Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

:siren:MOST RECENT VIDEOS:siren:

Let's Play BMX XXX Bonus: Park Editor Mode

Text Link

Let's Play BMX XXX Part 15 - Completing All Challenges

Text Link

:siren: GENERAL INFORMATION :siren:

In 1999, a game called Tony Hawk's Pro Skater came out. We won't be playing that.

Instead, we're playing all the other games that came out that tried to do the same thing but with different XTREME sports. Since the summer of 2012, I have been skating, snowboarding, biking, blading, and...uhh...even scootering for your guys' enjoyment. How many games will I be playing, you ask? TOO MANY.

Sometimes these games are just derivative and boring. Sometimes they bring something fresh to the table and are actually fun to play. And sometimes, oh man, sometimes it all goes badly. I will be covering games for Playstation 1, 2 and 3, Gamecube, Xbox, and Xbox 360. Maybe I can emulate an N64 or Dreamcast game if there is something special you think I'm leaving out. The main generation for these game is the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation, so that is where most of the games come from.

So what will the LPs be like?

I’ll go through the single player modes, usually showing off a level per video. If the game is about doing various goals in the levels, I’ll try to do them all, and if the game’s just about beating levels and advancing then I’ll do that. The main games will have post-commentary and editing, but if a game is so bad it only deserves a single video highlight, I'll do those as live highlights in a special "Let's NOT Play" segment. blanktester (NO CAPS) is my buddy and he's pretty much with me all the time in commentary. I usually do over-the-internet Skype commentary as well with a variety of guests.

What do you think about spoilers?

I really have no idea if you can even spoil these games. None of them have a plot Some of them have really stupid plots, and all of them are really just a collection of levels. So you can pretty much say whatever in this thread, unless that becomes a bad idea and I modify the rule.

What is your schedule for the LP?

I’ll try to get one out at least once a week. Usually it's 3 to 7 days between updates. If I vanish for two weeks or more, call the police.

I'm new to this series! What games do you recommend I watch?

From "actually good" to "incredibly bad":

Downhill Domination is probably the best game we've done in the series. Fast-paced downhill bike racing with a great combination of speed, skill, tricks, combat, and large levels.
Wakeboarding Unleashed is a very underrated game that applies solid mechanics to a unique sport that requires unique game design.
ESPN X-Games Skateboarding is the perfect example of a derivative game made to bring in cash, but it was our introduction to prior thread fan-favorite, Rick McCrank, the coolest skater you've never heard of.
Crusty Demons is a weird game that really tries way too hard to be extreme. You're a motocross rider riding for the devil, and you go across the world crashing into everything and doing all sorts of stupid poo poo.
Jonny Moseley Mad Trix is an absolute trainwreck and is probably still the funniest game I've done. Washed up skiing star Jonny Moseley teleports across the map and just generally breaks every law of physics in this clusterfuck of a game.

The second post has links to all the games I have done on a Google doc, and all the extra videos that I did along the way. Head to the third post to see the start of this thread's content.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
:siren:THE OLD THREAD:siren:

The old thread can be found HERE. Scroll through and watch as people respond to videos and I release the next videos, or relive the...uhh...glory days.

*********************************************************************************************

:siren: FULL GAMES LIST :siren:

I have put together a google doc that shows every game I've done for the series since starting, with a little detail about the game and a link to the youtube playlists.

Text link to full games list

I will do this to save space, and I will be adding games to that list when I finish them. They are in chronological order right now, from first game I did to the last of the previous thread.

