Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Enemy spawns are based entirely off your max health. More health = stronger more difficult incredibly cheap rear end in a top hat enemies.

That pretty much tells you everything you need to know about the difficulty curve of the game.

Pretty sure its not a curve as much as it is a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ivan is great because it's pretty upfront about wanting you to die

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You mean porcupines that reflect damage before you have a weapon, zombies that can give you leprosy and cause your limbs to pop off, and continuously generating carnivorous plants that get harder as time progresses in the third level is not a friendly shakedown? :v:

Considering that the correct way to play is to subvert the system or spend a tedious amount of time carefully building up your stats. Then a stray mistress casually slices off your head with a whip or a hidden mine blowing off your groin in a catastrophic chain explosion and you're back to where you started.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
There's a area in the mid-game (I say because I've never gotten much farther) called the Dwarven Minefield, which is notable because it places a good number of fairly high-tier items in a place littered with, naturally, dwarven mines. These mines are powerful enough that stepping on one will almost always end your game, whether due to the explosion blowing your groin off or due to the explosion causing your wands to break, causing further explosions.

The best way to go through the Dwarven Minefield is to take one step, spend 25 turns mashing the search key, then take another step. At one pointwhile I was clearing it out a dwarven kamikaze warrior spawned and started chasing me. I forget how it ended, but all of my limbs being blown off was definitely part of my death log.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Isn't the real best way to do that getting the belt of levitation from the sumo match?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
You're totally right. I think I only found out about the guaranteed belt of levitation after I stopped playing.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

My favorite part about IVAN are the veteran kamikaze dwarfs:

code:
A god that had become mad enough at you may deploy veteran suicide bombers - 
reborn kamikaze dwarves carrying an increased amount of explosives...
Chance of being invisible past 30 in-game days, always invisible after day 50.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 8, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Someone should do an IVAN LP.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Floodkiller posted:

veteran kamikaze dwarfs

IVAN has always sounded like a fevered nightmare's version of a game, but this is just ridiculous beyond that

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Seiren started an LP of it back in 2008 but only posted a half dozen updates http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2809301 The images are long gone.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
Subverting the game and not playing by its rules was a giant part of it.

I remember getting a bunch of I think either glass shards or banana peals, and then deploying food for the sumo wrestler to eat, until one of his legs fell off.

then I challenged him to a match and easily won. easy belt of levitation.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Edwhirl posted:

Subverting the game and not playing by its rules was a giant part of it.

I remember getting a bunch of I think either glass shards or banana peals, and then deploying food for the sumo wrestler to eat, until one of his legs fell off.

then I challenged him to a match and easily won. easy belt of levitation.
Probably broken bottles, I think the banana peels would have him damage random body parts and might kill him.

Also I will have to remember that the next time I feel like playing the game, I could never figure out how to reliably beat him.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Zereth posted:

Probably broken bottles, I think the banana peels would have him damage random body parts and might kill him.

Also I will have to remember that the next time I feel like playing the game, I could never figure out how to reliably beat him.

Don't kill the plants next to the big plant in the room with him that aren't adjacent to you when you step in through the door. After the big plant is dead, take off your gloves and weapon and fist fight the remaining plants. By the time you kill them all (they shouldn't be able to hurt you much if at all if you didn't get unlucky with armor drops) you will have high unarmed skill and have a much better chance against the sumo wrestler.

You can also haste yourself (wand / one of the chaos gods) which you will keep in the fight.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
One day, somebody is going to be crazy enough to somehow code up an IVAN playing bot in the fine tradition of such endeavors for Angband and whatnot---I can barely imagine the obtuse lengths such a bot would take en route to learning how best to actually succeed in the game.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

ExiledTinkerer posted:

One day, somebody is going to be crazy enough to somehow code up an IVAN playing bot in the fine tradition of such endeavors for Angband and whatnot---I can barely imagine the obtuse lengths such a bot would take en route to learning how best to actually succeed in the game.

If secondary branches aren't used and all the 0.5 bugs are still in play, I'd imagine we'd see a bot eternally vomiting on itself while eating a treasure chest made of earwax and praying to Satan, who was delighted by all of its vomiting.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

RoboCicero posted:

There's a area in the mid-game (I say because I've never gotten much farther) called the Dwarven Minefield, which is notable because it places a good number of fairly high-tier items in a place littered with, naturally, dwarven mines. These mines are powerful enough that stepping on one will almost always end your game, whether due to the explosion blowing your groin off or due to the explosion causing your wands to break, causing further explosions.

The best way to go through the Dwarven Minefield is to take one step, spend 25 turns mashing the search key, then take another step. At one pointwhile I was clearing it out a dwarven kamikaze warrior spawned and started chasing me. I forget how it ended, but all of my limbs being blown off was definitely part of my death log.

The best way if you don't have a Belt of Levitation yet is to get two units of fire resistance and preferably a ring of searching, then put all of your breakables in chests and strongboxes. Then you'll resist the explosions and won't have chain reactions.

I forget what material the mines were made of, but I'm pretty sure you can also use a scroll of detect material to figure out where they all are.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
They're iron and good point on using detect material. The same trick is used to hunt down the teleporting mage boss because he tends to lurk outside of your vision blasting you with magic.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Does ivan run natively in win 8 or do you need to use dosbox on the dos version?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I picked Sproggiwood back up after a little while, and is there any way to kill the black slimes in Ghostfen permanently? Just seems like they divide infinitely.

Oh I got it. That's sneaky as hell.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 8, 2015

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Justin_Brett posted:

I picked Sproggiwood back up after a little while, and is there any way to kill the black slimes in Ghostfen permanently? Just seems like they divide infinitely.

