Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

psydude posted:

Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

This is the best post of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Prescription Combs posted:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees).
Sprinkle both sides of brisket with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place in a large covered roasting pan.
Cook covered with no water at 325 degrees F (160 degrees C) allowing 1 hour per pound.
Before last hour of cooking, remove brisket and slice.

You make me sad

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

theperminator posted:

AFAIK, unless the owner wants to sell, or lets it expire there's not much that can be done.

I contacted the domain owner and he gave me some spiel about how domain is worth a lot give how cool the name sounds but declined to give a number. He also owns the domain names of thousands of others and is a pretty obvious squatter.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I finally got Icinga2 installed and working, even got some basic host configs done (so at least all my servers and firewalls are pinged), but now I can't get it to email me.

I really hate their "documentation", and it's made worse by their support posts/IRC where they just say some version of "RTFM". I did RTFM, the FM sucks dicks.

E: But I'll drink something from the whiskey family to make me feel better.
Are you familiar enough with Linux mail systems to figure out whether the emails are making it into your MTA from Icinga? You should have something in /var/log/maillog or similar.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

I contacted the domain owner and he gave me some spiel about how domain is worth a lot give how cool the name sounds but declined to give a number. He also owns the domain names of thousands of others and is a pretty obvious squatter.

He's trying to get you to give the the first number. If you throw out a number you can never go below that number. If he throws out a number it will never go higher.

I'd just ask him flat out, "if you can't give me a number I guess I'll just have to try a different domain name" Let him know you're disappointed, but not heart-broken and that it in no way inconveniences you. He'll probably come back with a number pretty quick.

If he gives you a dollar amount, cool. Start haggling. If not, oh well, see if you can work around NOT having the cool sounding domain name.

Also, before you start negotiating figure out what the real value of this domain is to you. Then figure out your pain point above that. Once you reach that point, walk away. Your goal is to hit what you've valued it at or below.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 10, 2015

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Is it wrong that I think his first offer should be "go gently caress yourself", with an undertone of "give it to me for free or you'll wish you had"?

Domain squatters get no respect.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So I've been trying to jump ship from my current company the last few weeks. I havent gone full bore job search yet just kind of casually applying to jobs that have an easy application process and let me just upload my resume. Also only looking at jobs that would be a step-up for me money and responsibility wise. Got an interview at a place and seemed to impress them. Came in for a second interview and met the president and went way over my scheduled time, was there almost 3 hours touring the place and just bullshitting with everyone. They asked me for a list of references last week. I provided them with them expecting them to just call the people I had listed. Instead they sent out this questionnaire via email:

Is it just me or is this crazy? I'm worried that for legal reasons a lot of my references wont even reply? One person did and forwarded me their glowing responses but still kind of makes me a worry that I might not be dealing with as professional of an organization as I thought.

This looks like they outsourced their reference checking. Our company did the same because we started hiring way more people than our HR dept could reasonably keep up with, and reference checking takes time. However the people we outsource to make this a phone conversation, not just a "fill out this survey" suddenly appearing in someone's inbox unexpectedly. I wouldn't read too much into it, I know we ask similar questions, and it just means they actually care about making sure you're not a serial killer.

Lots of places have policies about what they're allowed to say, but not all of them do, and it never hurts to ask. This is not a red flag.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Is it wrong that I think his first offer should be "go gently caress yourself", with an undertone of "give it to me for free or you'll wish you had"?

Domain squatters get no respect.

Well, given that it would be a completely empty and meaningless threat and would guarantee not getting the domain, it's probably not a good idea.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Guys, guys. Let's chill out, rerail and discuss something more on-topic. PYF thing you drink to forget:

I drink to forget what I do at work :v:

Nah, that was when I worked customer service for a credit card company. I was going out to a bar every night pretty much.

Just going out of what I've currently got in my cupboard,

+

or

+ .

I drink straight whiskey, but the right whiskey and ginger beer / ginger ale is great. It also let me get drunk more quickly, which helps the forgetting part. It helps to have a good amount of burn to the whiskey, without being overly sweet. I usually get Turkey 101 for it, but they only have the plastic bottles around here for some reason, and I have bottles of whiskey that are years old. You can also go with a cheap scotch like DeWars, although I'm not sure I'd recommend it with ginger beer. With ginger ale it gives the drink a nice musky taste, rather than the more fiery taste of Weller or Turkey. I feel like ginger beer might overwhelm it.

