Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
also the town had this pile of atleast 30 cop cars smashed into a single lump of car almost the size of my screen (i play with a tileset where the red and blue lights on top of the cop cars have their own tile so it is really easy to count the number of cars)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nftyw posted:

Take some of that Adderall you've been hoarding to boost your intellect so you don't accidentally confuse your intestine with the colon when CBM installing. Mistakes can be rather dreadful.

On the other hand, installing an enhanced digestive system in your butt and ending up with the ability to poop at mach 3 could potentially be very entertaining.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

So whats the Goon-Recommended version of this to play? The OP hasnt been updated in two years and I remember this game having half a dozen different builds.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=9757.0

i like the 0.C Cooper ( WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS NAME WHAT THE HELL) version because im lazy and cant be bothered to download nighly builds. pressing > and <to swap target does crash my game and sometimes destroy my save file so i had to stop doing that but besides that ive never had a single crash (RIP)

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Agean90 posted:

So whats the Goon-Recommended version of this to play? The OP hasnt been updated in two years and I remember this game having half a dozen different builds.

There are two real versions, the stable version and the experimental. The experimental has a few new features, the best one I've seen from the current experimental is running/stamina. Sometimes they are unstable or have unbalanced game play.

If you're trying to learn the game, the stable build 0.C is the best to play.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
How does running work, anyway? I can't find a command for it so I've just been walking away from things very briskly and occasionally throwing rocks at them..

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

How does running work, anyway? I can't find a command for it so I've just been walking away from things very briskly and occasionally throwing rocks at them..

It's the quote button - "

I had to look in the config file to find it.

There's a Run/Walk indicator and a stamina bar in your status area.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Is the experimental compatible with saves from 0.C? I wouldn't mind taking a peek at the new stuff but not if I lose my character who is currently in their 2nd year.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I almost wish there was a way to know if your character is gonna die to insane poo poo right away, cause then I wouldn't waste my time grinding skills before getting mulched immediately :suicide:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

To anyone considering trying a Burning Building start inside of a gun store: don't. Those things are big square boxes made of mostly windows and will immediately collapse on your head!! Shortest game ever.

Million Ghosts posted:

I almost wish there was a way to know if your character is gonna die to insane poo poo right away, cause then I wouldn't waste my time grinding skills before getting mulched immediately :suicide:

I usually make one or two reckless smash-and-grab runs through the edges of a city to see if I can get my hands on some decent poo poo. If I pull it off and live, great! Now I'll start grinding skills. If not, welp, it's not like I lost much time. This has the added advantage of letting me determine there's nothing seriously nasty in that area of town for future reference.

Funniest immediate mulching I had was probably when I started in a gun store, my allied NPC shot out the front windows and attracted a ton of zombies, I went over to help her fight, and then a Brute came through the loving wall out of nowhere and punched me clean through the opposite wall into the middle of a mob of undead. Welp!

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 10, 2015

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I think I found an entrance to a vault but I can't seem to actually get inside; there's some parked Hummers in the sewer, but it says that halfway down the stairs are all blocked...

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
That sounds like a vault alright. Maybe the mapgen hosed up and made the stairways go down into a wall or something. You might be able to mine a down staircase of your own and tunnel in manually if you can't use those stairs.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Wait, you can do that? Can I actually mine out my own Dwarf Fortress-esque bomb shelter in this game? :aaa:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Pretty sure you can now, but I haven't hosed about with it much so I'm not an expert.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

Wait, you can do that? Can I actually mine out my own Dwarf Fortress-esque bomb shelter in this game? :aaa:

Yeah. I've never tried it but I'm pretty sure you can build a generator and stuff down there too to get lights and a fridge and stuff.

The stairs take like 8 hours of game time, but with a jackhammer mining out the walls should be pretty quick.

acidia
Oct 31, 2012
The actual levels of the vault are only in the experimental.
Are you playing with static NPCs on?
I'm curious what you thought of the area, I haven't seen much discussion about it.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Oh so that's all there is to it in Stable? Good to know, I spent a long time looking for a way around. It wasn't really time wasted though because my characters zweihander spatters the sewerahnas in a single amusing blow every single time.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Wow, a stray bullet from about 20-30 tiles away from a friendly npc aimed at the zombie dog that I was fighting just took off 57 points of torso health and instantly killed me through a kevlar vest and kevlar and leather lined leather cloak, both reinforced. That has to be the biggest load of poo poo death I've had so far.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Firearms are pretty deadly when they connect. Armor helps but just as powerful bullets can stop huge monsters and zombies in their tracks, they can to you as well.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
you want armor with 100% coverage if you want to wade through machinegun fire or minefields.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Wow, a stray bullet from about 20-30 tiles away from a friendly npc aimed at the zombie dog that I was fighting just took off 57 points of torso health and instantly killed me through a kevlar vest and kevlar and leather lined leather cloak, both reinforced. That has to be the biggest load of poo poo death I've had so far.

