Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Vague Kingpin spoilers ahead, but nothing specific:

I think the point about this being somehow simultaneously an origin story and downfall for Fisk (only 11 episodes in, but I don't imagine everything will work out for Kingpin because comics) is a valid one. I was confused early on whether we were meant to beleive that he was already the leader of the cartel or that this was going to be the story of him slowly eating every other member until he had a monopoly. It tries to be both, which is occasionally weird but not necessarily wrong and is a consistent feature of the character.

I was also initially put off by the fact that D'onoff's was playing Fisk as a twelve year old autistic boy, but then in his episode we are literally shown that he sees himself as a twelve year old (autistic implied, because its the only way to get a show greenlit these days) and I had to sort of shrug and say, 'Well, poo poo. It's intentional, I guess.' So they specifically chose to have this sort of socially-complex Kingpin, but also wanted him to have a voice better suited to an animated series, even though the two clash in some ways. Similarly I think you're meant to be offput by him, and yet also sort of sympathetic to his thwarted efforts at organizing this bunch in the same way as say Tony Soprano. We like to see plans come together and he's the only one in the show with a plan, so we root for it to come off, it just so happens to be an evil plan. He also has the brain of a chessmaster, fight style of a gorilla thing going on. Duality and poo poo.

I have enough faith in Vinnie D to think that he could have played a one note menacing Kingpin if he wanted to, but instead they chose to try something unique and untested and while it has some awkward moments on the whole I've found him consistently interesting and would happily watch a Hannibal-esque show about him cooking and talkin' art. The character is very Thomas Harris, which is a compliment in my mind.

Viginti fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

^^^ tag your post holy poo poo.

No seriously Petr, just wait until after episode 6.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Petr posted:

Definitely great acting, I just take issue with the writing.

It isn't perfect, and it's definitely incongruous with the Kingpin as I'm familiar with him, but enough of the character's essence is there for me to enjoy it. My hopes are high for him in Season 2.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
ugh fine

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

3:30am and I just finished episode 5. Do I watch another? How can't I after that ending. Urgh I'm gonna hate myself tomorrow.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

cams posted:

why do people keep saying "iron dragon" it's iron fist
:psyduck:
I don't even know, Danny Rand is one of my favorite heroes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
After seeing this I have faith in a Moon Knight series.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

After seeing this I have faith in a Moon Knight series.

I'm still squinting at every time someone pulls up in a cab, trying to see an ID with the name Lockley on it.

But really, a former mercenary who may or may not have finally lost his mind enough that he thinks he's an agent of an ancient Egyptian god of vengeance? MONEY.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 11, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Quick question, super minor early spoilers...

Does the show ever cut back to the fight that hosed Daredevil up between episode 1 and 2? Or is it just important that the russians sprung a trap on him off-screen and he barely made it out? Weird that they cut it, but I suppose it was necessary considering how packed episode 2 was.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
1x08

The reveal of young Wilson staring at the wall and how that ties into Rabbit in a Snowstorm is fantastic

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly, Fisk is one of the weaker elements of the show. Not per se bad, but it's all been done, and, for some parts, overdone.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

1x08
The monologues on this show aren't good in my opinion. Like Urich's article and Wilson's public speech.

1X08
All of Fisk's public speeches are supposed to suck. He's a giant mook saying things that sound nice and the only reason anyone is paying any attention is that he's paying the media to care.

Urich did get a little iffy sometimes, but I think it was supposed to be part of the whole getting too old for this poo poo, paranoid, maybe he's lost his touch, running thing they were going for. It didn't really work that well, but it was intentional.

less laughter posted:

1x03
Why did they still need the hung jury to get Healy acquitted? I thought he was just going to walk free anyway after Matt's closing speech.

1X03
Despite what other people said, the point wasn't to get a hung jury. Either a Not Guilty or a Hung Jury are fine and dandy for the Kingpin's purposes. At the beginning of the trial Fisk had a juror that was going to vote not guilty. After Matt fixed it so she was off the jury he thought he had a clean trial, but realized that Wesley had just bought/intimidated another one of the jurors to vote not guilty anyway.

