Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Christ I hope they keep Daredevil out of the Avengers side of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

Christ I hope they keep Daredevil out of the Avengers side of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I think (hope) they know what a tonal clash this series would have with Marvel's Avengers stuff.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just finished, it was too good and now I need more. What trades should I get, having never read Daredevil before? Born Again sounds like a possible good next step from what I've seen suggested elsewhere. What else? And what is the Iron Fist stuff that was supposed to be amazing? Matt Fraction run? I gotta get me more of that (01x07) mystical kung fu poo poo that was hinted at with Stick in a dark room in front of mystery dude who sounded life he was voiced by Clancy Brown.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Get Frank Miller's stuff. It's amazing and hugely influential on other stuff. Fractions was good. I'm loving the current Waid run as well.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Yeah it's just dawning on me that we won't see another Daredevil series ever possibly :( . Like this is it for the next 2 years.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccck.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Has Vondie Curtis-Hall ever played a Klingon? Dude wouldn't even need forehead prosthetics.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Tom Gorman posted:

So it was genuinely one shot? No cuts?

No cuts. We did do a few Texas Switches between our actor and our stunt double, but it was purely a one shot fight. There were no cuts in that fight. Every performer, the actors and the stunt doubles, were in there performing that fight full on. I’d say there was a minimum of 105 beats, and they killed it.

Heathen posted:

1x02

I think that was all one shot, they just had more than one guy for the Masked Man parts. They swapped places when he went into the siderooms.

:smug:

Charlie Cox is the one who walks down the hallway, into the first room and the camera sweeps down the hallway the first time. When the camera sweeps back to its original position its the stunt double who swapped out of the nearby second room. He gets dragged into the second room once and fights his way back out. It's when he punches the bad guy and just falls through the doorway that it goes back to Charlie Cox. You can tell its two different people by the way they move.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Get Frank Miller's stuff. It's amazing and hugely influential on other stuff. Fractions was good. I'm loving the current Waid run as well.

Anything more specific, like issue numbers or trade names? I find superhero comics to be wildly confusing if they're not stand-alone books, I wouldn't even know what to search on Comixology.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just finished, that was a hell of a trip. Not the kind of thing I usually watch (I enjoy snarky "grit" like White Collar or Burn Notice to pure gritty stuff), but I'm glad I did.

For 1x02's marvelous one shot, the first time I watched it I was thinking "there's no way this was one take" and kept looking for the seams. I had to watch it a second time to actually watch the thing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I like that they are basically the worst law firm. They had 3 clients, only one of which who paid(with Fisk money).

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Well it only took two episodes to sell me on Daredevil. :aaa:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Watched through ep 9. Gonna wait a bit, don't want too binge too much and have the show just blur together.

EDIT: If I were someone looking to get into Daredevil comics, I would just start when Bendis revamped the character, and keep going until Ed Brubaker ends his run. A lot of great comics that amazing in their solid consistency.

EDIT 2: Brubaker (and Fraction) also did the amazing Iron Fist run, so get those comics as well.

EDIT 3: Here's the Bendis stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Daredevil-Michael-Bendis-Ultimate-Collection/dp/0785143882. Here's the Brubaker: http://www.amazon.com/Daredevil-Brubaker-Michael-Ultimate-Collection/dp/0785163344. And here's the amazing and out of control Iron Fist link: http://www.amazon.com/The-Immortal-Iron-Fist-Vol/dp/0785124896

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 12, 2015

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
This show makes me wish Marvel hadn't pissed away the rights to X-Men and Spider-Man.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Episode 2
Really good Catholicism joke

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

The show runners pretty much said they were given freedom to create their own tone and look for the show.

It does have subtle connections back to the rest of MCU through all the easter eggs.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

feedmyleg posted:

Anything more specific, like issue numbers or trade names? I find superhero comics to be wildly confusing if they're not stand-alone books, I wouldn't even know what to search on Comixology.

Here's the "must read" list for Daredevil

Frank Miller
Daredevil v1 158-191, 227-233 (Born Again)
Daredevil: The Man Without Fear

Brian Michael Bendis
Daredevil v2 26-81

Ed Brubaker
Daredevil v2 82-119, then Daredevil 500

Mark Waid
Daredevil v3 1-36, v4 1-current

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This is about right.

quote:

Ed Brubaker @brubaker · 13h 13 hours ago
About halfway through the Daredevil netflix show, and it's pretty loving perfect so far.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Drifter posted:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/marvels-netflix-bound-tv-shows-cost-whopping-200-million/

It's pretty hilarious just how amateur Daredevil makes the WB shows look, and I enjoy the Flash.

