Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Jerry Cotton posted:

Rolls-Royce and Bentley both do that.

...and Ferrari won't even let you compare their cars to others on a race track. Like you can't even OWN a La Ferrari and let someone borrow it to review it head to head with a McLaren P1/Porsche 918. You don't actually 'own' the thing. When companies start doing things like that, people with brains go "whoa, hold on, that's bullshit" whereas audiophiles go "gently caress yeah, gimme 20!" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

88h88 posted:

...and Ferrari won't even let you compare their cars to others on a race track. Like you can't even OWN a La Ferrari and let someone borrow it to review it head to head with a McLaren P1/Porsche 918. You don't actually 'own' the thing. When companies start doing things like that, people with brains go "whoa, hold on, that's bullshit" whereas audiophiles go "gently caress yeah, gimme 20!" :v:

Yeah I'm going to need a source on that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I do believe the owners actually own their LaFerraris.

However, for the special track-only FXX, 599XX etc. models, you're basically buying the right to use the car, and only at pre-approved tracks. Ferrari will store and deliver the car, let you drive it, and then they'll take it away again.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 10, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

I do believe the owners actually own their LaFerraris.

However, for the special track-only FXX, 599XX etc. models, you're basically buying the right to use the car, and only at pre-approved tracks. Ferrari will store and deliver the car, let you drive it, and then they'll take it away again.

Are they even street legal?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jerry Cotton posted:

Are they even street legal?

Not even slightly.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jerry Cotton posted:

He's attributing more to the "official" response given to Top Gear (before they were cancelled) regarding a head to head test between the McLaren P1, Porsche 918, and LaFerrari; every manufacturer made up some extremely bullshit rule why they couldn't be directly compared, and Ferrari were the most reluctant, according to the hosts.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wasabi the J posted:

He's attributing more to the "official" response given to Top Gear (before they were cancelled) regarding a head to head test between the McLaren P1, Porsche 918, and LaFerrari; every manufacturer made up some extremely bullshit rule why they couldn't be directly compared, and Ferrari were the most reluctant, according to the hosts.

Wasn't Porsche all like "Sure, let's do this!"?

McLaren insisted on completely unmodified as-delivered cars, and Ferrari basically wanted to be allowed to fiddle and tweak like mad and use crazy-sticky tires etc.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Porsche said "gently caress yeah."

McLaren said "Okay, but the cars have to be bone stock, and you can't do it on the Top Gear track, because that's our testing track and we want it on neutral territory." (read: We know how it performs on your track and don't like our chances.)

Ferrari said "We have to be able to tune the car for the track and you can't look under the hood. Ignore the racing slicks. Also, if anyone tries to loan you an unmodified car, that person will be barred from buying a limited edition Ferrari ever again."

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

First 42 seconds explain that the owner wasn't allowed to let them borrow it to get data... Porsche went "here's a car!" McLaren went "Here's a car and some people to set it up!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fnTZKvX5jg

I'm not quite sure how you can own something and still not be allowed to do whatever you want with it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I though american top gear got cancelled years ago.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KillHour posted:

"Also, if anyone tries to loan you an unmodified car, that person will be barred from buying a limited edition Ferrari ever again."

Sounds like TaxTheRich has a job to do and a track to rent, since it's not being used anymore...

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

88h88 posted:

I'm not quite sure how you can own something and still not be allowed to do whatever you want with it.

As was said earlier, by telling the owner, "If you do that, you'll be off the super special person Ferrari buying list forever."

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

As was said earlier, by telling the owner, "If you do that, you'll be off the super special person Ferrari buying list forever."

Or could void warranty or access to replacement parts.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Spazzle posted:

Or could void warranty or access to replacement parts.

With an Italian car, that would be pretty heavy.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
A car and driver article about Ferrari F50 ownership. Apparently you had to lease it for two years first before you could make a final payment and own it. During that time if you let anyone road test it or anything you were in violation of your lease and they could take the car back. Apparently if you do things Ferrari finds distasteful after the fact they'll blackball you from buying their top end cars. Sure no matter what you do you can probably get your hands on the more common Ferraris, tho it's possible first party sales and high levels of service may be denied to you. But the sorts of people who can afford a LaFerrari don't care about that poo poo anyways. They want to be sure that the next million dollar Ferrari that pops up that they can get on the pre-order list, so they make sure they don't piss Ferrari off.

Disclaimer, I am not rich and do not own a Ferrari or know anyone who does, but a lot of outlets have mentioned this sort of thing often enough that I think it's very likely true.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/ferrari-f50-road-test

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

evilskillit posted:

it's possible first party sales and high levels of service may be denied to you.

I wonder what EU law says about this.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

What do you think would be illegal about it?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BigFactory posted:

What do you think would be illegal about it?

I don't know that's why I'm wondering :rolleye:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't know that's why I'm wondering :rolleye:

Do you suspect something illegal or unethical is going on?

