Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

howe_sam posted:

Sepinwall calls it one of the best superhero tv shows on the "air"

He also included this link of Deborah Ann Woll and her boyfriend at the LA premiere of the show, he's legally blind and dressed up as Murdock.

He is both missing out on and experiencing something amazing. Kind of feels like a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

Since Netflix's model is all about adding new subs and retention, have you or anyone you know subbed to Netflix because of DD?

The Marvel deal pushed me over the edge on subscribing. Before that I was happy with Amazon Prime since its "free".

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
The new content has made me keep my subscription even though I've seen most of the shows on the service previously.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

I'm waiting for it to start now (Daredevil) It's half past midnight here in Australia. (10th)

Any idea when it goes live?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ExplodingSquid posted:

I'm waiting for it to start now (Daredevil) It's half past midnight here in Australia. (10th)

Any idea when it goes live?

Probably not until a US timezone or two hits the 10th.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Midnight PST.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

PriorMarcus posted:

He is both missing out on and experiencing something amazing. Kind of feels like a waste.

Blind guy dating extremely hot girl is pretty faithful to the property, IMHO.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Since Netflix's model is all about adding new subs and retention, have you or anyone you know subbed to Netflix because of DD?

I did today, because i wanted to try Getflix but more as an experiment. Which is a bargain for $5.

I'd rather download it in 1080P and watch it on Kodi. Our internet is not conducive to streaming HDizzle.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

howe_sam posted:

Sepinwall calls it one of the best superhero tv shows on the "air"

He also included this link of Deborah Ann Woll and her boyfriend at the LA premiere of the show, he's legally blind and dressed up as Murdock.

I'd never heard of Choroideremia before. That is a nasty gene-linked condition.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
The red costume if you want to be spoiled.

http://netflix.tumblr.com/post/115941960721/the-real-journey-to-becoming-a-hero-starts-here

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

zoux posted:

Here's the AV Club reveiw B-, but it seems his problems were mostly matters of taste and nothing dealbreaking.

AVClub hasn't been the best source for reviews in a while, I feel, since Sepinwall left.
The reviewers they have are all pretty biased by way of political views mostly, they basically end up letting one thing in a tv show's episode define the entire thing for them.(going by The Good Wife, Agents of Shield, and Shameless)

Just feels like they've become unprofessional in a way, immensely nitpicky, or maybe it's because they use a terrible rating system.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

It looks weird. But I think it looks weird in a good way?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deakul posted:

AVClub hasn't been the best source for reviews in a while, I feel, since Sepinwall left.
The reviewers they have are all pretty biased by way of political views mostly, they basically end up letting one thing in a tv show's episode define the entire thing for them.(going by The Good Wife, Agents of Shield, and Shameless)

Just feels like they've become unprofessional in a way, immensely nitpicky, or maybe it's because they use a terrible rating system.

Bro Sepinwall never wrote for AV Club.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

zoux posted:

Bro Sepinwall never wrote for AV Club.

Huh, didn't he? Could've sworn he did.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Nah, he wrote for a newspaper/ran a personal blog before he went to Hitfix. Are you thinking of Todd Vanderwerff maybe?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

hcreight posted:

Nah, he wrote for a newspaper/ran a personal blog before he went to Hitfix. Are you thinking of Todd Vanderwerff maybe?

I don't know, I could've sworn it was Alan.
Maybe I'm just dumb and trying to find a reason why AVClub has been so crap for about a year now.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

jivjov posted:

Probably not until a US timezone or two hits the 10th.

0800 bst Friday morning in the uk, so my guess is about 1800 Friday evening in Australia.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Deakul posted:

I don't know, I could've sworn it was Alan.
Maybe I'm just dumb and trying to find a reason why AVClub has been so crap for about a year now.

Their movies guys went to dissolve. I never really thought AVClub's tv coverage was all that though, so it seems the same to me.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Hmm, maybe it'll look better in motion.

I've always seen DD's costume as a really simple unarmoured deal. Like if they were gonna replace spandex, they'd use long sleeved red t-shirt kind of deal and the mask is basically a modified balaclava/bandana or something.

I guess it's just my (albeit limited) impression of who Daredevil is. Like, he's not some super rich dude able to pull together some expensive looking modified body armour in order to look like he's out of something like Kickass, and is instead just a guy (with powers) chucking on some red poo poo and beating the tar out of the lowlifes ruining his street to gently caress up the plans of the guy running the show.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kin posted:

Hmm, maybe it'll look better in motion.

I've always seen DD's costume as a really simple unarmoured deal. Like if they were gonna replace spandex, they'd use long sleeved red t-shirt kind of deal and the mask is basically a modified balaclava/bandana or something.

I guess it's just my (albeit limited) impression of who Daredevil is. Like, he's not some super rich dude able to pull together some expensive looking modified body armour in order to look like he's out of something like Kickass, and is instead just a guy (with powers) chucking on some red poo poo and beating the tar out of the lowlifes ruining his street to gently caress up the plans of the guy running the show.

He was, which is why he had the black hooded outfit originally. Maybe he takes crime money to fund his endeavors.

