Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Irisize posted:

"Super Robot Wars with things besides robots" is am idea that I'm always surprised they haven't jumped onto yet.

They have. It's always replaced by Anime GIrls, Usually With Big TIts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

They have. It's always replaced by Anime GIrls, Usually With Big TIts.

Examples? I've seen some things that are close, but the gameplay systems are usually at least a bit different.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Irisize posted:

Examples? I've seen some things that are close, but the gameplay systems are usually at least a bit different.

Super Heroine Chronicle.

Frankly, I'm not interested until they add Railgun or Shana or something.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

There was a Zone of the Enders GBA game that was basically a Super Robot Wars game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Battle Moon Wars is a fangame, but it's pretty okay. And has better animations than some official SRW games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm6thqiF3sQ

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ethiser posted:

There was a Zone of the Enders GBA game that was basically a Super Robot Wars game.

It was made by Winkysoft, which probably helps.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Irisize posted:

Super Heroine Chronicles and stuff like the Queen's Blade games come to mind.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Fantasy Maiden Wars is literally Touhou SRW.

Still wish some of the gameplay ideas in it would magically carry over to actual SRW games.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I'm surprised they haven't done Mahou Shojo Wars. They could make some serious bank with that stuff

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I'm well aware of the costs of translating text, I was mainly calling out that it's pretty obvious Sony has stopped caring about forcing English VAs into everything that's released, that used to be an actual policy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

I'm surprised they haven't done Mahou Shojo Wars. They could make some serious bank with that stuff
And it'd be way easier to shoehorn Gen Urobuchi in. :v:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

What would the three core franchises be for Magical Girl Wars? Sailor Moon's definitely one of them, but what would the other two be?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Precure and Cutey Honey because why not.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjovt_B0aFY

cat hand smash

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5H5ZBtPgm0)

(bring back mx god tier castlist)

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

TARDISman posted:

What would the three core franchises be for Magical Girl Wars? Sailor Moon's definitely one of them, but what would the other two be?

Probably Madoka Magica

Also, even though it won't happen, U.S. PPG:negative:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Sailor Moon, Nanoha, and Precure of course.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Secret character: Ultimate Madoka and Devil Homura

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Series list:

Sailor Moon (90s anime)
Madoka Magica (Modern anime)
Heartcatch Precure (Anime popular with internet nerds)
Princess Knight (Classic anime)
Revolutionary Girl Utena (Cult Classic anime)
Nanoha (Anime popular with internet nerds)
Neptunia (Fanservice anime)
Shugo Chara (Modern anime)

sequel can add kill la kill, another precure series and symphogear

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

basically in SRW terms Nanoha would be Mazinger Z (Only one or two continuities but lots of random offshoots/sequels to pull from), PreCure would be Gundam (lots of different series, can slot in two or three per game), and Sailor Moon would be Getter Robo (A few different continuities but people only care about a couple)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Any Magical Girl list which does not include Cutie Honey needs to get bent

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

This page reminds me that I bought Super Heroine Chronicle when I nabbed Z3-1 and Super Hero Generation (which is a surprisingly decent Baby's First SRW-style game) and I should probably try it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a srw-style game with utena in it would rule just because you could make the student council secret units if you wanted to

combo attack where they do nothing but stand in an elevator rambling and the enemy eventually explodes

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

They decide to get violent and add Black Lagoon in one. Basically, give me a game where it's Madoka, Utena, and the Sailor Scouts vs an army of neo-Nazis and I'll be happy forever.

Endorph posted:

a srw-style game with utena in it would rule just because you could make the student council secret units if you wanted to

combo attack where they do nothing but stand in an elevator rambling and the enemy eventually explodes

Only if Utena's ultimate attack is a 30 second stairway sequence followed by a single strike.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Policenaut posted:

This page reminds me that I bought Super Heroine Chronicle when I nabbed Z3-1 and Super Hero Generation (which is a surprisingly decent Baby's First SRW-style game) and I should probably try it.

That's the one that has Kyousogiga in it isn't it?

Kyousogiga's a cool 'me.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I heard https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-war-of-eustrath/id381058279?mt=8 is playable if you care for an SRW clone on iOS. I think it's more like SRW4 era graphics, kind of like the Zone of the Enders game on GBA if you ever played it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I tried Eustrath a few years back when I got an iPad and tried really hard to get into mobile gaming. It's okay I guess, like the difficulty seems kind of weird and I only got maybe a dozen stages in before I dropped it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I really enjoyed playing Rengoku-hen. It being so short made the pacing feel really solid. Every stage felt important and it never got to sloggy. I'm about to start Tengoku-hen. I didn't pay much attention to parts and Akurasu hasn't updated for Z3-2; are there any new ones to keep an eye out for?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Irisize posted:

"Super Robot Wars with things besides robots" is am idea that I'm always surprised they haven't jumped onto yet.
They made Super Tokusatsu Taisen 2001, who features stuff like the early Kamen Riders, Ultraman and the live action version of Giant Robo.