Matt's closing speech was designed to get the guy convicted. He repeatedly pointed out that the guy was guilty, went on and on about right and wrong, underlined that the guy deserved punishment, and talked about the law as if it was technicality. All of that was wrapped up in a speech that wouldn't make it look like he purposefully tanked the case, which would be grounds for both appeal by the scumbag and shitloads of trouble with the bar for Nelson and Murdock.

The hung jury that resulted was because all the jurors but the one in Fisk's pocket voted to convict. Whether or not the prosecutor charged the guy again was irrelevant. The guy was going to take off anyway until Matt caught up with him and was pointedly told he was a coward.

morestuff posted:

1x08

Did Fisk's revealing himself come off as weird to anyone else? It wasn't clear what he was doing, exactly. Just holding a press conference about nothing? In another episode Vanessa makes a reference to Matt being a "donor"… I wonder if he was supposed to announce a campaign for mayor or governor or something and they sliced that subplot out.

Also possible he actually announced a run for mayor during that speech and I missed it somehow, I guess.

1X08
Fisk revealed himself in a press conference both in order to head off the Devil's attempts to bring his name to light and to ensure blame for everything was laid at Matt's feet. It was also part of the plan to remake Hell's Kitchen. At that point he'd acquired all the land he needed and was about to begin construction. He needed some level of public persona in order to organize the charity events and such that would allow him to launder money into a PAC to pay off the Senator.

How a Senator was going to help with zoning and permitting makes no drat sense though. That's local poo poo, and he was implied to be a US Senator. Unless Hell's Kitchen is part of DC, Congress has dick all to do with clearing the way to rebuild the city.

1X13
General talk about the series.
They really laid out the Iron Fist build up. I'm kind of surprised there was nothing similar done for either Luke Cage or Jessica Jones. That was seriously a whole hell of a lot of mystic Immortal Weapons poo poo. And apparently Matt's being prepped to possibly be one of the weapons per Stick and his scarred up boss?

I really liked that when speaking Chinese Fisk still sounded goony as gently caress. Usually they'd have him learn/dub dialogue that sounded more fluent and far less accented. Also nice that Karen's Spanish wasn't flawless either.

I do like that Matt's policy on killing isn't black and white. He's not going to try and kill anyone, and he'll try and save them. But if they get killed via fighting, it's not going to break his heart. Making the dilemma about murder/assassination instead of general killing makes it much more interesting and avoids having to pretend that pummeling a dude's face into paste is a totally non-leathal endeavor.

The Priest really grew on me, and I liked his devil speech. Also, old guys don't like to have their stories interrupted in Hell's Kitchen. Also, Also, that was pretty drat contrived that Ben Urich just happened to be a good Catholic and member of Matt's old parish.

Sorry, but that devil helmet at the end looks stupid. The rest of the costume is ok, and they actually did a decent job of explaining the appearance of a "professional" costume. The black suit was way better though.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Petr posted:

1x05
Even if he develops later, I'm still going to have some problems. That guy who fumbled his way through the meeting with the other three gangsters? There's no way that guy corrupts the NYPD to the point where they execute snitches. There's no way he fills a swanky restaurant with his own lackeys so they all jump up in unison at the Russian guy. It's like the show couldn't decide whether he's the Kingpin already, or on the way to becoming the Kingpin.

It's both. Fisk has the power of the Kingpin, but he hasn't used it or molded himself fully into what he's going to be become

1x13

Glad Fisk wasn't killed off or written off. Hope Kingpin comes back to season 2 or 3. Electra and Bullseye kinda rely on his character. Speaking of which, I hope we get PunisherMax Bullseye

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Soonmot posted:

series end spoilers relating to this She's probably not from K'un-Lun, at least, I hope not. There are seven different hidden kingdoms, each with their own Immortal Weapon (of which Iron Fist and Steel Serpent are an example). Basically, I just really hope to see Bride of Nine Spider and The Prince of Orphans on screen.

