Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Also, I don't think this is to spoilery its about a easter egg but can someone confirm that The Nelson and Murdock lawfirm, when they open the door the sign across the room for the other office says Atlas Corportation the one in the hallway.

Oh and also 1x13 That's Wilson Fisk through out the series, he only becomes the Kingpin at the very end, he sees how badly he hosed everything else up. He's even wearing his "costume" a white suit. That's what I think people aren't getting is that this isn't the Kingpin this is the RISE of the Kingpin.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
None of the episodes were missing any subtitles for me. But they also seemed to be part of the actual show and not Netflix typical subtitles that suck worse than live, local news closed caption.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

None of the Russians stuff was subtitled it seemed. I went back through scenes to see if my Subtitles were hosed up.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hollismason posted:

Oh and also 1x13 That's Wilson Fisk through out the series, he only becomes the Kingpin at the very end, he sees how badly he hosed everything else up. He's even wearing his "costume" a white suit. That's what I think people aren't getting is that this isn't the Kingpin this is the RISE of the Kingpin.

1X13
I wouldn't say it was the rise of the Kingpin, more his origin. Which is kind of funny because Daredevil was already daredeviling at the start of the series so the only hero origin we got was the completion of the Nelson and Murdock law firm.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Gyges posted:

1X13
I wouldn't say it was the rise of the Kingpin, more his origin. Which is kind of funny because Daredevil was already daredeviling at the start of the series so the only hero origin we got was the completion of the Nelson and Murdock law firm.

1x13 Right it's the Origin of the Kingpin but he's not The Kingpin in the actual series he's Wilson Fisk , one of the things I liked was that everyone really was like " How the gently caress do we take down Wisk" and I thought they really brought this air of untouchability to his character. I like D' Ofirio ( I know I always spell his name wrong) potrayal of him , it's loving excellent and believable. Of course he's a loving lunatic with emotional problems and you can understand why

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
An now we're back to an episode with a huge chunk in Spanish.

This is ridiculous.

I don't understand why some people seem to have subtitles for the foreign parts, some people have some subtitles and I have none.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sorvah posted:

An now we're back to an episode with a huge chunk in Spanish.

This is ridiculous.

I don't understand why some people seem to have subtitles for the foreign parts, some people have some subtitles and I have none.

I really only have seen the (more than) occasional Chinese and Russian subs. When Kingpin's getting Chinese spoken to him his assistant translates for him, and there are no subs when someone translates.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
This show has many advantages over the CW shows, but one obvious is the fact that it actually knows how to handle the whole secret identity thing and make it count. Fogy just found out and the actually make the reveal count. It's great how much this actually changes the dynamic of the entire series. It also helped that they actually gave the Karen and Foggy a subplot of their own that actually mattered.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Foggy is loving awesome. Like there's dynamite performances all around but he is perfect.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014

Drifter posted:

I really only have seen the (more than) occasional Chinese and Russian subs. When Kingpin's getting Chinese spoken to him his assistant translates for him, and there are no subs when someone translates.

so in 1x7 when Karen and the old lady are talking in spanish did you get any subs?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

I think a key issue surrounding this series that I thought was really interesting was the fact that Matt Murdock is a Catholic and Christian struggling with his faith.

General Spoilers for the whole series 1 -13

I find it interesting that although he has heightened senses, and heightened abilities. He doesn't kill people , meanwhile almost all the other Marvel Superheroes do. Captain America , Iron Man, etc.. do not have rules about not killing people. They don't go out of their way to murder people but Daredevil does go out of his way to NOT murder people.

The entire series resolves around Christian ideology regarding Good/Evil which I think is really interesting and brings a nuance to the character that's missing from other Super Hero films of the MCU.

He kills one person, through out the series and that's literally when he is going to be killed himself.

Meanwhile you've got Wilson Fisk talking about no god and being unable to pray.Kind of interesting dynamic there where the main villian is a atheist and the other is a Catholic.

If anything the entire point of the series seems to be saying " God is real and does exist"

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 11, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sorvah posted:

so in 1x7 when Karen and the old lady are talking in spanish did you get any subs?

Yes. At 31 minutes in. That entire conversation.

