Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Stop loving around on the internet and buy this RIGHT GODDAM NOW! Sunday Drives in that beast are going to be every kind of awesome.

Suave Fedora posted:

I bought a 2000 Ford Ranger for $2,250 (only 67k miles on it, couldn't pass that up) as my beater, but the exterior makes it look like it was garaged in Beirut. I just bought new shocks that I plan on installing with the help of a neighbor.
Rangerchat! I'm shopping for exactly that: a Ranger from between about 1989 and 2004 for a budget of around $2500 - $3500. Which engine do you have in yours? I've been told to seek out the I4 2.3L (2.5L after 1998). I find the XLT trim, with extended cab (jump seats!) and 4x4 if I can find it, most appealing. How has yours been treating you so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

ExecuDork posted:

Sunday Drives in that beast are going to be every kind of awesome.

Will the supposed crack in the exhaust manifold potentially create any issues in passing smog in my area? As far as I know Vancouver, WA does not require any sort of DOT check prior to registration but Multnomah County (where I reside, less than two miles away) does require a pre-registration check. Would I potentially avoid any barrier to registration by being grandfathered in or do those laws typically not cover faulty exhaust issues?

Furthermore is a cracked exhaust manifold going to create any issues beyond a slight loss of power, odor, and/or smog issues?

I'm also a little concerned about 124k on a vehicle built the year we landed on the moon :shobon:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
None of that matters - it has THIS

EDIT:

quote:

embrace the patina

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I thought you meant the couch stolen from the Vanderbilt estate, then I noticed the window. :stare:

Edit: Buy that loving car. 124k is awesome for that thing.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Will the supposed crack in the exhaust manifold potentially create any issues in passing smog in my area? As far as I know Vancouver, WA does not require any sort of DOT check prior to registration but Multnomah County (where I reside, less than two miles away) does require a pre-registration check. Would I potentially avoid any barrier to registration by being grandfathered in or do those laws typically not cover faulty exhaust issues?

Furthermore is a cracked exhaust manifold going to create any issues beyond a slight loss of power, odor, and/or smog issues?

I'm also a little concerned about 124k on a vehicle built the year we landed on the moon :shobon:

It's a 1969, it's too old to be emissions checked. Anything older than 1975 is exempt from emissions testing/inspection in Oregon.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Godholio posted:

Buy that loving car.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I've been having a slow leak out of one of my tires. Is this piece of bullshit causing it? It seems to feel like the tag of a shirt or something, some sort of plastic-y material. How would have something like that gotten there?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Looks like the clip of a mechanical pencil or similar.

I almost guarantee that's the leak, but you can splash some soapy water on there to be sure. You might be able to just yank it out, or it might break and then you'd have to have a shop dismount it, get the piece out, and remount.

Might be a good idea anyway just to make sure the bead isn't damaged; I doubt soft plastic like that would do anything, but it never hurts to be too careful, especially anything tire-related.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'd probably yank it with some channel locks (not in the line of fire, although I don't see it going badly).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would lift that corner of the car and set it on a jack stand, deflate the tire, and then pull out the thing. Then re-inflate, lower, and see if it'll hold its air for a week. Deflating it will remove some of the pressure holding it in place, and also give the bead a chance to re-seat evenly when you re-inflate while the wheel's in the air.

sean price
Sep 30, 2011

by Lowtax
Absolute best gas mileage small suv?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

trigonsareNOThomo posted:

Kia soul ev?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Geo Tracker being pushed off a cliff?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I want to try buying and mounting my own tires, but the wheels are non-OEM and I don't know their dimensions.

These are the tires+wheels that have been on it since I bought the car. What tire sizes should I be able to fit on those wheels?

PS: on a scale of 1 to "you're already blownout", how hard is it to mount your own tires?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I want to try buying and mounting my own tires, but the wheels are non-OEM and I don't know their dimensions.

These are the tires+wheels that have been on it since I bought the car. What tire sizes should I be able to fit on those wheels?

PS: on a scale of 1 to "you're already blownout", how hard is it to mount your own tires?

