Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
1x09 dragon on the heroin packets is very similar to Iron Fist brand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
1x04

"Tell Mister Potter I'll need a new suit..." Gladiator namecheck!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

1x02 Daaaaaamn

I winced like a motherfucker at the scissors to the orbital, and pretty much had my jaw dropped for the last two minutes of the fight in the hallway. That is some entertaining poo poo.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 10, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
1x10
Maverick & Goose! "Smoking hot Greek girl" Elektra, i have no doubt.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 10, 2015

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just started watching and this is already loving fantastic. General question: is there any way at all to track the likelihood that a Netflix series will be renewed? Certainly seems like the critical reviews are giving this show a good shot, I'm just curious.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm going to be the dissenter and say that the first ten minutes or so of episode one had me really worried with the terrible exposition and a lot of cliches that I absolutely hate. But then things took off and didn't let up. This is going to be a fun show.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
1x03 Mild spoilers. Ben Urich is showing up as the local crime reporter? Figured he'd be locked up with Spiderman. poo poo. After that beatdown at the end of the second episode, I'm about to have a nerdgasm.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Fisk is loving terrifying.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
(1x03)

"It makes me feel alone."

Yup, they nailed it. The emphasis on corrupt, impersonal systems that devour everyone shows what they can do with a miniseries.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Just started watching and this is already loving fantastic. General question: is there any way at all to track the likelihood that a Netflix series will be renewed? Certainly seems like the critical reviews are giving this show a good shot, I'm just curious.

So far almost everything they've done has gotten more than one season.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Ben Urich was introduced in Daredevil and mostly tied in with him. He only made cameos with Spider-man and he was already in the first Daredevil movie.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Netflix seldom cancels shows after one season. Even the universally panned Hemlock Grove is getting to Season 3. It probably depends more on Marvel wanting to make more than Netflix.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Being part of this defenders metaseries kind of complicates it. You could kind of view DD/JJ/LC/IF as preassured renewals of the same thing, perhaps. This is going to be running for a few years.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh crap there are 13 episodes?

I thought it was 10

1x11 here we go.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ShineDog posted:

Being part of this defenders metaseries kind of complicates it. You could kind of view DD/JJ/LC/IF as preassured renewals of the same thing, perhaps. This is going to be running for a few years.

Yeah, kind of the way it looks now is that it's "Marvel: The TV Series" with each character/Defenders being a "season". So if they wanted to do a DD season for next year it would shoot alongside Luke Cage/Iron Fist, and if they wanted a third it would be shooting with Defenders. I have no idea how the production deal works so I don't know if this is a big deal or not.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Oh crap there are 13 episodes?

I thought it was 10

1x11 here we go.

Right there with you, buddy!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Every time a cab pulls up in a Marvel property, I hope the driver ID says Lockley.

Same, dammit. Or looking in the background for a driverless white limo.

I've been trying to keep an eye out for any Rand Corporation property too.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 10, 2015

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hcreight posted:

Netflix seldom cancels shows after one season. Even the universally panned Hemlock Grove is getting to Season 3. It probably depends more on Marvel wanting to make more than Netflix.

Good point. I guess the question then becomes is it beneficial for Marvel to make more, but I'd hope the series being met with HOLY poo poo THIS loving RULES pretty much everywhere and therefore bringing comics closer to mainstream pop culture makes it more worth their while. I mean I like the whole superteam idea but Daredevil is by far the most interesting of the characters to me, so I hope for more DD.

1x02

The DIY medical stuff is BRUTAL but fits with the tone of the show. Still makes me :gonk: though. Also is Deborah Ann Woll a natural blonde? I thought she looked so much better as a redhead. I know the source character is blonde though, so :shobon:.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Good point. I guess the question then becomes is it beneficial for Marvel to make more, but I'd hope the series being met with HOLY poo poo THIS loving RULES pretty much everywhere and therefore bringing comics closer to mainstream pop culture makes it more worth their while. I mean I like the whole superteam idea but Daredevil is by far the most interesting of the characters to me, so I hope for more DD.

1x02

The DIY medical stuff is BRUTAL but fits with the tone of the show. Still makes me :gonk: though. Also is Deborah Ann Woll a natural blonde? I thought she looked so much better as a redhead. I know the source character is blonde though, so :shobon:.

Shes a natural blonde apparently

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

All i'm thinking is, if the fight choreography stays at the same level: Think how loving crazy Iron Fist is going to be.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Watched the first episode and thought it was great! Sort of wish the fight scenes were a bit more well lit, but that could be just me.