Rye and ginger ale also goes really well together, but I couldn't tell you what parts compliment each other.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
64 new posts since yesterday evening and no DAF, I'm disappointed

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

crunk dork posted:

64 new posts since yesterday evening and no DAF, I'm disappointed

He toxxed himself out of the thread many moons ago, IIRC.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Well....

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/04/hacked-french-network-exposed-its-own-passwords-during-tv-interview/

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

:lol:

That is precious.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
:yotj:! I took a new gig at Ft. Meade. Back to Maryland we go!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GOOCHY posted:

Welcome back to the fold, brother. May the blessings of Pit Beef and Bergers Cookies be upon you.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

GOOCHY posted:

Good avatar crew.

Erk&jerk is my Friday drink of choice. Maybe I'll spring for the vsop.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Docjowles posted:

Guys, guys. Let's chill out, rerail and discuss something more on-topic. PYF thing you drink to forget:

This is what I drink to forget. Except more.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

NZAmoeba posted:

This looks like they outsourced their reference checking. Our company did the same because we started hiring way more people than our HR dept could reasonably keep up with, and reference checking takes time. However the people we outsource to make this a phone conversation, not just a "fill out this survey" suddenly appearing in someone's inbox unexpectedly. I wouldn't read too much into it, I know we ask similar questions, and it just means they actually care about making sure you're not a serial killer.

Lots of places have policies about what they're allowed to say, but not all of them do, and it never hurts to ask. This is not a red flag.

Just got a call with an offer late last night as a matter of fact! They've offered me $5k less than what it will take to get me to jump ship so I'm going to call back and make a counter offer. Hopefully I can get everything wrapped up by end of day and have a formal offer letter sent so I can finally get out of my current gig.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Docjowles posted:

I'm not much of a liquor guy, so:

Haven't had any in too long. Now I gotta stop on my way home today.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm not much of a liquor guy, so:

Haven't had any in too long. Now I gotta stop on my way home today.

This is a man with good taste.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Misogynist posted:

Are you familiar enough with Linux mail systems to figure out whether the emails are making it into your MTA from Icinga? You should have something in /var/log/maillog or similar.

The short answer is "no", but I did end up looking in the logs and it doesn't look like it's even attempting to send. I'm sure I can figure it out, I was mostly ranting that Icinga's documentation blows.

GOOCHY posted:

Please ask the NSA to delete my dick pics, tia.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Misogynist posted:

Oh christ, I just did a cat /var/log/maillog on my personal server that's running Fail2ban and I'm still waiting for it to stop scrolling.

-rw------- 1 root root 36055443 Apr 10 15:08 maillog
-rw------- 1 root root 64739766 Mar 15 03:36 maillog-20150315
-rw------- 1 root root 54837330 Mar 22 03:07 maillog-20150322
-rw------- 1 root root 51409437 Mar 29 03:32 maillog-20150329
-rw------- 1 root root 50280412 Apr 5 03:10 maillog-20150405

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I guess this is as good a thread as any to ask this:

Whats the best ERP software that's not crazy expensive that you've seen someone work with and know is simple? I'm open to an online solution, there's no need to be on premises.

I'm talking about my father's company, with 3 employees, so we don't need SAP or anything big like that, but I think it's time to step it up and stop using pen&paper to manage a project and draft budgets.

(It's a metal manufacturing company, if that matters)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Prescription Combs posted:

Oh christ, I just did a cat /var/log/maillog on my personal server that's running Fail2ban and I'm still waiting for it to stop scrolling.

-rw------- 1 root root 36055443 Apr 10 15:08 maillog
-rw------- 1 root root 64739766 Mar 15 03:36 maillog-20150315
-rw------- 1 root root 54837330 Mar 22 03:07 maillog-20150322
-rw------- 1 root root 51409437 Mar 29 03:32 maillog-20150329
-rw------- 1 root root 50280412 Apr 5 03:10 maillog-20150405

CTRL+C stops this

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

evol262 posted:

CTRL+C stops this

Oh I know. It was more entertaining than anything due to the fact the logs were so huge. Guess I should actually configure some of the settings on this...

