Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Even in a desktop replacement you don't gain anything going from 15.6" to 17.3" - all the internals are the same and you get the same screen resolution. The only real difference is you get a lot less choice because there are fewer 17" models around.

That said my father (against my advice) picked up a Toshiba P70 which he is apparently happy with. Cruddy screen though which is annoying because the 15" equivalent has a much better IPS panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Delthalaz posted:

I understand the dislike for 17" laptops, but that is basically what I need a laptop for: desktop replacement. I want something to act as a desktop that I can move around no more than once/twice a week and usually only once every few months. I use my tablet and smartphone for more mobile computing. I'll look at the xoticpc site, but I think those come out to quite a bit more when I include a 3-year warranty and a Windows install.

Is anything in the way of having an external screen, keyboard and mouse? That way you could have a smaller laptop and whatever size screen you want.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Boiled Water posted:

Is anything in the way of having an external screen, keyboard and mouse? That way you could have a smaller laptop and whatever size screen you want.

Go whole hog and buy a Alienware 13 with the graphics amplifier too

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I don't get why people bother trying to talk people out of monster laptops. Let them loving buy one and if they like it, they like it, if they hate it, they learned an expensive lesson.

Just remember there are plenty of illogical people who like giant stupid laptops.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Bob Morales posted:

I don't get why people bother trying to talk people out of monster laptops. Let them loving buy one and if they like it, they like it, if they hate it, they learned an expensive lesson.

Just remember there are plenty of illogical people who like giant stupid laptops.

Every time I see a 10cm thick 17'' monster laptop spill out of the tray at the airport security check I laugh out loud.

what i mean to say is: please buy more retarded monster laptops to keep the world entertained :v:

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I have an XPS 13, scrolling, panning, and pinch to zoom work fine in firefox and IE. The app switch gesture only works with metro windows. There is a setting under mouse and touchpad that allows changing the delay so that switching between typing and gestures works faster. It works great with a short delay, with no delay it was moving the mouse accidentally while typing.

I would try using the default windows drivers, or installing the newest drivers if you are on a synaptics touchpad that is sluggish.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
Received my Y50 today. Haven't had a ton of time to play with it, but first impressions:

- Compared to my last laptop, the screen is amazing*. Someone earlier mentioned it being "dim" which I could see, although I haven't adjusted any settings yet. Colors look good though. * the only issue is that text in the middle of the screen, especially on grey backgrounds, seems slightly blurry to me. Most text/images are very sharp, so I'm not sure why some text is blurrier. Maybe I just need to fix the contrast?

- I'll be replacing it with a SSD, but the HDD it came with really doesn't seem that terrible to me. It starts up quickly and I've had no trouble installing/running basic programs.

- The feel of the laptop is very nice. Bottom is kind of slick, as are the keys, but not in a bad way. The style of the laptop itself is attractive in my opinion, and the backlit keyboard is nice. Overall the keyboard feels good to type on but I wouldn't say it's substantially better or worse than any other laptop keyboard I've used. They all feel mostly the same to me.

- The trackpad is poo poo, but no worse than the last Lenovo I had (which was really my only other laptop) so I don't really know any different. One thing that's different is that it feels raised to some extent. Tapping on it almost makes a hollow noise like nothing is under it. It makes actually clicking somewhat hard as I have to push down quite a bit, but I don't have the issue with left clicking when I mean to right click that I did on the other lenovo.

- Heavy! Heavier than I thought it would be, considering the weight on the site was roughly the same as what it said my other laptop weighed. It was a bit larger too, which wasn't ideal, but laptops for me only need to be mobile enough to take on vacation/use in bed so this fits that bill.

I'll try to give more opinions when I have a chance to use it more.

I don't really care about the lenovo bloat software, but assuming I did, is there a way to keep that stuff (and/or some of my other installs) when I switch to the SSD? I know how to do a fresh install of windows when I switch, but I'm guessing without having both hard drives connected there's no way for me to transfer over the data. Is that correct?

Gzuz-Kriced fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 10, 2015

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

I've noticed the blurry text on my Y50 for some stuff too. Mostly like system dialogue messages or deluge... not sure what thats about.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's probably ClearType. I don't know where you adjust that these days though.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

Aphrodite posted:

That's probably ClearType. I don't know where you adjust that these days though.