*********************************************************************************************

:siren:ONE-SHOT GAMES:siren:

Sometimes, blanktester and I get really lovely extreme sports games and do one video showing them off and making fun of them, or maybe something only lasts one video and isn't a full thing. Here are the collected games:

NRA Gun Club: Youtube
Gravity Games Bike: Street Vert Dirt: Youtube
ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarding: Youtube
AMF Xtreme Bowling 2006 Part 1: Part 1 / Part 2 (highlight of the year at 10:00 in Part 2)
Wave Rally: Youtube
MYSTERY GAME: Youtube
Razor Racing: Youtube
Carol Vorderman's Sudoku: Youtube
Disney Extreme Skate Adventure: Youtube
Winter International Sports 2002: Youtube
Snocross 2: Part 1 / Part 2 / Bonus Video
Snocross 1: Part 1 / Part 2
Petz Dogz 2: Youtube
Smashing Drive: Youtube (Despite being on this list, the game is actually amazing. It's still a one-shot, though, so it's going here)
Transworld Surf: Main Episode / Bonus Glitches
Surfing H3O: Youtube
MYSTERY GAME #2: Main Episode / Bonus Video
Antz Extreme Racing: Youtube
Shrek Smash N' Crash Racing: Part 1 / Part 2
ATV Racers: Youtube
ATV Quad Power Racing 2: Youtube
4x4 Evolution: Youtube
Snowboarding (PS1 Game): Youtube
Street Sk8er: Youtube

:siren:FAN-ART:siren:

Daigerus was inspired by my trip to Ocean World in Wakeboarding Unleashed:

Daigerus posted:

Also, I was inspired by that Ocean World wackiness and this thread deserves some fanart.

So here's Anonymous Wakeboarder doing the world a favor and showing that mascot what for:

And in an alternate universe, the managers finally found a better-looking mascot based on Zippy and decided to stage some faux-charity boxing match for some of the more hardcore fans:

Meanwhile, my commentary buddy blanktester shows us that Jonny Moseley Mad Trix are for kids. Or, I guess it would be 'is' for kids in this case...hmm

blanktester posted:

IntelligentCalcium posted:

If I were any good with photoshop, I'd do like, the Trix rabbit really pissed off on a pair of skis.

Mad Trix, get it? Ohhohohoho, etc.

While we were coming up with a plot for Mountain Bike Adrenaline AKA 'Hill Bike Boredom', Serious George lays down an excellent front cover. For context, uhh, this game was garbage and we passed the time by trying to create a giant plot that tied these games together.

Serious George posted:

IntelligentCalcium posted:

I've got it! Skier X is the one who made it snow everywhere in Johnny Moseley's game! He's in league with Demonic to ruin XTREME SPORTS forever! The scooby doo gang has to collect all the gold metals before Skier X buries them under permafrost; going with BioEnchanted's idea, the mountain bike kids then have to use these medals to revive the fallen Xtreme Heroes that have been placed in an icy stasis by Skier X and Demonic. Together they shred and skate in an event SO XTREME it warms the Earth back up to normal and restores the glory of XTREME SPORTS.

Starring Willem Defoe as Demonic and Gary Oldman as Skier X. In theaters XTREME-mas 2014.

I feel like this is one of those stories where the villains totally steal the show.

Then, Daiger gave us this for our 'give Toxic Grind a better plot' challenge.

Daigerus posted:

What am I, some kind of magical art-related genie here to grant your every wish? Well, sorry to dash your expectations, but I only got this crappy sketch thing instead, so there. Like, if Toxic Grind really wants to be extreme, then it needs to ditch the bikes and be more truthful to its actual title. Like it needs some actual toxic grinding, and oh, let's make them (suggestively) naked too to drive up those ratings. Cause that's what that game really needs. And hexagons.

seriously the rampant, excessive violence was the only good thing about the game

Later, Daiger discovered blanktester and I's secret identities.

Daigerus posted:

For the record, it all began with this innocuous image I found in the depths of the interweb:

What I didn't know was that this image was linked to a website, which had long been shut down by the time I've compiled this post, so what you're about to see is the best of what I've recollected together and assembled after several incidents of being chloroform'd and fighting off cyborg ninjas down uneventful mountain bike trails, which may or may not be related to me uncovering said conspiracy.

People of the internet, I present to you the true(ish?) story behind Insetik47 and blanktester:

And last, someone on deviantart whipped up another sick album from our Splashdown boy Amman Ra! Man, some of those diss track look intense!

