Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Godfish posted:

Juniper - The Fae
Knowing the difference between Petrificus Totalus and Petridish Toetalons is important for wand magic though. What damage have you caused because of a mistake trying to bind your magic and force it out through a narrow strip of wood?
Most of my classmates are nice.

Well, they're not nice nice, and they're definitely not my people, but they're polite enough not to ask annoying questions like "why haven't I seen you before this year?" and "Where did you transfer from?" and "What's that strange accent?" They're nice enough....except for her. Samantha Wellsby, some nosy little blueblood Gryffindor with her heart set on Knowing Everyone and doing Great Things and being Important, wouldn't stop pushing and pressing and snooping and finally learned where I was really from and who my parents really were and whatnot, and...it didn't go well. You see, Samantha had a little altercation with a bunch of piskies and a deer when she was younger, and since then she's haaaaated the fey (because fey and piskies are all just the same, right? That....speciesist jerk!) and our forests and everything within! She started harassing me, smirking and sniping and sharing her recipes for Pixie Stew out loud and oh, by the way, she had big plans over Summer Break that just happened to involve turning the forest encircling her mummy and daddy's estate into a sea of tree-stumps and stew-meat-to-be, and that last part was the last straw!

I was GOING to give her antlers, because someone told me about that spell and it felt right, but I messed up the spell a little SOMEHOW (ugh this magic is stupid anyways IT'S ALL MESSED UP) and....turned her all the way into a deer, right in front of everyone at breakfast. She ran off because of COURSE she did and was almost thrown in a pot by one of the cooks before our Transfiguration professor could calm her down and fix things.

I got in a lot of trouble, and she's still recovering (she's really skittish around fire now, and the smell of meat...she doesn't do well with it.), but she's not bothering me anymore, so I'm not that sorry.

Godfish posted:

On the other side, what went wrong when the humans failed to understand your magic?

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

GodFish posted:

Question 2
Himeko Okuda - The Wyrm
Putting Professor von Alfons to the side for a moment, who here at school do you find the most appealing? Is the attraction physical, mental, both, or something else? On the other hand, how did you deal with the pestering overtures of unrequited love you were facing from someone over the last year? Slytherins might look down on anyone muggleborn, and the rest of the wizarding world tends to treat anything muggle with mild, uncomprehending amusement, but how do you get along with students from the other houses who aren't interested in your gadgets?

You pose an interesting question! If you're talking love, I couldn't tell you. If you're talking attraction, then it's too many to count. And I have plenty of academic rivals, even if they're a lot more traditional than I am. But there is...one girl who I think might fit the bill, assuming we're not talking potential competition and candidates.

Amy Sperling, apparently of some German descent (apparently I have a thing for that), fits those other bills fine, but where she differs and becomes most interesting is in her...refinement. Someone out of a Victorian painting without all the icky truth of the era, perfect with tea and in dresses and gorgeous blonde curls, the very picture of British nobility, Received Pronunciation and all. She's actually got some Muggle blood herself, and while she's assimilating to the wizarding world as normal for the most part, she does have a fascination with guns. Why she's a Hufflepuff is a mystery for the ages, but the hat is never wrong, so I'll speculate on what it saw deep in her heart and future later.

Something about her makes me...covetous, but also envious and challenged. That's a combination no one else here has. (Less explicably, I keep wanting to make jokes about her head coming off, but that's not important right now.)

And last year? Tracy Reading? The Ravenclaw boy? The way he acted, he was convinced I was already his. The most distasteful kind of man, the one who thinks there's not a woman in the world who can resist him, sexuality be damned. It got to the point where even his friends wanted him to stop, but he wasn't deterred. The staff's ambivalence on homosexuality meant I had to take things into my own hands.

It was easy enough to arrange a meeting, and have the potions...administered. An inverse love potion is a difficult thing by wizard standards, but a bit of chemistry and biology takes care of that; the foundations of Polyjuice in vanity potions and other transformations is well-established, and the ingredients I needed hard to find. So I sent her off when the potion took effect, arranged for some boys to be present and inhale the pheromone cocktail on her body, and quietly went back to the dorm to read in peace. I haven't seen Tracy since.