It's in the personalize section (right click on desktop..I'm sure there's another way to get there) under display. cleartype was on and I went through the settings, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Maybe I picked blurry settings. That sounds like me.

edit: I googled it and found the answer fairly quickly: apparently it's a scaling issue. If you right click desktop -> screen resolution there's a "make text larger or smaller" option. If you choose smaller, it seems to fix the blurriness, or did for me anyway. The text is slightly smaller but I'll choose that over blurry any day.

Gzuz-Kriced fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 10, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yep Windows DPI scaling is still broken.

There is also a separate blurriness problem in IE and parts of Office 2013 which cannot be resolved at all

B B
Dec 1, 2005

How did this end up going? I'm still on the fence between this and an XPS 13, and wanted to see what your experience has been like.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Question time:

I'm looking into replacing my Macbook Pro 2009 for something much more recent, as in the recent years I've started travelling more and my work requires me to do a lot of 3D stuff, at home and when I'm away.

I'm looking into getting a laptop with windows on it this time as I'll also be programming and figure I can always use my old mac for any MacOS troubleshooting I'd need be. But looking at all the different types available is a bit daunting for someone that hasn't kept up at all in portable tech for the past 6 years.

From what I've gathered, I suppose that I should be looking into getting something close to these specs for any 3D related work:

CPU: i7 cores (dual or quad)
RAM: 8 or 16
GPU: 4GB NVIDIA something
Screen : apparently IPS. 13" to15"

What else? My price range is about 1 000 Euros, more or less 100. I've seen a lot of stuff on the website of the store I plan on going to, but they all seem to have computers that have just one of these, and not the other.

The Lenovo Y50-70 I've seen suggested seems to have good specs, but lacks the IPS screen... Maybe my price range is just too low, I'm not sure. I know nothing.

/edit/ scroll down the link to see all the specs in details

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

B B posted:

How did this end up going? I'm still on the fence between this and an XPS 13, and wanted to see what your experience has been like.

Well, I got my SSD and RAM in the other day. Popping the case open wasn't bad and installing the RAM was simple enough. Installing the m.2 SSD wasn't bad either as there was an empty slot right next to the LAN card. I opted to leave the 16gb cache drive in the computer since it's located under the battery. Then I wiped the 16gb caching drive with EaseUS partition software. After that I cloned the HDD to the SSD, which is when poo poo hit the fan. The D drive (SSD) showed that Windows was installed but startup was still acting slow like it was still booting from the HDD, so I took it out and tried to reboot. The computer wouldn't boot to the SSD so I tried it in Legacy mode, to no avail. So, then I popped the HDD back in and got a Boot Config Data error and the screen told me the HDD is locked. I may have cloned it improperly without sending the new drive the Windows BCD file.

SO then I tried a clean install of Win 8.1 pro and not only would it not install to the SSD, the HDD was locked I can't do anything with that either. Supposedly the recovery partition is corrupted. I called Lenovo and they're sending me a "licensed" aka "full of our software" USB recovery drive (at a cost to me, since Lenovo's warranty only covers hardware). Basically I tried to do it all myself but in the long run I'm spending as much, if not more by doing it myself, than just having Lenovo install whatever SSD at their markup. If I would have known how far Lenovo has gone to ensure you MUST go through all of their software which is embedded far into BIOS just to get a clean install of windows on my own SSD I would have just ordered it with it. Maybe I am just terrible at cloning drives.

tldr; Lenovo doesn't want you touching their "dream machines" or the software that comes with it. Spend the bucks or get a headache.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Sounds like I have some fun in store

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
OTOH it's really really easy just to clone the HDD to the SSD and swap them. I don't know why more people do this.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TenaciousTomato posted:

tldr; Lenovo doesn't want you touching their "dream machines" or the software that comes with it. Spend the bucks or get a headache.
I ordered a T440S for a guy here, along with a 256GB SSD and 8GB DDR3 chip. Disabled that stupid 16GB drive, used Macrium Reflect to image the drive using a USB adapter, and that was all I had to do.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

OTOH it's really really easy just to clone the HDD to the SSD and swap them. I don't know why more people do this.