It's possible that she might be working for the Mandarin. Since IM3 only had fake Mandarins, there is an option of there being a real Mandarin is still out there.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Soonmot posted:

Basically, I just really hope to see Bride of Nine Spider and The Prince of Orphans on screen.

That's actually a possibility. What a time to be alive! :allears:

Also, i am on episode 8 know and the series kinda starts to lose me.

edit: and episode 9 brought me right back. drat.

e X fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 11, 2015

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Bunnita posted:

Costume talk, whole series omg that costume was amazing, and the fact that they laid it out over the whole series, it made sense, it didn't come out of nowhere. Was the guy who made it from the comics too?

1x13
The costume maker was Melvin Potter aka Gladiator in the comics. He was an old Daredevil villain turned ally.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Great series, was even better than what i was expecting.

General series spoilers and questions : Did the mask on the final Daredevil costume have holes for the eyes? It was so dark that i couldn't tell.

I really liked Kingpin, and his back story was very brutal.

Didn't Karen and Foggy hook up pretty early? It seemed like they were dropping all these signs about it until Foggy gets back with his ex.

thrakkorzog posted:

It's possible that she might be working for the Mandarin. Since IM3 only had fake Mandarins, there is an option of there being a real Mandarin is still out there.

There is a real Mandarin. In one of the marvel mini movies he sent a man to kill the fake Mandarin from Iron man 3.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
1x13
Was it just me, or did the classic costume at the end look purple? Nothing wrong with purple, in fact it's a better color for night stealth work than the classic red or black. Just wondering if my brain kind of failed because I had watched 12 straight hours of TV.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

WarLocke posted:

God drat is it great to see non-shaky-cam fight choreography.

This, so much this. I wish we'd get more of it. I mean, for a recent example my family dragged me to the theaters to see Taken 3, and all I can remember about the entire movie is how the fight scenes were so bad with this I felt sick and couldn't follow anything that was happening.

1x13
I love how great all of the characters are. Vanessa, Fisk, Matt, the Priest, everyone. So drat good. Vanessa in particular. She's not trying to change Fisk, Fisk isn't trying to change her. They accept each other for who they are, and don't lie to the other. Aside from the very beginning where Fisk asks her out the first time, it's one of the few TV romances I haven't cringed at in some way, and the beginning part makes sense for the character after a couple episodes so I'm not counting it.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Onean posted:

This, so much this. I wish we'd get more of it. I mean, for a recent example my family dragged me to the theaters to see Taken 3, and all I can remember about the entire movie is how the fight scenes were so bad with this I felt sick and couldn't follow anything that was happening.

1x13
I love how great all of the characters are. Vanessa, Fisk, Matt, the Priest, everyone. So drat good. Vanessa in particular. She's not trying to change Fisk, Fisk isn't trying to change her. They accept each other for who they are, and don't lie to the other. Aside from the very beginning where Fisk asks her out the first time, it's one of the few TV romances I haven't cringed at in some way, and the beginning part makes sense for the character after a couple episodes so I'm not counting it.

Vanessa was kind of a weird pixie dream girl for a supervillain. But I could see her becoming a more realistic version of Typhoid Mary next season.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 11, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
1x13
Anyone else feel like the final Kingpin v Daredevil fight kinda fell flat, relatively speaking? It was still choreographed super well and everything, it's just... They didn't do enough throughout the series to convince me that Fisk would pose any kind of threat to super-powered, ninja-trained Matt Murdock, so the whole time it felt like there were zero stakes. The Nobu fight felt way more dangerous.

I guess it still could have worked if it was just Matt pummeling the poo poo out of Fisk the whole time, but they didn't do that, and instead acted like he was an even match. Making Fisk a difficult opponent made sense in 1x09 when Matt was super-hosed up & kind of dying after fighting the Hand ninja, but here he was mostly healed from that.