...evidently, my earlier pronoun choice might be a bit off now, if the rumors are true. Suffice it to say that it appears I accidentally struck a chord. We'll see what happens, I suppose.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I get along best with Ravenclaw, because even if they don't care about my Muggle obsessions, they do respect my academic drive and capability as a wizard. (I used to spend a lot of time wishing I was Sorted there instead.) I'm an academic opponent for most of Gryffindor and the old rivalry lingers, and apparently not caring about Quidditch is strange to them, but they do give me sympathy for being in a house that hates me for what I am. (A lot of it's overly sycophantic for my tastes, but...) Hufflepuff...in my early years, they tried to comfort me, but it became clear that they held no truck with studiousness or ambition, so they tend to treat me like any other Slytherin. (And maybe they're right to...I can't respect people who aren't trying to move forward.)

Again, pictures might help, though...I think we'll want to leave our potentially-trans friend in a bit of ambiguity.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution

quote:

Ha! Good point. A lot of Gryffindors always did seem to have a bit of a superiority complex. So where would you want to be, if you could pick your own house now, ignoring motivations like a special someone who might be in a specific house?

No brainer - Hufflepuff, man. Bravery, the search for knowledge, ambition. That poo poo can all make you act like a tool. I'll stick with the folks who're known for not being pricks and helping each other out.

quote:

To look at the other end of things from before, what's your absolute worst experience in the magical world so far? And the best moment in the muggle world?

Worst experience on this side? I want to know who this Bertie rear end in a top hat is and why he decided that he needed to make candy that tastes like rotten meat. I think half the train was laughing at me and my... rather forceful reaction to the taste. Apparently the same trick gets played on most kids who don't come here from a magic-aware society.

Best experience back home? Probably the last time I went home for Christmas. My birthday's in October, and it's not like I can tell my "normal" friends to send an owl. I don't know - I guess I kind of expected them to forget me, what with no longer going to the same school and all, but there are a few that stuck around and ask surprisingly few questions about my nonexistent fancy boarding school.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

GodFish posted:

Second Questions
Harry Everard Vane - The Infernal
I can see it now, Harry Harry Vane. That sounds kind of gross actually lets just keep going.

So, when you aren't busy with friends, classwork or your fairy god professor, what do you do with your time? Who would you say your best friend is, what problem were they having a few weeks ago, and how did you help them with it? Did you go to Professor Delphi, or do it on you own?

Hobbies? Boy, I dunno, that's a tough one. Way back in second year I tried starting a role-playing game club, but it turns out no one is interested in pretending to cast spells when they can actually cast spells. You'd also be surprised to hear that I tried out for the Ravenclaw Quidditch team that year, but you won't be surprised to hear that I didn't make it. I was the team manager up through fourth year, though, and I still study the different Houses' strategies, and I go to every match that I can.

Oh yeah, and I already mentioned my recent project combining my interests in Astrological Prognostication and Ancient Runes that actually got published in a scholarly journal. That was quite fun. Apart from that, I mostly keep to myself. I do write a lot of poetry -- deep, brooding stuff that I don't think you'd want to read. I could tell that even Gustavus, who's normally very supportive, didn't have a lot to say about it when I read one to him. That's OK, though, I don't write for anyone else; I write for me.

Speaking of Gustavus, he's definitely been my closest friends since first year. There is this girl he's been into since forever -- Penny Postlethwaite; she's a Gryffindor. She's why I showed him some of my poetry to begin with, to see if I could inspire him to write something creative for her. As I said, that didn't really do it for him, and I mentioned before that I'm not keen on the D-Man getting all tangled up with my friends, or our love lives. So Gustavus and I came up with something a little more…elaborate...ourselves. I would jinx my own broom to make it look like someone was messing with me, and then fly around the courtyard all crazy screaming for help. The idea was that Gustavus would come to my rescue and Penny would swoon at his mad broom-handling skills (he is one of the Chasers on the Hufflepuff squad, after all). And it worked…well, sorta. The jinx operated just a little better than I expected, and I ended up really needing help. Gustavus took his sweet time because he was making sure that Penny was watching, so I tried to get over to him as fast as I could, but I just ended up colliding with him. We fell off our brooms together, and he ended up breaking his arm when we crashed through the greenhouse roof. I lost 20 points for Ravenclaw, and he had to miss two important Quidditch matches while he was healing up, but we're lucky neither of us were killed. Oh yeah, and our brooms weren't recovered until more than a week later when Professor Felicity spotted them in the branches of a tree in the Forbidden Forest. You'd think Gustavus would be pissed at me after all that, but as it turns out, Penny did come to visit him a bunch while he was in the infirmary, so he's too happy to be holding a grudge.

