Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
1x02

I'm sure that the hallway fight scene at the end was inspired by Oldboy, but instead of a horizontal pan, it's down the hall :v: . Really loving this show so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

cams posted:

yes

this reply doesn't pertain to anything in particular, just in general

Faraci's reasonably credible when it comes to inside info on upcoming films, more so than most fanboy bloggers.

But he's still a fanboy blogger at his core, as opposed to a critic or journalist, and the weird chip on his shoulder he's displayed against this show is just one of many ways that's manifested itself.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

PaganGoatPants posted:

So I assume this is worth checking out?

I wouldn't even call this a great superhero show. It's just a plain great show period.

That's a yes if it wasn't clear, watch Daredevil.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

Faraci's reasonably credible when it comes to inside info on upcoming films, more so than most fanboy bloggers.

But he's still a fanboy blogger at his core, as opposed to a critic or journalist, and the weird chip on his shoulder he's displayed against this show is just one of many ways that's manifested itself.
yeah, i actually like the guy as an entertainment writer and enjoy a lot of what he does, but he is one of those "my opinion is right and it is my duty to let everyone know" kind of guys. his tweets about this show have been critical on a level that has nothing to do with the show itself and seem to be more about some weird grudge he has.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WarLocke posted:

01x02
No loving way was that hallway fight one long take. There has to be a hidden cut in there somewhere, jesus gently caress

Yeah there are like 3 pretty obvious ones.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

2 episodes in :aaa: this is great

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

General spoiler/question:

I can't tell if they're going with 'sonar hearing' or super-senses or whatever or not. I mean, I can kind of get him maybe learning to listen for heartbeats, and then a little physiology/psychology handles the 'is this guy lying' bit. But telling if someone is conscious by listening? Smelling a dude's cologne through walls on a different floor? Hearing people calling for help across the city?!?

Maybe this gets explained at some point, idunno.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

WarLocke posted:

General spoiler/question:

It gets explained later on.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Episode 3

Jesus gently caress that hitman killing himself. I know why, but how he did it :stare:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

just finished the last episode

more now please thank you

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cams posted:

just finished the last episode

more now please thank you

cams

Dude. We agree on something. It is a miracle.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gotta say being able to watch this even before most Goons was a rare treat for me. I finished watching it 8 hours ago, i'm sold on this global distribution thingamajig

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

I'm just starting 1:08 and uh Holy poo poo :catstare: Holy poo poo that opening

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm only about an episode and a half in, but I'm digging this show.

And I just realized Foggy's actor was the tough kid from Mighty Ducks. I'm not sure why I think that's funny.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

Gotta say being able to watch this even before most Goons was a rare treat for me. I finished watching it 8 hours ago, i'm sold on this global distribution thingamajig

I agree, thanks for coming to Australia Netflix.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I'm just starting 1:08 and uh Holy poo poo :catstare: Holy poo poo that opening

Nah mate, that whole loving episode.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BSam posted:

I agree, thanks for coming to Australia Netflix.

I'm still using US Netflix thanks to getflix, try it dude.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

01x03
So I'm watching, and I'm like "Oh cool I know what's gonna happen, he's gonna get the guy off, then track him down and beat the poo poo out of him, just like in the comics". Man, I was pretty drat smug at that closing argument.

And then "You should have just killed me." :stonk:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

WarLocke posted:

01x03
So I'm watching, and I'm like "Oh cool I know what's gonna happen, he's gonna get the guy off, then track him down and beat the poo poo out of him, just like in the comics". Man, I was pretty drat smug at that closing argument.

And then "You should have just killed me." :stonk:

i think he just had a hard time getting that through matt's head.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

I wouldn't even call this a great superhero show. It's just a plain great show period.

That's a yes if it wasn't clear, watch Daredevil.

Well I'm 3/4 through the first episode and I'm really enjoying it. Entire atmosphere is nice and Charlie Cox is very good (Oh crap I forgot he was in Boardwalk Empire). Oh and the opening credits are cool.

There goes my weekend.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
1x07 So any guesses who/what the Black Sky kid was that Stick killed?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
After watching this show, Arrow, and the Flash, there's one thing that I never ever want to see in another superhero show ever again forever.

1x13 Nobody telling the chick that the guy is a superhero. In all three of those shows it would clear up so much dumb drama if people just told the chick that the guy is a superhero! It is so aggravating that the chick never knows and is always "I don't understand what's up with that guy and why I can't get a hold of him and he has mysterious wounds" in every superhero show.

It's really good aside from that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

1x02

I'm sure that the hallway fight scene at the end was inspired by Oldboy, but instead of a horizontal pan, it's down the hall :v: . Really loving this show so far!

My one problem with that sequence is they didn't redress the room where the fight started so when they pan back across the door, everything is nice and clean. It's not impossible to do this. in Hard Boiled there's an famous three minute long shot of a running gun fight in a hospital where the characters go up an elevator in the middle of it, but they just used the same set and redressed it in the thirty seconds while they're waiting inside the elevator.

Teek posted:

1x07 So any guesses who/what the Black Sky kid was that Stick killed?

