Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i like suspeciious dish

and how

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
we will all work for suspiciious dish some day

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Man, I can't see what the hubub is all about.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
like, can't see because I can't connect to endlessm.com at all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Smythe posted:

we will all work for suspiciious dish some day

we could do worse

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Subjunctive posted:

we could do worse

Couldn't be any worse than steve up in accounting.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Man, I can't see what the hubub is all about.

theres nothing to see

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

like, can't see because I can't connect to endlessm.com at all.

Because we're an idiot company who desperately needs to change infrastructure, our website is hosted on GoDaddy and for some reason their SSL infrastructure craps out every 5 seconds. We're hopefully going to change that soon.

http://endlessm.com should be back up, and SSL is down now.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

Because we're an idiot company who desperately needs to change infrastructure, our website is hosted on GoDaddy and for some reason their SSL infrastructure craps out every 5 seconds. We're hopefully going to change that soon.

http://endlessm.com should be back up, and SSL is down now.

https://vimeo.com/89527215

pram
Jun 10, 2001
why dont you put it in an s3 bucket?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
really tuff hosting a static website

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Shaggar posted:

I hope you are not going to inflict Linux on those people from the video.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm aware it should not be a tough problem. I am not the sysadmin in charge who bought our GoDaddy hosting plans.

I am working really hard right now to get the website back up. It's up without SSL at http://endlessm.com . Unfortunately, there was a 301 Moved Permanently to the SSL site, which means that you need to use private browsing to access the actual site.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I've never really even considered godaddy a web host.

Theoretical question: For a static page could I just use a $5 vps and cloudflare to reach the masses? I'm eagerly awaiting the launch of the .sucks tld and I need to know.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i just see a black page with a grey X in the top right corner

the X is a hyperlink to the same blank black page

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

i see a strange looking blob

wait its the mirror nvm

pram
Jun 10, 2001

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I've never really even considered godaddy a web host.

Theoretical question: For a static page could I just use a $5 vps and cloudflare to reach the masses? I'm eagerly awaiting the launch of the .sucks tld and I need to know.

obviously but whats the point. you can dump html pages into s3 or gcs and cloudflare can use a cname as the root record

https://blog.cloudflare.com/zone-apex-naked-domain-root-domain-cname-supp/

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i bought a .life domain recently

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you can host a static website for literally pennies a month

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lysidas posted:

i just see a black page with a grey X in the top right corner

the X is a hyperlink to the same blank black page

What browser are you using, and are there any errors in the error console?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

obviously but whats the point. you can dump html pages into s3 or gcs and cloudflare can use a cname as the root record

https://blog.cloudflare.com/zone-apex-naked-domain-root-domain-cname-supp/

or even github pages for $0/month

pram
Jun 10, 2001
gitte hubbe

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm aware it should not be a tough problem. I am not the sysadmin in charge who bought our GoDaddy hosting plans.

I am working really hard right now to get the website back up. It's up without SSL at http://endlessm.com . Unfortunately, there was a 301 Moved Permanently to the SSL site, which means that you need to use private browsing to access the actual site.

your sysadmin is bad and you should feel bad

that said i wonder what you are making

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It was bought five years ago, before we had a permanent sysadmin. We're actually working on new infrastructure for the full launch, but for now, GoDaddy is what we're stuck with. Everything should be back to normal now. We found the problem and fixed it.

Was a DNS issue that came about when we tried to set up the http://getendless.com/ redirect.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Subjunctive posted:

you look really happy in your picture! :3:

it's kind of eerie because I never got the impression from suspicious dish's posts that he was capable of smiling

(this is true for most linux thread yosposters btw)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
dude, i'm like the happiest person alive. i love my job, i love what i do, and i have so much fun every day.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i get that effect from nbsd mostly, i like to imagine he's like john major's puppet from spitting image

perpetually tight lipped, dressed in an ibm issue suit, a walking relic of when propietary unix walked the earth

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm almost always in a good mood myself. it's a nice way to live.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

i'd be in a better mood if i could find some more weed

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

I'm almost always in a good mood myself. it's a nice way to live.

same. life is good.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

dude, i'm like the happiest person alive. i love my job, i love what i do, and i have so much fun every day.

I can see it now!

sure hope your company's minicomputer things take over the cheap laptops that barely works because it contains lovely code written by an rear end in a top hat who can hardly understand linux drivers

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I guess I'm supposed to be all "they need water not widgets" but I find this kind of thing really inspiring as well as technically interesting. glad it's happening, thanks duder.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
People think I'm really happy, but the truth is I just smile when I'm angry.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I guess I'm supposed to be all "they need water not widgets" but I find this kind of thing really inspiring as well as technically interesting. glad it's happening, thanks duder.

this is actually the hardest thing to communicate, we're finding: these people have water and clothes and electricity and usually someone in the neighborhood has a flat screen tv. we're not targeting the people at the bottom of the pyramid who have nothing else, we're targeting the people who could buy it if they saved up for a few months.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suspicious Dish posted:

this is actually the hardest thing to communicate, we're finding: these people have water and clothes and electricity and usually someone in the neighborhood has a flat screen tv. we're not targeting the people at the bottom of the pyramid who have nothing else, we're targeting the people who could buy it if they saved up for a few months.

yeah, the "family has a lovely cell phone" set, not the "suzanne somers on late night TV" set.

if you want to hear harrowing tales of carrier battles and so forth, I'm happy to connect you with some current and ex FirefoxOS people, btw

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Suspicious Dish posted:

Can you say what the USD equivalent income of your target demographic is?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

SYSV Fanfic posted:

do you mean it literally? because if not it sounds like a nontrivial question because of costs of living etc

if I take it literally, and think about it in the context of Brazil, I'd guess people who make around $6k a year (take it with a grain of salt because the brl/usd exchange rate got wild this year). I guess a good rule of thumb would be to multiply it by the exchange rate so... pretend it's like $18k? idk

whatever it is, the other countries in its target is less than that for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

$3k - $15k