Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Can someone link me to the Assholes in Wrestling thread? By far my favorite thread and I lost it in the archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
was this a worked shoot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlR8tIEaV0o

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

complete wrestling bubble moment here but was the EAT, SLEEP, SUPLEX, REPEAT promo/shirt what kicked off the absolute wave of EAT, SLEEP, _____, REPEAT shirts that are all over gyms now?

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

minoru suzuki posted:

complete wrestling bubble moment here but was the EAT, SLEEP, SUPLEX, REPEAT promo/shirt what kicked off the absolute wave of EAT, SLEEP, _____, REPEAT shirts that are all over gyms now?

that shirt was inspired by the latter. Nike has had them for a while with things like EAT, SLEEP, TRAIN, REPEAT or whatever else. I have no clue what the exact origin is

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

astrollinthepork posted:

Can someone link me to the Assholes in Wrestling thread? By far my favorite thread and I lost it in the archives.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3487630

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Slipknot started it in the late nineties with their debut album mate.feed.kill.repeat. [Probably not]

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
So I just started watching WWE again a couple of weeks before Wrestlemania, I had stopped watching around the time Shawn Michaels and Edge retired. There's a couple of things I haven't quite caught up yet.

What's going on with the tag team division? Hart Dynasty is now DJs instead of Canadian, Prime Time Players are literally Cryme Tyme, there's Egyptian Roadwarriors, a team of Luchadores (one of them might be Sincara? Or both?) and New Day, who are a group of black construction workers who like clapping and that makes them heels (there's some Xpac heat going on, right?)

Also, could you recommend me a must-see Daniel Bryans match? I've only seen him as part of Nexus, and now a couple of pretty cool but not mind-blowing matches recently. I've seen that he is skilled, but I don't get why the American Dragon is such a big deal.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The tag division is a clusterfuck, but the tag champs own. Tyson Kidd went down to NXT for a while and found a personality (also, watch NXT), and the other guy is Cesaro who is an awesome Swiss power wrestler.

Prime Time Players broke up a while back and recently reformed. Darren was injured and Titus had a lovely singles run nobody cared about. They haven't done much yet but make funny promos.

The Ascension used to have a goth gimmick in NXT when it was still FCW, then morphed into a weird steampunk/Stargate/JRPG villain gimmick, now they're whatever they are now.

New Day were supposed to be a Nation of Domination 2.0 until Ferguson happened, so they never debuted. Instead they got a gospel revival-type gimmick but without the actual religion part, so they just clap and are happy a lot. People started hating on them so now they're doing a gradual heel turn.

Lucha Dragons are Sin Cara (Hunico actually; if you remember the fake Sin Cara from a few years back, it's him under the mask now), and the other guy is Kalisto who was Samuray Del Sol on the indies. They also came up from NXT.

Watch NXT. It's great.

Bryan had some great matches with CM Punk in 2012 (Over the Limit and I think a couple others), Cena in 2013 (Summerslam), Bray Wyatt in 2014 (Royal Rumble), and at Wrestlemania XXX when he wrestled twice. He had a great story going into it. Probably a ton of others I'm forgetting because there really isn't a bad Bryan match.

You will also want to go back and catch up with The Shield if you haven't already. Rollins/Ambrose/Reigns worked amazingly well with each other.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 11, 2015

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Lord Hypnostache posted:

So I just started watching WWE again a couple of weeks before Wrestlemania, I had stopped watching around the time Shawn Michaels and Edge retired. There's a couple of things I haven't quite caught up yet.

What's going on with the tag team division? Hart Dynasty is now DJs instead of Canadian, Prime Time Players are literally Cryme Tyme, there's Egyptian Roadwarriors, a team of Luchadores (one of them might be Sincara? Or both?) and New Day, who are a group of black construction workers who like clapping and that makes them heels (there's some Xpac heat going on, right?)

Also, could you recommend me a must-see Daniel Bryans match? I've only seen him as part of Nexus, and now a couple of pretty cool but not mind-blowing matches recently. I've seen that he is skilled, but I don't get why the American Dragon is such a big deal.