And this is comic movies, where viewers demand 'realistic' body armor outfits but not the means to acquire them.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kin posted:

Matt Murdock is a lawyer, one of the best paid professions in America

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Isn't he supposed to be like a lovely public defender ala Jimmy from BCS though? Or is that just something I've made up in my mind?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Rarity posted:

His clientel are the victims and their families, and a lot of the times probono. I dont think there's many rich people living in Hells Kitchen that are hiring him.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Rarity posted:

:lol:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3301274

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 9, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VDay posted:

Isn't he supposed to be like a lovely public defender ala Jimmy from BCS though? Or is that just something I've made up in my mind?

Nah he's like the best trial lawyer in 616.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

zoux posted:

Nah he's like the best trial lawyer in 616.

What about Jennifer Walters?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd go with Matt over Jenn sorry.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

bunnyofdoom posted:

What about Jennifer Walters?

She's not as good a trial lawyer, despite coming out of the DA's office -- from everything we've seen about her actually practicing, she's much better at the negotiating table and in the 99% of litigation that isn't in the courtroom.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

zoux posted:

I'd go with Matt over Jenn sorry.

I mean sure logically that might be the right play. But I've read Daredevil comics before. Matt almost always finds a way to lose his cases.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Test Pattern posted:

She's not as good a trial lawyer, despite coming out of the DA's office -- from everything we've seen about her actually practicing, she's much better at the negotiating table and in the 99% of litigation that isn't in the courtroom.

That's often because when stuff does go to court, it's because she managed to talk Spider-Man into suing the Bugle for defamation, not realising he'd have to name himself in the suit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

That's often because when stuff does go to court, it's because she managed to talk Spider-Man into suing the Bugle for defamation, not realising he'd have to name himself in the suit.

It's because he's black.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Review numbers ceased to be meaningful a long time ago. For some comparison, Metacritic has Better Call Saul at a 78. Daredevil is right now at a 75.

But it also thinks some obscure and lackluster TV shows are in the high 80s.

I've given up on any review system that is number based outside of maybe thumbs up, thumbs down, at this point.

ED: Daredevil only has such a low rating because of a single review hurling a 45% into the mix. So looking good. I still have no idea how Saul does so badly on Metacritic, but is so high on Rottentomatoes. It deserves the latter.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 9, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Costume looks wonky because it's CGI , but hopefully the horns are more pronounced.

Great I can wake up at 6am watch a episode then go to work and be annoyed I have to at work all day .

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 9, 2015

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Costume looks wonky because it's CGI , but hopefully the horns are more pronounced.

UGH, what time is it starting in Central Standard Time, I don't understand this crazy poo poo.

Okay so 10pm. GREAT!!! I only need 6 hours of sleep so I can watch the first episode and go to bed.

I thought it was 12am PST, so 3am EST and 2am CST.

Or do I have my times off?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Review numbers ceased to be meaningful a long time ago. For some comparison, Metacritic has Better Call Saul at a 78. Daredevil is right now at a 75.

But it also thinks some obscure and lackluster TV shows are in the high 80s.

I've given up on any review system that is number based outside of maybe thumbs up, thumbs down, at this point.

ED: Daredevil only has such a low rating because of a single review hurling a 45% into the mix. So looking good. I still have no idea how Saul does so badly on Metacritic, but is so high on Rottentomatoes. It deserves the latter.

I bet something like that's mostly from 4 star systems. 3/4 is 75% but usually it's meant as a higher endorsement than a C.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 9, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

mikeraskol posted:

I thought it was 12am PST, so 3am EST and 2am CST.

Or do I have my times off?

No you are correct I used google, it failed me.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Did we end up settling on spoiler rules for this thread? Standard Netflix rules?

tasslex
Apr 23, 2003

He's watching YOU

I really hope this show is good. With everything that Netflix has announced I'm most excited for Jessica Jones because of how loving good Alias was (and my hopes for Tennant as Purple Man*), but this section of the Marvel universe starts here and it needs to deliver to make that be a good showing.

When I watched the costume reveal in the first seconds it really made me think of Deadpool because of the body armor/tactical qualities, as like others I'd thought something more like ... t-shirt material was what Daredevil would wear. I'll give it a chance though, it will look very different in motion. It can't be as bad as Deathlok Costume Mk1 from AoS last year versus this week's Mk2 costume.
Thanks for taking a half an hour of my life away, I clicked this and ended up reading almost the entire first page. Holy poo poo why would anyone ever become a lawyer.

*Only known Tennant as Tenth Doctor? Let me fix that for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoUdPin-dhU

tasslex fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 10, 2015

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

tasslex posted:

Thanks for taking a half an hour of my life away, I clicked this and ended up reading almost the entire first page. Holy poo poo why would anyone ever become a lawyer.

You get sucked in by sexy Sam Waterston and Ally McBeal. Plus the mindset of people like rarity who still believe that the profession is one of the best paying in the country, which is only dispelled if you do the research first which a shockingly low amount of people do before making the huge investment.

Matt Murdock (and me) is a sucker is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

VDay posted:

Great now I want Bob Odenkirk in the MCU and I know that this isn't probably going to happen ever :argh: