Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violator
May 15, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

Child's Play 3 episode is one of my favorites if only because of the sudden Abraxas impression in the middle, "I threw Chuckie down a garbage chute and called him a shlack-jawed so-and-so, ALSO I THOUGHT HE WAS SECUNDUS"

God drat, I can hear that voice perfectly in my head and it cracks me up. I must be listening to the show too much.

Also, the Silver Bullet episode is good for the Gary Busey impersonations.

Edit: I may have suggested that episode before, but holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Canvas is another great Gary Busey episode. Plus, John Rhys Davies!

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
Are any of the guys on this podcast goons? They have to be, right?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Arturo Ui posted:

Are any of the guys on this podcast goons? They have to be, right?

On Blame It On Outer Space, they mention Something Awful and get defensive about goons' comments, so they at least read it.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

egon_beeblebrox posted:

On Blame It On Outer Space, they mention Something Awful and get defensive about goons' comments, so they at least read it.

What episode was that?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Yaws posted:

What episode was that?

Slender man one I think.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yeah in the Podcast forum a few of us were saying we like Eric on WHM but think he's a bit dry as a host and he said something like, "Oh yeah over on Something Awful. I know you guys think I'm a BORING HOST." But in a playful not entirely lovely way. So yeah, someone's reading. Probably Secundus.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Look. I'm just saying. You don't just mod an internet forum with a name like Trumundas.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
"You could draw a turtle, or Kiefer Sutherland"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

bobkatt013 posted:

It is Face Off

I was hoping for Vampire's Kiss but that also bodes very, very, well.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Discovered this recently after finally giving up on HDTGM. Regularly end up laughing my rear end off. Thanks for the recommendation.

With HDTGM I feel like they're often barely paying attention to the movie, or fall asleep during it, and just sorta handwave over the plot. Between that and needlessly piling on Jude Diane Raphael, the way WHM actually gets into details about the movies is a breath of fresh air.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World
I know fairly recently someone posted a link to a stream only of WHM's treatment of the Star Wars Holiday Special. I can't seem to find it now, does anyone have it?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

Yeah in the Podcast forum a few of us were saying we like Eric on WHM but think he's a bit dry as a host and he said something like, "Oh yeah over on Something Awful. I know you guys think I'm a BORING HOST." But in a playful not entirely lovely way. So yeah, someone's reading. Probably Secundus.

I think Eric's the best of them all. You can tell he's the friend that makes them laugh the most.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Septic Knothead posted:

I know fairly recently someone posted a link to a stream only of WHM's treatment of the Star Wars Holiday Special. I can't seem to find it now, does anyone have it?

http://whmpodcast.bandcamp.com/track/whm-on-screen-the-sw-holiday-special

If you pick up the app it has all this extra stuff on it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Man I listened to a few early Yeah It's That Bad to see if it's a a decent alternative once I finish burning through the WHM backlog and... eh. So far it's like half the length but feels twice as long, they're really good at talking a lot without saying anything interesting. If anything it really drives home how despite the casual vibe of WHM, they really know their stuff, both as film buffs and entertainers.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 13, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The thing that got me to swear off How Did This Get Made is the awful commercials. Paul Scheer makes every product that sponsors them sound creepy and horrible, I have no idea why he's so bad at it. I know I can just skip the commercials (like I skip the equally awful theme song) but that requires input rather than just "leave it on and listen".

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

precision posted:

The thing that got me to swear off How Did This Get Made is the awful commercials. Paul Scheer makes every product that sponsors them sound creepy and horrible, I have no idea why he's so bad at it. I know I can just skip the commercials (like I skip the equally awful theme song) but that requires input rather than just "leave it on and listen".

Okay, but to be fair, the way they push Harrys is not exactly great either. The first time I heard it I thought it was parody, because its so over the top. It's just razors, but they way they talk about it, you get the feeling it can cure cancer. And at the same time, their enthusiasm sounds really tried.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 13, 2015

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

e X posted:

Okay, but to be fair, the way they push Harrys is not exactly great either. The first time I heard it I thought it was parody, because its so over the top. It's just razors, but they way they talk about it, you get the feeling it can cure cancer. And at the same time, their enthusiasm sounds really tried.

It's definitely mildly sardonic. I miss their Audible plugs since they usually devolved into mini bits.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

The Harry's plugs are at least in the beginning of the episode so they're easier to skip over.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What was the really early episode that had them plugging an appearance at some show that had Steve's way of saying "Saturday night!" creep everybody out?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

precision posted:

The thing that got me to swear off How Did This Get Made is the awful commercials. Paul Scheer makes every product that sponsors them sound creepy and horrible, I have no idea why he's so bad at it.
He's trying to be ironic, but actually he's just being unfunny.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!
I used to find HDTGM hilarious, but since discovering this it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth whenever I try to go back. Something's missing, and I'm not even sure what.

