Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Davzz posted:

The conspiracy theory is that they wanted something with Gen Urobachi's name on it because he has a devoted following and that adds a handful of sales. And since they can't exactly add Fate/Zero or Kamen Rider Gaim... on a "practical" note, it was probably chosen exactly because it wouldn't affect much and isn't much of a commitment.

They totally could've added Madoka Titus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hahahaha the googly eyes on caster mech

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Davzz posted:

(Though Z2 had quite a bit of potential to be turned into a standalone if you ask me and probably wouldn't suffered much from doing so.)

Z2 was basically built on series with major timeskips, so splitting the game in half like that actually made sense. They didn't do much with the concept (instead of the poo poo hitting the fan at the end of Destruction, it all happens at the beginning of Regeneration), but still.

Now Z3, on the other hand... uh? I guess I'd call it Weird Decisions: The Game.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Tae posted:

Having seen the latest Xenoblade Chronicles X mech art, I want them in SRW so much. They are the right kind of cool transformers that are also still military-like.

Only if Metal Slader Glory, Joy Mech Fight, Custom Robo, and Chou Soujuu Mecha MG get in :colbert:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Fate Stay Stories owns superhard.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Just give us Fafner Exodus ... in probably the year 2018 :(

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
For what it's worth, I'm enjoying Tengoku substantially more than I did Jigoku or Saisei so far, but that might be because I don't have to wait for the entire drat game to get the units I actually want to use consistently and it feels like the skill points in Tengoku are at least making an attempt to be remotely challenging on some level(though not really since it's a modern SRW game). Some things I would change, though:

• Holy gently caress, bring back the TRI system. The TRI system was the best platoon system they ever had and was a great compromise between the "field your entire army at once" clusterfuck of Alpha 2/3 platoons and Jigoku/Tengoku's "well guess 3/4 of my playable units are benched" partner system. It also gave another niche for units to be good at by specializing in TRI attacks. Tengoku is especially agonizing about this because you get like your entire endgame Jigoku roster by stage 30 and then they keep adding new units which means that unless you play through the game several times you're going to end up with a shitload of benchwarmers and it becomes very hard to justify the existence of people like Katz and Emma.
  • Stop doing these dumb single-protagonist-spread-across-two-full-games-deals. I'm not riotously sick of Hibiki in Tengoku like I was of Crowe in Saisei but seriously it should be new game = new original.
  • Mix up the route splits a little bit and try to cut them down into two way splits instead of three way splits. I know they're trying not to bone people who like focusing on a couple of series, but it's a little boring that almost every single route split in both Z3 is Super Robots Fight Super Robot Villains Route, Gundams Play G Generation Route, or Chirico/Mithril/Black Knights Fight Amalgam And Whatever Terrible VOTOMs OVA Enemy Of The Day Is This Time Route. Z3 is really good on cross series interactions but the route splits are really bad about it because they tend to segregate groups in the same way every time.

On an unrelated note, I'm fairly certain that pre-upgrade Genion is mechanically the weakest and shittiest original we've had in aeons. GAI Mode from the getgo does a lot to salvage how terrible it is but MAN is it excessively weak in its normal form.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 9, 2015

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Conversely, things I wouldn't change:

The Gundam DX Satellite System.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hokuto posted:

Conversely, things I wouldn't change:

The Gundam DX Satellite System.

This is the first game they've ever gotten the Satellite System right from a game mechanics perspective and I hope they stick with the way it works in Tengoku from now on.

vvv I got pretty amped when he got his new attack but it just turned out to be basically the same power as his previous lovely final attack so I shrugged, watched the animation once, and moved on. It's pretty mediocre at both dodging and taking hits and its damage output is extremely subpar compared to basically any other real robot on your roster. GAI Mode makes it fairly beastly, at least, so once Basara's back on board its problems mostly fade into the background. vvv

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nah, Geneon isn't that bad. It's a solid all-rounder that goes super saiyan to gently caress poo poo up when you actually get to the boss.