I guess it also didn't help that I wasn't really mad at Fisk about the Urich thing. That whole death was so heavily telegraphed to me that I felt more upset at the writers for getting rid of such a rich character with so much potential for future stories than I felt mad at Fisk. If I was hated Fisk more I'm sure it woulda been thrilling to see him get beaten.

Don't get me wrong, though. The series was shockingly good. Cox, Woll, Henson, Dawson, Gunton, Moore, Curtis-Hall, Morgan, and more all put in fantastic performances. Vanessa Fisk's actress, in just a few lines, was maybe the break-out character of the show for me. I'm also extremely pleased they went so full-rear end comic book with ninjas and mystic old ladies and references to other poo poo all over the place.

Speaking of references, here's one very tenuous MCU connection I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else: (not sure what episode it was, let's just say 1x12 to be safe)
At the party where people get poisoned drinks, Owlsley mentions a "Van Lunt" who operates under the guidance of a personal astrologer. That'd be Cornelius Van Lunt AKA Taurus, one of the Zodiac cartel. And, Peggy Carter encountered the Zodiac group in her one-shot.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

WTF, where's Ben Affleck??

#notmydaredevil

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
1x05

Mods namechange to Señor Foggy Law tia

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
1x13
The finale felt anti-climactic after all the build-up, honestly. Fisk's downfall was long in coming, but it felt pretty easy when it came down to it. You can see that it was a product of the characters' choices and struggles, but it didn't have the impact I think it should've had. Like if there was a lesson it should've taken from Arrow, it's to have big two-part finale. The series feels like it weakens towards the end after a great start, but it was still a great ride.

I do love that in his red suit Daredevil looks and acts so much like Batman, but when you actually see him in action, he's the farthest thing from Batman.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
WTF is up with the subtitles? I've just watched an episode where half of it was in Russian, a scene in Spanish and nothing to help me at all.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I love The Flash to pieces, but holy poo poo this show is ten times better :swoon:

I'm starting on episode 6, and can't stop watching.

Sorvah posted:

WTF is up with the subtitles? I've just watched an episode where half of it was in Russian, a scene in Spanish and nothing to help me at all.

I don't have problems with the Spanish, although is a really bad one,specially Rosario's. But there are several lines in Russian that weren't subtitled and I'm really curious to know what they were saying. Same with Madam Gao's.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
I'm pretty sure theyw ere supposed to be subtitled, there were huge swathes of ep4 in Russian.

thescience
Jul 18, 2006

XboxPants posted:

1x13
Anyone else feel like the final Kingpin v Daredevil fight kinda fell flat, relatively speaking? It was still choreographed super well and everything, it's just... They didn't do enough throughout the series to convince me that Fisk would pose any kind of threat to super-powered, ninja-trained Matt Murdock, so the whole time it felt like there were zero stakes. The Nobu fight felt way more dangerous.

I guess it still could have worked if it was just Matt pummeling the poo poo out of Fisk the whole time, but they didn't do that, and instead acted like he was an even match. Making Fisk a difficult opponent made sense in 1x09 when Matt was super-hosed up & kind of dying after fighting the Hand ninja, but here he was mostly healed from that.

I guess it also didn't help that I wasn't really mad at Fisk about the Urich thing. That whole death was so heavily telegraphed to me that I felt more upset at the writers for getting rid of such a rich character with so much potential for future stories than I felt mad at Fisk. If I was hated Fisk more I'm sure it woulda been thrilling to see him get beaten.

Don't get me wrong, though. The series was shockingly good. Cox, Woll, Henson, Dawson, Gunton, Moore, Curtis-Hall, Morgan, and more all put in fantastic performances. Vanessa Fisk's actress, in just a few lines, was maybe the break-out character of the show for me. I'm also extremely pleased they went so full-rear end comic book with ninjas and mystic old ladies and references to other poo poo all over the place.

The stakes really seem deflated after that long bad-guy roundup montage. Everything after feels like simple wrap up and almost a teaser for the next season rather than a boss fight.

