Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's kinda weird that the PC release doesn't just come on one or two Blu-Rays but I guess there's enough people still cheaping the gently caress out on their gaming rigs in the strangest by way by only having a DVD drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's kinda weird that the PC release doesn't just come on one or two Blu-Rays but I guess there's enough people still cheaping the gently caress out on their gaming rigs in the strangest by way by only having a DVD drive.

Lots of gaming rigs don't have an optical drive at all anymore. And without games on Blu-Ray there's no point to a Blu-Ray drive because you need lovely expensive proprietary software to watch movies on those.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gasoline posted:

Lots of gaming rigs don't have an optical drive at all anymore. And without games on Blu-Ray there's no point to a Blu-Ray drive because you need lovely expensive proprietary software to watch movies on those.

Yeah but if you don't got an optical drive at all the DVD release is equally worthless to you. If you're buying an optical drive at all, I don't see why not spend the extra 8 bucks on a Blu-Ray drive+DVD burner compared to a barebones DVD burner.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I usually say gently caress no to the daily objectives but what's all this riff-raff about them carry over bonuses?

Beastie fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 9, 2015

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I bought a bd burner for my last pc build then for some reason no disc would boot off it so I had to put in a dvd drive as well which was free so not a big deal. I've used the bd burner to watch movies a handful of times and to burn anything zero times. This was 2 years ago.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Beastie posted:

I usually say gently caress no to the daily objectives but what's all this riff-raft about them carry over bonuses?

For seven consecutive days, you get an extra:
$100,000
15,000 RP

For 28 consecutive days you get an extra:
$500,000
50,000 RP

And seperately:
Your 10th completed activity has a $10,000 bonus
Your 20th completed activity has a $20,000 bonus
Your 50th completed activity has a $50,000 bonus
Your 100th completed activity has a $100,000 bonus

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Keep in mind you'll end up with 2 lovely daily objectives that suck and take a lot of time and you'll say gently caress it and miss them and reset your progress.

Find some daily buddies and help each other out, you can do basically everything (in an absolute fraction of the time vs trying to join public poo poo) with 2 people.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pleads posted:

Keep in mind you'll end up with 2 lovely daily objectives that suck and take a lot of time and you'll say gently caress it and miss them and reset your progress.

Find some daily buddies and help each other out, you can do basically everything (in an absolute fraction of the time vs trying to join public poo poo) with 2 people.

Also be aware that the average pubbie is even dumber than you think they'll be.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pleads posted:

I encountered that yesterday, one was to complete a bounty and the other was to "bribe the cops then cause havoc" which never popped.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I encountered that yesterday, one was to complete a bounty and the other was to "bribe the cops then cause havoc" which never popped.

The havoc one requires you to do a lot of damage, dozen or more destroyed cars after using lesters bribe the cops ability. Lots of destroyed cars and killed people.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
A pubby joined a heist mission with a $9000 bounty. Ordinarily I refrain from shooting people once we all spawn somewhere after a mission, but he was particularly useless, so...

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

A pubby joined a heist mission with a $9000 bounty. Ordinarily I refrain from shooting people once we all spawn somewhere after a mission, but he was particularly useless, so...

Wait, was this the Pacific... the boat heist mission with the crazy man?

If it was, he respawned farther up the road. He stayed shooting at me when I done past, so I killed him. Again.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Haha, indeed it was

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
TBH I've had pubbies kill me so many times after missions that more often than not I'm the one who starts the shooting.

edit: totally preemptively of course...

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I had an amazing joy with pubbies this morning. I had to do a 1v1 dm and so I used my friend's ps4 to be afk, kill me, then start it up. Now to preface this; I was in paleto bay with absolutely no one around. The second I started that DM at least 4 people from the airport rushed to our location just to grief us, since there is no dots preset during a 1v1, and they were on a mission to make sure I wasn't going to get an easy 5 kills on my afk alt account.

It is poo poo like this that really makes the game, not fun. Why the gently caress can't the 2 people be invulnerable to other people, sort of a passive mode, so other people don't even bother loving with them.

I must applaud the pubs, they sure know how to grief me, first thing in the morning.

edit; Alternative thought, just not have lovely loving dailies, like 1v1 DM. TDM I can at least instance the two accounts and not be bothered with some menial crap task. I guess the bigger picture, if they weren't so drat fast and easy (typically) I probably wouldn't do it, since there is no trophy associated with them.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 10, 2015

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
got bored, decided to load up GTA:O for the first time. Got to rank 4, was sticking up a gas station, pop the attendant, get in my car. Get teleported to top of one of the mountains, a ton of cash starts dropping from the sky. Stay in car, get text telling me to pick up cash, reply "IM A STRONG, INDEPENDANT LONE WOLF WHO DON'T NEED NO CHEATS" in broken sms speak, car gets despawned, more cash drops on me plus a few rifles. Receive text back, "whatever nerd", get tp'd to the center of LS, car spawns next to me.

so these are the cheats you guys talk about lmao

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Luna Was Here posted:

got bored, decided to load up GTA:O for the first time. Got to rank 4, was sticking up a gas station, pop the attendant, get in my car. Get teleported to top of one of the mountains, a ton of cash starts dropping from the sky. Stay in car, get text telling me to pick up cash, reply "IM A STRONG, INDEPENDANT LONE WOLF WHO DON'T NEED NO CHEATS" in broken sms speak, car gets despawned, more cash drops on me plus a few rifles. Receive text back, "whatever nerd", get tp'd to the center of LS, car spawns next to me.

so these are the cheats you guys talk about lmao

So you have a PS3, huh?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Nintendo Kid posted:

So you have a PS3, huh?

up until monday when PC version unlocks :rip:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's weird, over on the 360 I never experience nearly the level of weird hacks as went on and continues to go on on PS3. Most we really ever had was people managing to trigger invincibility, and the whole thing last year where you could use a custom DNS server to load a variables files that let you have 5000x multipliers on RP and cash.