I figured with Daredevil being Red Batman it would be more Arrow than Flash, but I was hoping for something inbetween the two. Turns out Daredevil made everything look bad by comparison. For reference, Game of Thrones costs $6 million per episode. Arrow is $1.2M. At $3.3M Daredevil costs as much as an episode of Glee.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Petr posted:

This show makes me wish Marvel hadn't pissed away the rights to X-Men and Spider-Man.

So far as I know, they've always had the tv rights to Spider-Man and the X-Men, or at least for years now.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

Frank Miller's Daredevil Omnibus

Daredevil: Born Again

Bendis' Daredevil vol 1 and vol 2
http://www.goodreads.com/series/151314-daredevil-by-brian-michael-bendis

Love's Labors Lost

Brubaker's Omnibus
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6203215-daredevil-by-ed-brubaker-omnibus-vol-1?from_search=true

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This DeKnight interview from IndieWire at least gives me some hope.

quote:

I know that we have the whole Defenders universe that's evolving over the next couple of years, but are you also thinking, in the back of your mind, about "Daredevil" Season 2?

Well, you always hope that there's a Season 2. There's definitely little bits and pieces that we started laying in this season for if there was a Season 2 and also little bits and pieces we started laying the groundwork for the Defenders, down the road.

So, the answer is, you know, "yes?"

The answer is a hopeful yes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Slowpoke! posted:

Well it only took two episodes to sell me on Daredevil. :aaa:

I'm not sure if 1x1 was clunky or if I needed time to adjust to the story they were telling, but 1x2 is where I got hooked as well. If anyone's not feeling the show, I'd suggest watching at least that far unless your time is so precious you literally cannot find a couple of hours. Unless your turn-off is graphic violence, because holy poo poo.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The deal on season two is this, the entire Marvel/Netflix deal was already budgeted for five shows at $200 million. There would be time to do another season of Daredevil before the Defenders team up if they wanted, but it would have to be a separate deal that would have to be funded separately. They also would have to worry about oversaturation of the Marvel brand on Netflix and whether a potential season two would mess up whatever they have planned story wise for the other shows. So yeah they could do it if they work out the money for it, but we probably won't know that for a bit.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Weird thing to criticize: I'm somewhat distracted by how lousy the picture is in the night shots. It looks like they used electronic cameras with really bad low-light capabilities. Even from a distance I see dancing pixels and "snow drifts."

Daredevil: Proudly brought to you by the Canon T5.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Shageletic posted:

Watched through ep 9. Gonna wait a bit, don't want too binge too much and have the show just blur together.

EDIT: If I were someone looking to get into Daredevil comics, I would just start when Bendis revamped the character, and keep going until Ed Brubaker ends his run. A lot of great comics that amazing in their solid consistency.

EDIT 2: Brubaker (and Fraction) also did the amazing Iron Fist run, so get those comics as well.

EDIT 3: Here's the Bendis stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Daredevil-Michael-Bendis-Ultimate-Collection/dp/0785143882

I love that they had Matt do that exact iconic pose at one point. 1x13 I think it was in the big parkour montage when he was chasing the blind drug mule to find Gao's factory. I don't know if it's from anything particular, but that sort of "Jumping T Pose", where he's flying through the air with his feet together and his arms sticking out to his sides seems very "Daredevil" to me, though lots of other acrobatic superheroes do it as well. I wish we could have seen him do it in the red suit.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Mirage posted:

Weird thing to criticize: I'm somewhat distracted by how lousy the picture is in the night shots. It looks like they used electronic cameras with really bad low-light capabilities. Even from a distance I see dancing pixels and "snow drifts."

Daredevil: Proudly brought to you by the Canon T5.

My ultra nitpick is holy GOD Wesley's ears were red in some of his scenes. (I'm not sure if it was always him, maybe other characters too). Indoor shots. Maybe they didn't have heat? It was genuinely distracting. Maybe put some make-up on that or something if you're doing an HD tv show, I just can't look away, it's like Rudolph but with ears.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Boogaleeboo posted:

So far as I know, they've always had the tv rights to Spider-Man and the X-Men, or at least for years now.

They can't integrate them into the MCU though, can they?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Petr posted:

They can't integrate them into the MCU though, can they?

Marvel recently made a deal with Sony regarding Spider-Man and will be producing the next movie. Spider-Man is now part of the MCU and will first be seen in the next Captain America movie.