Last year, before the Rumble, they had Daniel Bryan join the Wyatt Family (swamp cult, heels) in a dumb attempt to try and get the crowds to stop chanting for him nonstop. It didn't work, it lasted about 2 weeks because the audience just rejected it entirely.

This isn't his greatest match, but this was probably the most amazing Daniel Bryan moment of them all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttiGTC5B2gg

Also, he was concussed at the time so he doesn't remember it at all, which sucks. It gives me chills watching it though, every single time.

As for matches, his last PPV singles match against Roman Reigns was really good. So were his matches at Wrestlemania 30, the HHH one especially but the main event is also really good. He's one of the best wrestlers on the planet, so you'll have a hard time finding anything less than good matches from him.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Clarification: the new day was supposed to be the nation of domination as much as any stable of white dudes are supposed to be the new shield (i.e. not at all)

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

flatluigi posted:

Clarification: the new day was supposed to be the nation of domination as much as any stable of white dudes are supposed to be the new shield (i.e. not at all)

The promo that united them as a group was very clearly setting up a Nation 2.0 and the ugly racism of America was forced into the headlines once again and the WWE rightfully backed down. And we all know how WWE works: if plan A fails, just give up and kill all heat.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Just watch the main events of Summerslam 2013, elimination chamber 2014 and Wrestlemania 30 and you'll catch up on basically everything Bryan/good in the last few years (Punk/Lesnar, Cena/Bryan, Wyatts/Shield, Elimination Chamber match, Bryan/HHH, triple threat title match)

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I was just reminded of King of the Ring '95 (I remember renting this on VHS and thinking Savio Vega was a much bigger deal than he was actually was), and what the hell went on with the booking for that PPV? I don't think I have ever read or heard the reasons as to why Shawn Michaels fought Kama to a time-limit draw (so neither wrestler advanced to fight Mabel), or why they would have Undertaker and Shawn Michaels in the top half of the bracket and then not book them to wrestle (instead giving us the Mabel bye).

I know talent was thin in 1995, but is that the only reason?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember everyone just kind of assumed Undertaker was going to rampage through that tourney, so when he went out like he did it was kind of like, "Buh!?"

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
For some more of Bryan's best WWE matches, look up any Shield vs. Bryan/Kane/anybody matches, cause they were all pretty fantastic.

Twin Cinema posted:

I was just reminded of King of the Ring '95 (I remember renting this on VHS and thinking Savio Vega was a much bigger deal than he was actually was), and what the hell went on with the booking for that PPV? I don't think I have ever read or heard the reasons as to why Shawn Michaels fought Kama to a time-limit draw (so neither wrestler advanced to fight Mabel), or why they would have Undertaker and Shawn Michaels in the top half of the bracket and then not book them to wrestle (instead giving us the Mabel bye).

I know talent was thin in 1995, but is that the only reason?

I think it was all pretty much to build up Mabel as a monster heel for Diesel. As for the Shawn/Kama draw, I would assume a combination of Shawn not wanting to job and Mabel not being capable of wrestling 3 times in one night.

EDIT - Though, I was in the same boat as you. Between KOTR 95 and the next night on Raw when he came very close to winning the IC title, I thought Savio was going to be a huge deal. Honestly, looking back on it I'm a little surprised he wasn't if only because you only have to listen to a couple of minutes of commentary to tell that Vince loving loved saying his name.

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 11, 2015

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

minoru suzuki posted:

EAT SLEEP CONQUER REPEAT was the initial Lesnar shirt, then it was CONQUER THE STREAK, then CONQUER JOHN CENA, then after suplexing Cena 16 times it was SUPLEX REPEAT. Now Heyman has a PROMO REPEAT shirt

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Where does that Eat, Sleep, Rave, Repeat song fit into the timeline?

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Perry Normal posted:

For some more of Bryan's best WWE matches, look up any Shield vs. Bryan/Kane/anybody matches, cause they were all pretty fantastic.

