Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Main Card (3pm EST, FightPass)-
Heavyweight: Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic
Light Heavyweight: Jimi Manuwa vs. Jan Blachowicz
Welterweight: Pawel Pawlak vs. Sheldon Westcott
Women's Strawweight: Joanne "JoJo" Calderwood vs. Maryna Moroz

Prelims (11:45am EST, FightPass)-
Welterweight: Seth Baczynski vs. Leon Edwards
Middleweight: Bartosz Fabinski vs. Garreth McLellan
Welterweight: Sérgio Moraes vs. Mickael Lebout
Featherweight: Damian Stasiak vs. Yaotzin Meza
Heavyweight: Daniel Omielanczuk vs. Anthony Hamilton
Women's Strawweight: Izabela Badurek vs. Aleksandra Albu
Lightweight: Marcin Bandel vs. Steven Ray
Featherweight: Taylor Lapilus vs. Rocky Lee

Fighters you might actually know:
-Gabriel Gonzaga, known for knocking out CroCop about twenty years ago
-CroCop, known for PRIDE NEVER DIE and being hilariously knocked out by scrubs in the UFC
-Jimi Manuwa, the only person Gustafsson has beaten since 2012*
-JoJo, one of only two actual human beings on her season of TUF
-Moraes, jiu-jitsu expert who is cool as hell and is the last person to finish Magny has been injured and unable to compete since fighting Magny

Snack rating:
Pierogies. Not from scratch. Like, a bag that has been sitting in the freezer and expired in 1998.

Ditch fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
So the best thing about this card is that at least we can invoke the name of Magny in reference to one fighter.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I fear that I have taken Magny's name in vain to use it to promote this card.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

You snaked my thread man, not cool.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I'll leave this here.

The UFC has finally arrived, This event marks the organizations first appearance in the heartland of European MMA, Poland.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDZ5tg98Ak8

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Seltzer posted:

You snaked my thread man, not cool.
I should have made a post to claim the GDT but :effort:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Come for the fighters you've never heard of, stay for Cro Cop suffering yet another embarrassing defeat.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
hosed up that they'd try to run on ksw's turf with a main event like this. no strongmen? no obese boxers? it's so sutpid game

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Triticum Guzzler posted:

hosed up that they'd try to run on ksw's turf with a main event like this. no strongmen? no obese boxers? it's so sutpid game

I hope they at least bring in the anthem singer from the Butterbean fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9EO6HTYmZ4

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Jojo's going to cracks some skulls and then offer them carrot cake. :3:

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Snack rating is fermented potato water and the tears of Slavs

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Bushmeister posted:

Snack rating is fermented potato water and the tears of Slavs
But it already says pierogies

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Ditch posted:

But it already says pierogies

I really don't think anyone should watch this card sober. For their own benefit.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Seltzer posted:

I'll leave this here.

The UFC has finally arrived, This event marks the organizations first appearance in the heartland of European MMA, Poland.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDZ5tg98Ak8

Just looking at this card bums me out.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
unless he has early onset alzheimers crocop won't be driving to the ring in an apc. additionally, the main event isn't mamed khalidov guillotining like, phil baroni or something. second rate stuff.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Bacynzski beat Magny after Moraes did, IIRC

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Ironic Twist posted:

Bacynzski beat Magny after Moraes did, IIRC
OP updated.

edit: Fun fact: Over the last three years, including TUF, we've had Sarafian finish Moraes, Moraes finish Magny, Magny finish Kunimoto, and Kunimoto finish Sarafian.

Ditch fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 10, 2015

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad
the first crocop fight i saw was the one where he poked mostapha al turk in the eye. he has always been garbage to me, and gonzaga (who has been cool & good) will defeat him.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

My first live UFC was 70, the event that featured the first Crocop/Gonzaga spectacle. It was an amazing night that I have very fond memories of.

Am I right in thinking that I should definitely not spoil it by watching these two old, poo poo men try to recreate that glory?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

What is the deal with Cro Cop? All I know him from is when he killed Dos Caras Jr. in PRIDE and he's Croatian

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

What is the deal with Cro Cop? All I know him from is when he killed Dos Caras Jr. in PRIDE and he's Croatian

Greetings, wrestlehut poster.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

Basically he was one of PRIDE's biggest stars from about 2002-2006, after a fairly successful career in K-1 before that. He was mostly infamous for some spectacular head kick KOs (over a few good fighters in addition to Dos Caras Jr.) He had a hugely hyped fight with Fedor in 2005 that he lost by decision. He signed with the UFC in late 2006 shortly before they bought out PRIDE, which a lot of people were excited about since it was around the time that the UFC's HW division was really dreadful and being ruled by Tim Sylvia. He won his first fight against some schlub and then fought Gonzaga in a title eliminator, where this happened:

After that he lost his next fight against Cheick Kongo, left the UFC for a bit, came back in 2009 and had a really depressing run of lovely fights where he also got KO'd a bunch, then left the UFC again. Now he's back for a third time and they're doing a rematch of the Gonzaga fight. For his part, Gonzaga lost the title fight to Randy Couture after beating Crocop and has had a real up-and-down run since then as well (including being cut from the UFC at one point before coming back). Neither guy is anywhere near contention so they're mostly banking on their name recognition and the nostalgia factor I guess.