But they stopped after 1 attempt, which is kind of sad, because it's using Winkysoft era mechanics.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Three new BGMs (big spoilers ahead):

Awesome theme of Elunaluna, Sphere Reactor of the Covetous Golden Ox

Theme of Australis/Vildark, Dimensional General and Sphere Reactor of the Standing Archer

Theme of Doctrine and Tempti, two Angels (not the EVA ones)

As before, thanks to ImpAtom for recording these.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Onmi posted:

Any Magical Girl list which does not include Cutie Honey needs to get bent

Honey should be a regular in both a theoretical magical girls game AND SRW.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Cutey Honey is sorta like the Tetsujin of magical girls. Naturally it would only show up around thirty or forty entries in. (at the very least its nice that, as probably meh as 28-go is and how prone it might've been to just being there, its plot is pretty prevalent in Saisei-hen and I really like the Uchuu Maou in Z3) But yeah I'd previously figured a magical girl taisen would be cool, but as far as I got was 'it'd probably have sailor moon, nanoha, precure, and madoka in it' because Madoka is the only magical girl thing I've watched.

I actually want Symphogear in an SRW tbh. It is pretty drat mecha in spirit, they even get robutts for their big super ultimate end-season powerups and I think it'd work cool in a game all about music and sound being the big power macguffin around. Y'know, Macross 7, RahXephon, Raideen...uh, Eureka Seven, I guess. Prolly throw in G Gundam and Brain Powered in there too. I'm thinking something like, everybody lives in the orbital ring of Neo Countries because something is super wrong with the Earth in a weird way only the power of rock and roll can save

of course the whole musical theme would include cross ange so probably a bad idea lol

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Does anyone have a scenario chart completed save for Jigoku-hen they wouldn't mind making available for me? I tried the save on GameFAQs but it apparently doesn't have that flag set. It's not much but I want to start with the extra items and money if I can.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Eternal Volfogg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiOeXX3avGs Virgola all attacks with full body setsuko cut in of happiness.

:allears: Virgola's came so far from being a federation testbed unit in Z1.

Also, just what is Advent's game for all this? I thought in Z3.1 he was an ally and died to let Hibiki hijack the gemini sphere or such? Admittedly since I can't play these ones myself I have not payed nearly as much attention to the story as I did in Z1 and Z2. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

Also, just what is Advent's game for all this? I thought in Z3.1 he was an ally and died to let Hibiki hijack the gemini sphere or such? Admittedly since I can't play these ones myself I have not payed nearly as much attention to the story as I did in Z1 and Z2. :smith:

Advent wants to become a new God. It's really straightforward.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kitfox88 posted:

It's actually pretty strongly implied that the Virgola was built for the express purpose of housing the Sorrowful Maiden Sphere.

The sphere was built into the Virgola 1's Gunnery Carver, and the MS itself was built to interface with it perfectly. Remember the Vigrola Glory itself wasn't changed by the Sphere, just the Gunnery Carver. Plus the Virgola was designed to be able to handle output more then double the default Carver had. This would be obscene overengineering unless the system was meant to use a Sphere powered weapon in the first place.

Unfortunately the game doesn't tell much about the Virgola's past; just that it's a Titans project.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Levantine posted:

I really enjoyed playing Rengoku-hen. It being so short made the pacing feel really solid. Every stage felt important and it never got to sloggy. I'm about to start Tengoku-hen. I didn't pay much attention to parts and Akurasu hasn't updated for Z3-2; are there any new ones to keep an eye out for?
I thought it was super boring. It was basically just filler backstory for the originals while you waited for the new mechs to show up and the most obvious of 'twists' to occur.

Different topic but I feel like it hasn't come up a lot: but I like how they did the SR points in this one. There's some clever ones I had to actually restart for because I underestimated that I'd probably have to reposition some units a bit more carefully to achieve them. They're not brain busting but it was a nice change of pace from "please use all your units like god intended".

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
I've got Tengoku on the way, so I feel like I should ask about how Rengoku works. Amiami states that I get a download code for Rengoku; do I need a Japanese PSN account to use it or will it work as is?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Oblique Angle posted:

I've got Tengoku on the way, so I feel like I should ask about how Rengoku works. Amiami states that I get a download code for Rengoku; do I need a Japanese PSN account to use it or will it work as is?
Yeah, you'll need to have a Japanese account and access to the Japanese PS store to put in the code.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
They would need to find a new VA for Utena. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Man, I am really struggling to make it through Z3-1 for some reason. I think it's because I don't know a lot of these series to really get invested in what's going on.

I'm thinking about picking up MX Portable, since my PS2 is on the fritz. I've heard that the entire "double enemy HP bars" kinda makes the game balance very wonky in later missions. How bad does it end up getting?

• Locked thread