I thought this was what dude meant when he said it was "locked" or whatever. Yeah I planned to just do a byte for byte copy of the original disk rather than a clean install.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I did a clean install of Win 8 Pro when I put an SSD in my X240 without any trouble. It even read the key from the machine so I didn't have to type it in. Not sure why that's not working.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

signalnoise posted:

I thought this was what dude meant when he said it was "locked" or whatever. Yeah I planned to just do a byte for byte copy of the original disk rather than a clean install.

When i boot from the original HDD now it says the drive is locked and is missing the boot config file. I definitely botched the clone somewhere along the way. I guess I'll see if Lenovo's recovery tool works, if not then I dunno

butt dickus posted:

I did a clean install of Win 8 Pro when I put an SSD in my X240 without any trouble. It even read the key from the machine so I didn't have to type it in. Not sure why that's not working.

Same here until 95% when it decided to stop installing

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You may not have cloned the boot partition.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
Dumb question: I'm looking for an m.2 SSD for my new x250 to try the same adventure. Searching on Amazon or Newegg gives me tons of results for great drives that use the same connector but are way too long to fit in the slot I have available. Is there a keyword I need to include to get just the 1.5"-ish drives that fit here? Is there a clear frontrunner for which one I should buy?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

quote:

Sager NP9752-S (Clevo P750ZM)
- 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Sager IPS Screen (SKU - SSC878)
- Sager - 4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4790K Unlocked [Z97 Chipset] (4.0GHz - 4.4GHz, 8MB Intel® Smart Cache) (SKU – SPUZ02)
- NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 980M (8.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 (Maxwell) [User Upgradeable] (SKU – GPU03X)
- 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Kingston Hyper X CL11(2x8GB)
- 512GB Samsung XP941 M.2 PCIe mSATA SSD
- 1TB 7200RPM [SATA II - 3GB/s] (SKU - HDDYY1)
- Sager - Intel® Dual Band AC 7265 [M.2 Chip] 802.11 A/AC/B/G/N 2.4/5.0GHz + Bluetooth™ 4.0 (SKU - WIFIX1)
- Internal 6-in-1 Card Reader
- Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
- Standard 330W Sager AC Adapter
- Integrated Fingerprint Reader
- ~Windows 7 Professional Premium 64-Bit (64&32-Bit CD Included) + MS Office 2013 Trial
- Installation of Global Anti-Theft Protection (globally track your PC if it is stolen) (O.S. Required) (XPC Service)
- Rush Build & XOTIC PC Services (Ships in 1-4 Business Days After Arrival to XPC) (XPC Services Required - Excludes Exterior Finish Services) (XPC Service)

$2837 + $165 2-day shipping.
Any critiques? I'm buying a gaming laptop for my deployment.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That's a fuckin beast, enjoy.

It's going to be really toasty in use, so just see if you can be careful about making sure the vents don't get clogged up, but there's no way you won't be happy with the performance.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

MonkeyFit posted:

PCIe SSD may be a bit overkill but having that plus an extra TB of HDD space is nice. If there was an option to just stick a Samsung 850 Evo/850 Pro in there with the 1 TB HDD instead you'd probably save a little money and not notice much of a difference. That would probably mean you'd lose out on the dvd-drive slot though.

e: Oh wait, that's the older m.2 ssd. I thought they had shoved something like this in there. Carry on as is. That looks like a monster.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 11, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

MonkeyFit posted:

I'm not a particular Windows 8 fan but it makes more sense to just grab 8.1 rather than 7 on a new system.

Also unless you need one of the features Pro (joining a domain, bitlocker are probably the big two) gives you the normal 8.1 is fine and will save a few dollars.

I have to chuckle at the thoughts of a 300W power brick - it's going to be the size of an actual brick. Guess that's unavoidable with a desktop CPU.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What is the cheapest priced Intel laptop with an ips screen that can run Windows? Flex 2? Asking for grandma.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Pitch posted:

Dumb question: I'm looking for an m.2 SSD for my new x250 to try the same adventure. Searching on Amazon or Newegg gives me tons of results for great drives that use the same connector but are way too long to fit in the slot I have available. Is there a keyword I need to include to get just the 1.5"-ish drives that fit here? Is there a clear frontrunner for which one I should buy?