Ein
Feb 27, 2002
I've followed Crocop, and these threads, since Pride. When Gonzaga kicked him in the head I went out and took a solemn walk around the neighborhood.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad

Luigi Thirty posted:

the first elite kickboxer to have sustained success in mma, highlight reel of spectacular finishes, once upon a time was the second or third best heavyweight in the world when the division was competitive in PRIDE, generally seems like an affable and cool dude who once made noted weird idiot mauro ranallo poo poo his pants and threatened a croatian talk show host who talked poo poo about big nog, roughed up fedor before it was cool.

this is all second-hand, because as i said, he was a piece of garbage when i started watching mma and i cherished every time he lost embarrassingly.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

The hype video for Fedor/Crocop is still the best. Terminator music, Crocop's dead dad, gratuitous war footage, the works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N78SuVHM9CM

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
I remember the sight of Gonzaga hitting a right high kick on Cro Cop snapping me out of my drunken stupor and making me freak out for a while. Definitely one of my most shocking MMA memories.

Still not watching this.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

colonel_korn posted:

Basically he was one of PRIDE's biggest stars from about 2002-2006, after a fairly successful career in K-1 before that. He was mostly infamous for some spectacular head kick KOs (over a few good fighters in addition to Dos Caras Jr.) He had a hugely hyped fight with Fedor in 2005 that he lost by decision. He signed with the UFC in late 2006 shortly before they bought out PRIDE, which a lot of people were excited about since it was around the time that the UFC's HW division was really dreadful and being ruled by Tim Sylvia. He won his first fight against some schlub and then fought Gonzaga in a title eliminator, where this happened:

After that he lost his next fight against Cheick Kongo, left the UFC for a bit, came back in 2009 and had a really depressing run of lovely fights where he also got KO'd a bunch, then left the UFC again. Now he's back for a third time and they're doing a rematch of the Gonzaga fight. For his part, Gonzaga lost the title fight to Randy Couture after beating Crocop and has had a real up-and-down run since then as well (including being cut from the UFC at one point before coming back). Neither guy is anywhere near contention so they're mostly banking on their name recognition and the nostalgia factor I guess.

This is a pretty great summary

e: The only thing I think you could've thrown in would be crocop's numerous ball traumas

Ein
Feb 27, 2002
Fedor vs Crocop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLHe1vuaYBM

In hindsight, Crocop training with Werdum and Fedor diving in with a punch into open guard...

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

It's the only non-brazilian Fight Night less interesting (on soiled, recycled paper) than the Halifax one :w00t:

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

This is a pretty great summary

e: The only thing I think you could've thrown in would be crocop's numerous ball traumas

its so weird to think about cro cop now because of how pathetically he petered out, and for no real reason, either. Gonzaga just straight up beat the poo poo out of him and really made him look like what most high level strikers who move to mma look like (helpless babies). I really think Cro Cop had a harder fall off from pride than anyone. Therefore, roids

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Jack slack has a cool article where his main thesis is that cro cop was good when he moved his feet, and bad when he didnt

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Is there still the huge manlove for Cro Cop after the losses? I remember certain places gushing over him like he was the second coming when he was going to go into the UFC and we all know how that ended.. I love me some cropologist meltdowns is what I'm saying.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Is there still the huge manlove for Cro Cop after the losses? I remember certain places gushing over him like he was the second coming when he was going to go into the UFC and we all know how that ended.. I love me some cropologist meltdowns is what I'm saying.

I still like him, but wanted to see him retire with a win, not another sad Gonzaga fight.

Basically he should have gone out after that sub a few years ago where he said he deserved SOTN and told Dana "don't be stingy"

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Watch Less MMA, starting here

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Well, pretty much no one still thinks he's actually any good, if that's what you're asking. I think most people think he's an alright guy and don't wish him any particular ill will though.

Also lol, the CroCop article from ages ago still exists on SAS Wiki: http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=CroCop
And this Bob Sapp smilie:

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Cro Cop owns but you're eight years too late to find anyone who thinks he's good at fighting

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Make sure you get your goonweight picks in:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3702701&pagenumber=2#post443770902

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
I can't believe in all this Cro-Cop summary chat, not one mention of shoving.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

the saddest thing about this fight is they both have been out struck by Brendan Schaub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

colonel_korn posted:

Also lol, the CroCop article from ages ago still exists on SAS Wiki: http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=CroCop

holy gently caress i didn't know SAS Wiki is back

• Locked thread