It seemed like for months there was one of these on every single show and every one of them was awesome.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Perry Normal posted:

I think it was all pretty much to build up Mabel as a monster heel for Diesel. As for the Shawn/Kama draw, I would assume a combination of Shawn not wanting to job and Mabel not being capable of wrestling 3 times in one night.

EDIT - Though, I was in the same boat as you. Between KOTR 95 and the next night on Raw when he came very close to winning the IC title, I thought Savio was going to be a huge deal. Honestly, looking back on it I'm a little surprised he wasn't if only because you only have to listen to a couple of minutes of commentary to tell that Vince loving loved saying his name.

Savio was booked as an underdog for the fans to get behind, so that Mabel beating him to become a monster heel would mean more.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

that's just quality wrestling

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

no, that's an old school heel tactic that they don't do anymore for some reason

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I was at a house show once where Edge took that to its logical conclusion and tore up *every sign in the crowd*. Took him about ten minutes.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Are any wrestlers into Scientology or is that something people are secretive about?

(And is Booker's new book any good?)

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

flatluigi posted:

Xavier was going for a Nation of Islam character, and The Shield were only 2/3 white dudes.

What now, flatHITLER? :smuggo:

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Worst Make-a-Wish visit ever

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Xavier was going for a Nation of Islam character, and The Shield were only 2/3 white dudes.

What now, flatHITLER? :smuggo:

If anything, Woods was trying to be Black Brother Love.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

no, that's an old school heel tactic that they don't do anymore for some reason

I think wwe would be wary about supporting anti-bullying campaigns and letting their heels rip up a child's sign. seems like something they'd decide at least

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

magnum_valentino posted:

Are any wrestlers into Scientology or is that something people are secretive about?

If anything most wrestlers that talk about religion (at least those that were around in the 80s and 90s) seem to be born-again christian.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

I think wwe would be wary about supporting anti-bullying campaigns and letting their heels rip up a child's sign. seems like something they'd decide at least

Like WWE never sends mixed messages? Literally hours before they inducted Konnor the Crusher in the HoF, Stephanie tweeted something to the effect of "Philanthropy is the next big marketing thing that we can make money on!" Also Ryback's gimmick was literally a crybaby bully the last time they were promoting anti-bullying.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WWE figured out (quite a while after the rest of corporate America) that philanthropy is a good tax break and good for "optics," yes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bradzilla posted:

Like WWE never sends mixed messages? Literally hours before they inducted Konnor the Crusher in the HoF, Stephanie tweeted something to the effect of "Philanthropy is the next big marketing thing that we can make money on!" Also Ryback's gimmick was literally a crybaby bully the last time they were promoting anti-bullying.

Why does a heel being a bully conflict with an anti-bullying message? It doesn't.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure the anti-bullying campaign started right around when they had Ryback shoving nerds into catering tables every week.

Edit: And beaten like a government mule

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Also lol at this forum still trying to make Be a Star jokes all the time like four years later.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Also lol at this forum still trying to make Be a Star jokes all the time like four years later.

ADR was the face of one of their anti bullying programs up until he got bullied and fired.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Ryback's bullying gimmick was awesome, I miss it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WWE has heels and also philanthropy programs! LOL!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

WWE has heels and also philanthropy programs! LOL!

I think the most backlash they ever got on the Be A Star campaign was Lawler making fun of Vickie's weight.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Let me tell you a personal story about Vince McMahon, you know they have this whole bully campaign [cuts mic]

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

magnum_valentino posted:

No, sadly. It's basically all about his in ring career so a lot of it just reads like wikipedia summaries of WCW and WWE PPVs. Big let down compared to his first book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Luigi Thirty posted:

ADR was the face of one of their anti bullying programs up until he got bullied and fired.

I still laugh that Cornettes response is a disapproved "In the old days if a loving nobody like him tried this poo poo the boys would have had him wake up ducttapped in a ditch stark naked. I'm sure they'll find some way to get him back."