Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'll take a flat tire (that I've never had a problem with) over a square watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

gohmak posted:

I'm sorry but that flat tire looks terrible. I'm rooting for the 360 but they need to fix that.

Says everyone that doesn't actually own a 360.

I picked up a GWR and still wear the 360 a lot more, because it's so, so much nicer. I also have a G Watch, but only use it for slumming during bike rides because square is uh, ugly.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gohmak posted:

I'm sorry but that flat tire looks terrible. I'm rooting for the 360 but they need to fix that.
Honestly it's not really that noticeable on the actual device. What they need to fix is the dodgy CPU.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

eyebeem posted:

Says everyone that doesn't actually own a 360.

You said this literally two pages ago and I presented myself as someone as proof that you are wrong. You need to accept that a lot of people hate the flat tire for a legit reason.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Reverse Centaur posted:

You said this literally two pages ago and I presented myself as someone as proof that you are wrong. You need to accept that a lot of people hate the flat tire for a legit reason.

I don't think the emotion of hate for a design element on a watch is ever legit!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

At the end of the day it's a tradeoff between thin bezels with a ambient light sensor VS thick bezels and no ambient sensor.

I a perfect world we could get a fully round display with thin bezels and an ambient sensor, but right now we can't. I prefer the tradeoff we got (thin with sensor) as opposed to the alternative. Good thing the market has choices!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

BoyBlunder posted:

I'd recommend Pujie Black. Highly customizable.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pujie.wristwear.pujieblack

edit: here's a picture of my setup:

Basically the entire face is able to be customized, so you can get rid of the tickmarks if you wish.

I feel like Mugatu at the end of Zoolander saying "It's... beautiful!" and now my original Pebble seems so crappy by comparison. :(

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Reverse Centaur posted:

But you're wrong, see...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thermopyle posted:

I don't think the emotion of hate for a design element on a watch is ever legit!

Hate is the tamest emotion that a white date window on a black-faced watch deserves.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

BoyBlunder posted:

I'd recommend Pujie Black. Highly customizable.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pujie.wristwear.pujieblack

edit: here's a picture of my setup:

Basically the entire face is able to be customized, so you can get rid of the tickmarks if you wish.

I bought this and I really love it, especially all the pre made faces, etc. But, boy howdy is it killing my battery. Like, halved it.

The developer says it should resolve after restarting the watch, but still the same for me.

Have you had this issue?

(Moto 360, all updates)

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Hate is the tamest emotion that a white date window on a black-faced watch deserves.

This is real and the worst thing along with inconsistent fonts on the date window/dial.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Should the fact that I have a samsung note edge factor into my selection of a smartwatch? I like the design and features of the LG Watch R and Moto 360 but that ecosystem synergy, is it worth going for the Gear series?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Avoid Gear. Android Wear is the same on everything, but Gear watches are ugly and their own OS is garbage.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

I bought this and I really love it, especially all the pre made faces, etc. But, boy howdy is it killing my battery. Like, halved it.

The developer says it should resolve after restarting the watch, but still the same for me.

Have you had this issue?

(Moto 360, all updates)

Hm, interesting, no. I've been using this for about 6 months, and have had no issues w/r/t battery life.

Maybe a factory reset of the watch would help?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

signalnoise posted:

Should the fact that I have a samsung note edge factor into my selection of a smartwatch? I like the design and features of the LG Watch R and Moto 360 but that ecosystem synergy, is it worth going for the Gear series?
Stick with Android Wear (so the only Gear you should even look at is the Gear Live).

There is almost zero benefit to brand ecosystem synergy with Android Wear; Motorola and ASUS are doing some minor things but it's safe to ignore. This is a good thing IMO.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Have you had this issue?

(Moto 360, all updates)
Bought it a few days ago, no issues at all here. What are you using in the little circles? Maybe one of those is the cause. I only have date and weather.

Related question, what is the point of the microphone circle? It doesn't seem to do or show anything.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Tunga posted:

Related question, what is the point of the microphone circle? It doesn't seem to do or show anything.

The only point of it is to be replaced by something that gives useful information.

My setup has weather, phone battery, and watch battery.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Takoluka posted:

I use Watchmaker (and Facer) and FaceRepo. There are a lot of terrible designs on there but a lot of really good ones too.

This - also make sure you sign up for Watchmaker's G+ community because there are some nerds on there that make amazing watches that they don't always post to facerepo. Animations, feature-full, stuff that I would pay for but don't have to ( except the initial cost of WM premium ).

I'm using a re-make of a Tissot with 3 timezones, and tappable ( 3/9 to cycle through ) animated areas for: Calendar, Stop watch ( with laps ), compass with GPS coordinates, full weather read-out ( barometric pressure, high/low/current temp, sunset/sunrise ) etc etc. I can even tap the center hands to cover up the digital section to make it full analog complete with animated transition.

You can even make your own, although I suck at design and it's just easier to just steal someone else's hardwork.

Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/106982503578105386202

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 6, 2015

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
I like Puije Black but when I found Krona Sunlight I've been using it since. Really cool visualization of the weather:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Today the embargo lifted for Apple Watch reviews.

In purely coincidental timing, Google has made an Android Wear "Express Your Style" blog post, pointing out a selection of watch faces in the Play Store and also noting that "Most Android Wear watches use industry standard 22mm bands, so you can choose almost any strap for your device."

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Jawbone Up3 is shipping to pre-orders on April 20th. Or 30th, if you believe the URL:

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/jawbone-up3-to-begin-shipping-to-preorders-on-april-30/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Jawbone's also updated their site for new preorders, too, saying only a 6-7 week lead time instead of the 10-12 it was showing even a couple days ago.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm probably going to get a moto360. The metal one for under 200 is a really good deal.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I'm probably going to get a moto360. The metal one for under 200 is a really good deal.