1x01
Do we know the name of the guy who is in the beginning fight who got the ground and pound, and appeared in the ending montage with the weapon shipment? For some reason I keep thinking he will end up being movieverse Bullseye. That said, 'he primarily uses a gun in both appearances' is flimsy at best. No future episode spoilers, please

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

All i'm thinking is, if the fight choreography stays at the same level: Think how loving crazy Iron Fist is going to be.

Fight choreography generally only ever gets better.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
1x11 HOLY poo poo!!!

2 more episodes to go. This is crazy.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Holy poo poo yeah. The choreography in this show is so, so good. I agree that I wish the fights were better lit, though. At the same time, I know that's the aesthetic you're going for.

All I know is I'm glad this is by most accounts the future of media and I hope Marvel rides this motherfucker 'til the wheels come off, because I love superheroes and the aesthetics and everything, but I just can't find the energy, motivation, time, and/or resources to really get into comics. Doesn't Marvel have a digital subscription service now that's kinda like Scribd for comics or something? And didn't DC work out a similar deal with Scribd directly? Or am I imagining that?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Unlucky7 posted:

1x01
Do we know the name of the guy who is in the beginning fight who got the ground and pound, and appeared in the ending montage with the weapon shipment? For some reason I keep thinking he will end up being movieverse Bullseye. That said, 'he primarily uses a gun in both appearances' is flimsy at best. No future episode spoilers, please

He's another character from the comics, he's named later.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

1x05
Daaaaaaaaaamn, Fisk just raining hellfire on the Russians.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Holy poo poo yeah. The choreography in this show is so, so good. I agree that I wish the fights were better lit, though. At the same time, I know that's the aesthetic you're going for.

All I know is I'm glad this is by most accounts the future of media and I hope Marvel rides this motherfucker 'til the wheels come off, because I love superheroes and the aesthetics and everything, but I just can't find the energy, motivation, time, and/or resources to really get into comics. Doesn't Marvel have a digital subscription service now that's kinda like Scribd for comics or something? And didn't DC work out a similar deal with Scribd directly? Or am I imagining that?

Yup, Marvel Unlimited. Pay a sub fee, and you get access to most of their back catalogue. I've yet to find anything I want to read that they didn't already have up anyway.

They even do curated reading lists, which are great.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
1x12

I loving called it! The heroin is called Steel Serpent, which is Iron Fist's bad guy. loving Davos!

Edit, still 12 "a considerable distance further" oh yeah, seven kingdoms of heaven!

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 10, 2015

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Is it good? Worth getting Netflix for?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Trump posted:

Is it good? Worth getting Netflix for?

I hate hate hate 90% of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and so far I'm digging it, so I'd say, plunk down 9 bucks and watch it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
1x12 ending
they just killed Ben Urich!!! Omg

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, it's worth buying a month of Netflix just to watch if you like the character/Marvel poo poo, for about the price of a movie ticket you get something that's longer and better (and, you know, 3 more weeks of unlimited access to a bunch of other good TV shows and films)

It's still kind of the best value proposition for entertainment media

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yeah, it's worth buying a month of Netflix just to watch if you like the character/Marvel poo poo, for about the price of a movie ticket you get something that's longer and better (and, you know, 3 more weeks of unlimited access to a bunch of other good TV shows and films)

I'd be getting it only for Daredevil, that's why I'm asking.

Cheers for answers!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Trump posted:

Cheers for answers!

To be fair; House of Cards and Orange is the New Black are both really loving good in their own right.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

1x06
Vladimir went out like a man, good on him. Fisk's reach and influence is loving scary.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Trump posted:

Cheers for answers!

More power to you, but the breadth and depth of Netflix's catalog is so loving huge I'd imagine you'd find other things to enjoy too. :)

Also I'd say it's well worth the :10bux: and I'm only partway through, but in the interest of full disclosure I eagerly gobble up pretty much even the shittiest superhero media. :v:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So I can't watch this until later tonight. :smithicide:

Can I assume by the reactions I'm seeing in here that the fights are as/more brutal than Banshee's?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

WarLocke posted:

So I can't watch this until later tonight. :smithicide:

Can I assume by the reactions I'm seeing in here that the fights are as/more brutal than Banshee's?

Not as brutal as that but more than what you'd see on network TV.

On that note, the opening to 1x03 :stare:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

hahahahahaha.

1x07
that loving bottle cap trick shot from Stick:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
1x13 Wow... i loved his suit. i don't give a gently caress what the BSS gronks say & the few callbacks to the painting hells yeah, wilsons in prison but he got his happy wall.

Crushed the whole thing, so much wow. When's season 2 start?