Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I liked this episode and the pregnant woman was really good imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
I loved a lot of things about this episode, and laughed out loud more than once. The whole thing with the fried chicken was great; the gulf between reality and his expectations was incredible. He put so much effort into getting it to the party, and of course when he finally did, it got unceremoniously dumped onto the table, and when he got the compliment on it he was looking for, it was completely hollow because it was from some schlubby weirdo and it wasn't even his chicken anyway. Ironically, he did get exactly the reaction he was hoping for out of the chicken ("ooh, hey everyone, fried chicken!") it just happened at the wrong potluck.

The bit with the surrogate at the potluck was great, too. If there's one thing more intrusive and degrading than asking to rub a pregnant woman's belly, I guess it's asking someone ELSE for permission to rub her belly.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hahah yeah they basically treated her like some kind of non-sentient walking uterus.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

precision posted:

So what did you think of the premiere of Season 5, which is the topic of this thread? Or are you just here to start a fight?

Who said anything about a fight? I'm simply baffled that people defended that scene, and doubly baffled that people are still defending it. Louis CK himself finally commented on that scene, and not only didn't he back up the weird defenses of it, he just basically proved how tone deaf he actually is. That was the problem with basically all of Season 4 - just tone deaf all the way through.

Louis CK posted:

I had a scene earlier in the season where I was with a woman and she was hesitant and in a romantic way, I kind of went a little further with her and then she came with me and then we were together. So I'm trying it again, like an idiot -- like, 'Hey, it worked once, maybe it'll work another time.

She wasn't scared in the scene, she was annoyed. To me, she was never under my control in the scene, she was never in danger.

It's interesting, sometimes you put something out and it get a different reaction, which is OK.

Yeah. That was his explanation of it.

To me, all of season 4 was CK paying back the fedora bros who made his pay-what-you-want-thing a success. Like he got caught in a whirlwind of Reddit AMAs and decided that was his core fan base, adopted their bizarro world view and decided he should target the show directly to them. And it came off like a weird mix of /r/theredpill, /r/mensrights and /r/fatacceptance . I mean, great that it resonated with you, but...

So to answer your question: I thought last nights episode was decent. Kind of a slow start, but if he goes back to Season 1 and 2 Louie that would be a good thing. I kind of have to cut the guy a little slack, it must be tough to linger in an industry for decades before suddenly becoming the hottest thing in comedy in your 40s, but if the result of that is putting out very disturbing and weird messages and boosting the confidence of the Eliot Rogers of the world, I really don't want to support this show anymore. I think he desperately needs harsh criticism to get the show back on track. He needs to be called a rape apologist so he can take a look at what he's doing and refocus his talents. I don't think the first episode really proved that that's going to happen, but it did remind me more of those earlier seasons, which is definitely a good thing.

As for your rule of not discussing "the scene" or last season: I don't see how any reasonable person could discuss this season without referencing last season. It brought a lot of weight in that would pretty foolish to just ignore.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Saying Pamela wasn't actually in danger isn't the same as saying that what Louie was doing was right.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
And saying what he was doing was stupid isn't the same as saying it was wrong.

Seriously, can one of you explain why its so important to you to justify that scene? I'm dying to understand the thought process behind that. I just don't get it.

Its one thing to not be affected by it in the same way many other people were. I can sort of wrap my head around that. What I don't get is the compulsion to rush in and white knight a loving creepy date rape scene.

Jake Armitage fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 10, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jake Armitage posted:

And saying what he was doing was stupid isn't the same as saying it was wrong.

Seriously, can one of you explain why its so important to you to justify that scene? I'm dying to understand the thought process behind that. I just don't get it.

What he did in that scene was both stupid and wrong.

Filming that scene and including it in his television show was not stupid and wrong.

That's all.

e: Of note is that Pamela co-wrote that episode and is a producer of the show.

e2: It's almost like "Louie" and "Louis C.K." are not the same person

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Jake Armitage posted:

What I don't get is the compulsion to rush in and white knight a loving creepy date rape scene.

+69 Pimp

Moving on ...

I liked last night's episode. The stand-up bit about aliens was funnier than most of his last special. The "I didn't come" line was laugh out loud funny. I'm glad this show is back.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Re: The Scene,

I dunno if Pamela Adlon has said anything on it publicly, but of the scene that they according to the credits wrote together, we only have Louis vision of it. Nobody in this thread or the previous afaik has shined a good positive light on Louie-the-character & his actions in that scene. Or maybe some actually insane people did and I didn't notice.