Apart from Gustavus, I maybe do homework together with a few of my fellow Ravenclaws, but there's not one particular person I hang out with a lot. There is this one girl, though…Alora. She's in Slytherin, but she's actually really nice. I just haven't had the chance to get her away from her friends yet. Unfortunately, she's not in any of my classes, so I can't work the "can you help me with my homework?" angle. I hear she's in the Dueling Club, though; maybe I should check that out.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Question 2
Juniper - The Fae
Who knows the truth about where you've transferred from? What is it like back home, if you can describe it in human words. Out of all the places in and around Hogwarts, which makes you feel the most like you're back there?

Over here, most people treat words as if they were worthless, just meaningless wind to tell people what they want to hear. Tell me about a promise that was made to you, and what you did when it was broken. And who made you a promise you were sure they would break, and how did they keep it?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

GodFish posted:

Second Questions
Alastrina Lunete Medrod - The Ghost
Trina, aside from your old 'friend' Secilia, who else do you haunt? Who was the last person to trigger your ghostly wrath, what did they do and what did you do to them? Have you ever regretted the consequences of one of your hauntings?

I only haunt those who have it coming. People who go out of their way to strike fear into someone else's heart deserve to feel the pain they inflict. Their fear and panic, it almost makes eternity feel worthwhile. So what I do is I find someone who's been crushed by those jackals, I sit them aside and... well, they talk about it, but it's almost as if I'm taking their negativity away and holding it for myself. Then I unleash it all at the bully and everything feels better. It's a nice feeling, like bliss, but so fleeting. It's become a habit of mine, "fixing" those girls who are headed where I am.

I can't change the past. I channel my hatred of that fact toward bettering the future. Though...

Last spring there was a boy, Edward Noel, who had been goading his friends to call Cedric Welringer "Dead-ric" and make awful pictures of him sitting in a coffin. First of all, that is no way to respect the deceased, and second, Cedric's his own bloody person! Cedric is a name just like anyone else's. Poor kid getting harassed for no good reason. So I talk to Cedric in the courtyard and of course he had nothing to do with it and Edward was just being cruel. The next evening I sat up in the Loft and waited...

When Edward started walking outside, I dropped, shrieking at him. I passed right through his body and stayed face-down on the ground as the chill registered with him. He took a step back to see what was going on and -SNAP- I crank my head around to stare at him with my bloodied face. He was absolutely terrified, and I loved it!

Well, as it turns out, Cedric was actually the instigator for the whole thing. He was caught snogging with Belle Carradine, who was supposed to be Edward's girlfriend! Edward was... at least partially justified in his actions. I didn't hear his side of the story, or any of his friends for that matter. That's what I get for jumping to conclusions. Now Edward's even more of a mess and Cedric got away with it! What a lowlife, acting like the victim, pretending he's in the right. I might have traumatized someone because of some boy's ego.

Oh, I forgot to mention. I didn't sustain any injuries when I became a ghost, but my clothes are bloody as hell. My face does end up worse for wear when I haunt, but it's nothing I can't undo... Unlike other things.

Monk E
May 19, 2009

GodFish posted:

Mala Silvers - The Ghoul
Scaring people is easy, but I assume just jumping out from behind a suit of armor yelling 'boo!' isn't enough to satiate your urges, any more than a Cauldron Cake is a satisfying meal. What are some of the things you've taken to doing to beat your hunger, what was the worst thing you've done to someone, and did you feel bad about it afterwards? Do you feel properly alive afterwards?

Quite true I’m afraid if all that was required was an occasional shouting suit of armor or a well-placed Nose-Biting Teacup every now and then there wouldn’t be much of an issue heck if anything my old friends love stuff like that reminds them of the “good old days” or I guess more precisely the good old me, no to truly feel satiety there needs to be fear a far more deep level a…hypothetical example would be that the sort of fleeting fear one would get if they were knocked out by a spell miscast due to a distraction would barely register whereas the lingering fear their relative would feel from a particularly heavily exaggerated account of the wounds inflicted would be far more fulfilling.