I think you're looking for a 42mm length, rather than the 80mm that longer drives are. Will look at the specs for confirmation of the size and edit this post.

Edit: good grief, that was much harder to find than I thought it would be. Still don't have confirmation, but I think the 2242 size (22mm x 42mm) that I suggested is correct.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 11, 2015

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

dissss posted:

I'm not a particular Windows 8 fan but it makes more sense to just grab 8.1 rather than 7 on a new system.

I really just dislike the windows 8 interface that much. It brought some cool features and I can't wait for windows 10. But I would rather use seven until 10 comes out.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

So, the T450s is 30% off right now at this link with the following code: CPNJEPP. It's 25% off at the normal B&N Gold Link. Just wanted to share that, in case anyone is making any purchases any time soon.

Anyway, I think I am about to pull the trigger on the T450s, but just want to run this by the thread one more time. I was previously thinking about buying upgrades through Lenovo, but I have watched a few YouTube videos to see what the process is for adding more RAM and and SSD, and it does look straight forward.

Here's what I am thinking about getting from the Lenovo site:

Processor: Intel Core i5-5200U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 2.70GHz)
Display: 14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS with WWAN
Memory: 4 GB DDR3L - SDRAM 1600MHz Base
Hard Drive: 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm, 2.5"

I'm leaving in 16GB M.2 Solid State Drive Single and getting a 3rd M.2 SSD slot. The total for this setup is $734.

I'm also planning on buying and installing the following upgrades myself:

Kingston Technology 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L ($58.00): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CQ35HBQ
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD ($190): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OAJ412U

This comes to $982. I still have another $100-$200 I'd be willing to throw at this thing if I need to. Anything else I should consider?

B B fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 11, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

MonkeyFit posted:

I really just dislike the windows 8 interface that much. It brought some cool features and I can't wait for windows 10. But I would rather use seven until 10 comes out.

Windows 10 is shaping up to be more metro than 8 not less so. I really doubt you're going to like it any better

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Grundulum posted:

I think you're looking for a 42mm length, rather than the 80mm that longer drives are. Will look at the specs for confirmation of the size and edit this post.

Edit: good grief, that was much harder to find than I thought it would be. Still don't have confirmation, but I think the 2242 size (22mm x 42mm) that I suggested is correct.
Thanks. Doesn't look like there's a lot of support from big-name companies yet. The only real options I see are MyDigitalSSD and Transcend. All of the Crucial, Samsung, etc drives are 80mm.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
In reference to my earlier question about how to switch drives without losing data on a laptop, am I correct that I could use this usb hd caddy (http://www.amazon.com/Storite-Sata-...words=usb+caddy) and then use some sort of cloning software?

Is there a recommended cloning software for this?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yes you basically just clone the drive and it works, but I would also like to know if there's a preferred software for this. I've been using Acronis TrueImage.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

signalnoise posted:

Yes you basically just clone the drive and it works, but I would also like to know if there's a preferred software for this. I've been using Acronis TrueImage.

If you don't mind linux boot disks there's CloneZilla. If you want to do the imaging in Windows (and with a UI that makes it easier) there's a few programs, but we generally recommend Macrium Reflect Free or the Samsung migration tool (for Samsung SSDs).

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

What's the best docking option for running two external monitors on an X220? Is there anything that will allow me to run dual DisplayPort or do I have to do DP/VGA?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
A friend wants a new laptop. Their asks:
- Touchscreen
- 14" screen

They don't run games - just used for browsing/Office/etc. Their budget is $400. I think that is a bit low for anything of quality, any suggestions?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
If they want a low budget tell them to rethink the touchscreen part.

Also a chromebook might be in their future.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

shyduck posted:

What's the best docking option for running two external monitors on an X220? Is there anything that will allow me to run dual DisplayPort or do I have to do DP/VGA?

Can't you daisy chain the displayport from one monitor to the second, or am i misunderstanding the question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

shyduck posted:

Matrox dual head 2 go