Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

POKEMAN SAM posted:

I believe the manual says it'll autobrake for pedestrians that jump out but I don't know how to test that.

Come on, you don't have that one dumb friend that does something stupid for a 12 pack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Come on, you don't have that one dumb friend that does something stupid for a 12 pack?

I'm too much of a baby to risk hurting the car :(

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

POKEMAN SAM posted:

I'm too much of a baby to risk hurting the car :(

I am supposed to have that feature too but I do t think my car has it. The documentation and packages are woefully unclear. I have driver assistance with the camera but I don't have adaptive cruise control with stop and go, which I know adds more functionality.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
chic-fil-a trip report: regular chicken is slightly below Popeye's standard, but the spicy is better (plenty of flavor, but not "brown ring of fire" hot.) waffle fries were on point. That general part of Bellevue would have been too much of a poo poo show for a meet today.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

BraveUlysses posted:

12-15k in the PNW, which is insane IMO. That's cheapish m3 territory but I want a sedan.

That's true, but it's also kind of misleading. $14-15k is really bottom of the barrel territory for e46 M3s (at least around here), but $10-11k is enough to find a low-ish mileage 330 in really good shape with a very solid maintenance history. You're not going to find an M3 for anywhere near that price unless you're really willing to compromise on condition and maintenance.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

HEY VAPER posted:

chic-fil-a trip report: regular chicken is slightly below Popeye's standard, but the spicy is better (plenty of flavor, but not "brown ring of fire" hot.) waffle fries were on point. That general part of Bellevue would have been too much of a poo poo show for a meet today.

a popeyes recently opened right down the street from my work, it's probably going to kill me

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

HEY VAPER posted:

I honestly feel bad for those who have not experienced the greatness that is Truett Cathy's homophobic, southern baptist fries. Truly divinely inspired.

Everyone Else posted:

ZHP prices

My ZHP bumper is getting lonely and I want a change on the touring. I want to pick up a set of style 135s but they've suddenly shot through the roof in price.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

HEY VAPER posted:

chic-fil-a trip report: regular chicken is slightly below Popeye's standard, but the spicy is better (plenty of flavor, but not "brown ring of fire" hot.)

So what I'm gathering from this post is that I should just continue going to Popeyes and hold the side of born-again shitheadery.

gently caress chick-fil-a and all the people who continue to give them business. t:mad:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

HotCanadianChick posted:

gently caress chick-fil-a and all the people who continue to give them business. t:mad:

Quoted for truth. I ate there when I was commuting to Georgia, until I learned about their politics. Assholes. t:mad:

Sevensin
Nov 6, 2013

Only
Half
Gar-
Bage
Dick

Cojawfee posted:

Some guy posted that he was changing his spark plugs on facebook.

This is from the San Antonio Eurotic group? As I recall, he managed to break at least one more hose and couldn't figure out if he connected the jb4 correctly. I'm not that mechanically inclined myself but this guy makes me look like a master mechanic.

Anyhow I've quit the Audi gang and joined the BMW crew. Best car I've ever owned. Sorry for awful picture.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Alarbus posted:

The catch is, even if you do trade it in, if you get something new, it won't be as luxury/sport as this, and if you get something used, you're picking up someone else's maintenance debt (again).

Yeah, I can't really get excited about an underpowered Jeep Compass with cloth seats and 20k miles on it at this point, and that was about the best thing I could afford right now. I will keep my Bimmer and start turning some wrenches on stuff I can do and space out the stuff I can't.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My 335d threw a SES code today. :classiclol:

barakus
Aug 4, 2005
I posted a while back about my M54 burning oil after changing all the CCV stuff. It was burning a quart every 350 miles and now that's down to about every 1000 miles. I have a clue I'm hoping somebody can help me understand: Sometimes when I check the oil level it is extremely high. This is often after the car has sat overnight. This is happened even after a very recent oil change, so I know the level isn't actually too high.

Cleaning the oil off and rechecking shows a normal level. So I'm guessing that what is happening is that oil is being held in the CCV system and dumped back down into the dipstick tube all at once, but vacuum doesn't allow that oil to drop down into the crankcase until I've removed the dipstick. Does that sound plausible? Why would it be happening if so?

Edit: 1000 miles, not 100!

barakus fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 10, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

My 335d threw a SES code today. :classiclol:

That's what you get for abandoning your E30 after you got everything working how you wanted it.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

coolmancraig posted:

$4000. I wasn't going to hardball him given its in pretty good nick. Not sure on the wheels, I'll have a look tomorrow. I much prefer the basketweaves too so I might do something similar.

I'm actually holding off driving it too much until I get rid of the clunk. Not the best feeling when you need to brake quickly but I'm definitely looking forward to taking this baby down south when its all buttoned up.

That's a ridiculously good price! You going to fix the clunk and wrench it yourself? Even with busted front suspension the E34 is still a smooth ride.

How does it work in WA, do you have to have a RWC when transferring over (like Vic) or just pay a transfer fee (like here in NSW)?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NitroSpazzz posted:

That's what you get for abandoning your E30 after you got everything working how you wanted it.

Apparently so, gently caress. Car goes back to the dealer and depending on what happens I may be looking for something to replace it with.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Never give up a cheap clean E30.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
That's bad advice. Give all your clean E30s to me thanks in advance

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

barakus posted:

I posted a while back about my M54 burning oil after changing all the CCV stuff. It was burning a quart every 350 miles and now that's down to about every 1000 miles. I have a clue I'm hoping somebody can help me understand: Sometimes when I check the oil level it is extremely high. This is often after the car has sat overnight. This is happened even after a very recent oil change, so I know the level isn't actually too high.

Cleaning the oil off and rechecking shows a normal level. So I'm guessing that what is happening is that oil is being held in the CCV system and dumped back down into the dipstick tube all at once, but vacuum doesn't allow that oil to drop down into the crankcase until I've removed the dipstick. Does that sound plausible? Why would it be happening if so?

Edit: 1000 miles, not 100!

Always always clean the dipstick before "checking" the level. Pull, clean, insert, pull, check.

This goes for any car, even ones that don't recirculate CCV fumes back down the dipstick tube, because the crankshaft is always slinging oil around and it gets on the dipstick.

Pierced Bronson fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 10, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sevensin posted:

This is from the San Antonio Eurotic group? As I recall, he managed to break at least one more hose and couldn't figure out if he connected the jb4 correctly. I'm not that mechanically inclined myself but this guy makes me look like a master mechanic.

Anyhow I've quit the Audi gang and joined the BMW crew. Best car I've ever owned. Sorry for awful picture.

You in it too? It was his CCV hose I think.

Are you going to the go kart thing in June?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

piercedbronson posted:

Always always clean the dipstick before "checking" the level. Pull, clean, insert, pull, check.

Also these motors should only be checked at operating temperature, after five minutes of sitting. It's what the owner's manual says, and my anecdotal evidence would agree that if you check it cold, you're going to read quite a bit low.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Just finished my BMW's break-in period!

(yes I know I need to wash my cluster)

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Just finished my BMW's break-in period!

(yes I know I need to wash my cluster)

How is that odometer still going?

I had one fail at 200k, so I swapped with another cluster from a parts car I had. That odometer failed 15 miles later.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Dyscrasia posted:

Superior German Engineering! :science:

quote:

I had one fail at 200k, so I swapped with another cluster from a parts car I had. That odometer failed 15 miles later.
:airquote: Superior :airquote: German Engineering! :eng99:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Dyscrasia posted:

http://store.garagistic.com/ocart/odometer-gears

barakus
Aug 4, 2005

piercedbronson posted:

because the crankshaft is always slinging oil around and it gets on the dipstick.

See, that sort of makes sense but I never saw this before I replaced all the CCV stuff. Twice. It's driving me a little bit crazy.

No smoke, no drips, and it used about a quart every 3500 miles before I replaced the CCV as preventative maintenance. I'm probably going to replace the CCV once again this coming summer, but I'm getting annoyed at throwing the same parts at the same problem on and on, eternally.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Dyscrasia posted:

It's still on original odometer gears, believe it or not. There's a lot of things on this car that I'm legitimately surprised still work. Central locking poo poo itself a couple months ago, but outside of that and my driveline lash the only real issue with it is an AC leak I have yet to bother diagnosing. Some messed up interior bits here and there (of which, I have parts for everything short of the shift boot) but IT HAS A CRACK FREE DASH!!!

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

I've put an unknown number of miles on at this point. I figure gently caress it now, I don't like pulling the cluster, way too tight for my hands to fit.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My E30 was an airbag car and I had cluster removal down to about five minutes by the end there. I think my car was well over 300k judging by the mileage on the cluster and the amount of years that it was reported on carfax with the same mileage. :v:

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

hawaiian_robot posted:

How does it work in WA, do you have to have a RWC when transferring over (like Vic) or just pay a transfer fee (like here in NSW)?

No RWCs, which is great news ever after living in Victoria, though there are a few real shitheaps on the road as a result.

Buyer and seller just fill out and sign a form and lodge their halves with the Department of Transport, and the DoT sends the buyer a bill for all the fees.

They also have fractional registration over here, so you can pay for 3, 6, or 12 months at a time.

Only downer here is that *all* trailers have to be registered - You can't buy a 6x5 box trailer and just slap a copy of your car's number plate on it like you can in Melbourne.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

My E30 was an airbag car and I had cluster removal down to about five minutes by the end there. I think my car was well over 300k judging by the mileage on the cluster and the amount of years that it was reported on carfax with the same mileage. :v:

I figure it's not polite to ask a a car it's age.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1629018-Oil-consumption-after-CCV-replacement

seems like a very good discussion on the subject, but I read most everything up to page 4 and while there was some sound theory it was mostly still head scratching. Im on my cell tho at a buddies house but I have a feeling the answer is there.

SeņorMisterioso
Nov 4, 2003
El muy misterioso
hahahhaha, wait, what? This E30 M3 has the most bizarre combination of work done on it, poor thing is on the verge of going to rice hell.

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/4967497316.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

SeņorMisterioso posted:

hahahhaha, wait, what? This E30 M3 has the most bizarre combination of work done on it, poor thing is on the verge of going to rice hell.

Part of me says someone should rescue this car from further abuse. The other part says it might be too far into "basket case" territory already.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Dyscrasia posted:

They usually fail when hitting the trip odometer, especially if you're rolling.

Mine were original at 183k and I broke them after the first fill-up. It's not too bad fixing the gears though.

Sevensin
Nov 6, 2013

Only
Half
Gar-
Bage
Dick

Cojawfee posted:

You in it too? It was his CCV hose I think.

Are you going to the go kart thing in June?

Yep and yeah I think it was the ccv hose.

I hadn't decided on the go-karting thing yet but now all that's on hold a minute. What was really a minor accident today blew both front airbags, shattered the windows/windshield and some minor front end stuff it looked like. Haven't even gotten the title in the mail yet. Ah well, worst case I'll be on the hunt for another BMW, the short time I've had this one has sold me big time.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SeņorMisterioso posted:

It's still going to sell quickly.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

HotCanadianChick posted:

So what I'm gathering from this post is that I should just continue going to Popeyes and hold the side of born-again shitheadery.

Chick-Fil-a is awesome. gently caress the haters....

coolmancraig
Aug 13, 2007
Don't you know how popular I am in real life?

hawaiian_robot posted:

That's a ridiculously good price! You going to fix the clunk and wrench it yourself? Even with busted front suspension the E34 is still a smooth ride.

Yep I'll do it all myself. I've turned practically every nut and bolt on my e30 and commodore so I'm confident I can wrench on this sucka. Plus suspension work is pretty easy!

I just drove it to the shops and it didn't seem to want to get out of 2nd or 3rd gear (doing 60km/h) - on the way home it was fine. Looks like I need to do that valve body sooner rather than later. Or let it die a slow death and look for a manual trans to swap in. Decisions.... Other than that it's all sweet, no rust, all electrics work and the engine is smooth as butter.

And what metaxus said... my e30 shouldn't have been allowed on the road when I bought it. As long as you keep the rego paid theres no inspections or anything which is good and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Senior Funkenstien posted:

Chick-Fil-a is awesome. gently caress the haters....

It's a pretty mediocre chicken sandwich. I have had way better.