It gets crappy for a while when you lose your co-pilot but that's a real short period before it gets two separate upgrades to keep it more viable.

Kanos posted:

This is the first game they've ever gotten the Satellite System right from a game mechanics perspective and I hope they stick with the way it works in Tengoku from now on.

To be fair it's still lovely.

It's nowhere as lovely as it was being having only one shot of your big gun really hurts when you've got stuff around that is almost as good or better without the limitations. I deployed Garrod because it's usable now but he's still by and far away the worst of the non-UC Gundam units.

If they want to give it one shot (and one non-ALL shot for that matter) they really need to up its damage more. It should be the most damaging attack available or close to it.

Edit: Okay, I forgot about Wing. Sandrock and the Tauruses suck worse.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 9, 2015

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It's nowhere as lovely as it was being having only one shot of your big gun really hurts when you've got stuff around that is almost as good or better without the limitations. I deployed Garrod because it's usable now but he's still by and far away the worst of the non-UC Gundam units.

Oh good you made that edit.

Also not having an all attack is you know better since it's actually usable against bosses as support attack. Not having an ALL attack entirely is a problem though.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 9, 2015

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sandrock is an incredibly great unit, though, just not as a front seater. He's got a massively damaging assist attack with good range that is infinitely spammable, is a wall of armor with a million support defenses with good mobility so you don't ever need to waste SP on keeping him alive against heavy fire, and is also an EN supply unit with Bless. I'd rather launch Sandrock in the backseat of a unit than like 90% of the cast. About the only thing he's missing to be utterly perfect as a support unit in every respect is Accelerate and/or Awaken.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 9, 2015

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Kanos posted:

He's got a massively damaging assist attack with good range that is infinitely spammable

Eh its ok. Jesta has a better one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Oh good you made that edit.

Also not having an all attack is you know better since it's actually usable against bosses as support attack. Not having an ALL attack entirely is a problem though.

ALL attacks aren't limited by Maximum Break though and if you're pounding a boss that is what you're probably using. Not to mention that with one shot if you're using Satellite Cannon Garrod should probably be the lead so he can spell-boost it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lostconfused posted:

Eh its ok. Jesta has a better one.

Sandrock's isn't the strongest in the game(that title would almost assuredly go to Yoko or Banjou due to their LL size stacking on top of already high powered assists), but it's quite good and combines with the rest of the unit's qualities to give it a really good niche.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Davzz posted:

I got a feeling that Voice Acting was a major hurdle for localizing OGs. The low sales of the localized ones doesn't help even with the excuse of "they were poorly marketed", and I think I've read that Atlus said that working with Banpresto on translation was not a pleasant experience that they weren't rushing to try again if the opportunity arose, but that might be hearsay.

I'm calling BS on that now, they localized and released Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn without adding English voice acting, and while SRW is a lot more text, you can't tell me that 2nd OGs wouldn't sell just as well as that digitally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

I'm calling BS on that now, they localized and released Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn without adding English voice acting, and while SRW is a lot more text, you can't tell me that 2nd OGs wouldn't sell just as well as that digitally.

It wouldn't.

Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn has the benefit of having Musou fans who will buy any Musou game and Gundam fans who will buy a licensed game. Gundam isn't a big name in the US but it's still a name and still has a number of fans who will purchase it based off the brand.

OG2nd has neither of those. It's the 4th game in a subfranchise whose only previously releases were on the GBA and sold poorly and which plot-wise references two remakes with altered plots that never got a US release, a game that never got any form of US release, and direct references to a number of games which never got a US release.

I mean the entire first quarter of OG2nd is a direct Masoukishin storyline, so it involves not only these characters but a trip to another game series that also never got localized!

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 9, 2015

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

ALL attacks aren't limited by Maximum Break though and if you're pounding a boss that is what you're probably using. Not to mention that with one shot if you're using Satellite Cannon Garrod should probably be the lead so he can spell-boost it.
I want that 2xPP, does maximum break allow for suppor attack to be ALL as well though? Because Crowe's finisher so far being ALL is incredibly annoying.