To me, it's fairly obvious that Louie-the-character is a giant failure, and the only reason it doesn't progress to forced penetration is his lack of everything. That tiny fistpump is like a giant full stop after the words "Louie is functionally retarded". He literally wanted to & tried to rape Pam but he was too goony to pull it off, so he only got to sexual battery or some such poo poo. I dunno the laws in America.

I had another thing to say but who is even gonna read this bullshit.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

I liked this episode better than anything in season 4. Felt like return to form for me. Best bit was still the stand up at the start, though.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Jake Armitage posted:

To me, all of season 4 was CK paying back the fedora bros who made his pay-what-you-want-thing a success. Like he got caught in a whirlwind of Reddit AMAs and decided that was his core fan base, adopted their bizarro world view and decided he should target the show directly to them. And it came off like a weird mix of /r/theredpill, /r/mensrights and /r/fatacceptance . I mean, great that it resonated with you, but...

When you start judging a television series by which subreddits it reminds you of you're the one with the bizarro world-view.

Louie is pretty much never held up as an aspirational character. Seems more like he's everything the actual Louis dislikes about himself.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Jake Armitage posted:

If you think Louis CK is in any way a rape apologist, what are you doing still watching the show? If one scene that you read completely the wrong way makes you entirely ignore every other minute of this guy's oeuvre and you start assuming that he's catering to his "reddit fanbase" then I just don't know what to tell you except maybe you'd be better off finding a different show to watch.

Calling the entire season "tone deaf" is just dumb. Tone deaf in regards to what? Is the entire 2-episode flashback to his childhood "tone deaf", or are you just trying to write the guy off because you got defensive over how facile your reading of a television show is?

I appreciate and share your passion for the topic of rape jokes generally being dumb and useless (maybe even dangerous!), but you're just wrong. Sorry.

As for Season 5, I thought this was a great episode. It's been advertised as a sort of "return to form", and that's exactly what it was. It's really interesting how people latch onto the different aspects of the show as being the show's "true" character, or the way it always should be. Loyalists to season 1 hate all the others. Loyalists to season 2 hate all the others, etc. As someone who thought 2-3 were probably the perfect mix of humor, surrealism, and serialism, I have high hopes that season 5 will be another great romp.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Btw I got really uncomfortable during the Louie/Amia scene where he was pushing her to have sex but then the scene ends with them having sex and I'm like, alright that is kindof a lovely thing morale; but then the following week there is literally a break in the story; Elevator is put on hold and the first part of Pamela is shown, in which he does literally the same thing and Pam shuts him down while telling him in so many words that it is rape, and I'm like yes! Does it not occur to you that there is a purpose to that juxtaposition? I can only read it as a condemnation of forcing yourself on others.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just caught up with the premiere. Not the strongest episode ever, but I liked it more than most of last season, which frequently felt like it was too far up its own rear end.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I feel weird because I actually liked the Woods episode in season 4 I really disliked the Elevator plot line and the Pamela one, they both were weird and not that entertaining and dragged out too long and the Pamela one was too rapey. Young Louie wasn't great in the woods, but I felt it was a good look into how one can kill their childhood. It was a nice introspective episode not really funny but thought provoking. Also Renner was entertaining in his guest appearance and I really felt bad for the science teacher who had such high expectations for Louie.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

InfiniteZero posted:

+69 Pimp

Moving on ...

I liked last night's episode. The stand-up bit about aliens was funnier than most of his last special. The "I didn't come" line was laugh out loud funny. I'm glad this show is back.
lmao, hoist by their own r'tard

Agreed. The "I don't care about aliens" bit was great and certainly more quality vintage Louie than jokes from 'Live at the Comedy Store'. The only thing I didn't like about the ep was the repeated showcasing of the quirky one man band street musician which felt too indulgent and thematically disparate. Louie accidentally going to a cult's potluck was incredible.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Renner was imo really good and I'm not really a Renner-guy... anyway also the guy subbing for Hoffman was amazing (I knew I remembered him from somwhere, he's the driver in the big car chase in Ronin, Skipp Suduth).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I liked the one-man-banjo guy fwiw, added a nice hecticity to the senes as needed.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I liked the one-man-banjo guy fwiw, added a nice hecticity to the senes as needed.
It was the repeated interstitial footage that wasn't really linked to any element well. The hectic music was a fine accompaniment to mundane chaos, but I do prefer smooth jazz underpinning mortally embarrassing moments frozen in time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Btw I got really uncomfortable during the Louie/Amia scene where he was pushing her to have sex but then the scene ends with them having sex and I'm like, alright that is kindof a lovely thing morale; but then the following week there is literally a break in the story; Elevator is put on hold and the first part of Pamela is shown, in which he does literally the same thing and Pam shuts him down while telling him in so many words that it is rape, and I'm like yes! Does it not occur to you that there is a purpose to that juxtaposition? I can only read it as a condemnation of forcing yourself on others.

