Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

One I use is working much better so far. Switches over to it much quicker and smoother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So "diverse emojis" just mean that there's gay people in there now? Because otherwise they look pretty much the same.

EDIT:

Oh ha, it's hold and select for different skin tones on certain emoji

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the new yellow emoji tone looks awful

Jimmmmah
Oct 11, 2000
Forum Veteran
Attempting to fix my friends broken iPhone 5, it isn't jailbroken, it does the recovery loop - I popped it into DFU mode and attempted to factory reset but it comes up with error 21 on itunes, my hosts file is clean and have tried numerous attempts. I am starting to think its a hardware error as it doesn't switch on unless its connected to a pc, would it be battery related ? Starting to run out of ideas now and I don't have the tools to open it up and have a quick look at the battery ribbon etc. Any ideas ? Or any software which would help ? I'm on windows (posted this in the jailbreaking thread accidentally)

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
So are the new emoji's yellow by default? Is there an option to select a default skin tone?

I'm jailbroken so I won't be updating but the yellow looks so awful that I'd be seriously annoyed if it's the new default.

I sound like a 13 year old girl with autism.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

So group text messages now show exactly who the text is going to as the first line in the preview with every single message I get. Is there a way to turn this off?

Email notification is showing the titles twice too. Really irritating.

Edit: This is on 8.3

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
iTunes Radio broken for anyone else on 8.3 (iPhone 6)? Hit a radio station and seems to loop loading songs.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

serebralassazin posted:

iTunes Radio broken for anyone else on 8.3 (iPhone 6)? Hit a radio station and seems to loop loading songs.

You may need to sign in and out of iTunes and/or the Music app and maybe turn iTunes Radio off/on.

Works fine on my phone.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

coldplay chiptunes posted:

So are the new emoji's yellow by default? Is there an option to select a default skin tone?

I'm jailbroken so I won't be updating but the yellow looks so awful that I'd be seriously annoyed if it's the new default.

I sound like a 13 year old girl with autism.

It does save the last skin tone you used for each emoji, so I guess you just need to go black power fist once?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Jose Oquendo posted:

You may need to sign in and out of iTunes and/or the Music app and maybe turn iTunes Radio off/on.

Works fine on my phone.

Signing in and out fixed it. Odd. Oh well, it's fixed. Thanks.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

serebralassazin posted:

Signing in and out fixed it. Odd. Oh well, it's fixed. Thanks.

That's happened to me in the past on different version of iOS.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So with iCloud photo library being re-released, how are people finding it? I'm not sure if I wanna spend to upgrade my iCloud storage for it since I get by just fine as it stands, plus my iPad would fill up in no time if it gets a copy of every photo from my phone (I clear out Photostream) pretty regularly, but it all does seem rather convenient!

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

Question Mark Mound posted:

So with iCloud photo library being re-released, how are people finding it? I'm not sure if I wanna spend to upgrade my iCloud storage for it since I get by just fine as it stands, plus my iPad would fill up in no time if it gets a copy of every photo from my phone (I clear out Photostream) pretty regularly, but it all does seem rather convenient!

The whole point is that it supports keeping thumbnails of all your photos on your iPad and only downloads the ones you actually want to look at. So no, your iPad won't fill up in no time.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Rnr posted:

The whole point is that it supports keeping thumbnails of all your photos on your iPad and only downloads the ones you actually want to look at. So no, your iPad won't fill up in no time.

Your iCloud storage will tho. I got the notification this morning.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

Yes, you will have to decide if you want to pay for that convenience. For me and some others it has worked really well, and is worth it to get rid of micromanaging photos. YMMV.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just noticed that any notes that I've entered on my iPhone have been getting emailed to my work email account hundreds of times over.

Its not a huge deal but I sometimes jot down passwords and other sensitive info. God loving damnit.

I just wanted a basic little wordpad app, is that so much to ask for Apple? I've got sharing for notes already disabled and its emailing me the same notes literally over and over and over.
The only other option I see in settings is to disable notes for that email account, but doing so says that its going to delete all of my notes. God damnit.

I guess I shouldn't have used notes and should have downloaded some dumb 3rd part notes application, but why does Apple even make their own first-party apps if they're this lovely? :v:

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Notes is one of my top 5 used apps, and I wouldn't call it lovely at all. Your problem is that you've associated it with your work email. Can you not just copy/paste your notes over to a different account (iCloud for example)?

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
My wife has an iPhone, too. For App Store stuff, she uses my iTunes account. This was set up before family sharing, and I've never been bothered to set up.

