Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Jose Oquendo posted:

Not as brutal as that but more than what you'd see on network TV.

On that note, the opening to 1x03 :stare:

Opening of 1x07 would disagree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I realised what was bothering me about 1x07. It felt like an episode of Arrow.

1x08
The monologues on this show aren't good in my opinion. Like Urich's article and Wilson's public speech.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 10, 2015

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

In 1x03 the vaccine joke made my wife and I have to pause just to laugh at how perfect that was.

So let's assume that this show is an unmitigated amazing success via whatever secret internal numbers Netflix has. Is there any chance Marvel and Netflix get a season 2 greenlit/signed/filmed before Defenders airs or are we looking at a 5 year gap before we get more actual Daredevil episodes? Because I don't want to wait that long :(

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

1x02
The final action shot reminded me of a poor man's Old Boy, it was a nice touch.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Optimus Subprime posted:

1x02
The final action shot reminded me of a poor man's Old Boy, it was a nice touch.

Nothing poor about it, that was a quality action scene that is just as impressive as the scene it most strongly evokes.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Stunt Rock posted:

Nothing poor about it, that was a quality action scene that is just as impressive as the scene it most strongly evokes.

I thought it was cool, just a bit too much on the nose for what it was reference to. Also it was not nearly as good choreography wise.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Optimus Subprime posted:

I thought it was cool, just a bit too much on the nose for what it was reference to. Also it was not nearly as good choreography wise.

I liked the choreography, and how tired/sloppy he was by the end of it. It really did look like he was just in a gigantic fight against people who couldnt take him one-on-one but could grind him down.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have no idea how so many of you have gotten through so many episodes. I barely made it through three last night.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It gets better.

E:Now that Marvel has the rights to Punisher again, they absolutely have to give it this treatment, it would be amazing.
The Punisher seriously needs to have a gender reboot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

osietra posted:

They've had a couple female characters in that role before. It's been fine, but there's no substitute for Frank Castle.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

1x06

drat, Vladimir went out like a champ.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
1x03
Why did they still need the hung jury to get Healy acquitted? I thought he was just going to walk free anyway after Matt's closing speech.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

osietra posted:

Nah, Frank Castle being a dude is... I wouldn't say literally inherent to the character but definitely thematically inherent. He's pretty much a ticking time bomb of toxic masculinity that detonated in the direction of organized crime.

1x01

Huh, a DeKnight show that actually shies away from showing a titty. Never would have guessed.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

less laughter posted:

1x03
Why did they still need the hung jury to get Healy acquitted? I thought he was just going to walk free anyway after Matt's closing speech.

His speech seemed like just rhetoric, like Healy thought, but it actually exhorted the jury to think for themselves. The hung jury shows that they're not a lost cause, I think.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Nah, Frank Castle being a dude is... I wouldn't say literally inherent to the character but definitely thematically inherent. He's pretty much a ticking time bomb of toxic masculinity that detonated in the direction of organized crime.

1x01

Huh, a DeKnight show that actually shies away from showing a titty. Never would have guessed.

I imagine Marvel Studios probably have a "if you wouldn't see it in a Daredevil comic, you won't see it in the show" rule regarding content.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

1x08 JESUS that flashback's conculsion. Also, all those I-beams in Kingpin's house is just glaring at me with their stark nakedness.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

His speech seemed like just rhetoric, like Healy thought, but it actually exhorted the jury to think for themselves. The hung jury shows that they're not a lost cause, I think.

What no? That head jury lady was very clearly under pressure. She had been gotten to as well.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Heathen posted:

1x03

The guy knew Wesley had blackmailed a juror into purposely voting against the others guaranteeing a hung jury. If an unanimous decision can't be reached the result is a mistrial. The judge issued an Allen Charge which is legal speak for Are You loving Kidding Me? Meaning the time, effort and costs of the mistrial would make the prosecutors unlikely to attempt a retrial.

This is really confusing and I still don't understand the order of events in the episode, and none of the reviews and recaps out there so far seem to really do so either because they just gloss over it. I've been reading recaps and legal articles to try and grasp what happened for longer than the episode itself was now, it's pretty frustrating and souring my enjoyment of the show. You shouldn't need a law degree to be able to follow a plotline on a comic book show.