Anyway, I find their review of Wild in the Streets hilarious. Something about the way they say "babies."

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!
drat.

Nouvelle Vague fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 14, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love "Wild In The Streets" because it's all about the fear of what would happen if teenagers get political power, while having less than a teenager's understanding of how the government works.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World

Thank you very much. It was the bandcamp page, now I remember.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nouvelle Vague posted:

Anyway, I find their review of Wild in the Streets hilarious. Something about the way they say "babies."

Wild in the Streets is my favorite, too. At least until they pick another movie that I call in with for a viewer request month (I've got a great idea for pranking them the next time the phone lines open...).

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Every product advertised on podcasts seems to be aimed at hipster agoraphobes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Well who else has time to listen to 50 podcasts a day.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Wait, you mean there's something weird about having random socks mailed to you every month?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JT Smiley posted:

Wait, you mean there's something weird about having random socks mailed to you every month?

Hold on, I'm off to register boxosox.com.

Edit: gently caress. Well, there goes that business idea.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think Eric's the best of them all. You can tell he's the friend that makes them laugh the most.
I'm really starting to appreciate that one guy on a lot of comedy podcasts, the one who's not the loudest or the most jokey, but who has a really understated way of just dropping amazing jokes almost off-handedly, to the point that sometimes no-one even notices until a couple of moments later. Eric's definitely that guy on WHM.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm really starting to appreciate that one guy on a lot of comedy podcasts, the one who's not the loudest or the most jokey, but who has a really understated way of just dropping amazing jokes almost off-handedly, to the point that sometimes no-one even notices until a couple of moments later. Eric's definitely that guy on WHM.

He's the Sean Malloy of the podcast, for a podcast history reference.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Face/Off is a weird one. It is absolutely way way way too long and Travolta and Cage are simultaneously hammy while also maintaining a tricky balancing act with their performances. There's something about Woo's brand of melodrama that just doesn't work in the US. When it works it works great, but there's a whole load of poo poo that people forget about when they think about that movie.

Hard Target is still Woo's best American effort.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DrVenkman posted:

Face/Off is a weird one. It is absolutely way way way too long and Travolta and Cage are simultaneously hammy while also maintaining a tricky balancing act with their performances. There's something about Woo's brand of melodrama that just doesn't work in the US. When it works it works great, but there's a whole load of poo poo that people forget about when they think about that movie.

Also replacement kid

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The best American John Woo movie is John Wick anyway.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I'm A big Woo nerd and, yeah, his US efforts are all below the standards set by his Hong Kong releases. If anyone here has never seen any, I can't recommend enough that you track down The Killer, Hard Boiled and A Better Tomorrow. Bullet in the Head is also classic, but set aside a solid block of time to get real sad - it's depressing for a Woo film, which is like being extra salty by the standards of rock salt.

I got super excited when they said they were doing a Belushi film, then instantly disappointed when they said it wasn't Retroactive. That movie is a-list WHM material.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

DoombatINC posted:

I'm A big Woo nerd and, yeah, his US efforts are all below the standards set by his Hong Kong releases. If anyone here has never seen any, I can't recommend enough that you track down The Killer, Hard Boiled and A Better Tomorrow. Bullet in the Head is also classic, but set aside a solid block of time to get real sad - it's depressing for a Woo film, which is like being extra salty by the standards of rock salt.

I got super excited when they said they were doing a Belushi film, then instantly disappointed when they said it wasn't Retroactive. That movie is a-list WHM material.

Yeah I mean Woo is great, but his particular style just didn't gel with US movies (Hello M:I 2). For all of its bombast, there's stuff about Face/Off that just falls flat, particularly if you see it more than once. It's one of those things I loved when I was younger, but when I watched it again it's like oh wow, there's another hour left. I feel like there's a great 90 minute movie in there somewhere and like they said on the latest episode, it's over half an hour in before someone says the word 'face'.

I still legitimately go to bat for 'Hard Target'. It's pretty streamlined, which is good, and Lance Henrikson is so loving good.

Isn't Retroactive the one with Shannon Whirry in it?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DrVenkman posted:

Hard Target is still Woo's best American effort.

As it turns out, what Face/Off needed was Jean-Claude Van Damme locking himself in the editing room and trimming all the fat.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

A Better Tomorrow is cool, but I think the sequel has better action if that's what you're looking for in a John Woo movie.

I just came across Last Hurrah for Chivalry last night and I'm planning on watching it this evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

True about Better Tomorrow 2, but I couldn't remember if it was 2 or 3 when Woo left the series and didn't want to look a fool - some big fan I am :v:

Retroactive does feature Shannon Whirry, but more importantly, it features one James Belushi playing the same exact character he always plays, with the catch being that he's finally, appropriately, treated like a villain.