Fanart done by JacobTaylor13, in case you were interested in seeing the rest of his page.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 17, 2016

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
:siren: KICKING OFF THE THREAD WITH A DOUBLE FEATURE :siren:

I've got two games to kick things off here! I'm putting up one video for both now, then I'll start alternating games for the next videos.

Let's Play Free Running

What is this game?

Free Running is a game about parkour. Take control of a new parkour enthusiast as you run, climb, hop, and flip your way through several levels. Each level tests your skills in moving about the map, doing all the coll stuff that freerunners do instead of, like, taking the stairs.

Also, this game is either PAL-only, or it is VERY RARE to come by in the US. However, fellow SA user BioEnchanted is recording the game for us and will be on the videos as well to walk us through the game. Since I have not played it, I won't rate the game until the end of the LP, but so far it looks well-put together, and the levels give a lot of opportunities for all the moves at your disposal. Are there too many moves, though? The tutorial takes, like, 15 minutes to walk you through them all. You decide yourself after watching the first video.

Free Running Part 1: Gym (Tutorials)

Text Link

*************************************************************************************

Let's Play Transworld Snowboarding

What is this game?

Transworld Snowboarding is an Xbox-only game licensed from the magazine of the same name. In it, you pick from one of ten riders and go across the world to a bunch of levels that can fall under several categories. They can be standard slopestyle, big air, halfpipe, race, or backcountry tracks. Each has their own set of goals, usually tweaked to focus on the type of level the place is.

Well, that sounds pretty standard. Nothing really stands out there. However, this game is not that well-made. It's not a complete trainwreck like Jonny Moseley, but there wasn't a ton of thought put into it. That means there are a few things you will see when I start playing the game:
  • You can spin like a madman and land things you really shouldn't have. However, you shouldn't do that, because:
  • landing poorly cuts your entire combo in half. Had a 10x? Say hi to 5x. And that's an issue because:
  • You really don't get that many points from anything. You need to get, like, 10x combos or higher to get anywhere. Luckily:
  • There are a bunch of tricks I've figured out to cheese this game. You will see all in due time.

So a few things make the game broken in both a good and bad way. I guess it balances out? Enough to give the game, like, a 5-6 out of 10? Still, there isn't much footage of the game online and I want to show the full thing for anyone interested.

Transworld Snowboarding: Bavaria and Lapland

Text Link

Insetik fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 8, 2015

mattroks101
Aug 5, 2013
It's a real shame Free Running never made it to the US. It looks like a game I'd definitely have picked up if it were around.

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

mattroks101 posted:

It's a real shame Free Running never made it to the US. It looks like a game I'd definitely have picked up if it were around.

BioEnchanted just linked this to me, and it blows my mind.

Why is that website still up???

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
Posting in a goldmined thread

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

blanktester posted:

BioEnchanted just linked this to me, and it blows my mind.

Why is that website still up???

Ohhh man that website is...something. So much enthusiasm about a game that doesn't make any cultural impact at all.

Just look at this contest for Free Running 2, guys.

quote:

Competition!!

To win the latest Adidas Microride training shoe and apparel and the first copies of Free Running on PS2 and PSP, we thought we'd open the door to your ideas on the upcoming Free Running 2 videogame. We'd like your thoughts on what are the latest and best moves, tricks, environments and even locations (has anyone ever free run through the Bronx in New York or the carnival streets of Rio?). If you want to sketch something out, we'd take that too. The best suggestions will help form the basis of the new game, and in return we can even name a character after you (plus your other prizes of course). Just send a 200 word (no more than this!) summary and any sketches/designs etc to the email below. Please include a daytime telephone number which we can contact you on (oh, and don't forget your shoe size. Shoes sizes available 8-12). All entries must be in by February 28th 2007 and the winners will be notified in March. Good luck!

I heard that due to VERY LOW response, they're still taking letters today! Map out a freerunning line for your dumb town and send that in (don't actually send them anything (ok actually please do)).

But apparently it's on Playstation Network for all you euro goons, so yeah, now you can play it on your PS3. If it's cheap enough, maybe give it a try. I'm not bagging on the actual game here. It does look solid and well-put together. I've heard from BioEnchanted that later levels get extremely tough, but I have yet to see that myself so I won't make complaints about that yet.

