Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Covok posted:

What was up with Children's War Game's animation? It was very different, in a good way. Looked expensive to make.

It and the "Digimon Adventure" with the giant Agumon fighting Parrotmon were promotional things they did for animation festivals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

It and the "Digimon Adventure" with the giant Agumon fighting Parrotmon were promotional things they did for animation festivals.

No, they were part of normal double-feature anime movies. The animation is because of the specific people that worked on it, such as the director Mamoru Hosoda who also did One Piece Movie 6, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars (which is basically a longer Our War Game without the Digimon)

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 9, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Covok posted:

What was up with Children's War Game's animation? It was very different, in a good way. Looked expensive to make.

Mamoru Hosoda

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

This is also why episode 21 looks loving amazing. I honestly would love an entire series of Hosada-Digimon, I mean he's expressed a dislike for the Digital World so it would all be based in the real world, and it would probably be amazing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Want to re watch tamers, but haven't seen it since my childhood (English and Spanish). My question is what dub should I listen to? Japanese or English

The English dub is actually pretty good.

But here, compare yourself.

English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SUpXuYlB-8
Japanese: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sbUCHbhWg4

I personally think SLASH! and Evo are too awesome to pass up on. One Vision's also really good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Onmi posted:

This is also why episode 21 looks loving amazing. I honestly would love an entire series of Hosada-Digimon, I mean he's expressed a dislike for the Digital World so it would all be based in the real world, and it would probably be amazing.
I jsut want Hosoda to do a TV series, period.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Covok posted:

Nothing of value would be lost except for, maybe, jogress evolution, but I think that exists elsewhere.

the hell is joggress evolution, is that what the Digi-eggs were?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

forbidden lesbian posted:

It's what DNA digivolving was called in the Japanese series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

forbidden lesbian posted:

No, the Digi-Eggs were original Digimentals, and Armor Evolution kept its original name (as Armor Digivolution, but close enough). Jogress Evolution is what became DNA Digivolution.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

It's what DNA digivolving was called in the Japanese series.

oh okay

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Oh man, remember in V-Tamer how crazy it was when that one guy's gimmick was to jogress and then partition his Omegamon to effectively have infinite heals?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

AtheistMantis posted:

Oh man, remember in V-Tamer how crazy it was when that one guy's gimmick was to jogress and then partition his Omegamon to effectively have infinite heals?

I think so. I remember thinking that it was awesome the comic was mentioning -- I assume, at least -- a software exploit in the game and making it a plot point. I assume, atleast.

Also, it was so odd in V-Tamer how Tai was the main character, but his digimon was Veedramon.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Jogress, incidentally, is a combination of the words 'joint' and 'progress.'

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Just a small story I want to post.

Back when season 1 was airing on Fox Kids, my friend and I made our own Digimon partner, crest, etc like little kids love to do when they pretend (We were in ether 4th or 5th grade by that point). The interesting part is that we also decided to make up our own different ways of digivolving. She came up with fusing with her digimon (bio-merge) to be a different level. I decided it would be cool if I could digivolve as well (Spirit evolution). So I always get a laugh when watching Tamers or Frontier just by the fact we came up some of the methods before the show did.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

mateo360 posted:

Back when season 1 was airing on Fox Kids, my friend and I made our own Digimon partner, crest, etc like little kids love to do when they pretend (We were in ether 4th or 5th grade by that point). The interesting part is that we also decided to make up our own different ways of digivolving. She came up with fusing with her digimon (bio-merge) to be a different level. I decided it would be cool if I could digivolve as well (Spirit evolution). So I always get a laugh when watching Tamers or Frontier just by the fact we came up some of the methods before the show did.

Ever consider a class action lawsuit for intellectual property right infringement? I'm an internet certified lawyer. My ten seconds of googling makes me think that we might have a case. Just...pay me upfront. That's...standard.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AtheistMantis posted:

Yeah, it was awesome. V-Tamer was just really creative in its use of Jogress, both for Hideto and Neo, far more than 02 ever tried to be.

Covok posted:

I think so. I remember thinking that it was awesome the comic was mentioning -- I assume, at least -- a software exploit in the game and making it a plot point. I assume, atleast.

Also, it was so odd in V-Tamer how Tai was the main character, but his digimon was Veedramon.

V-Tamer came before Adventure. The real weirdness is anime Taichi not having V-dramon!

Even V-Tamer's V-dramon was canonically an Agumon once though, so they do have that in common. Their Agumon just took completely different evolution lines, and they both ended up as Royal Knights somehow. Multiverse coincidences!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mateo360 posted:

so she watched dbz and you watched magical girl shows

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Even V-Tamer's V-dramon was canonically an Agumon once though, so they do have that in common. Their Agumon just took completely different evolution lines, and they both ended up as Royal Knights somehow. Multiverse coincidences!

Zero was only incredibly heavily implied to be an Agumon from at least two different directions, we never got a 100% on what he was as at Child level.

AtheistMantis posted:

It was even a recurring thing. Neo did that Jogress thing well before Hideto ever did.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Omnicrom posted:

Zero was only incredibly heavily implied to be an Agumon from at least two different directions, we never got a 100% on what he was as at Child level.