Really easy on a... motorcycle. I don't know anybody/have never seen anybody mount their own car tires except for like... youtube videos of people doing truck tires, etc. Considering they need to be balanced after mounting, are you capable of that?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The tires you have now are 195/60R15, so.. that? You could probably get anything from 175 to 205 width on that wheel, and maybe anything from 50-70 aspect?

If you don't have a tire machine, mounting tires is a royal bitch. If you don't have at least tire tools, mounting tires is nigh impossible.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Depends on your definition of "SUV" and "small".

First off - tire size is given as:

PXXX/YYRZZ

Where 'XXX is the section with in millimeters, 'YY' is the sidewall height defined as a percentage of section width, and 'ZZ' is the wheel diameter... in inches. Yes, it's stupid as gently caress.

Wheel diameter is the most important measure (you can't fudge on that at all) and those are 15" tires, so it's safe to say those are 15" wheels. Width can be fudged within reason, though the 195mm tires you have on there now seem to be fairly appropriate for whatever width the wheel actually is. Usually if you remove the wheel there will be "15x7" or something like it stamped / cast on the inside somewhere. Sidewall height (the '60' in your current tires) helps define the overall diameter of the tire, and you want to keep it as close to the factory size as possible for the sake of keeping your speedo and odometer calibrated. Because this is a percentage of width, if you go up 20mm in width, you may need to drop from a 60-series to a 55- or 50-series tire.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I was planning on getting one of those spring balancers with the bubble level on it to balance them from harbor freight, but I don't have any tire tools either. Do they have those at HF too?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's like $25 at a shop, max, even if you buy your own.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This thing?

Yeah, no, that seems like it's going to be absolute poo poo to get a proper balance job done on. Tires are one of those things that to do right, requires a huge amount of money in tools. I'd bet that the money I spend to get every set of tires that I ever buy in my entire life won't add up to what it costs to get a proper road-force balancing rig.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Is the rim size cast on the back? You could also just use a tape measure, you only need to be accurate to .5" for width.

There's a lot of money to sink into tire tools if you want to do it. I know HF sells a pretty basic manual tire changer but I figured that'd be good for doing motorcycle or small trailer tires, not a passenger car tire. I bet it can be done, but I don't think you'll be happy when you're doing it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Panda 4x4.

In the US? Probably a Suzuki.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 4, 2020

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Another thing to consider: a lot of tire chains now will match Tire Rack's price if you ask them about it, with the added benefit of getting their road hazard coverage, which they usually won't do for tires you bring in.

E: I know this is AI and we're all about doing your own work, but tire mounting is one of those things where it really just isn't worth it.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Okay so these should fit right? These are the cheapest summer tires they show for that size: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...romCompare1=yes
It's 195/55R15 instead of 195/60R15. Also tire rack says the stock size for my car was 185/60R15, so the radius would be 4mm off from the factory setup.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 4, 2020

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Extra posted:

We can't know if they fit properly without knowing your wheel width. They're probably 15x6 but we don't know unless you go measure them.

Everything but the aspect ratio is the same on the old and new tires. I can't find a size on the wheels anywhere so I tried measuring the width from the rim of the wheel. It's about 8 inches wide.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I've been having problems reading the oil level on the Saabaru dipstick lately. No matter how many times I wipe and redip it comes way up the sides and is much lower in the bottom. At which level should I read it?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 4, 2020

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

blk posted:

I've been having problems reading the oil level on the Saabaru dipstick lately. No matter how many times I wipe and redip it comes way up the sides and is much lower in the bottom. At which level should I read it?

I was taught to read the level where the oil goes all the way across the dipstick, so at the bottom of that parabola there. I'd be interested in hearing if that's not the right thing to do.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

Geo Tracker being pushed off a cliff?

Thank you for the laugh. As a guy that drove a Tracker for years, I had forgotten how...