I have additional iCloud storage set up on my phone. We have separate iCloud accounts, and she is out of space. I have iTunes credit on my iTunes account. Is there anyway to use that credit to buy more storage space for her?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

empty baggie posted:

Notes is one of my top 5 used apps, and I wouldn't call it lovely at all. Your problem is that you've associated it with your work email. Can you not just copy/paste your notes over to a different account (iCloud for example)?

It only gives me two options, my private email or my work email (And it enabled both by default so that notes were being duplicated both over and over each time I edited them, great design). And I don't want it ever emailed anywhere, not even to iCloud. I just want simple little dumb notes that are stored in a text file on my phone and nowhere else.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

It only gives me two options, my private email or my work email (And it enabled both by default so that notes were being duplicated both over and over each time I edited them, great design). And I don't want it ever emailed anywhere, not even to iCloud. I just want simple little dumb notes that are stored in a text file on my phone and nowhere else.

They don't email to me at all, but I only have them enabled for iCloud. I also have a few notes that are only stored on my phone and are not tied to any email account, but honestly I'm not sure how I managed to do that.

E: Notes preferences, you can set the default account to "On My iPhone", and they will just be stored on your phone.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 9, 2015

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Has there been any talk of updating the iCloud app on Windows to support photo library? It's sort of annoying that I either have to use photo sharing (which degrades the quality by a shitton) or log on through a browser. Right now I'm using both Dropbox and iCloud Photo Library and just moving photos over to my iCloud storage with DB gets full.

I do like how much space it frees up, though, since the 6 Plus takes massive photos and I'm only working with 16gb. Videos, though, still take up an asinine amount of space but that's understandable for 1080p/60fps.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

empty baggie posted:

They don't email to me at all, but I only have them enabled for iCloud. I also have a few notes that are only stored on my phone and are not tied to any email account, but honestly I'm not sure how I managed to do that.

E: Notes preferences, you can set the default account to "On My iPhone", and they will just be stored on your phone.

Yeah I'm looking at notes preferences right now and that isn't an option. :argh:

The only option is "Default Account" and the only choices are my work email or my personal email.
Settings -> Notes, right?

Seriously garbage software, just going to download a small 3rd party notes app, manually copy all my notes, and then delete this app.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I'm looking at notes preferences right now and that isn't an option. :argh:

The only option is "Default Account" and the only choices are my work email or my personal email.

Seriously garbage software, just going to download a small 3rd party notes app, manually copy all my notes, and then delete this app.

You have notes disabled for every account under Mail, Contacts, and Calendars and you're still getting the notes sent to you?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Zaphod42 posted:

Have fun deleting an app you can't delete. Apple does make some dumb design decisions but you're sperging pretty drat hard right now across multiple threads about your hatred of Notes.app.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RhoA posted:

You have notes disabled for every account under Mail, Contacts, and Calendars and you're still getting the notes sent to you?

No. Let me explain again then :doh:

Under Settings -> Notes you have only one option. "Default Account". That is the sole option of the notes settings screen.

The only options I have are my work gmail or my personal gmail. I have to choose one. I can only choose one.

Under Settings -> Mail, Contacts, and Calendars I have Accounts, and for each account you can slide the Notes app on or off.
If I attempt to turn it off for any email account, it tells me that doing so will delete all my notes. And I won't be able to write notes without associating to at least one account.
if I attempt to turn it on for iCloud then it tells me that I need to set up an iCloud email account so it can email the notes to my iCloud email.

I don't want it emailed anywhere. That shouldn't be nearly this hard.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Under Settings -> Notes you have only one option. "Default Account". That is the sole option of the notes settings screen.

The only options I have are my work gmail or my personal gmail. I have to choose one. I can only choose one.

Under Settings -> Mail, Contacts, and Calendars I have Accounts, and for each account you can slide the Notes app on or off.
If I attempt to turn it off for any email account, it tells me that doing so will delete all my notes. And I won't be able to write notes without associating to at least one account.
if I attempt to turn it on for iCloud then it tells me that I need to set up an iCloud email account so it can email the notes to my iCloud email.

Yeah, I'd just download Simplenote and cram Notes.app in a folder that you don't use. I would have probably just turned off the notes associated with the email account and started over, but I don't have anything seriously important written in Notes.app given that there's no password protection on it whatsoever.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

Sounds like when you initially set up your account you had it set to sync notes and never realized it. Now if you want to disassociate the account it's attached to it has to delete all the current notes in order to sync.

Pay attention next time you're setting up an account on your phone.

EDIT: The thing about not being able to write notes without associating an account doesn't make any sense.

coldplay chiptunes fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 9, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pay attention next time you're setting up an account on your phone.

:rolleyes: Sorry Dad.

