Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gologle posted:

It doesn't matter. He'll still hit me with Fire Bane, and then the others nuke me. I think the strategy is to kill him absolutely first, because then my fire resistances and immunities will actually help. But I can't kill him fast enough.

If you hit him with Slow, he will apply Fire Bane after his teammates burn you, which means you can wear anti-fire equipment and then just open every turn with Dispel or Enigma or something at your leisure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Alternatively, Shin Smash Qada AND buff everyone else's Speed.. His Fire Bane then goes last and the rest of them hurl Fire Spells at your immune characters.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Gologle posted:

It doesn't matter. He'll still hit me with Fire Bane, and then the others nuke me. I think the strategy is to kill him absolutely first, because then my fire resistances and immunities will actually help. But I can't kill him fast enough.

You can use a Spiritmaster to block all elements and take out Qada. Also Spell Sword + Dark Knight will decimate enemies. Drain plus Dark Knight moves = super strong all enemy attacks with no downsides.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Ragequit posted:

You can use a Spiritmaster to block all elements and take out Qada. Also Spell Sword + Dark Knight will decimate enemies. Drain plus Dark Knight moves = super strong all enemy attacks with no downsides.

That's what I've been doing, minus the Spiritmaster. Instead, I've been using a Performer/Freelancer for the BP battery.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
A teaser site for a 'New Square Enix Project' has shown up: http://www.jp.square-enix.com/secret/

People on Twitter are excited... probably not for the right reasons:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I can't wait for it to be a lovely multiplayer version of Mighty Bomb Jack or something

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe this time it will be Spelunker... IN SPAAAAAACEEEEE

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The worrying thing is someone actually wanting a new Star Ocean.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

Sakurazuka posted:

Hey you shut up. :mad:
No idea how accurate this site is, but SO4 looks to be far from a flop based on the numbers, at least the 360+PS3 versions combined.

I am excited, though I should really know better by now.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Sunning posted:

A teaser site for a 'New Square Enix Project' has shown up: http://www.jp.square-enix.com/secret/

Well, 0101 is binary for 5, it's a picture of an ocean, and SAR is only missing the T. I've never played a Star Ocean game but I can see why people make that connection. Unless it's a new IP about SARS. A Pandemic sequel, perhaps?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sakurazuka posted:

I wouldn't mind another in the vein of 2/3. :(

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
maybe square is just a big fan of OI OI OI punk

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Kyrosiris posted:

I wouldn't mind another in the vein of 2/3. :(

Same. Star Ocean 2 is my favorite (it was my first RPG ever) and none of the sequels have recaptured that. :(

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I'd like a new Star Ocean because IMO Star Ocean 4 was one of those games that's fundamentally pretty decent but all the entry-specific aspects (ie. stuff that would have to be different in a new game anyway like the story and the location design) just completely let it down.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

xov posted:

No idea how accurate this site is

Sadly, no, the site well known for just making poo poo up is probably not going to be very accurate.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
As long as it doesn't ditch the sci-fi concept for a "fantasy planet" right away I'd enjoy it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Sunning posted:

"My bad judgement pushed those people over the edge!"

gently caress Star Ocean.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 10, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

As long as it doesn't ditch the sci-fi concept for a "fantasy planet" right away I'd enjoy it.

This is why I could never get into Star Ocean, and why I kinda hated SO3. SO3's opening showing the Earth and a bunch of major cities future-ified, with like the Statue of Liberty on a floating island and orbital elevator Eiffel Tower got me really excited for what I was gonna play. And then it proceeded to never let me travel to said cool future Earth cities. So I agree:

Volt Catfish posted:

gently caress Star Ocean.

(I'd still try out a new one though, if they didn't do the dumb fantasy planet thing and just did the Xenosaga thing)

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I'd rather just replay S02 becuase they aren't topping that. They wont even be close. And it's not like S02 is the be all, end all PSX RPG either.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Star Ocean? Isn't Tri-Ace dead (:gonk:)?

The fact we will never get another Valkyrie Profile game on par with 2 just tears me apart. Perhaps the greatest rpg of that generation, and it'll never get a sequel. :negative:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

tri-ace was bought by a mobile game developer, but because they wanted to branch out to consoles

also lightning returns is pretty reminiscent of valkyrie profile, up to being developed (at least in part) by tri-ace

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tempo 119 posted:

I'd like a new Star Ocean because IMO Star Ocean 4 was one of those games that's fundamentally pretty decent but all the entry-specific aspects (ie. stuff that would have to be different in a new game anyway like the story and the location design) just completely let it down.

I was able to shut my brain of to SO4's story and be ok until you first run in to those phantom things and have to fight multiple waves, can only really hurt them with the slide/combo thing, and you needed to kill them fast because they loving MURDER your AI teammates and if they team up on you it's impossible to win since they will outright stunlock you to death.

I'd prefer a new Suikoden if we're going to wish for RPGs from IPs that're likely dead.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

if you're tempted to play a star ocean that's not 2, just play a tales of game instead

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Evil Fluffy posted:

I was able to shut my brain of to SO4's story and be ok until you first run in to those phantom things and have to fight multiple waves, can only really hurt them with the slide/combo thing, and you needed to kill them fast because they loving MURDER your AI teammates and if they team up on you it's impossible to win since they will outright stunlock you to death.