As for the worst thing I’ve done well back when me and dad were still going back and forth on the subject of my so called “miraculous recovery” I had the idea to play dead one morning and see if he would try and repeat whatever he did, or at least that’s what I told myself looking back I probably was just looking for sustenance. Regardless feigning death was quite easy as you could imagine but when dad found me he didn’t take out a goblet of forbidden magic or something he just reacted exactly the way you would think a man who was afraid he just lost his daughter would which is to say he suffered a panic attack. As for feeling alive I suppose I felt great physically though I was in no condition to revel in it, even if I don’t believe dads story I still know he didn’t deserve that and I still feel bad about it to this day.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Mala Silvers - The Ghoul
Do you have any ideas or suspicions about how your miraculous recovery was brought about? Have you ever died again since then, and if you did what was it like coming back? At school, is there anyone in particular you target to satisfy yourself, or do you spread it around? Aside from the fear of others, is there anything that still lights that old spark inside of you?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Alright, I'll be closing apps in about 4 hours. You'll have a bit more time to finish off any remaining questions, and then I'll either make picks when everyone has answered or sometime tomorrow.

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff

GodFish posted:

Artemis "Artie" Armistead - The Gorgon
There was an incident involving petrification here at Hogwarts about 20 years back now. Obviously to anyone whose heard even a little bit about it, it's clearly different from what's happening with you, but when has that ever stopped people. Have you heard any rumors that you could tell were actually about you? Has any cute boy (or girl) caught your... not eyes lets say, but, interest? What do you think they think of you, and do you have any plans for making a move?

Right, the basilisk. What is it with snakes and petrifying things? Anyway, I haven't heard any rumors about that yet, but I did overhear some people talking about one of the girls I accidentally gave a glance. Apparently, she's been acting weird and paranoid, saying that she feels like somebody's watching her all the time. Side effects, I guess? I should be more careful, making people paranoid just makes things worse for the weird girl with the scary eyes. And, you know, messing with people's brains isn't good.

And, well, there is this girl in Divinations class, I think her name is Sasha. I mean, uh, it's nothing like that, it's just that I never see her talking to anybody else and I can't help sympathizing. There's that, and I've kind of caught her, uh, stalking me? Is it weird that I find that flattering? At any rate, maybe I could hit two birds with one stone if I start sitting next to her. Divinations gives plenty of things to talk about, anyway, and it would be nice to have someone to talk to besides my journal.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

GodFish posted:

Question 2
Juniper - The Fae
Who knows the truth about where you've transferred from? What is it like back home, if you can describe it in human words. Out of all the places in and around Hogwarts, which makes you feel the most like you're back there?

Over here, most people treat words as if they were worthless, just meaningless wind to tell people what they want to hear. Tell me about a promise that was made to you, and what you did when it was broken. And who made you a promise you were sure they would break, and how did they keep it?

Everyone thinks the Hufflepuffs are dumb or unimportant or useless! Their mascot is a badger and their most famous student is remembered for being good at dying or something. But, they're clever in their own way, and they're observant, and....Gretchen Magrite, this girl in my Care of Magical Creatures class...well, she's got an eye and a fondness for anything inhuman (even Filch's cat), and one day after class, we....she followed me when I snuck off to this little grove out near the Herbology professor's greenhouse that reminds me of home (the way it smells, the way it feels, the quiet), and caught me alone, and....she wasn't going to tell, but she....asked me about stuff. Faery stuff. She didn't exactly say that I had to keep coming back every Wednesday after class and talk to her for exactly an hour and a minute every week, but...that's how these things work, I suppose.

At least she's not a jerk.

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 9, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Picks will be done tomorrow when I get up!

Monk E
May 19, 2009

GodFish posted:

Mala Silvers - The Ghoul
Do you have any ideas or suspicions about how your miraculous recovery was brought about? Have you ever died again since then, and if you did what was it like coming back? At school, is there anyone in particular you target to satisfy yourself, or do you spread it around? Aside from the fear of others, is there anything that still lights that old spark inside of you?

How it happened well I have never taken much of an interest in the dark arts but from what I’ve gleaned from defense against the dark arts and general hearsay one of the more prominent abilities one can obtain through it is the ability to alter the souls orientation to an inanimate object allowing the subject to avoid dying with the body. Now unless dads far sneakier than I took him for (which is still entirely possible) he’s no expert in the dark arts but if he were to say have an object designed specifically for the task then I believe that it’s fully possible he performed such a ritual of that sort.

As for dying again yes one time slipped on some ice and cracked my skull sort of an unimpressive framing device for a description of the journey to the afterlife I know. The sensations were much more vivid but not particularly concrete my life definitely flashed before my eyes and there was definitely a pulling sensation when I was coming back but mostly there was noise and light though seeing as I had just brain damaged myself to death I can’t say for sure where my brains death throes ended and afterlife began.

The people I scare tend to be well I hate to say it but hufflepuff is ripe with the sort of folks who are good for a quick fix I mean to be fair I’m sort of the same way so I feel kind of bad saying it like that. One other sourceI’ve come to rely on in particular is the new students from muggle backgrounds who haven’t quite gotten used to the idea of ghosts actually existing, apparently once it gets through to them its they can think about for a while which makes them rather easy targets for even something as simple as a shouting suit of armor.

What makes me feel well “alive” well one thing that I feel I’ve gained is an appreciation of quiet moments you know like watching the sun set over the forbidden forest watching snowfall from indoors things like that. While I wouldn’t say those moments made me feel quite as alive as fear I would certainly say they have brought me a great deal of comfort.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
So.

You all made this really, really hard. If you didn't make it, please don't feel like there was anything wrong with your app, it was fantastic, I don't think I've seen a pool of apps so consistently good before. I'd have loved to take every single one or run 5 games, but I'm not that insane. So, if anyone else wants to run Harry Potter MH games we've got a lot of excellent apps right here.

The Cast:
1. Julius Sinactio The Slytherin Queen by K Prime
2. Maxine Collingwood-Vocaine The Slytherin Hollow by LurksWithWolves
3. Natalie Saul The Slytherin Chosen by Rauri
4. Fergie Lowell The Gryffindor Werewolf by thatbastardken

Everybody who got in, now is the time to start working out your backstory strings with each other and once that's done, please post at least the final versions of your string sheets here, and edit them in during gameplay either from the string post or from your character sheet.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Added some links because it seemed convenient.

Anyway, backgrounds. I'm thinking either Julius or Natalie saw through my invented backstory. They're both clever enough and spend enough time near her to see through it, and they're both the type of person I want suspecting me the least. I got the feeling I'd end up as Natalie's initial Crisis To Stop To Be More Like Harry Potter this year if I picked her for this and I'm not sure if I really want that, but I'll have to think about this more.

For who to take social cues from, I'm trying to decide between Fergie and Julius. On one hand, Fergie seems to have a good head on her shoulders for someone who gets detention every month and she's not another Slytherin. On the other hand, there's probably a lot of pressure for me to act like a Slytherin and Julius is the sliest Slytherin who ever slithered. Whatever, I'll wait to see what the rest of you decide on for backgrounds before I set anything in stone.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

quote:

You have two friends who you can rely on for monster-slaying support. Take a String on each.

Julius is my Ron, in the sense that he's the total opposite of Ron but I need him to fit the role. See, he's definitely rich and not-ginger, and he's actually more popular than I am. So, not Ron so far, right? But the thing is, we've been friends ever since we came to Hogwarts. Neither of us are concerned with blood status, and both of us think most of our housemates are pretty stupid for a supposed gathering of the cunning, so we've always gotten along rather well. But after he heard about my idea to become the most famous auror of all time, he immediately founded his Private Dueling Society. Think he's kinda envious of me, to be honest - and I'm certain he knows I'm the better duelist between us. Still, he's clever and cool and I'm glad we're friends. Trust me, if you asked me to pick anyone in the school to back me up, I'd pick him.

Fergie's my Hermione. She's a Gryffindor, and you wouldn't believe how good she is at the subjects I'm rubbish at, which really comes in handy. She's surprisingly gentle and nervous for a Gryffindor, but I can always count on her telling me the truth, not just what I want to hear. It's important to have people like that around when you're becoming a celebrity, so you don't get big-headed. Plus, even though she's always getting detentions, her advice has saved me from probably months of them - and from what the Headmaster told me, she's the one that found me dying on the Quidditch pitch from Acromantula venom. So I owe her at least one.

quote:

There’s someone who knows that you’re the Chosen one, and wants you dead. The MC gives them a name and two Strings on you.

I wouldn't be too worried about this one, it's probably Voldemort between Godfish and myself.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 10, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
One of the "Ron and Hermione"s could be an NPC as well if it'd work better considering the characters.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Aww yeah, only Gryffindor in a nest of Slytherin. So loving doomed.

quote:

You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.

You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

Basically, everyone knows that Fergie is kind of quiet and nervous for a Gryffindor, seems to get a lot of detentions for no readily apparent reason, avoids sports and probably doesn't have a great relationship with her family (First year Howler about getting Sorted into Gryffindor was an early clue) but works really hard in classes that most students hate.