Presumably the host of the demon that runs the Hand.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The only thing I'm disappointed is the guy who is playing Wesley looks a lot like James Urbaniak and I wish he was actually James Urbaniak.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

1x11

Holy poo poo that ending! Rest in piss Wesley!

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

This show is really violent. Four episodes in and there's at least once time per episode that my wife turns her head and asks me to tell her when the gory parts are over.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Oh my god it's 13 episodes, I thought it was 10 , I am just on Episode 9 now.

I am so happy.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Hmm, I need to wake up for work in 7 and half hours but I am only on episode 6. (Halfway through). Which decision should I do?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

Oh my god it's 13 episodes, I thought it was 10 , I am just on Episode 9 now.

I am so happy.

Rocksicles posted:

Oh crap there are 13 episodes?

I thought it was 10

1x11 here we go.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

The only thing I'm disappointed is the guy who is playing Wesley looks a lot like James Urbaniak and I wish he was actually James Urbaniak.
THAT'S who he reminded me of!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hmm, I need to wake up for work in 7 and half hours but I am only on episode 6. (Halfway through). Which decision should I do?

6 actually wraps up the first big chunk of the show quite nicely, with 7 acting more as an intermission before the rest starts, stop after 6 imo.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Zaggitz posted:

6 actually wraps up the first big chunk of the show quite nicely, with 7 acting more as an intermission before the rest starts, stop after 6 imo.

That's what I did. I'm going to finish it off tomorrow.

It almost strikes me as unfair to compare the fight scenes in this to any other network TV show. On Daredevil, it feels like every fight is a knock-down drag out brawl, while Shield or Arrow, the fights are much more stylized, with the heroes generally clowning mooks right, left and center.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Oh god I didn't think of this. :( But I'd say there's a chance. I mean we're talking literal years, Defenders is a miniseries, and AFAIK TV shows are easier to put together a little more rapidly because they typically involve less post than a big budget blockbuster, but I might be talking out of my rear end here. Of course Netflix releasing full seasons complicates things a little but with a typical TV season it's actually pretty common for them to work on episodes while a season is ongoing. It's partly why mid-season hiatuses exist.

From what I understand it'll be 2½ years with Daredevil and Jessica Jones being this year, Luke Cage and Iron Fist next year and Defenders after that. Also I think it's unlikely the four shows would be unrelated. In the comics Matt and Jessica worked together, Jessica and Luke date, Luke and Danny work together. While its entirely possible none of that make it to their television shows I have to think they choose these four for a reason.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PunkBoy posted:

1x02

They also built a special set just for the fight scene so they could do a single take shoot.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Watched 3 episodes so far tonight. Enjoying it a lot so far!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
After doing the first half last night, time to finish the rest tonight. Starting with:

1x08
I'm loving Vanessa. She's an amazing character for Fisk to develop off of.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

e X posted:

So, how much overlap is there between the creative teams of the four series? Because if teh Iron Dragon one is even close to this, it's going to kick so much rear end!
why do people keep saying "iron dragon" it's iron fist

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Xtanstic posted:

Watched 3 episodes so far tonight. Enjoying it a lot so far!

Me too. That fight in 1x02 :stare:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey guys, here's a view that is on my other forum.

"Well, I watched the first ep and found it pretty...meh. Just seemed like a run of mill crime procedural with the typical mix of characters and plots you expect.
Inner angsty Daredevil had remarkabley nice Hollywood looking eyes for a pair of optics that I presumed suffered chemical burns. His partner ticked all the requisite boxes for that generic sidekick who comes out with the quirky one liners to lighten the Se7enesque atmosphere. Jessica doesn't seemed to miss Bill Compton all that much
All up, I can't see any reason to watch much more if the tone and plot stays the same.
Unless you're a superhero fan, I can't see it getting a wide audience beyond comic book/graphic novel fandom.
I'll watch episode 2 before old Daredevil goes into the Recycle bin on the laptop."

:derp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

less laughter posted:

This is really confusing and I still don't understand the order of events in the episode, and none of the reviews and recaps out there so far seem to really do so either because they just gloss over it. I've been reading recaps and legal articles to try and grasp what happened for longer than the episode itself was now, it's pretty frustrating and souring my enjoyment of the show. You shouldn't need a law degree to be able to follow a plotline on a comic book show.

1x03

If the prosecutors tried their best with what they had available to them and the result was not an unanimous decision, why would you try it all again, with the same evidence? If you weren't capable of getting all the jurors to agree the first time around what makes you think you can get all new jurors to agree a second time?

less laughter posted:

But was the jury hung because she voted guilty or not guilty? Not guilty would imply all the other jurors voted guilty which wouldn't make sense after the evidence presented in the case and Matt's closing speech, and if she voted guilty that wouldn't make sense either since the master plan was to get Healy acquitted and if all the others already voted not guilty then why would they still need a hung jury for that?

1x03

It doesn't matter how she voted. It was only important that she voted against everyone else. There was no guarantee all the other jurors were going to vote Not Guilty. If the Kingpin tells you to vote against everyone else are you going to go do otherwise?