Taichi literally outright states that Zero was an Agumon when he sees the Agumon Leo trained, and a chapter page shows every form Zero had in the past as V-Pet sprites, and they'yre Botamon, Koromon and Agumon.

You have a really weird idea of the line between "heavily implied" and "outright confirmed".

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

mateo360 posted:

What, no friend who liked to punch Digimon?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Taichi literally outright states that Zero was an Agumon when he sees the Agumon Leo trained, and a chapter page shows every form Zero had in the past as V-Pet sprites, and they'yre Botamon, Koromon and Agumon.

You have a really weird idea of the line between "heavily implied" and "outright confirmed".

You should chill out. In that particular scene my translation just has Taichi saying only that he remembers when Zero was "Like that", which could be interpreted "As an Agumon" or "As a child level". However It made sense that Zero would have been an Agumon because in the original V-Pet Agumon was the form you got for making few or no care mistakes (the other form is Betamon), and they frequently reference how much Taichi cares about his partner. I never realized they gave Zero that full evolution line picture to confirm what he evolved from, that's a good thing to know.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Man there needs to be some giant list of Japanese to English name translations in the OP somewhere because sometimes I /think/ people are talking about Season 1 and then it's all gibberish and I have no idea what's going on. (And I'm too lazy to google every name admittedly)

Anyway, I wasn't even aware there were Digimon seasons past 3, which as I recall was still pretty badass when I watched it as an 18 year old. I have fond memories of Season one which comforted me while I was super sick for a week and they ran a marathon of the stuff. As I recall Kari then got super sick with the same stuff that I had and I felt a lot better about myself. So simply put I'm looking forward to the new series.

One thing I hope they fix/do something about is the Mega Evolutions. Like, I remember as a kid that the evolution from Ultimate to Mega was meant to be this huge deal and what we get at the end is just a visual downgrade. I mean who thought WarGreymon looks more impressive as "Metal man with a horn" than a loving Undead Dragon Cyborg. And Metal Garurumon goes from a goddamn MMA Werewolf to "The same as his champion form, but metal."

I'd also like to see the other guys get Mega forms, I think Lilymon already has an evolution into Rosemon? And she looks pretty awesome so I'd like to see that.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Anyway, I wasn't even aware there were Digimon seasons past 3

I don't blame you since season 3 ended not too long before Fox Kids became Fox Box which exclusively only showed stuff from 4Kids. :argh: Naturally, that meant Digimon got the boot entirely with no new seasons or reruns. :(

This was before I took full appreciation of the internet so I didn't get my Digimon fix until by chance I caught the first episode of Frontier on UPN while channel surfing. I was ecstatic at first but the season ended (after some erratic scheduling) in complete and utter disappointment. UPN went bust some time later and the airing rights went to the Disney Channel or one of Disney's premium channels so I never followed up on any newer seasons.

After becoming acquainted with fansubs, I did try to watch Xross Wars through fansubs as it was airing but it was so weird as a Digimon show that I wasn't that interested in watching it and ended up falling behind. I do want to finish Xross Wars and watch Data Squad, though. Now thanks to Crunchyroll and Netflix streaming, I can go back and watch the previous seasons at my leisure.

And that's my experience with trying to watch Digimon after Tamers. :shobon:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Man there needs to be some giant list of Japanese to English name translations in the OP somewhere because sometimes I /think/ people are talking about Season 1 and then it's all gibberish and I have no idea what's going on. (And I'm too lazy to google every name admittedly)

Anyway, I wasn't even aware there were Digimon seasons past 3, which as I recall was still pretty badass when I watched it as an 18 year old. I have fond memories of Season one which comforted me while I was super sick for a week and they ran a marathon of the stuff. As I recall Kari then got super sick with the same stuff that I had and I felt a lot better about myself. So simply put I'm looking forward to the new series.

One thing I hope they fix/do something about is the Mega Evolutions. Like, I remember as a kid that the evolution from Ultimate to Mega was meant to be this huge deal and what we get at the end is just a visual downgrade. I mean who thought WarGreymon looks more impressive as "Metal man with a horn" than a loving Undead Dragon Cyborg. And Metal Garurumon goes from a goddamn MMA Werewolf to "The same as his champion form, but metal."

I'd also like to see the other guys get Mega forms, I think Lilymon already has an evolution into Rosemon? And she looks pretty awesome so I'd like to see that.

A number of Mega forms since then have been massive, so no worries on that front. Otherwise, a common trope with Japanese fiction is where transformations start tending more and more towards being humanoid, typically implying both greater power and greater control over said power. In a decade that came off the heels of DBZ, its not surprising to see the trend creep in.

All the original 8 have Megas now as well, and they were implemented in the PSP game for Adventure a few years back, so ignoring them for Tri (or otherwise doing so without equal substitutes) would be really, really dumb on the part of the writers.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I dunno I always thought it was kind of neat that Tai's Ultimate Digimon's next level was similar to Matt's Ultimate, and vice-versa

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly thought that was the ENTIRE point.