Nah dude you see the scene didn't end with Louie suddenly stopping and saying "I am sorry, Pamela, what I was doing was wrong, and something no man should ever do" while looking into the screen therefore Louis CK is pro-rape

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The so-called "rape" scene was funny. Stop being pills.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

For anyone else is who is sick of hearing about that scene: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712821

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

blue squares posted:

For anyone else is who is sick of hearing about that scene: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712821

Fine, gas my thread, let's have another 10 pages of why Louie is a rapist.

FWIW, I have written academic articles on gender issues. Not that this means I am suddenly enlightened and understand the plight of women, but my sentiment isn't coming from some misogynist viewpoint. I'm just sick of the discussion since it has been going since the end of last season

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

blue squares posted:

FWIW, I have written academic articles on gender issues.

So what you're saying is that your education is worthless.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 11, 2015

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm also education is worthless

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
SHUT UP ABOUT THE RAPE SCENE AND TALK ABOUT SEASON 5

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
I like the ep but if I recall correctly season 4 had a very funny standalone episode for an opener too. I just remember the intro with the garbage collectors busting in his room, that poo poo still makes me laugh when I think about it. Classic.

I'm wary of his 3-4 parters, nevermind a 7 episode bullshit arc that leads nowhere (luckily we're out of the woods for this one since its a 7 episode season). Anyone have a list of episode titles?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Fried chicken is delicious and gently caress that woman for not being excited for it

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So both KFC and Uber product placement?

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Do you think the scene with the therapist was a jab at Season 4? "Oh my God! I'm a boring rear end in a top hat now!"

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
So glad his relationship with Pamela didn't carry over into this season and we're back to fantastic awkwardness every time he hooks up with someone. The scene with the surrogate lady may have been my favorite since Blueberries.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Sub Rosa posted:

So both KFC and Uber product placement?

Deft analysis! I know I am jarred from a show when somebody uses anything that actually exists, especially ubiquitous stuff.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Oh wow, I didn't know this show was back on the air again.

Also I must be weird, because I liked the "young louie" actor.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Zedd posted:

Oh wow, I didn't know this show was back on the air again.

Also I must be weird, because I liked the "young louie" actor.

Young Louie Actor had the second best portrayal of the idiosyncracies of his adult counterpart last year.

The best was the college-age Nucky Thompson in Boardwalk Empire.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
I really liked the episode. The potluck confusion was a fantastic scene, great sense of "there are communities of nice, friendly people but you don't belong there, here's your community of selfish assholes who loathe you". Also the ending was great, it has that running theme of alienated people being desperate for human connection, but without being horribly pretentious and long-winded about it like Season 5.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

InfiniteZero posted:

Deft analysis! I know I am jarred from a show when somebody uses anything that actually exists, especially ubiquitous stuff.

I'm not usually, but I was this time, so I thought I'd mention it.

Also, gently caress you.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Yeah this first episode was pretty unremarkable, but I liked it well enough. I mean, he says it in the first two minutes or so: Louie's back to being a boring rear end in a top hat, probably to try and alleviate all the discussion on That Scene (my god pls stfu about it already, everything has already been said so shush) and general weird arthousey-ness of last season. But I'm excited nevertheless to see what dumb assholery Louis has in store for us.

God I wanted to punch that tall redhead lady right in her spectacled face.

edit: I'm glad season 4 was what it was though. It was far more interesting than most of the crap we've had on our TVs recently.

bubblelubble fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 13, 2015

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Jake Armitage posted:

Who said anything about a fight? I'm simply baffled that people defended that scene, and doubly baffled that people are still defending it. Louis CK himself finally commented on that scene, and not only didn't he back up the weird defenses of it, he just basically proved how tone deaf he actually is. That was the problem with basically all of Season 4 - just tone deaf all the way through.

That was last season, shut the gently caress up about it already. The scene was fine, it's a tv show. Relax before you burst something.

Glad the show is back but yeah bit of a slow start.

Edit: Whoops missed the modpost, my bad!

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 13, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Outside of Jane, the smartass doctor, and the episode "Model," there wasn't much to like about last season.

This episode, however, was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Some might call the beginning of Episode 2 lovely, but I loved it.

• Locked thread