The whole last fight with Fisk just didn't click with me either. I think a large part of it was the editing. I understand the practical reason they needed to cut every time Matt switched the modes on his baton; but having a close up cut every time he does it just breaks up the action and makes you have to refocus when it cuts back. It was really strange because there didn't seem to be any inherent value to changing the batons. He wasn't adapting to something Fisk was doing and it didn't provide any advantage, even temporary, in the flow of the battle.

All in all, I think the final fight of the season with the main threat of the season was probably its worst.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Netflix has notoriously bad subtitles, from what i remember they get them done super cheap, and therefore there are always words missing, or things poorly translated.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Oasx posted:

Netflix has notoriously bad subtitles, from what i remember they get them done super cheap, and therefore there are always words missing, or things poorly translated.

Not from anything I've seen the last 6 months.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

XboxPants posted:

1x13

Speaking of references, here's one very tenuous MCU connection I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else: (not sure what episode it was, let's just say 1x12 to be safe)
At the party where people get poisoned drinks, Owlsley mentions a "Van Lunt" who operates under the guidance of a personal astrologer. That'd be Cornelius Van Lunt AKA Taurus, one of the Zodiac cartel. And, Peggy Carter encountered the Zodiac group in her one-shot.

1x01- 1x13 Nelson and Murdoch is located in the Van Lunt Real Estate office. You can read it in the faded letters on the window under their paper sign.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
1x08

Jesus gently caress Fisk as a kid

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Welp, finished.

1x13:

Last fight with Fisk wasn't the boss fight I expected it to be, but there were quite a few subversions throughout the way so I'm not that surprised. Fisk being goony as gently caress in all his interactions with people that seemed more real than him was good, too. Also liked the fact that Murdock's super senses were not the forefront of the show, but a part of him

Regarding Ben Urich:

I expected Urich to go out with a car bomb with all the scenes with his car and his key fumbling and all lol

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

1x03

Holy gently caress did he really just impale himself on that jesus christ wtf

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Dead Like Rev posted:

1x03

Holy gently caress did he really just impale himself on that jesus christ wtf

As great as that scene is, it would have been nice if we had actually seen something to back this up.

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007
I am halfway through the season and I am loving it. Foggy may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think he is my favorite.

I am also fairly fluent in Russian and I had to translate for my dad in the places without subtitles. I was surprised that they didn't subtitle all of it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Wow , I was to sleepy to finish things last night, woke up and just finished it this morning. Probably the one of the best adaptation of a origin story every put on the screen, it had time to breathe, and let you really get involved with the characters.

E1 x13 The Fisk fight was appropriate it actually, I mean the fight choreography was top loving notch, and just man every thing from Fisk asking Vanessa to marry him onward was amazing. I know they said well "Fisk couldn't handle him in a fight" but I thought the end fight with him was appropo , two men who believe in the city fighting it out in a alley way. Also, Daredevil fought Fisk after he was out of the wreckage of the Police van and weakened. [/spoilered]

E1x 12 [spoiler] I cannot loving believe they killed Ben Urich, that was pretty shocking and honestly I felt it was a mistake

The fight scenes in this were loving amazing , and I like how "real" they made them feel.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I don't take issue with the lack of subtitles. They're pretty consistent on having another character translate when it's something important being said and I enjoy the unpredictability that comes from the bad guys saying general stuff in another language that I don't understand.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Hollismason posted:

E1x 12 I cannot loving believe they killed Ben Urich, that was pretty shocking and honestly I felt it was a mistake

Nah, with how Fisk is gone now, Ben kinda did his piece. They hit you on the head with Internet making news papers less of a news agency several times, even and Ben, without Fisk, would be kinda pointless . Rather than writing him out, they make his death a big, unifying thing for Matt, Foggy and Karen.

Of course, half of what Ben Urich does in the comics nowadays is tied to Spiderman too, so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

therobotking posted:

I don't take issue with the lack of subtitles. They're pretty consistent on having another character translate when it's something important being said and I enjoy the unpredictability that comes from the bad guys saying general stuff in another language that I don't understand.

Yeah. I thought it was explained well enough by third parties.