Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Phantasium posted:

The other takeaway from the stuff they announced was that the arcade game was being developed on "PS4-like hardware" but oh no, we're not announcing a PS4 version yet, nope!

Also the HUD makes it look like an MMO.

Very PS4-like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
...Have I been playing Dissidia wrong? It was actually a Gundam game?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

All the characters are now mechs that resemble Final Fantasy characters. You play as a little pilot in their head.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Looking up more Dissidia information apparently they plan on having 50+ characters. :eyepop:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tae posted:

The sticks are there solely for the Doma siege camp stage where everyone pilots magitek armor.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Team Ninja has taken a lot of co-development over the recent years. It helps pay the bills and justify having a console development team of that size. The Team Ninja as we knew it was actually divided into two teams in 2013. Ninja Gaiden 3 bombing probably didn't help matters.

While the arcade industry in Japan has stagnated with the rise of mobile games, it is still profitable for many publishers. A game with a popular brand can make it easier to sell to arcades and get exposure. The developer can get payment from the initial sale of an arcade cabinet and a cut of the money players spend to play on it.

As for why it's taken so long for a sequel, key members of the original Dissidia team left to join mobile/social gaming company GREE. The talent exodus probably left the fate of the Dissidia in limbo. SE has decided to transition the Dissidia brand to arcades since it's a Final Fantasy game and the gameplay can work for arcades. I can't blame the original team for leaving since GREE's salary and benefits would be much better than that of any console game publisher.

It's notable that a lot of Japanese publishers are directly working with Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft in order develop console/arcade games. Namco-Bandai is working with Nintendo. Capcom is working with both Sony and Microsoft. Same with Square-Enix. We'd probably see a lot more console development teams disband in favor of mobile game development if platform holders weren't subsidizing Japanese publishers.

Himuro posted:

I'd take Suikoden over VP any day of the week but I doubt we'll ever get a post-III storyline even if it is ever brought back.

Thanks for this information.

Furthermore, Square-Enix owns the Star Ocean IP. They can make a new entry without Tri-Ace's involvement.

Will be get Star Ocean 5 'big budget console RPG' or Star Ocean 5 'Breath of Fire VI' edition?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Looking up more Dissidia information apparently they plan on having 50+ characters. :eyepop:

Let's go Sazh/Seifer/Balthier/Vivi/Sabin/Steiner

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Well they pulled a decent sized roster out of a PSP so it's not too out there. I assume they're probably aiming to get Theatrhythm's cast in since Thearhythm is already a Dissidia spinoff.

Tae posted:

Real Talk: Dissidia felt pretty close to something like that.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Does FInal Fantasy even have 50 characters? I mean, let's be real here.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

I am ready for playable Seifer. Please do it, SE.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Gologle posted:

Yes. All the Cids.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Gologle posted:

There's been over 15 non-mmo console games, with an average of 5 per game not including main antagonists.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

between type-0 and ff6 you might have 30 characters

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Since it's a 3v3 game that means we have a chance to see YRP or all 3 Lightnings fighting together and thats a plus in my book, though it means that we won't be able to do the full Noctourage.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just hope Bart and more music from Mystic Quest are in Dissedia 3. And I mean the original Mystic Quest, not the weird bootleg remake.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gologle posted:

Assuming main characters/antagonists and discounting any temporary playables (with exceptions like Laguna):

FF1: 2 (WoL, Garland)
FF2: 5 (FIrion/Maria/Guy/Leon, Emperor)
FF3: 2 or 6 (depends if you include the DS remake characters)
FF4: 12 (including Golbez, discounting Zeromus, Fusoya and the TAY exclusives)
FF5: 6
FF6: 15
FF7: 9 if discounting Aerith and Rufus
FF8: 9 including Laguna and Seifer, discounting Kiros and Ward
FF9: 9
FF10: 9 if you include both Jecht and Seymour, 10 if you also include Paine
FF12: 8 if you include both Vayne and Gabranth
FF13: 6, 8 if you include Serah and Noel

So that's easily 70+ characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm assuming we'll get ~3 from each game, a bit fewer for the spinoffs.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

http://youtu.be/Vm_ZcdhHrdk

I am unironically glad they are continuing the Dissidia tradition of inappropriate butt rock.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Since Ramza is in, Marche or Luso should get in so we can finally see the pizza cutter sword in action.

edit: oh man Midgard is looking good.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

ImpAtom posted:

I'm assuming we'll get ~3 from each game, a bit fewer for the spinoffs.