But I don't get subtitles when say, Foggy's in the room (not the same episode) and he gets it translated for him by Matt or Karen.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

For people having issues with subtitles, are you watching it with English captions turned on? My hearing isn't the best, and my apartment has paper thin walls, so I always watch Netflix with subtitles/CC turned on, so I had no issues with the Spanish/Russian bits not being subtitled.

Before they showed D'Onofrio on screen, I had NO idea why he'd been chosen as the Kingpin, and wasn't sure what to expect. I had no clue that's what he's looking like these days. Is he just looking kinda rough and bulky in general, or did he bulk up for this role?

E: I'm not too familiar with Daredevil comics. I know Kingpin and that Turk guy are in the comics, but anyone know if the others (Madame Gao, Nobu, Leland (?) and the RUssians) are comic characters? Or are they made up for the show?

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014

Drifter posted:

But I don't get subtitles when say, Foggy's in the room (not the same episode) and he gets it translated for him by Matt or Karen.

Netflix can get hosed then, I didn't get any subtitles when they were turned on in the app, I didn't get any subtitles when they were turned off in the app.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Drifter posted:

The translation Matt and Karen are doing is actually correct, just so you know, still I understand the frustration. For example, a Russian or Chinese character says something, is translated by another character, but then I'm left with the wonder if they translated everything they said. But this is just a complain that doesn't rest quality in the series. Which is awesome. So loving drat awesome.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Oh hey, Episode 10 has a Roxxon name drop.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hollismason posted:

I think a key issue surrounding this series that I thought was really interesting was the fact that Matt Murdock is a Catholic and Christian struggling with his faith.

General Spoilers for the whole series 1 -13

I find it interesting that although he has heightened senses, and heightened abilities. He doesn't kill people , meanwhile almost all the other Marvel Superheroes do. Captain America , Iron Man, etc.. do not have rules about not killing people. They don't go out of their way to murder people but Daredevil does go out of his way to NOT murder people.

The entire series resolves around Christian ideology regarding Good/Evil which I think is really interesting and brings a nuance to the character that's missing from other Super Hero films of the MCU.

He kills one person, through out the series and that's literally when he is going to be killed himself.

1X13
I wouldn't say he goes that far out of his way not to kill people. He tried to keep Vladimir alive, but that was mostly because he needed information. He just watched the one detective inject his partner with poison, only stepping in aftewards to get info. Plus he's dropping guys off buildings and pounding the gently caress out of their heads. Hell, he kills Nobu but then no one other than Fisk and the bad guys ever mention it again.

Killing in Daredevil is about intent. Did you show up planning to kill the guy? That's murder and wrong. Did you kill the guy in self defense, inadvertently through a sever beating and gravity, or in a desperate fight to the death with a guy you didn't come to kill? Well, that's just how the cookie crumbles.

Setting a ninja on fire and throwing a Russian off a roof and into a coma are both just fine. Slashing at the Kingpin with a blade while he tries to beat the gently caress out of you? Whoah dude, that's a bit much. Thought you were supposed to be better than the people you fought.

Also apparently shooting the guy who drugged and kidnapped you, then threatened the lives of everyone you ever loved is morally pretty dark grey and could really go either way for Karen.

So I guess now that I think about it, the moral stance on killing is loving bonkers in this show and worse than using a stupid Batman rule of NEVER KILL!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Desperado Bones posted:

The translation Matt and Karen are doing is actually correct, just so you know, still I understand the frustration. For example, a Russian or Chinese character says something, is translated by another character, but then I'm left with the wonder if they translated everything they said. But this is just a complain that doesn't rest quality in the series. Which is awesome. So loving drat awesome.

The show seemed pretty clear that verbal translations were mostly accurate if losing something in translation. The only exception was [sorry I can't remember the episode but it was latter in the run and this isn't really much of a spoiler]Nobu getting pissed at Wesley not translating his intentional rudeness and vulgarity, making it seem like he wasn't being a giant douche to Fisk.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

LadyPictureShow posted:

E: I'm not too familiar with Daredevil comics. I know Kingpin and that Turk guy are in the comics, but anyone know if the others (Madame Gao, Nobu, Leland (?) and the RUssians) are comic characters? Or are they made up for the show?

