Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malikov
Jan 25, 2015
That Gleed article on PW.net about TNAs popularity in the UK is embarrassing

Dude reached out to one of the guys at mecca for a quote haha

They attract such an idiotic following in the uk.

Malikov fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

triplexpac posted:

Does this guy think that HHH winning matches gives him more shares in WWE stock or something?

John Cena owns 95% of WWE at this point.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Malikov posted:

That Gleed article on PW.net about TNAs popularity in the UK is embarrassing

Dude reached out to one of the guys at mecca for a quote haha

They attract such an idiotic following in the uk.

I think the UK is just starved for a wrestling product that has recognizable faces, and TNA does still have guys like Angle.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think he has a bit of a point with the UK fans wanting to cheer on a "hometown" guy, but the notion that WWE can learn anything from their declining attendance is laughable. I don't think there was a single UK show that TNA didn't paper the poo poo out of, while WWE does great business when they come over every year despite being on a more expensive cable tier.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

Does this guy think that HHH winning matches gives him more shares in WWE stock or something?

uh it's called a pay window for a reason

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
As a UK person I can guarantee that WWE sells way more merch here than TNA

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
AJ Styles had a really good/sad explanation of how he found out that TNA's" success" in the UK is completely illusory.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wherezat at

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

epitasis posted:

wherezat at

It was on one of his Observer interviews. Basically they were told about how great they were doing but didn't know it was because they were on a basic station while WWE was premium. He started figuring it out when he saw how TNA stars never got magazine covers there, there was little interest in the product, merchandising and how their tours never grew.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

idk if it was the same interview but I remember recently someone breaking down the myth of tna > wwe in the uk pretty decisively

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
TNA is on a channel (Is? Was? Can't be arsed to check but I would imagine still is) that you can either get with a one-time purchase of a box to sit on your tv, or is just built into your TV now. WWE is on the equivalent of cable. So assuming TNA are pushing some hilarious bullshit like "number of households that could watch TNA" (which of course they are), that's probably most people in the UK now.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I think that was the same interview where he talked about begging TNA to put some kind of branding on their trailers and always meeting fans at local gyms who had no idea TNA was in town because their advertising sucked

Malikov
Jan 25, 2015
When do TNA usually announce UK tours for the following year ?

just out of interest

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Malikov posted:

When do TNA usually announce UK tours for the following year ?

just out of interest

In recent years they announce it during the tour.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
The story about the UK was from AJ on the Austin podcast I think, unless he's talked about it more than once (he probably has, there's a lot of dumb to cover).

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
TNA being more popular than WWE in the UK is about as credible as the nebulous episodes of WWE shows that they edit to make Khali seem like the main character in India that I've never actually seen or heard of a single clip from.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It's on a free to air channel that exists solely to show game show reruns (going back up to 30 years) and I have no idea why they thought that the best kind of "current day" programming to add to the lineup was wrestling and least of all loving TNA.

It's literally the only thing shown on the channel that isn't a repeat of a game show or panel quiz or talent competition.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

A wrestling and old game show channel on free tv actually sounds really loving awesome. Shame they don't have better wrestling.

gently caress, instead of lovely but still expensive new programs the WWE Network should acquire old episodes of Press Your Luck and Let's Make a Deal. I'm sure they'd be dirt cheap.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

It's on a free to air channel that exists solely to show game show reruns (going back up to 30 years) and I have no idea why they thought that the best kind of "current day" programming to add to the lineup was wrestling and least of all loving TNA.

It's literally the only thing shown on the channel that isn't a repeat of a game show or panel quiz or talent competition.

Game shows are really cheap programming so I bet they went with TNA because their rights fees are dirt cheap and they do bring in a bit of an audience.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Thauros posted:

A wrestling and old game show channel on free tv actually sounds really loving awesome. Shame they don't have better wrestling.

gently caress, instead of lovely but still expensive new programs the WWE Network should acquire old episodes of Press Your Luck and Let's Make a Deal. I'm sure they'd be dirt cheap.

I think there'd probably be a legit audience for WWE-themed game shows, at least as a Network show. WWE Jeopardy, WWE Bumper Stumpers, WWE Shopzone Sweep...

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Seeing TNA on Challenge TV was a weird experience (Not sure if I'm the only UK'er in the thread) but it used to be on at about 11 or midnight, in SD and I would be surprised if anyone watching it hadn't accidentally stumbled across it. It came as part of one of the Freeview channels, which is basically built into your TV these days, and usually contains shopping channels and various other things of low quality.

They were sandwiched right in between episodes of Bullseye (The most British game show ever created).

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 10, 2015

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think there'd probably be a legit audience for WWE-themed game shows, at least as a Network show. WWE Jeopardy, WWE Bumper Stumpers, WWE Shopzone Sweep...

TNA will counter by recreating Legends of The Hidden Temple except the temple is actually Dixie's basement.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Yeah, TNA is on a free-to-air digital terrestrial channel, whereas Raw and SD are on Sky's premier sports channels that cost £25/mo. To their credit, that's a seven-channel line-up with most Premier League football, half of the Formula 1 schedule, and a poo poo lot of cricket, and we do get six "free" PPVs (we even got Fastlane on the basic package!) and the rest discounted against the States, but still. :smith:

Incidentally, if you're wondering why Main Event got booted off the Network and onto Hulu, it's because of Sky having first-transmission rights for it here in the UK. Because geofencing or not showing live TV has never been done with on demand services ever.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Another thing is that TNA is on at 9pm on a Sunday, while Raw is 1am on a Monday. Though most of the time if I'm flicking through channels and get to Challenge and TNA is on I'll just move on because that's not what I'm after if I'm that far down the EPG.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

MassRafTer posted:

Game shows are really cheap programming so I bet they went with TNA because their rights fees are dirt cheap and they do bring in a bit of an audience.

It's sort of this. The channel TNA was on in the UK beforehand, Bravo went bust with little warning, which meant TNA found itself without a TV partner in the UK. Sky had first option on bidding for any Bravo content, but wasn't allowed as part of its deal with WWE to have any other wrestling shows on their channels*. With Sky not being able to bid for it, there was a firesale and they ended up with Challenge for less than the Bravo contract was for. (They actually get paid more now than they did previously but its still not much to write home about.)

*It gets slightly more complicated as technically Challenge is part owned by Sky but it isn't considered part of the "Sky Family."

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

njsykora posted:

Another thing is that TNA is on at 9pm on a Sunday, while Raw is 1am on a Monday. Though most of the time if I'm flicking through channels and get to Challenge and TNA is on I'll just move on because that's not what I'm after if I'm that far down the EPG.

Raw is basically half of Sky Sports 3's programming anyway, I imagine the combined viewing figures aren't that bad.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Is that meant to be to the tune of the Saved By The Bell theme? Because it doesn't work at all.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

TinTower posted:

Raw is basically half of Sky Sports 3's programming anyway, I imagine the combined viewing figures aren't that bad.

Sky does a weird thing with its viewing figures in that it doesn't release actual figures. Everything is instead a percentage of the subscribers, which causes further abstraction because they keep the number of subscribers a closely guarded secret. Most viewing figures are already an approximation, but with Sky it's even more so.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

good lord

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

who would want to watch young vs. roode in 2015

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

HulkaMatt posted:

who would want to watch young vs. roode in 2015

It's a confluence of elements: Young has always been very charismatic and Roode has quietly become a great wrestler and some people suffer from massive brain damage.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Is that meant to be to the tune of the Saved By The Bell theme? Because it doesn't work at all.

So I'm not crazy. I kept trying to make that scan.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

So I'm not crazy. I kept trying to make that scan.

Yeah no it literally could not work less if it tried.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Did nobody get the text of the latest Mets meltdown?!?!?

http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/31uk3p/im_officially_out_of_here/

also lol a mere two months ago https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/2ssbyk/gabe_sapolsky_responds_to_metsfans_report_about/cnslwzt

love reddit

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Cached version is "I got a message from the Mods. I am going to be taking a break for a long time. For real this time. "

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The mods privately gave him an ultimatum of "stop posting or we're banning you", he posted to essentially say "I'm gone but may be back eventually", and at least one mod posted in-thread hinting that if he does and is as full of poo poo as he was when he left, he's getting banned for good

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

It's a work.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You can get banned from a subreddit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

You can get banned from a subreddit?

You have been banned from /r/pyongyang