All three versions of lightning.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

All three versions of lightning.

i had a dream about that...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

i had a dream about that...

So did does Toriyama.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
they should include ceodore because he has the worst name

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The GIG posted:

I am unironically glad they are continuing the Dissidia tradition of inappropriate butt rock.

How can you possibly go wrong by starting a song with the lyrics MASSIVE EXPLOSION

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I'm glad they're not having Terra be super skittish in her entrance animation because that annoyed me a lot in the other games.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Shinra has conquered The Cloud. And with it they control the mobile space.

Behold

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The GIG posted:

I'm pretty sure it's even the same singer as Dissidia 012's butt rock song that played during Feral Chaos.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only thing I know about dissidia is that I have seen the cutscene that plays in the background of the theatrhythm track and the it looks like a crossover between every single final fantasy. Do those games have a story mode? I'd be curious to see what that looks like

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

The only thing I know about dissidia is that I have seen the cutscene that plays in the background of the theatrhythm track and the it looks like a crossover between every single final fantasy. Do those games have a story mode? I'd be curious to see what that looks like

It almost makes as much sense as the Kingdom Hearts series storyline, if that tells you anything.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYmqkwf8hao

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Phantasium posted:

The sticks are there solely for the Doma siege camp stage where everyone pilots magitek armor.

I would do just about anything for a Final Fantasy game that includes a stage where you pilot Magitek Armor like a slower-moving Virtua-On mech.

Sunning posted:

Furthermore, Square-Enix owns the Star Ocean IP. They can make a new entry without Tri-Ace's involvement.

Will be get Star Ocean 5 'big budget console RPG' or Star Ocean 5 'Breath of Fire VI' edition?

Thanks for mentioning Breath of Fire and making me remember that there's going to be a mobile game coming out this year in Japan, and probably only ever in Japan. :sigh:

Help Im Alive posted:

Aside from Seifer you can run this team right now in FFRK if you play Glorious Nippon Edition. :japan:

Gologle posted:

You could put together 50 characters just from the SNES or PSX Final Fantasies. Hell you could put together 40-50 from FF6 alone if you want to cheat and add in all the moogles who act as character placeholders and help protect Terra.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
My favourite thing about the Dissidia arcade videos is how even though Nomura is doing all the designs for the game, Amano's stuff is way more vibrant and instantly more memorable.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Do those games have a story mode? I'd be curious to see what that looks like

Ahahahahahahaha

Yes, there is a story mode, and no, you will not understand anything that's going on in said story mode.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Allarion posted:

So... The new Dissidia is being developed by Team Ninja and Ramza has been confirmed as a playable character.

I'm calling it now: This will lead the way for a Final Fantasy Xtreme Beach Volleyball game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Leal posted:

I'm calling it now: This will lead the way for a Final Fantasy Xtreme Beach Volleyball game.

Eagerly awaiting the Wakka vs. Galuf match-up.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

TARDISman posted:

I'm pretty sure it's even the same singer as Dissidia 012's butt rock song that played during Feral Chaos.

Sounds similar, but this new one sounds more heavily-accented Japanese. Love dat near indecipherable butt rock though.
"Deep inside me Dis is my story, give me power! Massive explosion! I can't stop the urge ~ to destroy!:v:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Ahahahahahahaha

Yes, there is a story mode, and no, you will not understand anything that's going on in said story mode.

Is that a challenge

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Is that a challenge

Dissidia's plot is Kingdom Hearts level nonsense and bonkers. It couldn't be simple and just be a battle of the Gods' chosen, nope, nope, nope :suicide:

It's a pretty glorious clusterfuck if you actually try to work it out.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
More like a warning. Imagine, if you will, the most nonsense parts of the a Squaresoft plot. Imagine then the most bullshit parts of a Squaresoft plot. Multiply the first by the second, and that's basically whatever the gently caress is happening in Dissidia Duodecim Fictus Latinus.