Drifter posted:

What no? That head jury lady was very clearly under pressure. She had been gotten to as well.

Yeah that's definitely true.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Drifter posted:

I remember that, but I guess I misread the scene because I forgot how American justice system works. Like juries need unanimous verdicts.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

1x08

Haha she makes him dress like comic book kingpin.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I remember that, but I guess I misread the scene because I forgot how American justice system works. Like juries need unanimous verdicts.

That had nothing to do with American Justice :911: and everything to do with some lady acting distressed.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Drifter posted:

That had nothing to do with American Justice :911: and everything to do with some lady acting distressed.

But was the jury hung because she voted guilty or not guilty? Not guilty would imply all the other jurors voted guilty which wouldn't make sense after the evidence presented in the case and Matt's closing speech, and if she voted guilty that wouldn't make sense either since the master plan was to get Healy acquitted and if all the others already voted not guilty then why would they still need a hung jury for that?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

1x09

OH poo poo HAND NINJAS RIGHT OFF THE BAT

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm on episode 04 and i just kind of want to say this is loving amazing. I'm taking my time I'll finish it stoday but Imma take breaks between, this is just loving crazy good.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cael posted:

So let's assume that this show is an unmitigated amazing success via whatever secret internal numbers Netflix has. Is there any chance Marvel and Netflix get a season 2 greenlit/signed/filmed before Defenders airs or are we looking at a 5 year gap before we get more actual Daredevil episodes? Because I don't want to wait that long :(

Oh god I didn't think of this. :( But I'd say there's a chance. I mean we're talking literal years, Defenders is a miniseries, and AFAIK TV shows are easier to put together a little more rapidly because they typically involve less post than a big budget blockbuster, but I might be talking out of my rear end here. Of course Netflix releasing full seasons complicates things a little but with a typical TV season it's actually pretty common for them to work on episodes while a season is ongoing. It's partly why mid-season hiatuses exist.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
So, how much overlap is there between the creative teams of the four series? Because if teh Iron Dragon one is even close to this, it's going to kick so much rear end!

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

^^ :doom:

I'd think that as long as the production teams working on DD, Defenders, Cage, AKA and Iron Fist don't have a lot of overlap we could conceivably get another season in a "normal" timeframe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If they wanted to and they had the budget for it they could easily fit in another season of Daredevil before Defenders. Since the cast and crew are not going to be tied up in the other shows. The only roadblocks are money, actor availability, and if it fits into their plan. They are in the middle of filming the Jessica Jones series now and I would probably expect it out later this year. With Cage out early next year and Iron Fist late next year.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Stick. :stare:

1x08
THAT loving COLD OPEN.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also something to keep in mind is that The Defenders is not a full series like the other four. It's only going to be somewhere between four and eight episodes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Deadpool posted:

Also something to keep in mind is that The Defenders is not a full series like the other four. It's only going to be somewhere between four and eight episodes.

Now I'm curious who the villain is gonna be.

Based on 1x09 The Hand's appearance, could it be Gorgon?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Am I am on episode 6, still holding out for Stilt-Man.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

If they wanted to and they had the budget for it they could easily fit in another season of Daredevil before Defenders. Since the cast and crew are not going to be tied up in the other shows. The only roadblocks are money, actor availability, and if it fits into their plan. They are in the middle of filming the Jessica Jones series now and I would probably expect it out later this year. With Cage out early next year and Iron Fist late next year.

And budget sure as poo poo isn't a problem given that we're talking about the parties involved being Marvel, Netflix, and motherfucking Disney. I looked it up and the Avengers budget was $220 million and it grossed $1.5 BILLION :stare:. Not to mention the bank they make on the "individual" movies. There is sweet, sweet money to be made by keeping the MCU brand going strong, I'd imagine. I dunno how the ROI works with TV, especially internet TV, but if it causes people to sign up for Netflix, I'd imagine they'd offer sweet, sweet cash for more MCU.