Leland Owlsey is, I think, the only one who exists in Marvel comics. He's really different, though. He looks like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0c/Owlmaleev.jpg

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Holy crap, this show is amazing. Who knew Iron Fist would be such a good TV show character.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm not frustrated at all if there aren't subtitles so long as there's a way I can understand it. Them having someone translate for a character works fine for me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Gyges posted:

1X13
I wouldn't say he goes that far out of his way not to kill people. He tried to keep Vladimir alive, but that was mostly because he needed information. He just watched the one detective inject his partner with poison, only stepping in aftewards to get info. Plus he's dropping guys off buildings and pounding the gently caress out of their heads. Hell, he kills Nobu but then no one other than Fisk and the bad guys ever mention it again.

Killing in Daredevil is about intent. Did you show up planning to kill the guy? That's murder and wrong. Did you kill the guy in self defense, inadvertently through a sever beating and gravity, or in a desperate fight to the death with a guy you didn't come to kill? Well, that's just how the cookie crumbles.

Setting a ninja on fire and throwing a Russian off a roof and into a coma are both just fine. Slashing at the Kingpin with a blade while he tries to beat the gently caress out of you? Whoah dude, that's a bit much. Thought you were supposed to be better than the people you fought.

Also apparently shooting the guy who drugged and kidnapped you, then threatened the lives of everyone you ever loved is morally pretty dark grey and could really go either way for Karen.

So I guess now that I think about it, the moral stance on killing is loving bonkers in this show and worse than using a stupid Batman rule of NEVER KILL!

The point is though that it's intent. It didn't give the impression to me at least that he was waiting for the detective to be injected to then interrogate him, when he arrives he just knows that's what has happened.The Fisk and the Nobu things were both him lashing out and trying to live though. Also he intentionally through him off the roof into the garbage bin.

It's the intent that matters, that was the whole point of Sticks training and methodology versus his unwillingness to become an assassin for Stick.

He actually debates on whether he should kill Wilson Fisk, and in fact goes there with the intent to kill Wilson Fisk and realizes he is wrong. Hence his with the law methods.

Captain America , Iron Man and others intentionally kill people. Iron Man straight up kills people and so does Captain America It's not that their bad people, Captain America is flat out a soldier. So is viewpoint is pretty much the same as STicks.

Matt at least struggles with it, he at least says " Why can't I kill this man, should I kill this man, is it RIGHT to kill this man". Matt also shows a level of knowledge and in depth skill into the human body through his senses that he knows and this is important how not to kill.

I mean his senses are super human, so he knows exactly how much he can hurt someone, which I think is pretty interesting.

He also feels guilty about what he's doing which is what I thought was really interesting.

Petr posted:

Leland Owlsey is, I think, the only one who exists in Marvel comics. He's really different, though. He looks like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0c/Owlmaleev.jpg

Actually 1x13 He's not the OWL, he specifically talks about his son, Lee which would be short for Leland, it'd also give nuance to the Owl and Kingpin hating each others loving guts so his son being the Owl and the reason him coming to New York over his father's death is more interesting

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 11, 2015

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Haha, nice little gag in 1x05

When Matt's at the precinct, there's a poster behind him that says "You don't have to reveal your identity to help stop violent crimes."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just spotted a nerdy Easter egg. Nelson & Murdock's offices are across the hall from an Atlas front company. :v:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Finished the first episode. That twist at the very end is almost too unrealistic, I think, and I'm wondering whether it's going to take me out of the rest of the series. Matt Murdock is the vigilante?? He's blind!

I also don't understand why they keep dropping all these references to Hell's Kitchen. I checked on imdb, and Gordon Ramsey never got anywhere near this series. I understand about cross-promotion, but you'd think he could have stuck his head in for a twenty-second cameo.

Other than that, though, seemed like a pretty decent setup for a show. I'm still not sure how Evel Knievel is going to become the protagonist, but I can't wait for him to finally show up.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
1x11

holy gently caress! that ending! wesley noooooooo

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone mentioned how absolutely worth paying eight euro this show is?

Because it very much is. Pretty high hopes for the other shows.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
For less than the price of a movie ticket this has been a fantastic show to watch.