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Do you guys even bother replying to emails from out of state recruiters that, up front, ask for:

quote:

If you are Interested Please fill the below details send me along with your updated resume for further process.
Consultant Name:
Visa Validity:
Alternate Contact:
D.O.B:
Last 4 digit SSN Number:
Expected rate per hour:
2 Professional References:
Employer Details:

Job itself matches what I'm looking for, but no mention of compensation.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I've been at my job for 1.5 years now. I like the job, the salary is good, and I don't want to leave. However, I'm sort of thinking maybe I should line up an interview or two just to keep fresh. Is that a good idea?

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Do you guys even bother replying to emails from out of state recruiters that, up front, ask for:

Never. Unless you've passed through the interview phase and working with HR/Recruiting directly for a background check, I would never give that much information away.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Che Delilas posted:

He toxxed himself out of the thread many moons ago, IIRC.

Ya but the countdown is rolling on his inevitable nth drunken meltdown

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

None of this scotch crap, this is a good choice :hfive:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

GOOCHY posted:

I work in the area. Hit me up if you want to grab a beer some time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

None of this scotch crap, this is a good choice :hfive:

Why not both? :zoid:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I don't know where else to access. I am working on a PDF form in Acrobat with digital signatures on it. I'm trying to require a certain set of fields before it's allowed to be signed. I know if you set fields as required it doesn't let the form submit but I'm not sure how to make it work with digital signatures.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sacred Cow posted:

Never. Unless you've passed through the interview phase and working with HR/Recruiting directly for a background check, I would never give that much information away.

I was thinking about just sending back my resume and asking when a good time to talk to them would be.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just got a call with an offer late last night as a matter of fact! They've offered me $5k less than what it will take to get me to jump ship so I'm going to call back and make a counter offer. Hopefully I can get everything wrapped up by end of day and have a formal offer letter sent so I can finally get out of my current gig.

A word to all those who are afraid to negotiate when accepting a new job. Do it! It totally paid off. Called back the new place and was able to get a $10k more then I am now, plus a guaranteed %10 bonus this year and extra PTO days. Was not combative in the least. Just mentioned how excited I was to potentially come and all of the great ideas I had to bring value to the company. The guy said he would call me back and I was a bit worried I overplayed my hand, but he said he just talked it over with the CIO and that he agreed to the terms.

So happy to get out of the current mess that I'm in. Going to write up a long list of entertaining posts that I was waiting to get off my chest.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

orange sky posted:

I guess this is as good a thread as any to ask this:

Whats the best ERP software that's not crazy expensive that you've seen someone work with and know is simple? I'm open to an online solution, there's no need to be on premises.

I'm talking about my father's company, with 3 employees, so we don't need SAP or anything big like that, but I think it's time to step it up and stop using pen&paper to manage a project and draft budgets.

(It's a metal manufacturing company, if that matters)

Most of my machine shop/manufacturing guys run some form of aging Vista installation. The only other software they've spoken about that wasn't complete garbage and a possible Vista replacement was ShopTech.

Most small-medium business software is bad but the ERP stuff really takes it up a notch since literally everyone wants to act like Boeing is going to buy theirs if they add enough "features". Good luck.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Someone needs to cut all telephone lines to Comodo's sales dept. Every as soon as a cert goes to 89 days 59min and 59 seconds from expiration, they call like 3 times a day posing as the company you bought the cert from trying to get you to renew with them. Pain in the rear end.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

psydude posted:

I work in the area. Hit me up if you want to grab a beer some time.

I don't know if you remember it but we exchanged PMs a few years ago regarding my wife and I wanting to move back to the Maryland/NoVA area. I've been pretty much working to make this happen ever since.

It's not the easiest thing to try to convince an employer to interview you when you're half way across the country. A security clearance helps grease those wheels.

I'll definitely hit you up once I can get settled out there.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Because we use such an outdated system for paging, it took me and another tech almost an hour to set up our system to send me a text if I get a page this weekend instead of a page, because I'll be out of the range of our pagers.

It involved setting up the software to send an email to my phone number, so then AT&T sends it as a text. But even after that, there were like three schedules and two action routines in the drat software that had to be edited to include that.

We're set to demo a smartphone paging system next month, and I can't wait. Right now everything is one way, so even if I get a page I know is pointless, I have to get up, VPN in, remote to the server the software runs on, and acknowledge the drat page.

In theory, I should be able to use our intranet page for it and not have to remote to the server, but that page flakes out and only works 50% of the time.

With the smartphone-based system we can acknowledge the alert in the app, in theory, so I can just hit a button while still lying in bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Recruiters using this kind of template never get a response regardless of location, compensation, or anything else.