Also 1x09:

HOLY gently caress THAT NOBU ENDING. AND THEN FISK. :vince:

Deadpool posted:

Yeah, the fact that it's a miniseries is significant.

I looked it up and other than The Incredible Hulk, every MCU movie has at LEAST doubled it's budget, generally more. Holy shitballs.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 11, 2015

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Who the gently caress is the Iron Dragon? I'd watch that show, whatever it is.

Netflix, with its last two shows, has really gotten a hang of its distribution model. Or, more likely, the writers have gotten the hang of it. It feels so weird and yet so right to watch a show that doesn't stop and start with every act break - even if there aren't ads - or feel the need to slow down and revamp between episodes. A part of me misses having that downtime every episode, like I don't think Matt appears for stretches of hours at a time, but on the other hand it makes this seem like the most extreme two-parter, like the whole season is a super-length finale and that's great.

When I first saw Joe Carnahan's proof of concept trailer for a gritty, seventies style Daredevil I loved it but thought, no way will we ever get that. Then here we are, not three years later. As for season two, I'm a bit worried where the show goes without Drew Goddard. DeKnight is doing a great job, but he doesn't have the best record for consistency and I can see the violence losing its appeal if it doesn't have the weird, extended Red Dragon-esque Date Night scenes to temper it. I really wish Goddard would stop pogoing from project to project and just picksomething to write.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
They are definitely drawing a lot from Miller, but I hope they manage to stay clear of his more dubious stuff . So far it's looking pretty good though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Viginti posted:

Who the gently caress is the Iron Dragon? I'd watch that show, whatever it is.

Netflix, with its last two shows, has really gotten a hang of its distribution model. Or, more likely, the writers have gotten the hang of it. It feels so weird and yet so right to watch a show that doesn't stop and start with every act break - even if there aren't ads - or feel the need to slow down and revamp between episodes. A part of me misses having that downtime every episode, like I don't think Matt appears for stretches of hours at a time, but on the other hand it makes this seem like the most extreme two-parter, like the whole season is a super-length finale and that's great.

When I first saw Joe Carnahan's proof of concept trailer for a gritty, seventies style Daredevil I loved it but thought, no way will we ever get that. Then here we are, not three years later. As for season two, I'm a bit worried where the show goes without Drew Goddard. DeKnight is doing a great job, but he doesn't have the best record for consistency and I can see the violence losing its appeal if it doesn't have the weird, extended Red Dragon-esque Date Night scenes to temper it. I really wish Goddard would stop pogoing from project to project and just picksomething to write.

Drew Goddard wrote the pilot and was an executive producer but outside of that I believe he didn't have much to do with it. He had to step away to prep a Spider-Man spinoff movie that never materialized. Yes, he set up the tone with the pilot but pretty much the rest of the show was under DeKnight.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
1x08

Did Fisk's revealing himself come off as weird to anyone else? It wasn't clear what he was doing, exactly. Just holding a press conference about nothing? In another episode Vanessa makes a reference to Matt being a "donor"… I wonder if he was supposed to announce a campaign for mayor or governor or something and they sliced that subplot out.

Also possible he actually announced a run for mayor during that speech and I missed it somehow, I guess.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

morestuff posted:

1x08

Did Fisk's revealing himself come off as weird to anyone else? It wasn't clear what he was doing, exactly. Just holding a press conference about nothing? In another episode Vanessa makes a reference to Matt being a "donor"… I wonder if he was supposed to announce a campaign for mayor or governor or something and they sliced that subplot out.

Also possible he actually announced a run for mayor during that speech and I missed it somehow, I guess.

there is a tradition in fiction to pretend that a rich man can hold a press conference talking about how much of a great guy he is and how he wants to help everyone

and everyone just goes "well, that's great!" and accepts it.

so yeah, this is that :V

Musluk
May 23, 2011

the word charity was thrown around on the TV conference, in one of the tickers. He probably paid his way to some charity after the bombs and made a press conference addressing both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Musluk posted:

the word charity was thrown around on the TV conference, in one of the tickers. He probably paid his way to some charity after the bombs and made a press conference addressing both

That would make more sense.