I think you step on their ground goop twice to make it go away? Not positive. I haven't played in a while

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is the achievement for only killing the boss of a dungeon bugged? I've killed Big Ick twice without even attacking anything but him and it didn't give it to me.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Justin_Brett posted:

Is the achievement for only killing the boss of a dungeon bugged? I've killed Big Ick twice without even attacking anything but him and it didn't give it to me.

Doesn't he spawn adds when you hit him? Maybe they die when he does and it counts as killing them.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They do but somebody on the Steam forum said they beat a boss without mobs for it and it didn't unlock for them either.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

ivan is great because it's pretty upfront about wanting you to die

It's kind of funny, I'm a casual Roguelike player generally, but I do much better at IVAN than I do Nethack or most others, to be honest.

Definitely seconding that I'd love to see it LPd.

Speaking of roguelkes and games I'd like to see let's played, what's the best source to download the pre-4 versions of ToME, back when it was Tolkein flavored?

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Shattered Planet's not bad, though it's lighter than the thread's usual suspects. The art and music are great. The PC version's not just a mindless port, it's apparently a more evolved version with more features, though the mobile version has some problems with crashing and lag and I have no idea whether that carried over.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
So, lately on Steam I've been seeing alot more greenlit and full release games with the roguelike tag in it, but there are so many crap games I can't tell whether I'm missing anything good by not playing them. Anyone have any opinions on some of the games released in the past couple of weeks? I'd list a few, but the site is blocked at work.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Are ARPGs cool here? I've been having a ton of fun with Path of Exile. It's F2P but with explicitly "ethical micro-transactions" which don't affect gameplay at all. It gets the right rhythm of gameplay I craved in Diablo 2 and Titan Quest.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Jesto posted:

Since the Binding of Isaac gets an honorable mention under hybrid-roguelikes, may I toss Secrets of Grindea's Arcade Mode into the ring?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=xDCLz_coPHs#t=60

Relevant part of the trailer starts at 1 minute in. It's a hybrid-roguelike that mixes Binding of Isaac of Secret of Mana or Link to the Past swordplay, shielding and magic. It has a town you can grow by increasing your overall score or completing quests, NPCs to recruit and various perks to unlock. The most novel thing about it is it's multiplayer, up to 4 player online co-op. I don't think I've seen any other Isaac-like roguelike with online co-op before.

There's a demo with the Arcade Mode here, which also has online co-op in it, but only 3 floors. The current game has 12 floors and is still in development. Getting to floor 12 in the current game would be a challenge for plenty of Isaac masters, I wager.

https://www.secretsofgrindea.com/index.php/demo

Random Arcade boss screenshot for those who don't like videos. Also, yes, that's a magical cloud pooping out lightning bolts. It's one of the few summons you can choose in the magic skills. :3:

Thanks for bringing this up. I tried the demo and found it quite fun. I look forward to getting this when the full release is ready.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Bouchacha posted:

Are ARPGs cool here? I've been having a ton of fun with Path of Exile. It's F2P but with explicitly "ethical micro-transactions" which don't affect gameplay at all. It gets the right rhythm of gameplay I craved in Diablo 2 and Titan Quest.

It has its own thread that is reasonably active:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658727

I like the game a lot, and tend to play for a few weeks near the start of each league. It has some problems (desync, trading, end-game sustainability) but the game is good enough, and free enough, to make up for it imo. Wouldn't call it a roguelike though :can:

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Where would this thread be without our terminology debates?

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Bouchacha posted:

Where would this thread be without our terminology debates?
A better place.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yes but we're selfish and are keeping the thread alive

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think games like POE and Diablo, if played on hardcore mode, hit a lot of the same notes for me as RLs do. But the lines of "what is a roguelike" are really blurring... ever since the original Spelunky struck it big I'd say.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Jordan7hm posted:

I think games like POE and Diablo, if played on hardcore mode, hit a lot of the same notes for me as RLs do. But the lines of "what is a roguelike" are really blurring... ever since the original Spelunky struck it big I'd say.

I think this thread should stick to games that are grid-based, have turn-based tactical positioning, careful resource management, permadeath and random map generation. These are all key facets of traditional roguelike games, such as x-com: enemy unknown.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Before discussing any game in this thread we should pay to commission a poll asking a group of randomly selected Americans how much the game is "like Rogue".

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

in my steam library i labeled the category "rogue-ish" to avoid having these debates with myself

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think this thread should stick to games that are grid-based, have turn-based tactical positioning, careful resource management, permadeath and random map generation. These are all key facets of traditional roguelike games, such as x-com: enemy unknown.

:master:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

the x-com headquarters stuff is just a fancy version of crawl's skill screen

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
So much grief over people's inability to apply a smell test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Jordan7hm posted:

I remember reading a great article about Nethack in like 1999 or so that leveraged common knowledge of Diablo to say, "hey, there's this precursor to Diablo that you should at least try out," and I was thus introduced to the world of roguelikes, and the bigger names around then.

It was pretty quiet for a while, and I played them on and off, then in 2008 Spelunky (freeware version) either helped create the genre blend or just heralded the recognition of the strength of roguelike attributes, and "procedurally generated" and "roguelike elements" were being talked about in games that weren't ADOM or Diablo.

And it's pretty great! Some good-rear end games are coming out with some of the best attributes of the classic roguelike genre (and many very terrible ones as well that don't fit the definition I hold inside my brain, but I'll survive).

I dunno, I think genre discussions are fun for about 20 or so posts, every 500 posts or so. Sound fair?

Space Beast Terror Fright got its Greenlight, and I'm definitely not dropping $15 on it unless it's got a campaign mode and fully fleshed out co-op multi, but does anyone know if it supports inverted freaking mouse yet???

edit: here that article is: http://www.salon.com/2000/01/27/nethack/