Sounds like the NPC had a rifle. Try getting an MBR vest next time for dealing with the high powered rounds.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I just wanted to kill a dog. I didn't think I needed to protect against high powered rifles. :smith:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

treat all npcs as potentially deadly threats to your life, even your 'allies'

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

It doesn't help that NPCs can often be crazy tough, so if you get mugged and can't/aren't willing to give up all your poo poo, you might be in for a hell of an unpleasant fight.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Don't worry guys, I got my revenge sort of. I couldn't find the npc that did my last character in, but I did take out a bunch of other npc's with my mininuke from my old stash house which I tossed inside the refugee center. The survivors killed pretty easily, but I took most of the ones in the front lobby with me.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I have just found out that if you find an APC, and you have a hacksaw, a wrench, and level 2 mechanics, you can remove its browning M2 and get an absolute shitload of .50cal ammo regardless of the weapon's condition.

Hope you like handloading!

e: or you can get nothing, and I've just been stupidly lucky so far

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 11, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

And I just found out that a Muay Thai Black Belt with 14 strength/dexterity and a single point each in Melee and Unarmed (for a starting rank of 10) can annihilate loving near anything in close combat, as long as you maintain good mobility and are smart about how (and when) you engage your opponents. It's minmaxy as gently caress, but a great way to cruise around and learn more about the game.

Also, uppercutting Brutes so hard they die is loving rad.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Gonna try that. Havent played in forever and killing zombies with sickass flying knees like im in Ang Bok sounds like a good way to get back in the swing of things.

edit: within minutes i beat a mi-go to death with my bare hand, hp lovecraft protagonists are pussies

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 12, 2015

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Agean90 posted:

Gonna try that. Havent played in forever and killing zombies with sickass flying knees like im in Ang Bok sounds like a good way to get back in the swing of things.

edit: within minutes i beat a mi-go to death with my bare hand, hp lovecraft protagonists are pussies

Wait till you find a shoggoth - I found one in a lab, opened the cell and got my poo poo pushed in in one attack, with decent armour and full health.

I didn't realise the new experimental builds had an adaptive character sprite - it changes depending on what you wear and even based on your mutations. I spent a while just cheating in stuff and mutations to see what everything looked like. It's such a small thing but I'm really impressed and I hope it gets improved in future.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

PiCroft posted:

I didn't realise the new experimental builds had an adaptive character sprite - it changes depending on what you wear and even based on your mutations. I spent a while just cheating in stuff and mutations to see what everything looked like. It's such a small thing but I'm really impressed and I hope it gets improved in future.
For which tileset?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

AceRimmer posted:

For which tileset?

The default one - Chesthole I think its called. I haven't checked the other tilesets so i may not work with them?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Isometric tiles are also in the works to pair up with the new 3D re-work

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Isometric tiles are also in the works to pair up with the new 3D re-work

Oh man, I had no idea. that sounds awesome.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Shoggoths are just silly, even if you shoot em in the face with a shotgun they regenerate almost instantly. Also armor. My favorite way of dealing with them is to lead them into a slime trap since blobs are WAY less dangerous.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

PiCroft posted:

The default one - Chesthole I think its called. I haven't checked the other tilesets so i may not work with them?

RetroDays definitely does not, which is sad because it's the only tileset I can stand. Stuff like Chesthole and MShock might look "better" but they're waaaaay less readable at a glance.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Uh so what's the difference between dynamic and static spawn? I heard that static is better because you can actually permanently or semi-permanently clear out buildings and urban areas, right?

Also those guides back on 101 are handy but there's one thing wrong: You don't get a cutting weapon and you're far from guaranteed to even find one in an evac shelter basement, forcing you to go into town what with the horde waiting for you.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
A lot changed since the old days where you'd always have a knife, some character types start you with a pocket knife or other cutting tool and others don't, depending on the situation it could be somewhat simple to break a window and make a crude knife out of a few rocks and some disassembled string. I start out in labs almost all the time now, which means I don't get a knife but with lots of operating table areas and resources around it's not hard to get something that can be used to cut stuff with.

Static is a lot less intense than the old dynamic worlds, but I find that dynamic spawn still doesn't make things appear nearly as often as it used to, with wildlife always wandering around falling into the chasm you dug around your base. The way static works nowdays, you can clear out an area of zombies and that's that, you can squat in a place for basically forever, as long as you have the provisions to survive there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

I have just found out that if you find an APC, and you have a hacksaw, a wrench, and level 2 mechanics, you can remove its browning M2 and get an absolute shitload of .50cal ammo regardless of the weapon's condition.

Hope you like handloading!

e: or you can get nothing, and I've just been stupidly lucky so far

It isn't universal, but yes, vehicles with M2 brownings will sometimes have a nice stash of 50-100 rounds of .50 AP ball ammo.

I don't, however, know if it's suitable for anything but M2s. It might not be the same .50 that rifles take.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Man who cares if you can't use it? That's like 5000-10000 units of gunpowder and lead right there.

Although I'm quite sure there's an m2 conversion recipe into a single-shot sniper rifle; had it on my previous character, but can't seem to find it on my current one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
I'm doing my best to follow the 101 guides but man, this game is excruciatingly tough and all my games have me dying outside my shelter or just nearby. I've been doing static spawns and no matter where I go there are zombies or wildlife ready to kill me, all because I just need a knife to level up the first batch of skills. Even the passive spawn begins taking on things like smokers and giant mosquitoes and crap like that very quickly. And it's ALWAYS RAINING OR SNOWING NO MATTER WHAT TIME I START so cue the immediate freezing and whatnot. What on earth is up with that? How in the hell do people manage?

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 12, 2015