Where is this deal?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I only see it for $230 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Mobility-Androidwear-Smartwatch-Android/dp/B00OBHEQCQ

Can't say I'm not tempted, but think I would want to hold out for the 360-2 for 'reasons'.

The 360 doesn't have NFC payment does it?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

No, no NFC payment on Android Wear currently.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Rastor posted:

No, no NFC payment on Android Wear currently.

Oh, as a platform. Will the 360 be potentially capable with an update to wear or no NFC capability on the hardware side?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Oh, as a platform. Will the 360 be potentially capable with an update to wear or no NFC capability on the hardware side?

There are no Android Wear devices with NFC built into them, as far as I know.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

Where is this deal?

I don't see metal for that, but the leather ones are $179 at Best Buy today. Black leather is $179 at Amazon.

Kinda tempting, to be honest... but the $239 Costco deal may be better since you could technically return it in 2 years or whatever (it's not part of the 90-day electronic policy because it's considered jewelry). Frame cracking is a common issue so...

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hotsauce posted:

I don't see metal for that, but the leather ones are $179 at Best Buy today. Black leather is $179 at Amazon.

Kinda tempting, to be honest... but the $239 Costco deal may be better since you could technically return it in 2 years or whatever (it's not part of the 90-day electronic policy because it's considered jewelry). Frame cracking is a common issue so...

Metal is 219 at BB, I have a $25 coupon, or you can use a movers coupon to bring it down to $200. I'm heading to BB to pick it up shortly. I'm full on retard mode now.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

ugh, I really don't need one...but $179 is pretty tempting.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

Can't say I'm not tempted, but think I would want to hold out for the 360-2 for 'reasons'.

Yeah, I've eyed the black with black link band a few times, but I decided on the Pebble Time instead. If/when gen 2 is an improvement I'll probably try it out in a year or so.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Metal is 219 at BB, I have a $25 coupon, or you can use a movers coupon to bring it down to $200. I'm heading to BB to pick it up shortly. I'm full on retard mode now.

Eh, as long as you don't go through 4-5 of them as you find new coupons, I'd say only semi retard mode, which is anyone buying a smart watch :D

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm assuming leather, even at $169 (I have $10 rewards) is a bad idea, right? Metal would obviously endure wear/water/sweat better.

Or I could just go the Costco route, pay more for black/black leather and return it if the 360 rev2 comes out soon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Now"?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally saw my first android wear watch on someone who I didn't know.... on a mall security guard. G Watch R.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
$165 free shipping through google, drat they are dropping the hammer. This is comparable to most of the loving bands of the apple watch,

https://store.google.com/product/moto_360

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Fatal posted:

$165 free shipping through google, drat they are dropping the hammer. This is comparable to most of the loving bands of the apple watch,

https://store.google.com/product/moto_360

The last two posts are insightful. Android wear has a bad brand- it's not cool. It's not a cool product (set of products) and successful people can't with any regularity be seen wearing it and so now it's cheap. It also means it likely won't evolve into anything exceptional beyond what it is because the market will be crowded out by products that are well branded and cool and visible in public particularly among people with money.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 14, 2015

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The last two posts are insightful. Android wear has a bad brand- it's not cool. It's not a cool product (set of products) and successful people can't with any regularity be seen wearing it and so now it's cheap. It also means it likely won't evolve into anything exceptional beyond what it is because the market will be crowded out by products that are well branded and cool and visible in public particularly among people with money.

I'm a professional, respected in my field, yadda yadda. I wear my 360 every day both to the office and while out and about. I regularly get compliments, mostly from women, about my watch. I've been told it is "the coolest thing" or "awesome!" by young, old, rich, poor, what have you people since I started wearing the thing.

I really dispute that android wear is not cool. It's not as polished at the apple watch, I'm sure, but it works great for me, and the 360 at least looks the business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

eyebeem posted:

I'm a professional, respected in my field, yadda yadda. I wear my 360 every day both to the office and while out and about. I regularly get compliments, mostly from women, about my watch. I've been told it is "the coolest thing" or "awesome!" by young, old, rich, poor, what have you people since I started wearing the thing.

I really dispute that android wear is not cool. It's not as polished at the apple watch, I'm sure, but it works great for me, and the 360 at least looks the business.

If it were cool it would sell. Here is the thing I find funny. Is it a decent looking product? Yes. People go on and on about the shape and materials and price point. The companies also had "first in the market" privileges as well. Yet, sales were low and it's not a visible product in public. People see your watch and they go "oh cool!" because like the guy who posted earlier, it's really hard to find anyone wearing it [The real question is do the people who see it want to go out and buy it or do they go out and buy it?]. Selling <1.2 units of a product over more than a year is nothing. Why shouldn't a product that by in large looks good or at least fine, is made of good enough materials and is priced so cheaply it could be sold at a mall kiosk not be selling? This is the part where people who don't want to accept it's a branding issue talk about how it's just a niche item people don't need or really want and only watch efficianados will buy it. Well, then Apple Watch sales come in and they sell 1-2 million (or more) in a weekend and that all goes to hell.

Edit: Where I am going with this is that the Apple Watch will help sell the Android Wear products because Android Wear can't market itself as cool to anyone (anyone in substantial numbers). Second, there is no "Galaxy S" high-class cellphone item in the Watch market to compete with the Apple products being released which is a problem for competition. Maybe Apple Watch's release will generate one because Moto 360 ain't it.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 14, 2015