If Natalie has roped Fergie in to helping her with 'adventures' as some kind of ersatz Hermione that's probably who she has been watching. Ambition and a desire to defeat monsters make her nervous, but better the devil you know, right?

Edit: I'll put something here about Fergie's perspective on the adventures Natalie involved her in.

quote:

Yeah, the second year 'Acromantula incident' was pretty much the first time I got involved with Natalie. I was out by the the edge of the Forbidden Forest, sniffing about for the traces of werewolf that have been bugging me since first year. Didn't find anything useful, but I did see Nat stumbling out of the forest, running blind and yelling about spiders. By the time I caught up with her she was halfway to the Quidditch pitch, and more than halfway dead. She was lucky I'd been reading about Acromantula for...unrelated reasons, recognized the bite, applied a bit of first aid and then hauled her to the infirmary. I doubt she even realized, she was hallucinating pretty wildly at that point.

She definitely didn't learn anything from the experience, because she's dragged me in to a few more 'adventures' since then. Probably the worst was when she tried to sneak down to Hogsmeade on some daft attempt to trap a dark wizard, and ended up in a nest of Red Caps. Little brutes would have had her for lunch if Julius and I hadn't been following her - his idea, I might add - and we burst in screaming and indiscriminately spraying hexes around until they stopped moving. Had bruises on my bruises for days afterwards. It was a very interesting opportunity to use our Defense against the Dark Arts training, but the excitement very nearly forced a change out of me. I'd forgotten how close it was to full moon. I don't think anyone noticed me growling though.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 10, 2015

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

You find someone threatening. Give them a String on you,
and take two Strings on them.

Something's not right about that Fergie- and not just because she refused to visit the club! There is definitely something wrong with her, above and beyond what is wrong with Gryffindors in general (kidding, Robbie.) I don't like unknowns. I don't like not knowing. I aim to figure this out.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Anyway, backgrounds. I'm thinking either Julius or Natalie saw through my invented backstory. They're both clever enough and spend enough time near her to see through it, and they're both the type of person I want suspecting me the least. I got the feeling I'd end up as Natalie's initial Crisis To Stop To Be More Like Harry Potter this year if I picked her for this and I'm not sure if I really want that, but I'll have to think about this more.

I'll snag this for Natalie, provided K Prime doesn't want it or anything like that.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Rauri posted:

I'll snag this for Natalie, provided K Prime doesn't want it or anything like that.

Honestly, Natalie's the more interesting choice out of the two of you for that background. Anyway, since I've had some time to think about it, here are my finalized backgrounds.

quote:

You’ve been taking your social cues
from someone, and doing so has
taught you a lot about them. Gain 2
Strings on them.

You know what's annoying? Being told that you need to act more like a Slytherin when you have no idea what acting like a Slytherin even means. Annoying enough that I've started watching how Julius acts around school to try to figure it out, in any case. (As far as I can tell, acting like a Slytherin requires being utterly self-assured when people are watching and being a complete scumbag when you think no one is. Not that I'm accusing him of anything, of course. Why would I ever do something like that to a fellow Slytherin?)

quote:

Someone’s seen through your
invented past, and realized it’s all lies.
Give them 2 Strings on you.

Natalie Saul keeps giving me the oddest looks when we run into each other. Which is odd, because I'm not that strange. Then again, I did hear that she has a weird Harry Potter thing going. Maybe she thinks I'm some sort of dark wizard out to ruin the school or something.

I'll leave it up to Rauri to decide how Natalie figured out that her history's a complete fraud, since Maxine has even figured that out herself.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Natalie Saul keeps giving me the oddest looks when we run into each other. Which is odd, because I'm not that strange. Then again, I did hear that she has a weird Harry Potter thing going. Maybe she thinks I'm some sort of dark wizard out to ruin the school or something.

I'll leave it up to Rauri to decide how Natalie figured out that her history's a complete fraud, since Maxine has even figured that out herself.

Well, no sooner did this year start than I started to notice something was wrong with Maxine. New student? That basically never happens, of course I was interested. A new student might very well be a tool of whoever was Imperiusing those students - and sadly, that might well be the case. No student record - Fergie played lookout for me while I used my Proudbadge to get into the record room, and there's nothing on her before this year. She doesn't taste things either - kinda suspected it once I started observing her, and I know she should've tasted the sulfur I tipped into her cauldron during Potions yesterday.

The two questions I have are, one - is she dangerous? Two - Is whatever she is rare or interesting? That'd be pretty great for, uh, reasons.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Teachers
Prof. Shewsbury: DADA Teacher, Sponsor of the Private Dueling Society. She's enthusiastic, frustrated by slow curriculum.
Prof. Collingwood: Charms Teacher, young, 'charming', cool mysterious and subject of unspeakable rumors. Maxine's "mom."
Prof. Angle: Transfiguration Teacher, young, male, attractive! Runs official Dueling contests. Didn't attend Hogwarts, doesn't allow photos taken.
Prof. Susan Armstrong: Doesn't appear to teach anything. Rumored to be school security, possibly an Auror. Former(?) family friend of Ma Lowell. Keeps putting Fergie in detentions.

Students
Hufflepuff
Gregory Twems: Cute smile, funny jokes, going out with Arthur Richfield. Avoids Maxine.
Claire Gray: Good at Care of Magical Creatures. Pleasant, gets good grades, polite. Dating Mark Matthews.
Oliver Cauldwell: Year 7, Quidditch beater. Smells amazing to Fergie (strong, earthy smells)
Thomas: Member of the Private Dueling Society. Embodies the "Hard Work" bit the Hufflepuff creed and increasingly angry that it wasn't resulting in any recognition.
Norton: Had been complaining about Julius' "ill intentions" and "nasty cultism" until Julius helped him into the club.
Teritolous Arentino: Goes by Terry. Pureblood, rich, first of his family in generations to not be a Slytherin. How did he end up in Hufflepuff?

Ravenclaw
Arthur Richfield: Seeker, going out with Gregory Twems.
Mark Matthews: Keeper for the Quidditch team. Natalie fancies him but he's dating Claire Gray.
Edmund Heathcliff: Brooding potions prodigy. Old family, suspicious lack of history during the Wizarding Wars.
Zhong Chou: Thinks he's clever, snoops around where he isn't wanted and asks really personal questions. Currently looking at Fergie.
Regina: Member of the Private Dueling Society. Would be Slytherin if she didn't like reading so much. Tends toward physical aggression. Fell hard for Julius.
Anna Stewart: Year 5. Imperiused to break into the potions office. Saved by Natalie.

Slytherin
Jennifer Hoyle: Maxine's best friend, charming, intelligent, single.
Alora: Member of the Private Dueling Society. 100% obviously out to usurp Julius. Easy to handle.
Talia Barker: Imperiused to watch Peeves location at all times. Saved by Natalie.
Don Matson: Quidditch Beater, generally quiet, but seems to have friends in all the houses.

Gryffindor
Esmeralda Thatcher: Snores. Muggle-born, despite being sixth year is still painfully excited about magic and Hogwarts.
Simon Sewett: Skin condition. Not using Horcruxes.
Herbert Strong: Imperiused to break into the DADA office. Saved by Natalie.
Catulus Caecilious: Dull dull dull, Jennifer claims he has a thing for Maxine.
Shirley Holmgren: Quidditch Chaser. Good at Dueling, wants to get better. Popular among Gryffindors.
Delmont Hannily: Responsible for winning Gryffindor the house cup last year. Not very popular in other houses as a result.
Cory Slate: Terrible. Part of a connection chain to Fergie.

Parents
Mr. Saul: Editor at the Daily Prophet
Ms. Saul: Undersecretary at the Ministry
Prof. Collingwood: Charms Teacher, young, 'charming', cool mysterious and subject of unspeakable rumors. Maxine's "mom."
Ma Lowell: Proud Werewolf, big on 'ancient and sacred cultural traditions'. Spends all day doped up on Wolfsbane Potion and Valium. Big fan of Fenrir Greyback.
Da Lowell: Proud(?) Werewolf, lives in a tiny cottage in the Hebrides. Big fan of Fenrir Greyback.
Mr and Ms Sinactio: Pureblood, rich, old family.

Other
Roderick Brown: May or may not exist: A dark wizard reported to be in Hogsmeade by notes leading Natalie into a trap.

The Focus Class will be Defense Against the Dark Arts.

Lectures are boring. Everyone thinks this. So whenever possible Professor Shewsbury avoids them, instead running practical lessons. For the majority of her DADA lessons, students stand around the room, observe her demonstrate on the raised platform in the center, then practice amongst themselves, or in turns on the platform depending on the subject of the day.

The Classroom

Please locate where you usually stand, and one to two NPC students somewhere in the classroom, and post a quick description. Feel free to move people around to fit what you have in mind.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 1, 2015

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

GodFish posted:

The Classroom

Please locate where you usually stand, and one to two NPC students somewhere in the classroom, and post a quick description. Feel free to move people around to fit what you have in mind.

Just arbitrarily tossed Maxine and Jennifer Hoyle into the classroom and put Catulus uncomfortably close to Maxine.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
String Sheet!

Make sure I didn't gently caress anything up!

Also, highlights!
Julius highlight Fergie
Fergie highlight Natalie
Natalie highlight Maxine
Maxine highlight Julius.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

GodFish posted:

Maxine highlight Julius.

I'll be honest, the main reason I haven't posted a highlight yet is because I couldn't come up with a witty way to say that I'm highlighting Julius' Cold. So yeah.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Maxine's got a Darkness about her, it's intriguing...

Natalie's on the map, sitting next to Fergie so I can get detentions for explaining my bizarre (but later confirmed wholly correct) theories on what's REALLY going on at Hogwarts to her.

As for an NPC or two, all the ones from my backstory aren't in our year so here's two new ones.

Mark Matthews - Ravenclaw, Keeper for the Quidditch team. Natalie fancies him but he's dating...
Claire Gray - Hufflepuff. Good at Care of Magical Creatures. Pleasant, gets good grades, polite.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 13, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

drat, Natalie, your Hot-blooded antics are going to get us killed. Or worse, expelled!

Spare NPCs from our year:

Fergie's roommate and terrible snorer fellow Gryffindor Esmeralda Thatcher. Muggle-born, despite being sixth year is still painfully excited about magic and Hogwarts.

Edmund Heathcliff, Ravenclaw, brooding potions prodigy. Old family, suspicious lack of history during the Wizarding Wars.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 14, 2015

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Fergie is gonna have to keep her Cool around me or we're going to have words.

(I'm skimping out and dropping Thomas and Alora on my flanks because what kind of queen would I be without minions at my immediate call)

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Julius, what will drive your gang into blind action? What demand does your gang regularly put on you?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

GodFish posted:

Julius, what will drive your gang into blind action?
They're a prideful bunch. Which is part of the point, of course, but it means that they're really easy to rile by insulting their skills. Someone showing them up or taunting them might just be enough to start a fight.

quote:

What demand does your gang regularly put on you?
Every so often, someone steps up like they mean to fight me. So far, I've... avoided direct dueling. It would be unseemly and make me seem common. I usually shut them down some other way.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Ugh, sorry this is taking so long everybody. I haven't forgotten this, and I should have the thread up thursday? friday? :x at the latest.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 24, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

This wouldn't be an issue if the Ministry had just approved Natalie's request for a Time Turner; she'd let you borrow it Godfish.

Looking forward to the thread going up :)

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Fancy a Harry Potter fangirl like her not knowing he broke them all during the battle at the ministry!

Or did he?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

eh, they can make more. just need to steal the souls of some master watchmakers.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Okay wednesday didn't happen, but I'm getting closer :x

We have a full npc list now at least!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
The thread is up!

Really sorry this took so long :x

Julius: Highlight Dark
Maxine: Highlight Hot
Natalie: Highlight Cold
Fergie: Highlight Hot

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I meant to ask this awhile ago, who are the Sixth year Prefects for the different houses. Slytherins should figure theirs out together, Fergie do at least one Gryffindor one, then everyone else do one of the Hufflepuff/Ravenclaw/the second Gryffindor one, and I'll make the last.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Gryffindor 6th Year Girls Prefect - Allana Peterson. Called Stoneface behind her back because of her dogged adherence to rules and grim expression. Would probably be a pariah if she wasn't also a highly effective Keeper, responsible for keeping Gryffindor top ranked last year with an impressive number of goals stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

I'm probably completely botching what to call the positions, but whatever.

Slytherin Head Boy: Brian Wilcombe, who won't be able to do his job while he's busy being missing.
Slytherin Head Girl: Jennifer Hoyle, who has to do all the work because...
Slytherin Prefect: Don Matson is too busy being the cool prefect that everyone likes to actually act like a prefect.

Ravenclaw Prefect or Head Boy or whatever: Zhong Chou, who either has more dirt on more people than he lets on or just got kind of lucky. Well, or whoever chooses these positions just likes him, but what are the odds of that?

• Locked thread