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just guessing, probably all kinds of poo poo. But what do you want to do? Rock the boat? Sue Ferrari? Don't 95% of these cars end up as garage queens anyways. I suspect most buyers just want to pay their million, put their Ferrari in their garage and then forget about it, so who cares. Mr Bean or Jay Leno might actually drive theirs but do they really want to start poo poo with Ferrari? Or just keep getting cars and take it easy. Anyways, not trying to derail the thread, we can just drop this if we want.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

If you have the coin for such vehicles you could get any fool to buy it for you. I refuse to believe that a 'list' would stop you getting what you wanted if you had money. That's kinda the point of having money isn't it?

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 10, 2015

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

88h88 posted:

If you have the coin for such vehicles you could get any fool to buy it for you. I refuse to believe that a 'list' would stop you getting what you wanted if you had money. That's kinda the point of having money isn't it?

No because you have to have enough clout with Ferrari, i.e., having purchased a few of their more expensive vehicles before in order to be on the list.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

SuperDucky posted:

No because you have to have enough clout with Ferrari, i.e., having purchased a few of their more expensive vehicles before in order to be on the list.

And if you have enough money to buy a LaFerrari, you have access to the best lawyers in the world, and you understand the terms of your purchase agreement when you spend over a million dollars on a race car.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

88h88 posted:

"I'll just ask Eros Ramazotti to buy one and then sell it to me that'll show them" - 88h88

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BigFactory posted:

Do you suspect something illegal or unethical is going on?

Always.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Do people here have a strong opinion in terms of tri flange or custom in ears? I'm looking for the best pair of iem's for sounds isolation.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Knifegrab posted:

Do people here have a strong opinion in terms of tri flange or custom in ears? I'm looking for the best pair of iem's for sounds isolation.

Personally I find tri-flanges the most comfortable and very good at sound isolation, but that's not like rigorously tested. Customs would probably be best but then I'd need to shell out a pretty penny instead of getting them for very cheap when they eventually wear out.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

You should check out the headphones thread.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

slomomofo posted:

You should check out the headphones thread.

Are they actually going to be used as IEMs or just headphones?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

EU law says you can take it to any garage you want to get it repaired, and that third parties are free to make parts to fit it as long as they don't claim to be official, that fitting non-OE parts or taking it to a non-dealer garage doesn't invalidate the warranty, but that manufacturers can refuse to repair damage under warranty caused by those third party parts/garages.

None of this is of help to the poor beleaguered billionaires that own the limited Ferraris because the only way to get trained in Ferrari maintenance, or to get parts to make copies, is through Ferrari. Not that it matters because at that point it's basically a cult - nobody on the list would ever do anything to risk being cast out into the howling wilderness of Lamborghini ownership.

Funnily enough the one thing limited Ferraris aren't is garage queens - Enzo was so pissed off with people treating his cars as investments rather than as cars that one of the other conditions for getting on the list is that you actually drive the cars x miles a year. It's actually a sensible idea because let's face it, the main thing Ferrari are actually selling is the Ferrari brand, and an F50 or whatever is pretty much a rolling advertisement for that brand.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Neurophonic posted:

Are they actually going to be used as IEMs or just headphones?

Headphones. I just need isolation and IEM seem to offer the best.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

Headphones. I just need isolation and IEM seem to offer the best.

I have full silicone CIEMs that I bought a couple years ago and they isolate well enough that I've used them as earplugs in industrial settings, so if your budget can stretch that far, they'd be a good option.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This is goddamn hilarious:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/04/this-bluetooth-disc-turns-any-mp3-into-a-vinyl-record-and-it-sounds-like-the-real-mccoy/

A bluetooth-enabled "record" that sends vibrations into the pickup, letting you listen to streamed music on your turntable :psyduck:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

That is actually incredibly badass, just for cool factor. I would totally buy one to hook up my ~1970 turntable/amp/speakers to Spotify for the spectacle.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It would have come in extremely useful at a few parties actually.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

First of all

quote:

In the record listening experience, how important is the still environment and kinetic spectacle? With modern tangible media supplanted by cross-platform, network-based storage and playback, is contemporary record and turntable ownership a novelty, or an effort towards meditative stability?

What the gently caress? I think this guy fell asleep in the back of too many philosophy lectures.

Second of all, the article misused the phrase "begging the question" so they get an automatic fail from me.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 14, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KillHour posted:

First of all

What the gently caress? I think this guy fell asleep in the back of too many philosophy lectures.

Second of all, the article misused the phrase "begging the question" so they get an automatic fail from me.

"Begging the question" is a mistranslation in the first place so no-one should ever use it. What's the question? There is no question lol!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

"Begging the question" is a mistranslation in the first place so no-one should ever use it. What's the question? There is no question lol!

Yes, but the phrase "making an assumption that has not been formally established" is too long to use in conversation.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KillHour posted:

Yes, but the phrase "making an assumption that has not been formally established" is too long to use in conversation.

English really doesn't have another term for it? We call it kehäpäätelmä which roughly translates to loop conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

English really doesn't have another term for it? We call it kehäpäätelmä which roughly translates to loop conclusion.

Not that I'm aware of.