X-Men, no chance.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I don't think they have the television rights to X-Men, I know that Fox sued Marvel over some television series. We'll never see a X-men / Avengers movie ever though. I don't think that FOX and Marvel have a great relationship at all.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Heathen posted:

I figured with Daredevil being Red Batman it would be more Arrow than Flash, but I was hoping for something inbetween the two. Turns out Daredevil made everything look bad by comparison. For reference, Game of Thrones costs $6 million per episode. Arrow is $1.2M. At $3.3M Daredevil costs as much as an episode of Glee.

Well I'm not sure this makes Thrones look bad really, I mean if you stop to think what that show really has to pay for.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

1x04
Jesus gently caress, Fisk, what are you doing to Gideon Emery's brain?! :stare:

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
I'm not sleeping tonight. Only up to Ep2 and the stairway not-chainsaw sold me for life.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Just finished it. Really loved it. I started with cautiously optimistic hopes when the deal was first announced since I've enjoyed the MCU a lot. AoS's slow start made me worry that this show couldn't pull it off. The trailers got me really hyped and well I just blew through the series in two days. Good standalone episodes in a wider season arc. Winks at the MCU but not chained to it. Yeah the production quality blows all the current comic TV offerings but that's to be expected. The fight scenes were fantastic.

More general thoughts:

Really didn't expect to get so engrossed in the Vanessa dynamic. I'm surprised Wesley died like such a chump, but I'm pretty glad they gave the moment to Karen Page. The dynamic between her, Foggy and Murdock is great but god I hope they reveal Daredevil's identity to her sooner rather than latter, lest we enter the territory the WB shows end up threading. I got really irked at how sloppily they were investigating Fisk (which was probably the intent since Matt brings it up often). I spent the last few episodes terrified they were gonna kill off Foggy or Karen. I'm still disappointed Urich is dead :smith: I was looking forward to him being a recurring character.

Since all of my DD knowledge stems from the crappy Affleck movie and bits and pieces from the Fox Spidey cartoon in the 90s, can some comic guys shed light on what they've been foreshadowing and alluding to? I'm gonna go back and reread the thread and see if anyone has explained it already. I seem to have grasped that Stick and the shirtless guy is an Iron Fist reference, Nobu seems Hand affiliated and the Creel easter egg. What's the deal with Gao and her 'I'm going home farther than China' talk? Alternate dimension? Also what's the deal with the kid in the container that Stick killed? Some martial art prodigy meant to be molded into a weapon? Or was he like carrying some sort of bioweapon inside of him or something?

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 12, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It also benefit by having 13 episodes, instead of going with double of the number like Agents of Shield.

Felt more arc driven and focused instead of getting stuck in the monster of the week trap.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

It's obviously unfair to compare network TV to a focused Netflix offering. I'm enjoying everything I'm watching now (AoS, Flash and Arrow) so it's all good.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Agents of shield would have been much better if it could have just started closer to Winter Soldier's release. The monster of the week crap is just filler before the main event could actually start.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Xtanstic posted:

Since all of my DD knowledge stems from the crappy Affleck movie and bits and pieces from the Fox Spidey cartoon in the 90s, can some comic guys shed light on what they've been foreshadowing and alluding to? I'm gonna go back and reread the thread and see if anyone has explained it already. I seem to have grasped that Stick and the shirtless guy is an Iron Fist reference, Nobu seems Hand affiliated and the Creel easter egg. What's the deal with Gao and her 'I'm going home farther than China' talk? Alternate dimension? Also what's the deal with the kid in the container that Stick killed? Some martial art prodigy meant to be molded into a weapon? Or was he like carrying some sort of bioweapon inside of him or something?

DD comics have a lot of mysticism and yeah, alternate martial art spirit dimensions and ancient martial arts demons et cetera.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm pretty sure Agent's of Shield costs 3 to 5 million per episode as well. So saying budget is a issue is obviously not the case.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Xtanstic posted:

More general thoughts:

Since all of my DD knowledge stems from the crappy Affleck movie and bits and pieces from the Fox Spidey cartoon in the 90s, can some comic guys shed light on what they've been foreshadowing and alluding to? I'm gonna go back and reread the thread and see if anyone has explained it already. [spoiler]I seem to have grasped that Stick and the shirtless guy is an Iron Fist reference

1x08 In the comics Stick has his own order of Good Magic Ninjas called The Chaste. That shirtless guy is one of them, someone named Stone. He is listed in the credits.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
General spoiler:

There's an awful lot of Iron Fist nods in this series, while I didn't notice anything for Jessica Jones or Luke Cage. Guess the mystical elements of Iron Fist are a lot harder to sell to an audience that starts with Daredevil.