Tai and Matt get hit by the arrows of Hope and Light while holding hands, a bit of their Digimon's kind of share traits with one another.

War Greymon is humanoid and melee based like Were Garurumon

And Metal Garurumon is a cyborg based on long range fighting and missiles, like Metal Greymon.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Wait, are you saying you believe that a digimon's different level forms aren't decided until the moment that they digivolve? Because that sounds vaguely like digital Darwinism.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

zimbomonkey posted:

Wait, are you saying you believe that a digimon's different level forms aren't decided until the moment that they digivolve? Because that sounds vaguely like digital Darwinism.

I'm just saying I thought, even as a kid, the whole point was that Metal Greymon and Were Garurumon got more powerful because they shared traits with one another. Like DNA Digivolving I guess, but where both Digimon get a unique form.

It's likely not true or not meant to have been the case at all, but I thought it was neat. Especially since Season 1 shows Mega Level is super hard to get. You either have to cheat hardcore like Myotismon and Etemon, be created by a greater entity like the Dark Masters, or fulfill a prophesy that endangers your life, IE literally get run through the chest by arrows fired by super Angels. Otherwise the natural end point for Digimon was Ultimate level.

Leomon only went Mega, and couldn't control it either, because he was exposed to so much Digivolution energy by the kids it kind of mutated him.

Other seasons operate differently though and have very different rules on how things work

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

zimbomonkey posted:

Wasn't that the whole idea behind SkullGreymon?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
no, the key difference being that that single digivolution didn't determine what would happen every single time he digivolved. Wargreymon is Wargreymon every time he warps. Skullgreymon was an alternate out of control form. I think it was meant to caution against confusing recklessness for courage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think the caution worked because i thought skull greymon was cool as gently caress

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Endorph posted:

i dont think the caution worked because i thought skull greymon was cool as gently caress

They didn't get the "maybe this wasn't a good idea" thing right until Meggidramon. That fucker was creepy. I heard Data Squad had a Greymon fuckup, too. Was it scary?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rudoku posted:

They didn't get the "maybe this wasn't a good idea" thing right until Meggidramon. That fucker was creepy. I heard Data Squad had a Greymon fuckup, too. Was it scary?
It was called Ruinmon IIRC, and it wasn't that bad.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
ShineGreymon Ruin Mode, basically burst mode but rage instead of... heroism or something.

I honestly can't remember the fight it popped up in, though I do remember that it basically only stopped because ShineGreymon turned right back into an egg.

Edit: Found the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RomNpU2STlw

I think its a rare case where the evil mode actually gets to cause some collateral, buuuut only towards an offscreen populace.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 10, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rudoku posted:

On the other hand, Megidramon was also cool as hell. There's no way to go around it, those evil designs will always be the best.

That said everything around Megidramon was creepy as hell and perfectly executed, another proof of how Tamers is awesome.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Astro Nut posted:

ShineGreymon Ruin Mode, basically burst mode but rage instead of... heroism or something.

I honestly can't remember the fight it popped up in, though I do remember that it basically only stopped because ShineGreymon turned right back into an egg.

Edit: Found the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RomNpU2STlw

I think its a rare case where the evil mode actually gets to cause some collateral, buuuut only towards an offscreen populace.
I forget, was Thomas' turn coating always a ploy or was that an invention of the dub to soften the affair?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ConanThe3rd posted:

I forget, was Thomas' turn coating always a ploy or was that an invention of the dub to soften the affair?

It was always a ploy. Touma's a jerk, but he's not evil.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ConanThe3rd posted:

It was a ploy. Touma's father made a deal with Kurata to use the same data integration surgery that had gone into making the Bio Hybrids to heal Touma's younger sister. In return Touma was to make a device to let Kurata control Belphemon. To make sure Touma made good Kurata had strapped a bomb collar to said sister, Touma went along with Kurata only until the time of the actual surgery when the collar came off, then he promptly disposed of it and blew up the Belphemon controller.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Astro Nut posted:

A number of Mega forms since then have been massive, so no worries on that front. Otherwise, a common trope with Japanese fiction is where transformations start tending more and more towards being humanoid, typically implying both greater power and greater control over said power. In a decade that came off the heels of DBZ, its not surprising to see the trend creep in.

All the original 8 have Megas now as well, and they were implemented in the PSP game for Adventure a few years back, so ignoring them for Tri (or otherwise doing so without equal substitutes) would be really, really dumb on the part of the writers.

Yeah, I mean I can understand why they chose those Mega forms, they're just so visually bland. Like if you want Metal Greymon to go melee, fine, just give him a pair of cyborg arms and tail spikes or something.

Also, if there's a Mega form for MagnaAngemon, wouldn't he just trivialise everything and job out all the villains? As I recall MagnaAngemon just straight up chumps a Mega in the first series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Also, if there's a Mega form for MagnaAngemon, wouldn't he just trivialise everything and job out all the villains? As I recall MagnaAngemon just straight up chumps a Mega in the first series.

Behold, Seraphimon (I'm surprised I actually managed to spell that right looking it up):

http://digimon.wikia.com/wiki/Seraphimon