Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Haven't been able to install fglrx and wine at the same time from the repos since 14.10. Here's hoping for 15.04.

this has come up like 100x times in this thread but you never listen

1. fglrx is completely useless
don't even try to install it, nothing good lies down that road

2. ubuntu lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

lennart has cited core audio as his main inspiration for pulse. of course being lennart he bikeshedded it a bit, e.g. he just had to force network transparency in rather than letting that be an external client, but supposedly its modeled on core audio

this influence is great source material for beardos going full :supaburn: about linux being taken over by dirty foreign terrorists. same goes for systemd since poettering has been known to acknowledge launchd influence

excellent, sounds like there's at least one person in the Linux world doing things right!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pseudorandom name posted:

is "network transparency" just another way of saying "capable of playing audio on Bluetooth headphones" or are you talking about something else?

oh no, it's something far worse: "the application playing some audio shouldn't have to be running on the same computer as the speakers it's coming out of"

they saw X-Windows and its crazy concept of "network transparency" and decided that was the right way to do audio too.

no doubt there's plenty of code in all of its critical paths to deal with the possibility of the latency etc. involved in sending audio over a LAN or WAN and trying to keep it in sync with something else.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

oh, like AirPlay

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

oh, like AirPlay

is airplay proprietary?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Smythe posted:

is airplay proprietary?

it is

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Soricidus posted:

i hate pulseaudio because it's bloated with pointless features like network transparency

i also hate wayland because it rips out vital features like network transparency

-- actual things that i have genuinely believed in my shameful history as the kind of idiot nerd who uses linux on the desktop

well at least you got better :unsmith:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
audio works on my mac

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

fail

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Soricidus posted:

i hate pulseaudio because it's bloated with pointless features like network transparency

i also hate wayland because it rips out vital features like network transparency

-- actual things that i have genuinely believed in my shameful history as the kind of idiot nerd who uses linux on the desktop

i use linux on desktop but actually wanted those things (and systemd) as i realized init/alsa/oss/xorg were really bad and outdated, i am not sure what makes people like those things so much to be blinded by whatever may be better on something else newer

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Celexi posted:

i use linux on desktop but actually wanted those things (and systemd) as i realized init/alsa/oss/xorg were really bad and outdated, i am not sure what makes people like those things so much to be blinded by whatever may be better on something else newer

well tbf retarded ubuntu devs pushed pulseaudio while it was unstable, systemd is pure grognard rage tho

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Should I install Pulseaudio on my Debian laptop?

I do not currently have any problems with audio at all.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

why gently caress with something that works

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

cthulhoo posted:

why gently caress with something that works

he's running debian

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

well at least its not fedora or some other flavor of permabroken horrorshow lmao

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

cthulhoo posted:

permabroken horrorshow

Like dish said, he's running Debian

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I run Fedora on my gaming desktop, on which sound also works.

This is not the Linux experience I am used to.

Good thing I also have an OpenBSD server.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Athas posted:

Should I install Pulseaudio on my Debian laptop?

I do not currently have any problems with audio at all.

it's not standard? lol debian

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

cthulhoo posted:

well at least its not fedora or some other flavor of permabroken horrorshow lmao

fedora is the distro i've had less troubles with, i have yet to have to tune or change anything on it at all, sound works, nvidia drivers are self updated to latest, all steam games work fine, nothing i can think of never "just" worked out of the box, unlike debian/ubuntu/mint which i was basically hours tuning poo poo

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

unironic defense of desktop linux itt

shameful

*tugs on suspenders* my, uh, fedora linux, you see, ~just works~ on my laptop *uses gnome3* *is retarded*

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Could always be worse.

Someone could be a gentoo user.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

nonono

wait for it

arch
http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?p=3641

best part is how this retard literally charred his garbage craptop while compiling something on it

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
ubuntu worked on my shitbox, praise satan(?)

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
ive been using desktop linux since about 2002 or 2003, and the only thing i would like that it doesnt already have/do might be some windows-style remote desktop, where the local screen is locked, the session is reassigned to a remote protocol with probably a different screen resolution, and graphical effects are turned off for the remote session

i am totally ignorant about wayland, would it make that kind of thing any easier?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
wayland would probably do that

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this has come up like 100x times in this thread but you never listen

1. fglrx is completely useless
don't even try to install it, nothing good lies down that road

2. ubuntu lol

1. Pioneer requires it

2. You are an rear end in a top hat, sir.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i hate ubuntu but i really like kubuntu

kubuntu is getting even better since now even though canonical doesnt "support" it anymore it seems to be what all of the KDE devs are using to prototype KDE 5

their testing ISOs are built from kubuntu 15.04 but with a bunch of PPAs added first to get brand new KDE packages

most of the recent testing ISOs werent worth using since they arent very different from the kubuntu 15.04 im using on my laptop already, but they just released plasma 5.3 and kbntu 15.04 is frozen on 5.2 so i will have to play with the next iso

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

cthulhoo posted:

unironic defense of desktop linux itt

shameful

*tugs on suspenders* my, uh, fedora linux, you see, ~just works~ on my laptop *uses gnome3* *is retarded*

who told you about my suspenders

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

oh, like AirPlay

your remote display protocol is a piece of poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

oh no, it's something far worse: "the application playing some audio shouldn't have to be running on the same computer as the speakers it's coming out of"

they saw X-Windows and its crazy concept of "network transparency" and decided that was the right way to do audio too.

no doubt there's plenty of code in all of its critical paths to deal with the possibility of the latency etc. involved in sending audio over a LAN or WAN and trying to keep it in sync with something else.

LAN latency is under 1 ms

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cthulhoo posted:

well tbf retarded ubuntu devs pushed pulseaudio while it was unstable, systemd is pure grognard rage tho

systemd is still pretty rough around the edges

i'm a little surprised it's in rhel 7

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

LAN latency is under 1 ms

yeah, way less than BT audio, and if you're trying to keep it in sync with something that something is probably video and much more heavyweight

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
So what is the advantage of NetworkManager over wpa_supplicant with wpa_gui?

It even has a tray icon.

And it's all the same lovely drivers underneath. The only problem I have with wpa_supplicant is that it is sometimes really stupid/lazy about telling the DHCP client that it should try to get a new IP address since the connection just changed.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Recent NetworkManager (>= 1.0.0) has a built-in dhcp client originally created by :supaburn: the systemd heathens :supaburn:

it's off by default tho you have to edit some poo poo in /etc to switch it on

pram
Jun 10, 2001

cthulhoo posted:

nonono

wait for it

arch

best part is how this retard literally charred his garbage craptop while compiling something on it

uhh notable yospos poo poo desktop enthusiast 'oval office n paste' unironically advocated arch AND gnome 3

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lmao @ this

ncurses wifi menu

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

lmao @ this

ncurses wifi menu

but man does it fly.

Edit:
Hopefully into a wall at high speed.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cthulhoo posted:

nonono

wait for it

arch

quote:

In spite of my problems, I’m very glad I don’t need to mess with the Windows or Mac world. They are more bloated, yet more constrained. The Linux desktop has plenty of workitems, but it advances everywhere. I’m surprised Arch is only the 9th most popular version of Linux on Distrowatch. However, if you add in Manjaro and Antergos, it would be #2. (I recommend people run Antergos rather than Manjaro, if they don’t want to install from the command line as it uses the official Arch repositories.)

lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm the 9th most popular version of Linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

pram posted:

lmao @ this

ncurses wifi menu
try wicd, op