I think Free Running will be the game that gets its next video out first. Admittedly, you guys didn't really get to see any gameplay in an actual level.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Oh, you've got a PAL user on the team. That means you can do Skate Attack... http://www.midasinteractive.com/products/sony-ps2/skate-attack.html

Or this http://www.midasinteractive.com/products/sony-ps2/snowboard-racer-2.html
And this sounds X-treme! http://www.midasinteractive.com/products/sony-ps2/x-treme-express.html

As for snowboarding, I like "find the halfpipe" objective. Write a plot about your character searching the world for a halfpipe full of Nazi gold, using snow_boarding as their cover. His superhero sign is the dickbutt aurora borealis.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

Oh, you've got a PAL user on the team. That means you can do Skate Attack... http://www.midasinteractive.com/products/sony-ps2/skate-attack.html

Or this http://www.midasinteractive.com/products/sony-ps2/snowboard-racer-2.html
And this sounds X-treme! http://www.midasinteractive.com/products/sony-ps2/x-treme-express.html

As for snowboarding, I like "find the halfpipe" objective. Write a plot about your character searching the world for a halfpipe full of Nazi gold, using snow_boarding as their cover. His superhero sign is the dickbutt aurora borealis.

Oh poo poo, we might need to do a Midas Block sometime. And for that last one, I've heard of games that are on rails, but this is out of control.

And blanktester is already working on this plot premise. It will have some of the other riders from the game in it. For example, Tina Basich is gonna be a super basich bitch, like, shops at whole food markets and such, Also Kevin James will be playing Kevin Jones, that's for sure.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, maybe if I show a bit more of Free Running off, you can actually see how the game plays out. Levels are made up of several challenges like running through a line of rings, collecting various tokens, or hurling yourself off ledges to rack up points. I think I can already guess everyone's favorite to watch.

Free Running Part 2: Starting 'Home'

Text Link

Now that you've seen a bit of gameplay, what do you think? BioEnchanted tells us that the first few levels are a bit more 'general' and focuses less on specific lines, though I am still seeing a good amount of ways to get from point A to point B. What do you see?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It's strange to see a game where you hurt yourself not for the glory of Satan.

The level seems to have a hub area around the starting point where you can play around, and then it extends into specific paths, like the one wrapping around the outer wall near the end.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

It's strange to see a game where you hurt yourself not for the glory of Satan.

The level seems to have a hub area around the starting point where you can play around, and then it extends into specific paths, like the one wrapping around the outer wall near the end.

Maybe the first level is just trying to be a 'catch-all' type of level. Except that they also made it smaller than the later levels, so the hub and the other paths just feel...short. We finish up (or make good progress on) that level and move on to the next level in the next Free Running video, and that level feels like everything is laid out with enough room.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Ovues posted:

Now that you've seen a bit of gameplay, what do you think? BioEnchanted tells us that the first few levels are a bit more 'general' and focuses less on specific lines, though I am still seeing a good amount of ways to get from point A to point B. What do you see?

It looks rather fun, if a bit clunky in execution, and the tutorial could have been made shorter if it combined similar moves like the Wall Walk and Pharaoh Walk where the only difference is just the animation. Also, more sport games need more explosions where the player can have hilarious fun injuring their player avatars.

Just curious, is it possible to chain ground tricks into walls, like doing a Flying Dragon or Flick Flack towards the wall and then doing the Tic Tac? Also, is there a limit to how far you can fall (outside of falling out of the level boundaries) before doing a Breakfall or Precision Landing isn't feasible and you're forced to take a lot of damage? I presume that falling out of the level means losing all your health and forcing you to restart.

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

Daigerus posted:

Just curious, is it possible to chain ground tricks into walls, like doing a Flying Dragon or Flick Flack towards the wall and then doing the Tic Tac? Also, is there a limit to how far you can fall (outside of falling out of the level boundaries) before doing a Breakfall or Precision Landing isn't feasible and you're forced to take a lot of damage? I presume that falling out of the level means losing all your health and forcing you to restart.

I don't think so. I think you have to just finish the Flick Flack and then do a wall trick or whatever. Not sure though, perhaps BioEnchanted can answer that for us. I don't think there's a limit to the fall height though as far as Breakfalls are concerned.

Just thinking aloud... How great would it be if you could merge the game mechanics from the 2 games we're doing?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Daigerus posted:

It looks rather fun, if a bit clunky in execution, and the tutorial could have been made shorter if it combined similar moves like the Wall Walk and Pharaoh Walk where the only difference is just the animation. Also, more sport games need more explosions where the player can have hilarious fun injuring their player avatars.

I can't answer this, but I went straight to BioEnchanted to find the answers to your questions.

BioEnchanted posted:

There is a limit to how far you can fall, and you cannot chain tricks into wall moves.

So there you go. If you do a ground trick wrong, you're eating some wall with your face, and if you fall off a high place, GG.

Alright guys, let's get some more Transworld Snow up in here. Today, we're heading to our first halfpipe and our first backcountry. In the halfpipe, we have to bust all the sickest tricks, and then on the backcountry, we go hunting for key places to find in the level...along with busting the sickest tricks.

Also, I'm expecting to see some gifs of...uhh...that part of the video.

Transworld Snowboarding Part 2: Karelian and Lost Resort

Text Link

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

...when the hell did we record that?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The dummy animals were probably used as secret equipment stashes for our halfpipe-seeking superhero.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

SelenicMartian posted:

The dummy animals were probably used as secret equipment stashes for our halfpipe-seeking superhero.

He's using his amazing snowboard powers to fire them off into low orbit, where upon re-entry the friction will cook them to perfection, and they'll land right smack dab on the tables of starving families around the world.

Bless you, snowboards mans.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I've... found a Midas-published game that even their official website did not include in the list of crap they've released.

JP, PAL only

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000087H89/

13 moves!

Oh crap, it has a gamefaq. http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/257427-ultimate-sky-surfer/faqs/7505

quote:

Sky Surfer is the start of what could be a great genre of Next Generation
Sports games. The idea is simple enough, Take the snowboard skills to the air
Where you must performs massive tricks and spin combinations to earn as many
Points as possible. This video game looks like it was rushed for release but
Shouldn't be dismissed as something to avoid.
Shouldn't it?

It appears, there's also a cheat to ride a dirt bike.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 17, 2015

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

I've... found a Midas-published game that even their official website did not include in the list of crap they've released.

JP, PAL only

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000087H89/

13 moves!

Oh crap, it has a gamefaq. http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/257427-ultimate-sky-surfer/faqs/7505

Shouldn't it?

It appears, there's also a cheat to ride a dirt bike.

Gameplay for anyone interested. I skipped around this video and my jaw dropped more and more as I watched.

SelenicMartian, thanks to you, I will be mailing so many things to BioEnchanted's doorstep soon. If you find more ridiculous games, keep posting them in this thread. There may be a few I know about (and one or two that I own right now), but especially for PAL-only stuff, I don't know about those.

Anyways, speaking of, it's time to get back to some more Free Running. In this next video, we spend a bit more time in Home before moving on to the next level, Flats.

Free Running Part 3: Home Pt. 2, Flats Pt. 1

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Living in that block must suck. Every time some bastard in stolen shorts jumps from a dumpster to an air conditioner playing "the floor is lava" you get noisy fireworks. Then some dummy smashes into your window and a dude yells "Flying butt twist!"

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Living in that block must suck. Every time some bastard in stolen shorts jumps from a dumpster to an air conditioner playing "the floor is lava" you get noisy fireworks. Then some dummy smashes into your window and a dude yells "Flying butt twist!"

I think the pacers must have misheard "strip poker" at one point and that's why our guy is getting clothes as prizes, one article at a time. Though it would have been more hilarious if the player was redoing missions they've beaten and their opponent is just wearing boxers. Speaking of which, is there an option to wear as little clothing as possible like in that snowboarding game?

Also, don't forget the abandoned shopping carts accompanied by shifty-looking hobos and the amount of crates of TNT scattered around that would put any Michael Bay movie to shame.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Daigerus posted:

I think the pacers must have misheard "strip poker" at one point and that's why our guy is getting clothes as prizes, one article at a time. Though it would have been more hilarious if the player was redoing missions they've beaten and their opponent is just wearing boxers. Speaking of which, is there an option to wear as little clothing as possible like in that snowboarding game?

We haven't really touched on it so far, but the different clothes are actually giving us stat boosts. However, there is one stat that is always pushed into the negative, which leads me to think that running naked would be our best option there. We'll touch on more of that in the next Free Running video

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Ovues posted:

We haven't really touched on it so far, but the different clothes are actually giving us stat boosts. However, there is one stat that is always pushed into the negative, which leads me to think that running naked would be our best option there. We'll touch on more of that in the next Free Running video

Ah, the incredibly important 'dong waggle' stat.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Segmentation Fox posted:

Ah, the incredibly important 'dong waggle' stat.

The tighter the whiteys, the less fun the run. #Words2LiveBy #FreeRunningFreeBalling #MyBallsLikeMyFlowBlowFreeInTheWind #InsetikStrats #IfYouThinkThisHashtagIsTooLongYouShouldSeeMyOtherHashtag

Insetik fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 21, 2015

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, y'all, we're going back to the slopes of Transworld Snowboarding to do some intense racing action before we bust more tricks.

Transworld Snowboarding Part 3: Transworld Summit and Transworld Park

Text Link

After you watch that, I want to hear from you guys what you think of the game. Transworld Snow is just so...so loose. You either have to land right on your face or fall, like, 200 feet onto flat ground to crash. Otherwise, you'll land and ride off no problem. Also, as you see in the video, the developers didn't waste too much time blocking off the outside of levels. There isn't much detail outside of the actual level, but you can just go cruising out there and take in the sights.

On the other hand, the developers had no idea how many points you really get or how hard it is to pass some of these score/drop challenges. Getting 300k points means you need about 4 or 5 20x combos to get anywhere close to passing. It feels like another huge oversight, but this one drags the game down and prevents you from really trying to experiment.

Sometimes, the game is very forgiving, and then for a single challenge or two, they are almost impossible. What do you see from the footage?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Ovues posted:

Sometimes, the game is very forgiving, and then for a single challenge or two, they are almost impossible. What do you see from the footage?
Looks rushed? Pretty much everything seems to lack a coat of paint. The project was probably reasonably planned but poorly managed, so they've got the basics of everything done first, but didn't have the time to fully test the level borders, the physics or the challenges.

Not sure, why our wood-grinding superhero is trying to pick a fight with the audience at the finish line of every event though.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

Looks rushed? Pretty much everything seems to lack a coat of paint. The project was probably reasonably planned but poorly managed, so they've got the basics of everything done first, but didn't have the time to fully test the level borders, the physics or the challenges.

Not sure, why our wood-grinding superhero is trying to pick a fight with the audience at the finish line of every event though.

Did they really want to do more than this? Maybe this was the finished product from day 1.

Speaking of finished products, there is something at the end of this next Free Running video that you guys need to see. If the level is really boring you (and man, it really doesn't have much going for it), skip to 19:45 in the video or so to watch what happens when your game really doesn't get finished.

Free Running Part 4: Mill Part 1

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Free Running is going downhill fast. The slopes seem especially bad because they were too steep and you can't see where they end because the camera is too slow to rise.

A PSP version of FR exists. How badly does that control?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

Free Running is going downhill fast. The slopes seem especially bad because they were too steep and you can't see where they end because the camera is too slow to rise.

A PSP version of FR exists. How badly does that control?

After recording more Free Running, it really does get better once we move on to level 4. It's like it gave you three whole levels of tutorial which also have a ton of challenges in them. So, uhh, wait it out for a couple more episodes?

But now we're going on to Transworld Snowboarding, where you always know exactly what you expect, up until you find a brand new corner that they've cut. At the end of this next video, we are halfway through the game, so we get to unlock our character's bio and learn a bit about Daniel Franck himself. Now, if only the bio was interesting or well-done at all.

Transworld Snowboarding Part 4: Road Gap and Transworld Pipe

Text Link

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Ovues posted:

Transworld Snowboarding, where you always know exactly what you expect, up until you find a brand new corner that they've cut.

That might be the best way to summarize the game. They just cut corners and shipped it.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
My favorite character is the shark mascot from Wakeboarding Unleashed - he'd give Left Shark a run for his money. Or maybe Zippy the orca from the same level.

Also, that bio video was very jarring to watch - it's like the people behind it didn't know how to edit action scenes and interviews together decently. Or at all. At least we always have our moose flying into sub-orbit. And church-vandalizing. But hey, at least this game acknowledges that religion exists, but now I'm wondering who'd even build a church up high, or who'd even go up that high in the first place just for a sermon.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Ovues posted:

So, uhh, wait it out for a couple more episodes?
That sounds promising, you know. Yeah?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Daigerus posted:

My favorite character is the shark mascot from Wakeboarding Unleashed - he'd give Left Shark a run for his money. Or maybe Zippy the orca from the same level.

Also, that bio video was very jarring to watch - it's like the people behind it didn't know how to edit action scenes and interviews together decently. Or at all. At least we always have our moose flying into sub-orbit. And church-vandalizing. But hey, at least this game acknowledges that religion exists, but now I'm wondering who'd even build a church up high, or who'd even go up that high in the first place just for a sermon.

If anyone ever interviews me about my LP cred, I'm going to answer every question like Daniel Franck.

"Why am I so funny? I need to make jokes, you know, they're good jokes, and I need to make them, you know?"

SelenicMartian posted:

That sounds promising, you know. Yeah?

Nice Daniel Franck impersonation, I gotta step up my game.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, today on Free Running, we go back through the first set of levels to do more challenges in preparation for the second set. That's...basically it, really.

Free Running Part 5: Cleaning up Levels 1-3

Text Link

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Are we going to see the dress-ups in Free Running? Some of the clothing ideas sound funky.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
At the end of the final video I will record myself going through the clothing options to show all the options off, provided enough people want to see it. Each item takes a while to load though, so be aware.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Also, Bio and I are talking about maybe shifting up how the Free Running videos are going and how we cover the levels. If we do something different, it'll be in a couple videos from now. Maybe it might speed the game up or be a little more interesting, hopefully.

And now we're back to Transworld Snowboarding. I have to say, I really am surprised by the 'freedom' you have in the levels. Sure, sometimes there isn't much, but there's something to be said about making a path down the mountain and just leaving the rest of the mountain in. There's a point in this next video, during the first race, where I jump out of a shortcut and basically make my own shortcut down the slope. Of course, the mountain looks like poo poo here, but the fact that I wasn't blocked from doing so is...pretty cool, actually.

After that, we go back to Salt Lake City. How many times are we gonna see SLC before this is over? I think we've been there more often than we have New York or L.A!

Transworld Snowboarding Part 5: Alps Road and SLC Ghetto

Text Link

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
According to BioEnchanted, the next part of Free Running is better than the first part. According to me, it looks that way.

Free Running Part 6: Docks

Text Link

The Docks has a much better distinction between its freerunning lines, mainly because of the huge height difference between them. You're either on the ground, on some lower shipping containers, or up on the higher path. We've gone running on roofs before, but it was usually a large area that just acted as another isolated section of the level. Here, that verticality now gives you multiple ways to get from point A to point B that go through the same parts of the level. Also, we finally see something I could consider a "setpiece" - something that is fun to play around with and looks swag as hell when you spin and flip across it. I'm sure you'll see what I'm talking about.

This video and the next one mark the start of our attempts to condense the game a little more. From now on, we'll be doing (mostly) one new level per video. If Bio has any bonus events he wants to show, those will go into bonus vids. So if this level wasn't your thing, next video will be a different location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

This starts to look like classic Tomb Raider levels, minus all the tigers and spikes.

• Locked thread