I'd prefer a new Suikoden if we're going to wish for RPGs from IPs that're likely dead.

I'd take Suikoden over VP any day of the week but I doubt we'll ever get a post-III storyline even if it is ever brought back.

Cake Attack posted:

tri-ace was bought by a mobile game developer, but because they wanted to branch out to consoles

also lightning returns is pretty reminiscent of valkyrie profile, up to being developed (at least in part) by tri-ace

Thanks for this information.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 10, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chaotic Flame posted:

Same. Star Ocean 2 is my favorite (it was my first RPG ever) and none of the sequels have recaptured that. :(

There's just something weird and charming about SO2, and a lot of it has to do with how they went all-out putting stupid fun stuff every time the game wasn't doing its dreary exposition. At the same time (and it's a drat shame about this, too), it's just hard from the perspective of development expenses to recreate what made SO2 so great: all those stupid private actions, the cutesy crafting system, writing dozens of slightly-different endings... what was in SO2 just a simple "tell sprite move, cycle sprite sheet, wait x frames, print emoticon bubble over character x-y, print string" has evolved into this multi-million dollar dance with models and camera angles and voice acting and lip sync, etc.

What used to be a quick thing that one guy could program and do preliminary testing on in its entirety in the space of a single morning... well, it just isn't anymore. And while I'd love to see SE do an all new entry into the series but make it a simple, basic, old-school Star Ocean game like it's twenty years ago, they're a company that's all about the visuals and being on the cutting edge of tech. It's weirdly backwards, but hoping they'll make a game as fantastically varied and deep as SO2 that would be cheap enough to produce is sadly unrealistic.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
After finishing Type-O I decided to fire up the VitaTV and play some 3rd Birthday. I know the plot is poo poo, but the gameplay and music is really fun and it feels like Type-O lite. :smith:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ghostinmyshell posted:

After finishing Type-O I decided to fire up the VitaTV and play some 3rd Birthday. I know the plot is poo poo, but the gameplay and music is really fun and it feels like Type-O lite. :smith:

Well, the same PSP team that developed Type 0 did Third Birthday.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Cake Attack posted:

if you're tempted to play a star ocean that's not 2, just play a tales of game instead

This guy gets it (I'd still give a SO5 a shot though).

The White Dragon posted:

There's just something weird and charming about SO2, and a lot of it has to do with how they went all-out putting stupid fun stuff every time the game wasn't doing its dreary exposition. At the same time (and it's a drat shame about this, too), it's just hard from the perspective of development expenses to recreate what made SO2 so great: all those stupid private actions, the cutesy crafting system, writing dozens of slightly-different endings... what was in SO2 just a simple "tell sprite move, cycle sprite sheet, wait x frames, print emoticon bubble over character x-y, print string" has evolved into this multi-million dollar dance with models and camera angles and voice acting and lip sync, etc.

What used to be a quick thing that one guy could program and do preliminary testing on in its entirety in the space of a single morning... well, it just isn't anymore. And while I'd love to see SE do an all new entry into the series but make it a simple, basic, old-school Star Ocean game like it's twenty years ago, they're a company that's all about the visuals and being on the cutting edge of tech. It's weirdly backwards, but hoping they'll make a game as fantastically varied and deep as SO2 that would be cheap enough to produce is sadly unrealistic.

I know and it makes me sad we'll never see real private actions again. I'd throw so much money at a handheld SO2-styled new Star Ocean (only tweak to the battle system I'd want is real-time spells).

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 10, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
So... The new Dissidia is being developed by Team Ninja and Ramza has been confirmed as a playable character.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Allarion posted:

So... The new Dissidia is being developed by Team Ninja and Ramza has been confirmed as a playable character.

Just imagine me making a joke here about how hosed up Metroid Other M was when Team Ninja took over.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Yeah, I want to be excited for Dissidia but I can't be excited for anything by Team Ninja.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe they'll put Lightning in DoA5

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I assume Omega Force was too busy for them to use.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Team Ninja aren't bad developers in themselves - I mean, they're not great, but they do a lot of collaboration work and the overall quality of their titles comes down to who they're working with. Other M was a tire fire because Sakamoto was a know-nothing control freak who really, really wanted Samus to put her mouth on him. On the other hand, they worked with Omega Force in developing Hyrule Warriors, which was rad.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Team Ninja had nothing to do with the main reasons Other M is terrible.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Team Ninja should be fine with this as long as they don't do something stupid like....sixaxis boob control.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Just imagine me making a joke here about how hosed up Metroid Other M was when Team Ninja took over.

Metroid Other M can be laid squarely on the director. Team Ninja explicitly asked to not do certain things (like the controls) and were turned down.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The other takeaway from the stuff they announced was that the arcade game was being developed on "PS4-like hardware" but oh no, we're not announcing a PS4 version yet, nope!

Also the HUD makes it look like an MMO.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Next year will introduce the Not-PS4, with Dissidia as its first game. Produced by Sonny, instead of Sony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Phantasium posted:

The other takeaway from the stuff they announced was that the arcade game was being developed on "PS4-like hardware" but oh no, we're not announcing a PS4 version yet, nope!

Also the HUD makes it look like an MMO.

Yeah SE wants arcade money first so Dissidia is Arcade exclusive for the year it hits arcades. Expect a PS4 announcement shortly after that year of exclusivity though.