Kanos posted:

Sandrock's isn't the strongest in the game(that title would almost assuredly go to Yoko or Banjou due to their LL size stacking on top of already high powered assists), but it's quite good and combines with the rest of the unit's qualities to give it a really good niche.
Sure but almost everything and everyone has a niche. Chamber's assist attack is a ridiculously high 5600 (max damage upgrade), it's really a matter of if just making a character/suit work for you.

The one thing I haven't figured out what to do with is Nono.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

I want that 2xPP, does maximum break allow for suppor attack to be ALL as well though? Because Crowe's finisher so far being ALL is incredibly annoying.

Yes. Maximum Break allows for your support to be ALL too. You can abuse this to finish two squads off in one turn if you really need to by having both characters ALL.

Edit: Also 2xPP really isn't worth it. The game throws PP at you even before you get one of the multiple items that stacks double PP. I was out of stuff to spend PP on after a while beyond boosting unnecessary stats to 400.

Lostconfused posted:

The one thing I haven't figured out what to do with is Nono.

Nono becomes an absurdly strong support character once she hits Buster Machine 7. Her only post-move attack is a bit too high-energy to use regularly but she works fantastic as a support unit and Inazuma Kick does gangbusters as a Maximum Break support.

Diebuster is basically a giant brick wall of death with an absurd MAP attack.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 9, 2015

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I have to agree with the sentiment that Z1 was the best of this series. It had a great mix of old and new entries, good variety in their settings (more traditional SRW setting of UC Gundam with Dynamic Pro dudes, post-apocalypse Xabungle/Turn-A/Gainer, etc), a great excuse to mash drastically differing series together with Orguss, the huge jump in animation quality, it really was the perfect storm.

I liked Z2.1 as well, mostly due to how it handled some of its new entries, but that was the last SRW game I actually did multiple playthroughs of. I wasn't as big a fan of Z2.2 and only cleared it once, and I haven't even finished Z3.1 yet. I think a lot of it has to do with how they handled the roster after Z2.1. And I guess I'm still trying to cope with the realization that '70s Dynamic Production guys are probably never going to be utilized again, which despite their inclusion in the majority of SRW games were my favorite entries in general.

Like I'm probably one of maybe two or three western SRW fans that gets excited about having a '70s or early '80s super robot show as an entrant but they were the biggest reason I got interested in both SRW The Game Series and goofy robot anime in general.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 9, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Never stop using maximum break and attack again. They are the sanity keepers of the game.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Mercury Crusader posted:

And I guess I'm still trying to cope with the realization that '70s Dynamic Production guys are probably never going to be utilized again, which despite their inclusion in the majority of SRW games were my favorite entries in general.

This is my reason for preferring Z1. RIP Grendizer. :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It wouldn't.

Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn has the benefit of having Musou fans who will buy any Musou game and Gundam fans who will buy a licensed game. Gundam isn't a big name in the US but it's still a name and still has a number of fans who will purchase it based off the brand.

OG2nd has neither of those. It's the 4th game in a subfranchise whose only previously releases were on the GBA and sold poorly and which plot-wise references two remakes with altered plots that never got a US release, a game that never got any form of US release, and direct references to a number of games which never got a US release.

I mean the entire first quarter of OG2nd is a direct Masoukishin storyline, so it involves not only these characters but a trip to another game series that also never got localized!
also OGs has like one hundred times the text of Reborn.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Never stop using maximum break and attack again. They are the sanity keepers of the game.

This is the big problem with the Tag system.

Those two abilities far eclipse everything. +5 movement is nice for some skill points but being able to act again or do significantly increased damage is so absurdly powerful that the other bonuses don't matter. Especially since the game throws so many resources at you that Z-Chips and PP will be a non-issue.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Hokuto posted:

This is my reason for preferring Z1. RIP Grendizer. :(

The sad thing is that Grendizer was the least-utilized out of the four. They put so much love into Grendizer's animations in Z1 and we'll probably never see it again. :(

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, the game portrait rips are out. Have everything that bounces around in Gunleon's cockpit.