Gyges posted:

1X08

How a Senator was going to help with zoning and permitting makes no drat sense though. That's local poo poo, and he was implied to be a US Senator. Unless Hell's Kitchen is part of DC, Congress has dick all to do with clearing the way to rebuild the city.

Well, that guy would probably have a LOT of great political contacts and could help bribe people by furthering careers and whatnot.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
1x09

The Hand

Matt and Vanessa

Matt and Fisk!

Dat fight scene

Flaming ninja

FOGGY KNOWS

There's no :stare: in the world big enough

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

So having slept after watching the first 6 episodes, I'm wondering if 1x01-06 (but especially due to the events of 1x06) have people recognized that the masked vigilante seems to have really lovely eye holes / is maybe blind or is this just something I should suspend my disbelief? The canonical DD outfit has normal eye slots so that's not an issue, but the guy running around right now just has a piece of cloth covering his head entirely, or do people assume it's like pantyhose or something in that if it's stretched and close to your face you can see through it ala Spidey's outfit or something.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

I plan on rewatching it but another thing about the series that's really good is the some what realistic depiction of his injuries and how this affects the flow of the show Episodes 1-13 After getting his rear end kicked by Nobu I'm pretty sure it's weeks , not days that he's completely laid up after that fight. This also happens through out the series, it actually has a time frame for this happening. Like he legitimately just lays on a couch most of a episode.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Phenotype posted:

Finished the first episode. That twist at the very end is almost too unrealistic, I think, and I'm wondering whether it's going to take me out of the rest of the series. Matt Murdock is the vigilante?? He's blind!

I also don't understand why they keep dropping all these references to Hell's Kitchen. I checked on imdb, and Gordon Ramsey never got anywhere near this series. I understand about cross-promotion, but you'd think he could have stuck his head in for a twenty-second cameo.

Other than that, though, seemed like a pretty decent setup for a show. I'm still not sure how Evel Knievel is going to become the protagonist, but I can't wait for him to finally show up.

Ravane parachute account discovered.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Xtanstic posted:

So having slept after watching the first 6 episodes, I'm wondering if 1x01-06 (but especially due to the events of 1x06) have people recognized that the masked vigilante seems to have really lovely eye holes / is maybe blind or is this just something I should suspend my disbelief? The canonical DD outfit has normal eye slots so that's not an issue, but the guy running around right now just has a piece of cloth covering his head entirely, or do people assume it's like pantyhose or something in that if it's stretched and close to your face you can see through it ala Spidey's outfit or something.

on occasion in the right lighting you can actually see through it so it's probably the latter.

edit: poo poo double post sorry.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Drifter posted:

Well, that guy would probably have a LOT of great political contacts and could help bribe people by furthering careers and whatnot.

1X08
Maybe, but it's going to be a lot cheaper just to bribe those guys.Fisk already owns huge swaths of the legal system, why are local politicians apparently so much harder to buy/blackmail than everyone else?

Xtanstic posted:

1X06
Given the way he kicks rear end and moves, no one in a million years is going to assume he's blind. Madamn Gao had that poo poo figured out from the start. No one is going to be looking for a blind person for anything other than maybe puppy donation.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Gyges posted:

1X08
Maybe, but it's going to be a lot cheaper just to bribe those guys.Fisk already owns huge swaths of the legal system, why are local politicians apparently so much harder to buy/blackmail than everyone else?

Not sure, but you can make the case that local politicians don't want prestige, power, or money, and they have just enough ambition to want to make their neighborhood a better place and nothing more.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Darth Ballz posted:

Not sure, but you can make the case that local politicians don't want prestige, power, or money, and they have just enough ambition to want to make their neighborhood a better place and nothing more.

I really wish I could believe this. Unfortunately I know of no history that supports said case.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
They should make a spinoff of just Stick going around being a dick

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I like Foggy a lot as-is but every scene he's in I just feel bummed out for DC Pierson for the missed job opportunity - he couldn't be more similar. At least he had Cap 2.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Darth Ballz posted:

Some people are easier to buy off with promises of power, a senator owing you a favor can be worth a hell of a lot more then a million dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Episode 10 is like an entire episode of :cry: