Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
Wow, Daredevil is amazing. I really didn't expect it to get as violent as it does, which really makes me think that Marvel could do The Punisher in the MCU as it wouldn't have to be that much worse than what I've seen so far.

1x04 The rib shank and Kingpin crushing the Russian brothers head, then of course the bowling ball and self-impaling from episode 3. :stare: is the most appropriate reaction to how goddamn good and surprising this show is.

I'm really excited for the rest of the Marvel Netflix shows now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
01x05
Foggy loving dismantled his ex in Landman-Sachs, goddamn :stare:

Foggy really is the best. :allears:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WarLocke posted:

01x05
Foggy loving dismantled his ex in Landman-Sachs, goddamn :stare:

Foggy really is the best. :allears:

Wait until you see the scene with him and his bat

Also the fucken Owl and Gladiator

Oh poo poo that is Herc in episode 8.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 11, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

bobkatt013 posted:

Wait until you see the scene with him and his bat

Also the fucken Owl and Gladiator

Oh poo poo that is Herc in episode 8.

That is Gladiator , but that may not beThe Owl. Leland specifically mentions his son which he refers to as Lee.

Where did you see Herc?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Hollismason posted:

Also, I don't think this is to spoilery its about a easter egg but can someone confirm that The Nelson and Murdock lawfirm, when they open the door the sign across the room for the other office says Atlas Corportation the one in the hallway.

It is definitely Atlas Investments. Is that a reference to the Olympus group AKA Best Hero Ever Hercules?? Or just a boring Atlas Comics/Atlas Foundation?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

^^ Atlas the series was pretty great and you do not want to see this?

Hollismason posted:

That is Gladiator , but that may not beThe Owl. Leland specifically mentions his son which he refers to as Lee.

Where did you see Herc?

Not the comic character but the actor who played Herc in the Wire.

I assumed its That is Owl as he started out as an account then became a crimelord. You could also see him displeased with the way Fisk is doing things.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 11, 2015

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Where did you see Herc?

Ep8
Herc from the wire, Domenick Lombardozzi, plays Fisks dad.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

XboxPants posted:

It is definitely Atlas Investments. Is that a reference to the Olympus group AKA Best Hero Ever Hercules?? Or just a boring Atlas Comics/Atlas Foundation?

I'm pretty sure it's a reference to the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agents_of_Atlas

Maybe?

BSam posted:

Ep8
Herc from the wire, Domenick Lombardozzi, plays Fisks dad.

Oh I thought you mean HERC as in Hercules

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Holy fucken poo poo

Keep kicking Keep kickin scene

Michael Clarke Duncan was a great Kingpin, but Vincent D'Onofrio somehow is a better one.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a reference to the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agents_of_Atlas

Maybe?

The logo for the in-show company is basically the same, so if anything at all, it's probably a reference to this.

It's Marvel's predecessor company. (Timely --> Atlas --> Marvel)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So the Greek girl Foggy mentioned is Elektra?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Without a doubt.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Jose Oquendo posted:

There's no way that it is not.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Without a doubt.

FIgured. That person has to show up eventually in the show. Too big a part of the Daredevil character.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

FIgured. That person has to show up eventually in the show. Too big a part of the Daredevil character.

It also makes its so less shocking when they introduce the character as his long lost girlfriend

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Roxxon. My favorite fake company name in comics.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Ep13
Stilt-Man referenced in the MCU, now that is something I can get behind. Or beneath.

Because Stilt-Man gets really tall, you see.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Ep13
Stilt-Man referenced in the MCU, now that is something I can get behind. Or beneath.

Because Stilt-Man gets really tall, you see.

Wait what? I missed this, where was it?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Wait what? I missed this, where was it?

I've yet to see an image but apparently 1x13 his stilts show up in Gladiator's shop.

Can we get a timestamp, at least?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

XboxPants posted:

I've yet to see an image but apparently 1x13 his stilts show up in Gladiator's shop.

Pretty sure Daredevils original colour of red and yellow are in his shop as well

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
This does not even slightly justify the Raid/Hannibal comparisons but the sound is absolutely excellent.

There are some scenes that you can close your eyes on and it still works, almost like a radio play, presumably it's deliberate because blind but clearly thought has been put into this not terrible show.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
This is shockingly good.

I really REALLY want a Netflix Punisher series now. Base it off the MAX series and I will watch every single episode and buy every single blu-ray :allears:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Am I the only one who thinks the face at the very beginning of the credits looks exactly like Han Solo in carbonite?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

1x08
I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying the emergence of the kingpin as well. I'm digging how the series has been set up and we don't get the full origin story of everyone, just a few flashbacks but everyone is already competent and doing their thing. I'm also surprised at how much I'm liking vanessa and how she just rolls with everything.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

XboxPants posted:

I found it.

1x13
stilts!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
1x12

Aaaa Gao is totally there for Iron Fist set up :aaaaa:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

OldTennisCourt posted:

This is shockingly good.

I really REALLY want a Netflix Punisher series now. Base it off the MAX series and I will watch every single episode and buy every single blu-ray :allears:

The Punisher is trash and the MAX series was an ongoing punchline that turned south after a couple of episodes. The MCU will never do the Punisher because there's literally nothing to do, the character is fedora reddit pulp that got far too much attention because ITS NOT YOUR DADDYS SPIDERMAN. The Punisher doesn't just not fit the MCU, he doesn't fit anything, because the Punisher is a trash character.

Just getting onto Ep 4 and still really enjoying the sound design and this interpretation of Ben.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I'm finally done. That was... an experience. Now I just want more. Or Iron Fist, with all those little (and not so little) hints and foreshadowing. Sadly, it looks like we won't get Iron Fist until mid-late 2016, at least.

Jessica Jones is next, but she's the one I'm least interested in, I don't really know much about her other than 'luke cage's wife' and that the show is being produced by the lead writer of all Twilight movies and some Dexter, which isn't exactly filling me with optimism. Still, after Daredevil I should honestly just give them the benefit of the doubt, because.. wow.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Jessica Jones is the series I'm looking forward to MORE than Daredevil, because she's a very interesting character.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
1x12

BEN NOOOOOOOOOOOO :cry:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I didn't see anyone mention it but I'm 6 episodes in and just realized that Foggy is Fulton from the Mighty Ducks movies.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ahahaha. I saw it and it totally didn't register. :psyduck:

And yeah, Jessica Jones is a pretty awesome character. And I'm totally psyched for the Luke Cage show, if for nothing else than I love the Luke Cage actor. :allears:
I'm imagining Black Dynamite in the Marvel Universe.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

MindlessHavok posted:

I didn't see anyone mention it but I'm 6 episodes in and just realized that Foggy is Fulton from the Mighty Ducks movies.

No way man, he's the buddy from the Butterfly Effect.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
1x08: I can't even

How is it possible that I'm this happy for Wilson Fisk sorting out his issues and going public? And that I admire Mariana as much as I do for getting Fisk's back and essentially agreeing to be his Lady MacBeth?

And it sounds like it somehow gets even better. Jesus.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 11, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

The Punisher is trash and the MAX series was an ongoing punchline that turned south after a couple of episodes. The MCU will never do the Punisher because there's literally nothing to do, the character is fedora reddit pulp that got far too much attention because ITS NOT YOUR DADDYS SPIDERMAN. The Punisher doesn't just not fit the MCU, he doesn't fit anything, because the Punisher is a trash character.

Just getting onto Ep 4 and still really enjoying the sound design and this interpretation of Ben.

While I wouldn't go that far, I agree that I'm not so sure about Punisher being in the MCU. Punisher getting away with being a mass murderer with a kill count probably in the tens of thousands by this point despite there being superheroes everywhere is already pretty iffy with the more flexible comic book rules. It'd be even weirder on TV, especially if they try to portray him in any remotely positive light after the whole arc in Daredevil pretty much utterly rejecting a Punisher-style philosophy - he'd practically have more in common with Fisk.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Yeah The Punisher would be difficult to bring to screen because eventually the character is just a serial killer who targets criminals. He's basically Dexter, but with Guns. He's not super sympathetic and has no moral issues with just murdering people.

I mean maybe a Dexter style The Punisher mini series could work but I don't think it would.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
BTW, earlier in the thread some of you guys were looking for a metric to predict renewal? Well, last night between 6:30 and 8:30 I couldn't even connect to Netflix, it was so slammed. I don't think they're gonna cancel something that's so popular they have to get new servers to meet the demand. This is their Game of Thrones: poo poo's not going anywhere.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

DivisionPost posted:

BTW, earlier in the thread some of you guys were looking for a metric to predict renewal? Well, last night between 6:30 and 8:30 I couldn't even connect to Netflix, it was so slammed. I don't think they're gonna cancel something that's so popular they have to get new servers to meet the demand. This is their Game of Thrones: poo poo's not going anywhere.

Now, the question is if they're even allowed to make more Daredevil until the other four series are done, though.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I don't give two shits about Daredevil but I think this series may make me change my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Yeah The Punisher would be difficult to bring to screen because eventually the character is just a serial killer who targets criminals. He's basically Dexter, but with Guns. He's not super sympathetic and has no moral issues with just murdering people.

I mean maybe a Dexter style The Punisher mini series could work but I don't think it would.

I think he could work as either a villain or a morally gray ally, either for Daredevil or on any of the other series, like 1x06 Vladamir. And then you'd have to explicitly raise the issue of "is this guy any different from someone like Fisk?" I'd say he is. 1x13 Fisk's whole "savior" persona was a bullshit pretense all along, as he accepts in the "I'm not the Samaritan" speech. If improving the city and helping others was really his aim, he wouldn't be taking so much for himself, living in such luxury. He doesn't improve Hell's Kitchen for others, he does it for personal wealth and power. As Fisk himself said, he didn't kill his dad for his mother, he did it for himself.

They draw the perfect comparison with Murdock's job at the cushy firm. If Murdock would have taken that job, under the pretense that at some point in the future he's going to try to do good, but meanwhile being driven to work in a Benz, then he would have been the same as Fisk. But he didn't.

This show is all about Catholic martyrdom. You can't be a hero just by helping others only when it also helps yourself; to be a real hero, you have to be willing to help others even when you have to make a personal sacrifice to do it. And Punisher, as far away from Matt Murdock as he is, might just fit that criteria. At least, he fits it more than Fisk does.