Seriously dude I payed attention and it was a simple notes app. I didn't set up anything related to sync. It doesn't help that I started using this app like 3 OS versions ago and its gone through several updates, which probably added additional settings and possibly picked the wrong defaults.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

EDIT: The thing about not being able to write notes without associating an account doesn't make any sense.

You can write notes without associating it with an account. I'm not sure why that warning would even come up when attempting to change the options.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

RhoA posted:

You can write notes without associating it with an account. I'm not sure why that warning would even come up when attempting to change the options.
According to him the only options in the Settings>Notes section for the default account are his email accounts, which is strange because the regular default account is "On My iPhone" and selecting this option would allow him to write notes without syncing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Just went and manually deleted all the notes, then removed notes from all my accounts.

Before the only options when I went to write a note were to pick one or the other, or to pick something like "all" which would create two notes each time.

Now "On My iPhone" is the sole option!

When I re-enable a gmail account, "on my iphone" goes away, which makes no sense. But at least after I deleted everything I'm allowed to, I just can't ever select one or the option to not select one goes away until I delete everything again.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

According to him the only options in the Settings>Notes section for the default account are his email accounts, which is strange because the regular default account is "On My iPhone" and selecting this option would allow him to write notes without syncing.

I don't have any other option besides "On My iPhone," but that may be because I always turn off sync notes when setting up my accounts. Either way, it seems that the best option is to go with a third party application if you're unwilling to lose your notes.

Zaphod42 posted:

Just went and manually deleted all the notes, then removed notes from all my accounts.

Before the only options when I went to write a note were to pick one or the other, or to pick something like "all" which would create two notes each time.

Now "On My iPhone" is the sole option!

When I re-enable a gmail account, "on my iphone" goes away, which makes no sense. But at least after I deleted everything I'm allowed to, I just can't ever select one or the option to not select one goes away until I delete everything again.

Oh, good. Hopefully that takes care of the syncing issues, which it should.

RhoA fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 9, 2015

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
You set up what email accounts you have your notes sync with in your email settings - toggle the "Notes" switch on or off for the relevant account.

The "default account" setting in the Notes settings just lets you pick which one of the potentially multiple email accounts you're syncing with is the default one.

If you don't want to sync with any, turn them all off in our email accounts settings.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Choadmaster posted:

You set up what email accounts you have your notes sync with in your email settings - toggle the "Notes" switch on or off for the relevant account.

The "default account" setting in the Notes settings just lets you pick which one of the potentially multiple email accounts you're syncing with is the default one.

If you don't want to sync with any, turn them all off in our email accounts settings.

Yeah thanks, we just figured that out :)

Its kinda dumb though that you have to choose between syncing all your notes or none of your notes, and its a hard switch that requires deleting all the notes to change. And it defaulted to syncing without me selecting so.

Heaven forbid that I want to sync one or two notes but not everything, Apple.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Rnr posted:

Cool cool. I assume you can flag certain albums or photos as ones that you'll want to keep stored on the device for offline viewing (ideally being able to flag it from the iPhone so I don't have to do any admin other than right after taking a pic)?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

The Notes app has a built in Share function where you can text/email/airdrop etc any particular note that you wanted to have available elsewhere.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah thanks, we just figured that out :)

Its kinda dumb though that you have to choose between syncing all your notes or none of your notes, and its a hard switch that requires deleting all the notes to change. And it defaulted to syncing without me selecting so.

I think for most people syncing all your notes to somewhere is the right way to go from a data loss perspective.

Unfortunately from what I remember back when notes were new (Snow leopard?) it's kind of a hack on top of IMAP, which is why they show up as mails in your gmail.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

Cool cool. I assume you can flag certain albums or photos as ones that you'll want to keep stored on the device for offline viewing (ideally being able to flag it from the iPhone so I don't have to do any admin other than right after taking a pic)?

What is this 'offline' you speak off? :) In all seriousness, you probably can, I just haven't had the need (probably albums and favorites will be kept locally full size? ).
NInja edit:

imore.com posted:

High-resolution pictures and video are prioritized behind the scenes, with specific groups of images — say, favorites and recently edited photographs — chosen to be stored locally.
Eh, seems to work well, but I like robot butlers doing the housekeeping for me, might not be for everyone.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MrBond posted:

I think for most people syncing all your notes to somewhere is the right way to go from a data loss perspective.

Unfortunately from what I remember back when notes were new (Snow leopard?) it's kind of a hack on top of IMAP, which is why they show up as mails in your gmail.

Yeah that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
The new emojis just show up as a white face version + a little picture of the alien face next to it to someone who hasn't updated.