You might as well try to keep getting cash from hackers on the PS3, you'll probably be allowed to transfer it forward to the PC version.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

You might as well try to keep getting cash from hackers on the PS3, you'll probably be allowed to transfer it forward to the PC version.

I get the feeling there won't be any shortage of hackers making it rain on PC, either.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
i probably would but i just can't be bothered, all i really want is to rank up so i can actually spend my money but there are no players on the PS3 aside from the people who have logged 100's of hours, who can and will and always do, gun me down while they're still a speck on my screen since i can't get a decent rifle until like rank 15.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Luna Was Here posted:

i probably would but i just can't be bothered, all i really want is to rank up so i can actually spend my money but there are no players on the PS3 aside from the people who have logged 100's of hours, who can and will and always do, gun me down while they're still a speck on my screen since i can't get a decent rifle until like rank 15.

The special carbine is one of the best rifles, and you can buy it now.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Why did I look like this is this hacking too

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Luna Was Here posted:

This sort of things happens in multiplayer communities all the time. You do know this right? It is kind of the only reason to buy a mp centered game around launch. Now granted I know GTAO didn't launch until Ocotober, but I think it goes without saying that was like forever ago still.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Scyron posted:

This sort of things happens in multiplayer communities all the time. You do know this right? It is kind of the only reason to buy a mp centered game around launch. Now granted I know GTAO didn't launch until Ocotober, but I think it goes without saying that was like forever ago still.

i played during launch and it was like that right out of the gate anyways, especially since then your progress was gated by whether or not R* lost your character and just how fast you got the Meth'd Up mission and then just grinded that for hours

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Maytag posted:

Did you turn into a giant ufo as well

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Luna Was Here posted:

i played during launch and it was like that right out of the gate anyways, especially since then your progress was gated by whether or not R* lost your character and just how fast you got the Meth'd Up mission and then just grinded that for hours

Yeah, it was way easier to rank up and earn money when the game first released due to all the glitches and exploits and the fact that you could quick restart missions.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I've never done methed out, like literally. It was all about the sellegy glitch for money. But that was after I got 100, and did another sort of exploit. I was motivated by some stupid OCD to get 100% trophies, so level 100 was stupid grindy, however having played as much as I did, even after that point, I don't think it is unreasonable that I wouldn't gotten there on my own.

The thing is, just play and have fun, and you will get a lot of RP. Money is a bit harder, since it costs money to make money in a lot of cases. (bounties) but you are able to get some good RP bonuses from say killing 25 bounties for a challenge that rewards some bonus RP per, plus the regular RP for killing a player, minus the cost of; ammo, explosives, pegasus cost, or death.

edit; I guess what I am saying is that GTA is math, in a stupid way. Fun math :)

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Maytag posted:

no that's the new heist.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
What's the mission where you go to the top of a skyscraper and have to kill a bunch of mafiosos to take their briefcase?

I remember trying to solo it without a helicopter. I climbed up the crane nearby which takes literally two minutes on foot, tried to shoot as many fuckers as I could with hardly any cover, and then realised that the only way across was to carefully inch my way across the scaffolding and make a leap of faith to get across.

I readied myself for the journey, put myself in a position to hop to the top of the crane, took a step back and... fell down the hole where the ladder was. It took about half a minute to hit the floor after about 10 minutes of progress. I had to laugh.

en1125
Jul 3, 2006
I have a very specific goal...and that is to have no goals.

Luna Was Here posted:

If you load into an invite only session you don't have to worry about other players killing you. then you can grind missions to lvl up. Also an invite only lobby loads way faster than a public. Im lvl 265 and I still do this when I just want to grind for cash since it is faster.

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002

Songbearer posted:

. It took about half a minute to hit the floor after about 10 minutes of progress. I had to laugh.

It's not just me!!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Is anybody free within the next hour to come on and have an impromptu race with me? Last objective for the day and I've been going for about two weeks so I don't want to lose it!

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Orv posted:

Esroc, if you read this, I would have added you after shiving you and leaving you in a ditch but the PS4 met players functionality is questionable at best. :smith:

Ha ha, I just discovered this post and had no idea you were a goon. I just figured you were a pubbie who got bored of joyriding and decided to put an end to it violently.

I need to get a headset.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I figured it was rude to leave another goon by just vanishing, but I didn't know if there was an emote system. Knives are emotive, kinda.

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008

thehustler posted:

Is anybody free within the next hour to come on and have an impromptu race with me? Last objective for the day and I've been going for about two weeks so I don't want to lose it!

What system? I'm on the Xbone as Abilifier.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So... a mission kind of got weird. Was doing the titan mission for Lester, and then my two partners kind of disconnected. When we were in the air. And I didn't think to jump out of the now-rapidly descending airplane.

That was fun.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Abilifier posted:

What system? I'm on the Xbone as Abilifier.

Good point. PS3, oh well!

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
The custom player created levels often require knowledge of some kind of physics glitch to climb up onto something (usually a cargo container) that you normally can't climb. But try as I might I can't figure out how the hell people do it, which usually means I'm the scrub left running around the arena while most everyone else gets a weapon. How the hell does it work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Esroc posted:

The custom player created levels often require knowledge of some kind of physics glitch to climb up onto something (usually a cargo container) that you normally can't climb. But try as I might I can't figure out how the hell people do it, which usually means I'm the scrub left running around the arena while most everyone else gets a weapon. How the hell does it work?

It used to be simple. Basically place a container, then edit it again and suddenly you could stack them and delete the container underneath it.

I've spent a lot of time in the creator and never have gotten it to work

• Locked thread