The trucker hat does not surprise me in the least. Still want that Gunleon plushie.

However, this particular portrait is a definite surprise.

Rascyc posted:

Never stop using maximum break
Addendum: If you're going to give Maximum Break its own BGM, at least make a good one and not something that gets dull and boring after 5 minutes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

However, this particular portrait is a definite surprise.

Esther wakes up later in the game and is on viewscreen for the attack she unlocks.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lostconfused posted:

Sure but almost everything and everyone has a niche. Chamber's assist attack is a ridiculously high 5600 (max damage upgrade), it's really a matter of if just making a character/suit work for you.

The thing about the Z3 games is that they don't seem to actually be balanced with upgrades in mind so you can pretty much make anyone good at anything if you max them.

This is incidentally another reason why Z1 was the best in the series, because that game was designed in such a way that the skill points were still actually somewhat challenging even if you were maxing all your dudes and minmaxing pilot points, something which every subsequent game in the series has failed utterly to do(spectacularly, in Saisei's case, it being the easiest SRW in the entire franchise).

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Broken Loose posted:

Why couldn't it have been Godannar? Debuted around the same time, better units, better attacks, better music, better jokes, better cast, and more honest-to-god supers.

I don't hate Nova or anything but yeah, more Godannar please.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Esther wakes up later in the game and is on viewscreen for the attack she unlocks.
Yes, but that's not the portrait she uses during the attack (which is this one and its glorious three frames of lip flaps). The one I posted seems to be an unused one.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

AradoBalanga posted:

So, the game portrait rips are out. Have everything that bounces around in Gunleon's cockpit.

The trucker hat does not surprise me in the least. Still want that Gunleon plushie.

Where would I find the portrait rips?

Also what the heck is that little red thing?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Light Gun Man posted:

I don't hate Nova or anything but yeah, more Godannar please.

Godannar?! Gimme more Gun x Sword, drat it!

That series is too good to be on K and nowhere else!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Also 2xPP really isn't worth it. The game throws PP at you even before you get one of the multiple items that stacks double PP. I was out of stuff to spend PP on after a while beyond boosting unnecessary stats to 400.
The game throws quiet a lot of thigs at you like lvl 75 enemies. Hibiki already hit lvl 68 and I am only on stage 24. Still I think I would prefer a single target finisher unless the new single attack skill makes a tangible difference.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Prism posted:

Where would I find the portrait rips?

Also what the heck is that little red thing?
Mechanical Saviour has them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

The game throws quiet a lot of thigs at you like lvl 75 enemies. Hibiki already hit lvl 68 and I am only on stage 24. Still I think I would prefer a single target finisher unless the new single attack skill makes a tangible difference.

The problem is that an ALL attack can do almost everything a single-target can but a single target can't do what an ALL can. It's not a big issue when you have multiple shots but when you have one shot ala the DX then it becomes a problem since the only things that a single-target move does better are things you wouldn't use the Satellite Cannon for.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I still think the problem here is more that DX doesn't have an ALL attack like Wing Zero last game. A mistake they decided to fix and repeat at the same time. The 1 turn charge does make things somewhat bearable though, you are free to use it during enemy phase to counter attack and get the charge back at the start of the next phase.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

The game decided to throw a lot of high level enemies my way, and since XP gains seem to be fixed or capped there didn't seem to be a good reason to spread it around. So all of them got fed to the lead OG.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 9, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Lostconfused posted:

Wait you're in the 60s only half way through the game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Wait you're in the 60s only half way through the game?

The early part of the game has some high-level enemies and if you abuse Gain you can get some absurd levels off them. You're supposed to avoid/run from them but it isn't necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

You're supposed to avoid/run from them but it isn't necessary.

それがどうした。

It's more fun if you don't.

• Locked thread