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Geode Tractor as a dealer in Alabama used to advertise it as (trying to find a youtube)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
How accurate should a fuel gauge be? I've usually been filling up my car at about the 1/4 mark or higher to make sure the fuel pump doesn't struggle/run hot, and re-reading the service manual gave me a bit of pause. The tank usually only takes about 7~8 gallons to fill at the 1/4 level or slightly below (and I know for a fact that it's full at that point since the auto-shutoff didn't trigger once and I got a quick little fuel waterfall), but according to the specs the tank is rated at 14 gallons. Should I assume that the fuel pump is taking 3~4 gallons of space inside the tank? Seems a bit high to me, but I've never seen one out of the tank. 88 Chrysler Lebaron 2.2 turbo, fuel injected (~55psi if that affects pump size)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sentient Data posted:

How accurate should a fuel gauge be? I've usually been filling up my car at about the 1/4 mark or higher to make sure the fuel pump doesn't struggle/run hot, and re-reading the service manual gave me a bit of pause. The tank usually only takes about 7~8 gallons to fill at the 1/4 level or slightly below (and I know for a fact that it's full at that point since the auto-shutoff didn't trigger once and I got a quick little fuel waterfall), but according to the specs the tank is rated at 14 gallons. Should I assume that the fuel pump is taking 3~4 gallons of space inside the tank? Seems a bit high to me, but I've never seen one out of the tank. 88 Chrysler Lebaron 2.2 turbo, fuel injected (~55psi if that affects pump size)

Usually there's a few gallons of reserve past "empty" to get you to fill up before it's too late. My cars have always been way non-linear and inaccurate, but the Shadow seemed pretty accurate to me. But I don't remember how far past "empty" it could be pushed, although I did run it dry a couple times.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Raluek posted:

Usually there's a few gallons of reserve past "empty" to get you to fill up before it's too late. My cars have always been way non-linear and inaccurate, but the Shadow seemed pretty accurate to me. But I don't remember how far past "empty" it could be pushed, although I did run it dry a couple times.

Has anyone here had a car with an accurate fuel gauge?

(I.e. the readings other than 'full' being correct)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sentient Data posted:

Granted every car is going to be a bit different but I used to drive my Focus for work as a field technician (put about 40,000 miles on it annually for 2.5 years before they issued me a company car) and I almost always filled up after the low fuel light turned on. I figure I ran it through at least 250 tanks of fuel in that time and never had a problem with the fuel pump burning up.

spog posted:

Has anyone here had a car with an accurate fuel gauge?

(I.e. the readings other than 'full' being correct)

In my experience fuel gauges are only accurate at full, half and (nearing) empty. With the increasingly dumbed-down gauge clusters being offered I'm surprised manufacturers haven't switched to an idiot light only configuration, with estimated fuel buried a few levels down in a LCD/VFD panel in the cluster.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Geoj posted:

In my experience fuel gauges are only accurate at full, half and (nearing) empty.

Mine's not even that. "Full" reads about 1/8" above F, "half" is around 2/3, and "empty" is when it's been on "E" for about 3 days.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Yeah, I've noticed that with both the Lebaron and a 2nd gen Prius that the gas curves are pretty parabolic (it doesn't even dip below full for a long time, then it moves a bit quicker the lower it gets), I'm just surprised to hear that it might be a few gallons below empty rather than just maybe 1ish. Granted who knows how crappy it is in there due to PO negligence, but a fuel filter change a few hundred miles after I got it, then few thousand more miles on high octane 0 ethanol and lucas cleaner probably washed out anything non-solid at least

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Okay so these should fit right? These are the cheapest summer tires they show for that size: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...romCompare1=yes
It's 195/55R15 instead of 195/60R15. Also tire rack says the stock size for my car was 185/60R15, so the radius would be 4mm off from the factory setup.

What color car do you actually have?

There is usually a sticker in the driver's door jamb with the proper factory tire size indicated.

You can use this calculator to find a replacement tire that's close enough to the overall diameter: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Is there a way to make tirerack let me choose sizes and bolt patterns manually? I want to buy a 15' 4x100mm pattern steel wheel but it only shows them in 14' for my car.