

Laserface posted:

For those that don't follow, the Mini 0803 has a nice firmware upgrade that adds the option to display GPS speed overlay in the video feed along with date and time, and Co-ordinates too I think.

You can also set the speed stamp to blank-out after a certain speed to protect your innocence should you decide to break the speed limit.

Also this looks like a great design - a mini DVR almost in that the cameras are remote, miniaturized and the control unit can be remotely mounted. The quality isnt quite up to par with the likes of the Mini 080x range but still pretty good if you definitely had to have a twin camera setup. pricey though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt7lhKSwWcI

That looks really neat! I'd probably be all over that if I didn't just get a Mobius for the Prius V. :argh: One of the cool DIYs I saw with the Mobius (but I can't seem to find again) had a person removing the camera and having a long cord back to the unit. It made the Mobius even more discreet since it was just the camera being mounted. You could then put the little unit with the controls, battery, and SD card in another location and access it as needed. (Anyone know what I'm talking about?)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

it was earlier in the thread, yeah.

its not as 'remote' as those cameras though. maybe about 10cm.

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007

Laserface posted:

it was earlier in the thread, yeah.

its not as 'remote' as those cameras though. maybe about 10cm.

:doh: Of course... Still neat though!

Regardless, count me as another satisfied customer for the Mobius. I have the Mini-0803 B40/A118 in my S2000 and haven't really had trouble with that one. It lost the date once, but that may have been because it was accidentally turned on when the car wasn't running. The only one I've really had trouble with was the DVR-207, which is one that most people had good luck with. Not too long after I got it, the unit would intermittently stop turning on and functioning until I unplugged it and pulled the battery out. I'm still bitter at that unit because it wasn't working when one of the scariest things happened to me.

It was a foggy morning with a little moisture--hardly the worst of driving conditions. I was driving down the highway and see someone pull out onto the feeder road. This SUV starts fishtailing wildly. I go "oh poo poo, this person might crash", turn on my hazard lights, and start slowing down. I'm fully expecting to pull over and help this person out. They just continue flailing around wildly before barreling up the dirt incline onto the highway... Right at me. I slam on the brakes, narrowly avoiding a collision, and pull over to the shoulder. The SUV continues to whip around a few lanes until they get control again and just continue on without stopping. I look up at my trusty DVR-207, pull the screen down, and see that it's hosed up yet again. :smith: ...That's when I got a new dash camera!

e: Got confused as to which camera I had.

NO BROS FOR HOES fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 9, 2015

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Laserface posted:

skim the videos. I do and dont feel like i miss anything important.

Glad it's not just me.

I feel a bit guilty, but drat it, you don't need 20mins to review a single camera.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

spog posted:

Glad it's not just me.

I feel a bit guilty, but drat it, you don't need 20mins to review a single camera.

I dont. he puts all the important info in the description. read his thoughts, skip to the video samples and decide from there.

Hes a great reviewer (thank god he doesnt take 20 years 'unboxing' every single item and going to great detail about it) but it feels like im watching Thomas the Tank Engine.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Here's another beauty. A bike's a bike, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln45CRHWSmA

(Yes, it's a motorcycle, not a moped or anything else that's allowed on the bike path.)

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Laserface posted:

My google-fu is apparently weak today, mind sharing a link to where I would find that? Instal instructions would be awesome as I would rather not brick mine trying.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KozmoNaut posted:

Here's another beauty. A bike's a bike, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln45CRHWSmA

(Yes, it's a motorcycle, not a moped or anything else that's allowed on the bike path.)

Are those street lamps suspended overhead?
Also, rear end in a top hat, but at least he didn't try to overtake the bicycle ... I guess?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Negromancer posted:

My google-fu is apparently weak today, mind sharing a link to where I would find that? Instal instructions would be awesome as I would rather not brick mine trying.

should have done that, Sorry! The latest firmware is the top one here

Be aware that it will change the language to Russian as default. take note of how to get to the language setting BEFORE you update the firmware (or spend 20min searching for 'english' in every setting.) All settings are also defaulted.

That page also has the software editor that allows you to upload custom boot logos and gently caress around with other settings.

Dashcamtalk.com has the instructions here

You do need to rename the file to firmware for it to detect the update.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CharlesM posted:

Are those street lamps suspended overhead?

Yes, it's very common in Copenhagen, and they light up the streets quite well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ-KA7SCjXI

I wish I could say this was a rare occurrence. Thanks, ProStar!

Also, I swapped MicroSD cards today before I went offroading. It recorded the whole trip, and then the card shat itself. :argh:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I loving hate people that pull that poo poo. I always wish a cop was around when I see stuff like that, but they almost never are. :smith:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also, I swapped MicroSD cards today before I went offroading. It recorded the whole trip, and then the card shat itself. :argh:

I'm glad he saved those vital 4 seconds.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's cool that you got Bill Clinton on your radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SZFRvuJ2a0

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Trying to move my dashcam to a new car and it's not easy to find a way to cable it in neatly.

I have a satnav that I use - is there such a thing as a USB mini Y adaptor? So I can take the satnav's USB mini plug and also use it to supply the dashcam's USB mini?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sure but it's questionable if the power adapter can supply both. If your navigation also has FM traffic it often uses a signal from the power adapter too.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Sure but it's questionable if the power adapter can supply both. If your navigation also has FM traffic it often uses a signal from the power adapter too.

You're probably right: the Garmin has something funky going on with its power supply: a genuine Garmin cable will let you use it in a car, a generic USB cable will force it into charge-only mode: so they've probably got a short or something in there.

I am currently having a problem working out how to install my dashcam without horrible cables all over my shiny dash.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

spog posted:

You're probably right: the Garmin has something funky going on with its power supply: a genuine Garmin cable will let you use it in a car, a generic USB cable will force it into charge-only mode: so they've probably got a short or something in there.

I am currently having a problem working out how to install my dashcam without horrible cables all over my shiny dash.

hide them in the roof liner like everyone else in the thread.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Laserface posted:

hide them in the roof liner like everyone else in the thread.

About that....

actually, it's not a big deal to run it around the windscreen/A pillar, the problem is getting it from the base of the A pillar to the centre console, without having to open up the dash. I am half-wondering if I could take a feed from the courtesy light or autodim mirror and hide a 12v-5v converter up inside there. Can you tap straight into a light feed that, or will the CANBUS complain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spog posted:

About that....

actually, it's not a big deal to run it around the windscreen/A pillar, the problem is getting it from the base of the A pillar to the centre console, without having to open up the dash. I am half-wondering if I could take a feed from the courtesy light or autodim mirror and hide a 12v-5v converter up inside there. Can you tap straight into a light feed that, or will the CANBUS complain?

When I wired up miata I ran the cord down under the weatherstripping on the A pillar, then under the dash in the passenger footwell, into the outlet. Worked fine.